• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why PS4 downloads are so slow (testing and answers within)

Someone actually went through and tested PS4 download speeds and got some interesting results. Here's the conclusion but the entire thing is worth reading:

If any applications are running, the PS4 appears to change the settings for PSN store downloads, artificially restricting their speed. Closing the other applications will remove the limit. There are a few important details:

- Just leaving the other applications running in the background will not help. The exact same limit is applied whether the download progress bar is in the foreground or not.
- Putting the PS4 into rest mode might or might not help, depending on your system settings.
- The artificial limit applies only to the PSN store downloads. It does not affect e.g. the built-in speedtest. This is why the speedtest might report much higher speeds than the actual downloads, even though both are delivered from the same CDN servers.
- Not all applications are equal; most of them will cause the connections to slow down by up to a factor of 5. Some games will cause a difference of about a factor of 100. Some games will start off with the factor of 5, and then migrate to the factor of 100 once you leave the start menu and start playing.
- The above limits are artificial. In addition to that, actively playing a game can cause game downloads to slow down. This appears to be due to a genuine lack of CPU resources (with the game understandably having top priority).

So if you're seeing slow downloads, just closing all the running applications might be worth a shot. (But it's obviously not guaranteed to help. There are other causes for slow downloads as well, this will just remove one potential bottleneck). To close the running applications, you'll need to long-press the PS button on the controller, and then select "Close applications" from the menu.

The PS4 doesn't make it very obvious exactly what programs are running. For games, the interaction model is that opening a new game closes the previously running one. This is not how other apps work; they remain in the background indefinitely until you explicitly close them.

And it's gets worse than that. If your PS4 is configured to suspend any running apps when put to rest mode, you can seemingly power on the machine into a clean state, and still have a hidden background app that's causing the OS to limit your PSN download speeds.

This might explain some of the superstitions about this on the Internet. There are people who swear that putting the machine to rest mode helps with speeds, others who say it does nothing. Or how after every firmware update people will report increased download speeds. Odds are that nothing actually changed in the firmware; it's just that those people had done their first full reboot in a while, and finally had a system without a background app running.

https://www.snellman.net/blog/archive/2017-08-19-slow-ps4-downloads/

Dawg

My downloads used to be slow, like 1MB/s. But then they went and changed something to PSN I guess not too long ago because now I'm getting like 15-20MB/s.

spons

Gold Member
If you manually download something from PSN, it's blazing fast. I easily hit my bandwidth limit through their HTTP content servers, yet via the PS4 it just doesn't work that way.

I've always suspected this was the case. If I close all applications or put the PS4 into rest mode, my speeds are actually pretty fast.

bombshell

Interesting and follows my own experience that I max out my internet connection download speed when I have no applications running.

Wow. More proof they need a system wide remodel of PSN

PS4 restricting download speeds when having running applications due to prioritizing system resources to the open applications instead of the download has zero to do with PSN.

Xando

PSN is weird.

Sometimes i download with full speed without anything running and sometimes only with 1MB/s.

Sometimes restarting my PS4 helps, sometims it doesn't.

nelchaar

I rarely have apps open when downloading and it's still shit.

More often than not the download speed will be blazing fast at the begging, the it slows down to snails pace a min or so later.

I have noticed the slow downloads when I started a game. Now I know why it happens. I don't think this has happened to me on Xbox One though.

Yeah, that's why I'll just download any game bigger than 1gb overnight instead of downloading while playing. The difference is huge.

ZangBa

I thought this was obvious already? I always restart my PS4 once I need to start downloading things to clear whatever bullshit it might be doing in the background. Literally doing anything will slow download speeds on this thing.

I mean, it makes sense since the data has to physically be written to the disc while the game also needs to read data from it at the same time. If people have been complaining about PSN DL speeds due to this, then lol.

I have had 100/100 for a while now and get pretty much 10MB/s most of the time, but if I'm downloading something relatively big I'm not playing a game or really doing anything at the same time, since it doesn't take very long.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This might explain why I seem to get better speeds than a lot of other people on PSN since I always close non game apps when I'm done.

Steel

Banned
Even when I'm not playing a game, downloads on my PS4 are much much slower than downloads on my computer through steam.

bargeparty

There's was a whole thing on reddit where a user was testing this and concluded that the main issue was the different download servers. Some were better than others and you could get around it by having a local proxy you set the PS4 to use. It would be pretty easy to search for and find the posts.

spons

Gold Member
There's was a whole thing on reddit where a user was testing this and concluded that the main issue was the different download servers. Some were better than others and you could get around it by having a local proxy you set the PS4 to use. It would be pretty easy to search for and find the posts.

Strange. I've never had it dip under my max speed, which isn't very fast, but it's still a stable 5 MB/s. That's directly from their content servers (game updates). It always maxes out. Always.

Through Vita or PS4 is an entirely different story though. I 100% believe it's their software or hardware causing this, not the content servers themselves.

Wow, was wondering why that rest mode fix was even a thing. Seems like a weird feature to hide from users, or to even include at all.

Also doesn't help that the PS4 doesn't support 5ghz wifi.

Behlel

That's what your connection should give you as it maxes out.

You didn't convert your numbers 30Mbps is 3MB.
30 mbps is 3.75MB/s more or less. A 84mbps connection have a download of 10.4MB/s but with psn i got something between 1MB and the cap and an average around 9MB/s so not so bad.

N7.Angel

PSN is garbage, a lot better than it was during the PS3 times or at the beginning of this generation but still under the competition.

Kilau

With the 4.7 firmware (I believe, the big firmware before 5.0) I went from 2/3 MB/s to 7/10 MB/s for EVERY download.

Yeah my download speeds went way up I guess around that firmware. Rough estimation is 10-13 MB/s most of the time. Not maxing my connection but way better.

N7.Angel

This isn't a problem with PSN, did you bother reading the article before posting?

Bro it's a part of the problem, with or without applications running, PSN servers are far from being great, I'm not saying OP is wrong or anything but the PSN is not optimal, i'm far for downloading stuff at my full speed, just saying.

ADS

Bro it's a part of the problem, with or without applications running, PSN servers are far from being great, I'm not saying OP is wrong or anything but the PSN is not optimal, i'm far for downloading stuff at my full speed, just saying.

The article clearly states that the CDNs are quite fast. Please read the article.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Someone posted to me a way to configure your router or whatever to download faster on PS4. I didn't bother doing it.

Derekor

I'm not sure what happened on my end either. Used to get about 1-2 Mbps. For the past half a year I've been getting a consistent 40-50 Mbps on Bell Fibe.

Won't complain!

N7.Angel

The article clearly states that the CDNs are quite fast. Please read the article.

So if you're seeing slow downloads, just closing all the running applications might be worth a shot. (But it's obviously not guaranteed to help. There are other causes for slow downloads as well, this will just remove one potential bottleneck).

It say this as well...

Hm, been reading up on that Reddit thread and I wonder it setting up a proxy server on a VPS (like DigitalOcean) would help. Doing a local proxy server wouldn't be very convenient.

I get upwards of 15 MB a second all the way down to 3 MB. I run my PS4 through a DMZ on my router. Seems like I varies based on what I'm downloading.

Gurnlei

Nice to see all the slow downloads on PSN have some merit. Now Sony needs to fix it for PS5 - I've lost hope for them fixing it sooner than that.

dracula_x

I thought that was known. If you want to achieve maximum download speed on PS4 you need to close all applications and put your system in rest mode.

Blanquito

Just finished reading this as well. Cool analysis, interesting that PSN itself seems to be fine, it's just the PS4 OS that's the bottleneck.

Fisty

Yeah I always figured downloads were shifted to the secondary chip or whatever in there when other stuff was running. If I want something to download fast, I just put it into rest mode since I have suspend turned off always.

Naliem

I can't get more than 3MB/s which is very low compared with my PC donwloads and my internet connection (300Mb download). Both with the same cable, Steam downloads at 38Mb/s which is normal as it uses my full connection and the PS4 just 3Mb...

I've tried everything now but I guess there's no solution...

senj

Article: experimentally demonstrates via analyzing packets sent through proxy that the overwhelming problem is the OS setting an absurdly small receive window on the network socket pretty much anytime anything is running, sanity and common sense be damned

GAF: vague complaints about PSN demonstrating no understanding of article

senj

So this issue is connected to the subprocessor that the PS4 OS can't use?

I still can't understand how they could botch this.
No, the issue is that the OS is artificially kneecapping its network connection to PSN servers whenever anything is running, apparently out of a wildly over conservative desire to avoid starving any other game or app of resources (which makes sense on paper, but a 7K receive window cap is absurdly silly).

Edit: to be clear, it's 100% an OS software issue, 100% fixable simply by changing whatever code in the UI reacts to application launches by choosing to clamp the network socket's receive window to the size of a thimble.

Only a local proxy would improve speeds, remote proxies would not. The issue is that the PS4 varies a parameter that defines how much data it will accept until the server (or the proxy if one is used) will have to wait for an acknowledgment that the data actually was received.

Putting a proxy on the same network means that the ACK will be received without much latency and that will speed things up. If it goes through your internet connection to some other proxy it will likely create the same issue as directly using the CDN.

For users the easiest way will likely be to close all Apps and if that doesn't help to do a full reboot to get to regular download speeds.

Overall the speed limiting seems to be intentional (going by the article) and the way it is controlled by the OS is a pretty weak implementation. They would have to adapt it at least so that the limit only kicks in when the foreground application or game actually needs the network (to stream video or play online) instead of doing it always regardless of what's happening.

Top Bottom