• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT - Official Trailer 1

I'd never describe Curry's performance as a "silly normal clown". It's really not. That performance scared the living hell out of me as a kid, and I still find it unsettling. It is a pretty big deviation from the books, though. And while I still find it unsettling and interesting, it's not scary to grown-up me.

The new one, as seen in the clip, is scary as hell to me now, though. Maybe that's the difference. Curry's was a child's version of a scary clown. The new one is what an adult knows to be scared of, but would get past a young child. (Such as Georgie.) And as More_Badass said, it's much more nuanced and in line with the book.

Edit:

Like, I find that really creepy and effective.
People rant about the Pennywise scene in the library, even though the whole "Prince Albert in a Can" bit was featured in the novel. They act like the novel's Pennywise didn't say some goofy-ass shit, when the novel's Pennywise said stuff like "
You can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man!"
and
"I have come to rob all the women... rape all the men... and learn to do the Peppermint Twist!"

And you mentioned the child version versus adult version, which I feel is the biggest difference between the new movie and the novel. The novel was all "child version", which was a theme in the book itself (childhood boundless imagination versus adult logic and cynicism). This movie is more of an adult's take on the story of "It", the look Pennywise, telltale mannerisms and the more "grounded" fears the Losers will have to combat. Not bad, considering it IS a new take on the story, but not super TRUE to the novel either. It is its own thing (its own "beast", so to speak), and there is nothing wrong with that. A true adaptation of the novel would be impossible. Especially considering so much of the story takes place within the minds of the characters (lots of inner thoughts and remembering times that remind them of other times).

Spoo

Some impressions from a guy who saw the final cut of the movie:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ItTheMovie...an_advanced_press_screening_of_it_last_night/

I looked through it. Wouldn't say there are any major spoilers there -- the guy is pretty considerate with not going overboard with info. Major things I saw: Skarsgard does great, the R-rating is used very well, and the focus of the movie is very much the kids. Some other nuggets there if you want to dig through it.

Jarmel

Banned

https://www.reddit.com/r/ItTheMovie...an_advanced_press_screening_of_it_last_night/

I looked through it. Wouldn't say there are any major spoilers there -- the guy is pretty considerate with not going overboard with info. Major things I saw: Skarsgard does great, the R-rating is used very well, and the focus of the movie is very much the kids. Some other nuggets there if you want to dig through it.

All of this seems good. I'm not wild about the jump scares bit but we'll see how it's handled. Kids being solid is great news but not surprising. I'm curious about Ritchie though as the 'voices' is probably going to be super hard to do.

Miles X

Even MORE hyped. Lots of gore = happy me. I didn't want this toned down at all.

Timu

If we get more impressions like this then It may deliver!

I mean - jump scares are going to be in this movie.

They're a part of the horror genre in general.

People are acting like the mere presence of them is somehow cheapening the experience pre-emptively.

There's like, 6 of them in ALIEN. Which is the greatest horror film ever made. So I mean... if you're gonna be snobby about the fact your horror movie shouts "boo" every now and again, I don't know what to say.

It's gonna happen.

Garlador

People are acting like the mere presence of them is somehow cheapening the experience pre-emptively.

There's like, 6 of them in ALIEN. Which is the greatest horror film ever made. So I mean... if you're gonna be snobby about the fact your horror movie shouts "boo" every now and again, I don't know what to say.

It's gonna happen.

I can't remember any great horror movie that didn't have at least a few jump scares. Jaws, Alien, Psycho, Exorcist... Use them to great effect and they'll linger long after the shock wears off.

It's gonna happen.
To be fair, I can't blame people for feeling that way towards jump scares. The norm is for them to be used cheaply. Them being used as pay-off built on a foundation of atmosphere and dread is a rare thing nowadays

But yeah, jump scares aren't inherently bad. How they're used is what makes them good or bad

I can't remember any great horror movie that didn't have at least a few jump scares. Jaws, Alien, Psycho, Exorcist... Use them to great effect and they'll linger long after the shock wears off.

But yeah, jump scares aren't inherently bad. How they're used is what makes them good or bad

Yup! It's all about the execution. I just hate seeing a pretty well deployed jump scare (or any element of a movie, really) getting written off out of hand simply because someone has been taught that its mere presence is automatically a demerit.

(That ol' CinemaSins bullshit rearing its head again, basically. "Hey kid, you noticed an obvious thing. That means its bad. Here's a pat on the head for not being fooled by it!")

GhaleonEB

It's gonna happen.

Jump scares are not a bad thing in and of themselves, it's just when a film relies on them for its scares because it can't come up with anything else. Specifically, Annabelle: Creation had basically a creepy doll and jump scares in the horror department. A well placed jump scare can be incredible but after 20 minutes I found myself anticipating literally every single one of them, and it just wasn't scary (or even startling).

I'm fine with IT having jump scares, given everything else it's clearly using. That 4 minute clip alone had one jump scare (creepy eyes suddenly). But that was far from the scariest thing about the scene; they used the jump scare as the pivot point between the happy kid playing in the rain and the monster on the prowl. And that latter part was the scary part. Watching Annabelle was like expecting an orchestra and instead you got one guy banging on a single drum the whole time.

Edit: and I'm 5 minutes late with this post. Hrumph.

I'm fine with IT having jump scares, given everything else it's clearly using. That 4 minute clip alone had one jump scare (creepy eyes suddenly). But that was far from the scariest thing about the scene. Watching Annabelle was like expecting an orchestra and instead you got one guy banging on a single drum the whole time.

Edit: and I'm 5 minutes late with this post. Hrumph.
I wouldn't even consider that moment much of a jump scare. It was startling but more for the character than the audience. Also was used in a service of the story rather than being a scare for the sake of having a scary scene

GhaleonEB

I wouldn't even consider that moment much of a jump scare. It was startling but more for the character than the audience. Also was used in a service of the story rather than being a scare for the sake of having a scary scene

I think it fits the definition, where something scary happened suddenly and there was a punchy stinger on the score to accent it to create a jolting/startling moment. That's kind of thing that Annabelle (sticking with that comp because it's recent) relied on almost exclusively for its "scares".

I agree with you in general though, that the one we saw in IT served a narrative purpose, which is already a step up from how they are used in most horror films. And everything that came after it was the genuinely scary part, which further distinguishes it.

Jump scares are fine so long as they're earned (Unless they're going for the Raimi/Wan "Spook-a-blast" approach which is less about building tension through story and more about just jumping from one fun set-piece to the next). "It" looks like it's earning the jump scares.

Miles X

Another, brief, opinion from somebody who saw a screening.

One of the best horror movies of the past 5 years. Much, much better than the TV version from 1990. I would have to say this is the best adaptation of a Steven King book, Bill Skarsgard is phenomenal as Pennywise, putting Tim Curry’s version to shame – 4.5/5

Another, brief, opinion from somebody who saw a screening.

One of the best horror movies of the past 5 years. Much, much better than the TV version from 1990. I would have to say this is the best adaptation of a Steven King book, Bill Skarsgard is phenomenal as Pennywise, putting Tim Curry's version to shame – 4.5/5

Honestly, it's been a long time since I've been this stoked for a horror movie, but from what I've heard of Pennywise so far (particularly the extended Georgie scene), I hope this means he sounds "better". As of right now, to me, he sounds like John Leguizamo voicing a Sesame Street Muppet.

SMa9vQp.jpg

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I'm not a fan of horror movies but I finally saw the trailer when I went to the movies and goodgoddamn that's an effective trailer.

F!ReW!Re

Damn that's a fantastic poster...

Loving the smile into eyes make-up thing Pennywise has going on.
Translates well in that poster.

oatmeal

Banned
Only thing I dislike about the posters/marketing material...the font for IT.

Nothing will ever be as classic as the book/tv show:

It_cover.jpg

GhaleonEB

Only thing I dislike about the posters/marketing material...the font for IT.

Nothing will ever be as classic as the book/tv show:

It_cover.jpg

They're using one similar to the version in the book
when Stanley kills himself and writes IT on the wall.

I used to have a copy of that edition of the book. Wish I didn't get rid of it when I moved out of high school. :(

I used to have a copy of that edition of the book. Wish I didn't get rid of it when I moved out of high school. :(

My birthday is in October, and my father always gave me the newest King book, so I have first-editions of almost everything up through Gerald's Game. Or, I should, if they haven't been donated away. They're also all inscribed "Happy Birthday" with a pithy, value-destroying message.

oatmeal

Banned
They're using one similar to the version in the book
when Stanley kills himself and writes IT on the wall.

Yeah, it's still less iconic, though. Somehow, I'll cope.

I have that book still. My dad had it when I grew up and it always stuck out. My wife found it for $5 at a book fair shortly after we got married, she bought it. My dog chewed on the dust jacket a bit, fucking up Stephen King's name, but the rest is in great shape.

Top Bottom