• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand New Announce Fifth Album out in October

Audioboxer

Fuck it. Downloaded it in a not so legal way but I couldn't wait no more. Can't wait for the vinyl though.

Bose headphones and a dark room. That's all I need for now.

Careful, you might fall asleep if you listen to it in a dark room.

Oooo.

We got a salty Brand New fan here. But, surely, there's dozens of us? :p

akileese

Just don't start with this album as it's shit
;D

To be serious for a minute, Deja Entendu is their most acclaimed and break through album. Some would say The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me, the follow up to Deja, is better, and they aren't necessarily wrong. Two beastly albums.

I don't like ranking Brand New albums vs each other. Each album has a completely different style and sound. I take the same approach to Enter Shikari's albums.

Audioboxer

I don't like ranking Brand New albums vs each other. Each album has a completely different style and sound. I take the same approach to Enter Shikari's albums.

True, but as a fan you're still going to have your favourite, or at least favourite tracks.

Funny side note, as a Brit the only time I've actually seen Enter Shikari live was in... America. At A Day To Remember in Florida. I've never been the biggest Enter Shikari fan/listener, it's just amusing how they're a British band but the only time I've seen them is in a foreign country lol.

Audioboxer

Album is incredible on first listen. Wow. Talk about delivering.

Just finished 137. Holy shit this album is fantastic.

Love me some Brand New. This is awesome news.

Had Batter Up on repeat for hours. The slow-burniest song on a slow burn album. Lovelovelovelove it.

This album surpassed all my expectations. Wow

Either I'm forever alone with my criticism, or all you schmucks are just going through the "Omg something new, so it's amazing" phase ;)

Or maybe everyone really did just want a slow and boring Brand New album! *will listen again tomorrow to triple check current feelings*

I hope it grows on me :(

Either I'm forever alone with my criticism, or all you schmucks are just going through the "Omg something new, so it's amazing" phase ;)

Or maybe everyone really did just want a slow and boring Brand New album! *will listen again tomorrow to triple check current feelings*

I'll have to listen to both again but I think I might prefer this to TDAG, but it's pretty silly to do a comparison when their style has changed so much throughout their entire discography.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

FOR THE RECORD, I haven't listened to it yet, just excited about a new album! Devil and God is so good.

Audioboxer

Wouldn't say this is boring at all but ¯_(ツ)_/¯ opinions and objectivity etc.

Don't take me too serious, I jest a lot. In all seriousness I can understand why anyone would like the album. It's not offensively bad or anything, good lyrics, good workmanship and some great mastering. It's just not quite what I wanted from a final Brand New album, and that's on me. It might grow on me, we'll see!

I'll have to listen to both again but I think I might prefer this to TDAG, but it's pretty silly to do a comparison when their style has changed so much throughout their entire discography.

Dagger to my heart!

FOR THE RECORD, I haven't listened to it yet, just excited about a new album! Devil and God is so good.

It's not the Devil and God so go in prepared for something a bit different and see what you think.

As others point out each Brand New album is a bit different from the last. However, this album is almost exclusively chill. Brand New have always had some fierce songs on each album. Not "heavy" by any metal or hard rock standards, but still the band letting rip a bit. That is missing here.

remz

Fuck it. Downloaded it in a not so legal way but I couldn't wait no more. Can't wait for the vinyl though.

Bose headphones and a dark room. That's all I need for now.

You bought bose headphones but you don't have 10 bucks for an album?

I don't like making snap judgements on new albums but I don't mind it atm.

I'm finding it to be a sober change from the chaos of "Daisy". I quite like their entire discography barring "Your Favorite Weapon", and this album feels like a perfect ending note to the crew.

akileese

True, but as a fan you're still going to have your favourite, or at least favourite tracks.

Funny side note, as a Brit the only time I've actually seen Enter Shikari live was in... America. At A Day To Remember in Florida. I've never been the biggest Enter Shikari fan/listener, it's just amusing how they're a British band but the only time I've seen them is in a foreign country lol.

Oh definitely. My favorite tracks are Jesus Christ, At the Bottom, and The Boy Who Blocked his own Shot. I've got a soft spot for the reworked 1996 as well.

That's actually pretty funny haha. I'm going to be over in the UK next year to get to an Arsenal match. Been about...6 years since the last time I've been so it's been too long. Hoping I can catch a Shikari show while I'm there.

Is that Kevin Devine doing backup vocals on "no control"? It sounds like him to me.

Hmm lemme have a listen. His voice is incredibly distinctive so that would make sense.

e: Yeah I think it might be. They're pretty harmonious to the main vocals so it's really hard but I think you're right. Maybe ask him on twitter? haha

Audioboxer

Hey you're probably right and I'll come to my senses in a few months about TDAG being their absolute best. Curious to hear your thoughts on 451 though? That seems to be the closest to the style of anything from that album.

I don't really like it. The vocals are fine but the actual guitar work reminds me of something else (and I don't mean older Brand New even if that would seem logical). Hard to explain, but I think if it wasn't for Jesse's vocals I'd think it was a song by another band.

Oh definitely. My favorite tracks are Jesus Christ, At the Bottom, and The Boy Who Blocked his own Shot. I've got a soft spot for the reworked 1996 as well.

That's actually pretty funny haha. I'm going to be over in the UK next year to get to an Arsenal match. Been about...6 years since the last time I've been so it's been too long. Hoping I can catch a Shikari show while I'm there.

Hmm lemme have a listen. His voice is incredibly distinctive so that would make sense.

e: Yeah I think it might be. They're pretty harmonious to the main vocals so it's really hard but I think you're right. Maybe ask him on twitter? haha

Still salty younger me never bought the Jesus 7" vinyl. It's the only one I'm missing. Such a good song.

Football and Enter Shikari are at least two damn British things for you to enjoy whilst here :D

Mistle

I felt an intense energy throughout the whole thing. Slow and boring aren't even words on my radar. And no this isn't just a "cult of the new" impression...

This album is beautiful, I honestly didn't think they could put out another great album after I thought Daisy was mediocre and I didn't like I Am A Nightmare at all.

remz

Considering how Daisy opens with Vices punching you in the face halfway through a hymn any follow up was gonna seem slow or boring by comparison tbh.

judge it for what it is not what it isn't.

chris121580

Man, this makes for a great ending to my Thursday. This is absolutely fantastic and everything I hoped it would be. Worth the wait!

Audioboxer

I felt an intense energy throughout the whole thing. Slow and boring aren't even words on my radar. And no this isn't just a "cult of the new" impression...

I'll believe you.... for now ;D

Considering how Daisy opens with Vices punching you in the face halfway through a hymn any follow up was gonna seem slow or boring by comparison tbh.

judge it for what it is not what it isn't.

That's what I'm trying to do. Jesus is a chill song, but it stands out to me as superior to what is on offer here.

kris.

Banned
The sequence of Could Never Be Heaven/Same Logic/137/Out of Mana/In the Water is just fucking unfair. Jesse what the hell, man.

akileese

I don't really like it. The vocals are fine but the actual guitar work reminds me of something else (and I don't mean older Brand New even if that would seem logical). Hard to explain, but I think if it wasn't for Jesse's vocals I'd think it was a song by another band.

Still salty younger me never bought the Jesus Christ 7" vinyl. It's the only one I'm missing. Such a good song.

Football and Enter Shikari are at least two damn British things for you to enjoy whilst here :D

I'm one of those weird Americans who loves non American things. Rugby League, Cricket, F1, Football, etc.

I don't have the older 7" vinyl sadly. I wasn't collecting vinyl back then. Biggest regret. I actually didn't start until right around when Daisy came out.

hughesta

Banned
I don't think anything on here as good as Jesus Christ or Limousine but overall this is probably their most consistently good album. I'm honestly blown away. I was not expecting them to come even close to TDAG, let alone possibly surpass it.

I used to love Brand New. In college I listened to Deja Entendu and The devil and god on repeat. I haven't listened to them in almost a decade. Just kinda changed tastes and moved on. Going to go back and check them out again and work my way up to the new album. Such strong great memories of simpler times associated with their stuff.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just bought the Vinyl

HOLY SHIT, the download is available NOW

I just assumed people were listening to leaks

Fuuuuuuck. Im too excited to listen :X

Audioboxer

I'm one of those weird Americans who loves non American things. Rugby League, Cricket, F1, Football, etc.

I don't have the older 7" vinyl sadly. I wasn't collecting vinyl back then. Biggest regret. I actually didn't start until right around when Daisy came out.

More like a proper American. Soccer is the real football ;)

As I said earlier in this topic really young me bought Jude Law when it came out on 7" vinyl. I had no vinyl player back then but I used to buy 7" singles along with another two friends from a record store as they were cheap and fun to collect. Like £0.99 to £2.99 a vinyl usually. Jude Law was £1.99 IIRC. Jesus is a better song but I wouldn't trade Jude Law just cause it has nostalgia attached to it and is still valuable. Jesus prices are nuts too though. No way I'm buying it now. Look it up on discogs.com and NOPE at the price.

I've got all The Quiet things variants too. I didn't actually get the Deja vinyl until the reprint. As I said young me was all about 7" singles and it wasn't until I got my first record player I really started buying albums. Daisy was easy to buy when it came out. I don't know if it's continual print, but there was plenty of copies. Probably just Brand New fans with shitty taste not liking Daisy ;D Deja is on continual print now and I think Devil and God too. I did manage to snag one of those red Devil and God vinyls, out of the 666 print. Had to pay £40 for it at release and it sold out quickly. It's better for the fans when the band does a continued print though. While I enjoy having some rare stuff it's shitty for fans if there isn't at least a basic LP continually getting printed if demand is high.

This is awesome. Cannot unsee. Reminds me of how hard it was to find Brand New stuff online because it always pulls up loads of "new" things.

This is why the latest album is trolling

"Brand New Science Fiction"

Enjoy your list of books and movies.

This is awesome. Cannot unsee. Reminds me of how hard it was to find Brand New stuff online because it always pulls up loads of "new" things.

Tell me about it. Have an ebay tab open waiting for the limited Science Fiction vinyls to start going up and all I'm seeing are lots of science fiction books. Can't have a hole in their vinyl collection.

More like a proper American. Soccer is the real football ;)

As I said earlier in this topic really young me bought Jude Law when it came out on 7" vinyl. I had no vinyl player back then but I used to buy 7" singles along with another two friends from a record store as they were cheap and fun to collect. Like £0.99 to £2.99 a vinyl usually. Jude Law was £1.99 IIRC. Jesus is a better song but I wouldn't trade Jude Law just cause it has nostalgia attached to it and is still valuable. Jesus prices are nuts too though. No way I'm buying it now. Look it up on discogs.com and NOPE at the price.

I've got all The Quiet things variants too. I didn't actually get the Deja vinyl until the reprint. As I said young me was all about 7" singles and it wasn't until I got my first record player I really started buying albums. Daisy was easy to buy when it came out. I don't know if it's continual print, but there was plenty of copies. Probably just Brand New fans with shitty taste not liking Daisy ;D Deja is on continual print now and I think Devil and God too. I did manage to snag one of those red Devil and God vinyls, out of the 666 print. Had to pay £40 for it at release and it sold out quickly. It's better for the fans when the band does a continued print though. While I enjoy having some rare stuff it's shitty for fans if there isn't at least a basic LP continually getting printed if demand is high.

The prices on that Jesus 7" fluctuate pretty regularly. A few months ago you could get one for around $60, but right now the prices are insanely high. Though I guess not far off from what I paid for Jude Law not too long ago...

Arc

Such an amazing night drive album. Slow burn, westerny, classic rock solos, trancy and full of rhythm in the choruses.

Mistle

Devil & God is a masterpiece, although for me it isn't some sacred untouchable text. I can see Science Fiction taking a place alongside it once all is settled and the album has digested. Not that I particularly like making comparisons in the first place, but when listening to the new album, no part of me thinks "hmm... this isn't as good as their previous stuff". I enjoyed every song on first listen which is nuts.

Drain You

So excited to listen to this. I saw them last tour and they were absolutely fantastic, put on a much better show than I was expecting. Sounded great, great production values or whatever you wanna call it with light and such.

I am however salty at their ticket prices for their next show. I was hoping to see them when they come to Brooklyn but the prices seem crazy to me.

Audioboxer

Tell me about it. Have an ebay tab open waiting for the limited Science Fiction vinyls to start going up and all I'm seeing are lots of science fiction books. Can't have a hole in their vinyl collection.

The prices on that Jesus 7" fluctuate pretty regularly. A few months ago you could get one for around $60, but right now the prices are insanely high. Though I guess not far off from what I paid for Jude Law not too long ago...

I always have a peek every now and then. Before the YFW reprint the original record label of the first print (iodine records) put a listing up on eBay to say they had found some copies. I emailed asking if they could check variants (and value mark down for taxes) and got the response

i always mark the records down when i ship them : )
i have sealed white or open clear, it's up to you...
x

- iodinerecords

Like they needed to ask. Jumped on the sealed white for $80. Expensive, but at the time it was limited to 100 and before the reprint. Needed it to go with my Jude Law. Therefore, if I can blow 80 bucks on it I should be okay with 60 on Jesus lol.

IIRC Jude Law 7" is a 500 print (correction it's a 200 print). Jesus, I'm not sure but it's probably around 500 too. The white original YFW was 100, so I think by the numbers it's the rarest Brand New vinyl variant you can own. YFW has been reprinted heavily overall. Maybe some other variants are low too, but I don't think anything else by Brand New on vinyl is as low as 100. If any test variants of anything exist in public they'll obviously be the rarest.

Such an amazing night drive album. Slow burn, westerny, classic rock solos, trancy and full of rhythm in the choruses.

Yeah, I mentioned classic rock earlier and western is another vibe that's true. Both turning me off.

Skatterd

I've been listening to this for the last few hours

Devil and God will never be touched for me for all the reasons it will for most people, context, relating it to as specific time in their life etc.

But fuck this is a great album. If this is what they're going out then it's the perfect album to do so. I don't think it's boring at all, but it's definitely a slow burner.

It's hard for me to rate any of their albums because they're all so different and I love in their own ways
Except for Daisy. Not that original of an opinion I know, but it never did anything for me.
....but this is definitely up there in their catalog in my opinion. (I realize it's the new and hot thing I know but this is making me a feel a way most things don't.)

DeathPeak

So, is this going to hit record stores anytime soon or in October like the very limited vinyl? The standard vinyl comes with an instant download?

Can't get it out ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

So, is this going to hit record stores anytime soon or in October like the very limited vinyl? The standard vinyl comes with an instant download?

You can only preorder the vinyl now, it won't be in stores until October. Preordering now gets you the digital download immediately.

So glad to see so many here really enjoying this new album. Even more glad most people here are right and true in believing "Devil and God" is their best work. Because it is. Their best. Work.

kris.

Banned
I was just thinking to myself yesterday how I hadn't intensely attached myself to an album in a while and now this drops. Spent the last 4-5 hours going through it over and over again and I can't find one single flaw. Worth the wait and then some.

Top Bottom