• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Schumer insisted Netflix pay her the same as Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle

TyrantII

Whether or not she is humorous is entirely subjective and not at all the point of the article or relevant to the discussion honestly. I think Adam Sandler is about as funny as a nail through the dick but if the numbers he pulls in for NEtflix are true, he's worth every bit of the tens of millions of dollars they pay him. That's how it works. You can be funny as fuck but if don't draw an audience you ain't worth shit.

Stop stealing his material!

Big Blue

Can't knock the hustle, but I really hope this isn't propped up as an equal pay anecdote because she's not on their level.

Ah yes. If people don't like a female comedian then the only possible reason is because they're sexist.

They're sure acting like it was their $20 mil doing to Schumer and not Netflix's money tho and won't be satisfied until everybody knows how much they think she sucks and is undeserving of her success. And it happens in every single thread about her, too. That's a lot of smoke for it to not be fire.

Breads

Banned
Comparing herself to some of the greatest comedians of all time is a baller move. I don't agree that she is on the same level but I can't knock her for asking.

Keri

Her show lasted longer, She stared in a far more successful movie, wrote a number 1 best seller, been nominated for Emmys and an Oscar (Chappelle has had neither).

Glad she got the pay day she deserved

I think Schumer is definitely more mainstream popular than Chappelle or Rock. Have either Rock or Chappelle done anything else, lately?

This thread should go well.

Already is...
Good for her for negotiating it out, but nothing about this makes me want to watch her content any more. If anything, this is making me want another Dave Chappelle special... And reminding me that I should probably watch one of Chris Rock's more recent ones at some point...

cordy

Banned
Just a random question, how many of you all actually watch comedy specials? Is it me or has there been a standup boom these past few years? I remember when I couldn't find a good special online but now I'm always seeing them. As someone who loves standup I love it.

The more the better tbh.

Personally I wouldn't pay as much to see her. Well frankly I wouldn't pay to see her she is shit.

She isn't worth as much as Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle both absolute giants in comedy because she isn't as funny, doesn't have the audience, doesn't have the pulling power or the status. In the same way plenty of male comedians don't.

It's not sexist. It's the same reason you pay 5 times the price per plate at a michelin star restaurant. The quality is better.

Is she as popular as 2 of the greatest comedians of all time?

Yes that is the question. Netflix, who probably makes it their business to know these kind of things, decided she was probably not quite as popular as them, but still more popular than they had originally determined, as they increased her pay. Her negotiating worked, yet apparently that's a reason for people to shit on her.

Somebody needs to hide Netflix's checkbook. They're paying over $20 million for standup comedy specials? Are those really that valuable? Even with big names, I find it really hard to believe that enough people watch standup comedy to make the economics of that gel. I say that as someone who watched a lot of standup comedy lol

20 million to own it in perpetuity?

Dalek

Just a random question, how many of you all actually watch comedy specials? Is it me or has there been a standup boom these past few years? I remember when I couldn't find a good special online but now I'm always seeing them. As someone who loves standup I love it.

The more the better tbh.

There has been a real boom for them on Netflix-it's obviously very successful for them. Nearly every comedian I hear interviewed on Howard Stern talks about getting a Netflix special like it's the fucking dream.

Big Blue

They're sure acting like it was their $20 mil doing to Schumer and not Netflix's money tho and won't be satisfied until everybody knows how much they think she sucks and is undeserving of her success. And it happens in every single thread about her, too. That's a lot of smoke for it to not be fire.

Nah, I think Tiffany Haddish is 10X funnier than her. Thankfully she's getting her time to shine. You can choose to dislike someone and not have her being a woman play a role in it.

FTF

Man, the sexism in this thread.

She wanted to get paid as much as men do. She negotiation and did it. Good for her.

I don't think it's sexism for the most part (though yes for some it may incorrectly be about sexism).

If it was say Dane Cook wanting as much money as Ellen (or any example of what one may consider a worse male comedian wanting as much as a better female comedian), I think the discussion would be the same.

But if it can be proven that Amy draws the same #s and is as popular as Rock or Chappelle or Seinfeld, etc. then yes, def pay her the same as them. I just don't think that's supported in this case.

Personally I wouldn't pay as much to see her. Well frankly I wouldn't pay to see her she is shit.

She isn't worth as much as Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle both absolute giants in comedy because she isn't as funny, doesn't have the audience, doesn't have the pulling power or the status. In the same way plenty of male comedians don't.

It's not sexist. It's the same reason you pay 5 times the price per plate at a michelin star restaurant. The quality is better.
Well, seeing as she negotiated a better deal Netflix probably doesn't see it that way.

Synless

I agree she has the right to ask and more than likely deserves more than she is currently being paid. However she isn't on the same level of those two and doesn't deserve the same as such.

smurfx

get some go again
jeez talk about a waste of money. don't think i would have payed chris rock that kind of money at this point in his career either. was chappelle paid 20 mil for each for his specials or 20 for both of the specials he did?

Kirye

I understand and agree with equal pay but she doesn't deserve the same payday as Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle. They're legends, she's famous but more of a newcomer than they are. Plus her stand up is LEAGUES below them.

border

Fucking hilarious that they coughed up that much money and the special turned out to be terrible, panned by audiences, and then quickly forgotten. She's certainly not the first comedian to turn out a half-assed Netflix special for an easy payday, but she probably made 10 times as much money as all the others.

It's also crazy that Netflix spent that kind of money on a special and then barely promoted it. And then killed their entire user rating program when viewers decided to shit all over it.

And you determined this based on.....? Maybe you should sell your cutting edge analytical data to Netflix since apparently they have no way of actually measuring the things you are describing.

blakep267

I think Schumer is definitely more mainstream popular than Chappelle or Rock. Have either Rock or Chappelle done anything else, lately?
Dave chappelle is a cultural icon. His show hasn't been on air for 13 years and people still recite bits from it. He sells out radio city music hall every year for a month. And he sold 2 specials for $20 million each to Netflix. Let's be real here she's nowhere near as mainstream as chappelle

And Chris rock is Chris rock

NimbusD

Didn't her special wind up bombing?

Also stand up must be huge on Netflix for any of them to get tens of millions off a special.

MIMIC

Banned
It’s not clear if she got an exactly equal paycheck, but the company did move to bring her pay and the male comics’ in line with each other.

Well good for her. I don't think I've ever seen a special of hers yet, but I think she's OK (from what little I've seen of her). I think the last time I saw her in something was from one of those Comedy Central roasts.

I mean she's not as good as them by any stretch, but may as well try. She's good enough to command money and make demands, and hey, there is money going around.

I don't see this as a thread where we debate merit. We all want more, and try to negotiate that.

cordy

Banned
There has been a real boom for them on Netflix-it's obviously very successful for them. Nearly every comedian I hear interviewed on Howard Stern talks about getting a Netflix special like it's the fucking dream.

Yeah it's an event it seems. A new comedy special to me is similar to going out and seeing a concert on a Friday. It's great how things have increased and especially on Netflix. Smart idea for everyone to get a special if they can.

Make that money.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Interesting to see the blatant sexism come out regarding her, as usual.

ProTip: Whether or not someone on NeoGAF personally likes her is completely irrelevant to this. She is likely the biggest female comedian in the world right now and deserves equal pay to big male names.

Eh, that's not too surprising to me. She's known to a lot of people as a joke stealer, so that's bound to make people want to shit on her.

PixelatedBookake

Gotta respect the fact she asked for as much as them. Rock and Chappelle are better comedians in my eyes but that doesn't matter. Schumer has her audience and is within her right to ask to for more money.

Jumeira

Banned
I dont care for her, but if she is as popular (i dont think she is) then she has every right. If she's not, she shouldnt get paid just because shes a women.

Pay all based on their ticket sales and talent. Gender shouldnt have any influence on that.

G-Bus

Banned
Gender aside I don't think Schumer is on the same level of popularity as Chapelle or Rock. I also think they have been doing it a hell of a lot longer than her too at the top end as comedians go.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
It's bizarre that there are people who actually think entertainment salaries are determined purely by talent.

Top Bottom