• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Berserk |OT| - Big men, bigger swords, OFF THE BOAT - Berserk #344 24/6/2016

Gulz1992

Sorry, that news announcement might actually be a mistake. Apparently the newspaper page the person posted doesn't mention anything about it. It's only mentioned in the tweet and it's not clear if it's Berserk related (she could instead have been referring to her own affairs.

Gonna be honest; I had a hard time taking the chapter seriously, especially when the giant Mozgus head appeared and chomped on all the penis monsters.

Krammy

Reading Berserk is truly suffering. I remember back when the last hiatus was announced on a page trailing off into the Eclipse, thinking that we'd be in for a treat once the manga started up again. Cut ahead to another announced hiatus and they've only just reached that Eclipse. Kill me.

I bet the following chapters will be all exposition and then they'll announce another hiatus before we find out if Casca's getting cured.

Grudy

That was a weird chapter to say the least. At first I thought those monsters looked like Ubik but no, t'was a penis.

We're back to where we started before the last hiatus in a way. The chapters with Casca's memories were beautiful at least.

Boat arc animated lol
How the fuck would they even explain how they got on the boat if they cut out Farnese's plotline and Rodrick's introduction? It's Dick Dick van Dick...this chapter should be sponsored by motherfucking Brazzers. Eat a dick Mozgus...literally? Fucking Miura...next winter....ugh, fucking cock teasing.

Grudy

How the fuck would they even explain how they got on the boat if they cut out Farnese's plotline and Rodrick's introduction? It's Dick Dick van Dick...this chapter should be sponsored by motherfucking Brazzers. Eat a dick Mozgus...literally? Fucking Miura...next winter....ugh, fucking cock teasing.

hahaha you think they care. T_T

Nibel

tTc9cKQ.gif
tTc9cKQ.gif
tTc9cKQ.gif

tTc9cKQ.gif
tTc9cKQ.gif
tTc9cKQ.gif

tTc9cKQ.gif
tTc9cKQ.gif
tTc9cKQ.gif

Veelk

Banned
Another reason this chapter isn't that great is because it doesn't really tell us anything new. I mean, granted, this is something of a literal trip down memory lane for Caska, but Farnese and Schrieke are all learning things about Caska as they're heading down her mind. That stuff was important. This is just them getting attacked by demons, which informs them that "something" bad happened to her...which they already know.

If Miura was going to made giant penis' attack them, it doesn't feel like it's something he should have spent more than a few pages doing, not a while chapter.

The only truly new thing we see them do is Farnese learns she can manifest her own familiar (in the form of Mozgus). And god dammit, I do not need reminding that the worst villain in Berserk exists.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I guess I'm desensitized to Berserk a bit as seeing dick monsters is just like,"oh those are well drawn cock monsters".

I guess Miura just wanted to remind the world that he still knows how to draw a dick monster.
Another reason this chapter isn't that great is because it doesn't really tell us anything new. I mean, granted, this is something of a literal trip down memory lane for Caska, but Farnese and Schrieke are all learning things about Caska as they're heading down her mind. That stuff was important. This is just them getting attacked by demons, which informs them that "something" bad happened to her...which they already know.

If Miura was going to made giant penis' attack them, it doesn't feel like it's something he should have spent more than a few pages doing, not a while chapter.

The only truly new thing we see them do is Farnese learns she can manifest her own familiar (in the form of Mozgus). And god dammit, I do not need reminding that the worst villain in Berserk exists.
She can probably also manifest Magnifico, but it would be useless.

I for one loved the chapter. Loved the dick monsters. Gets me that "irk" feeling of early berserk days, between the first 100 chapters where Berserk was all about horror and weird monsters.
And Casca having dick monsters in her mind protecting the memory of the Eclipse makes complete sense IMO seeing she was raped during the Eclipse.
While I'm frustrated that Berserk is going on a break again, at least it's not a "Till next time". At least we know during winter we will be getting 3 or 4 chapters again.

Grudy

I guess I'm desensitized to Berserk a bit as seeing dick monsters is just like,"oh those are well drawn cock monsters".
They really are! The details and shadows on those tips are quite impressive. Although I hope all those images are not stuck in my mind for long.
I for one loved the chapter. Loved the dick monsters. Gets me that "irk" feeling of early berserk days, between the first 100 chapters where Berserk was all about horror and weird monsters.
And Casca having dick monsters in her mind protecting the memory of the Eclipse makes complete sense IMO seeing she was raped during the Eclipse.
While I'm frustrated that Berserk is going on a break again, at least it's not a "Till next time". At least we know during winter we will be getting 3 or 4 chapters again.

I agree. The atmosphere here does harken back to the earlier chapters from pre Millennium arc. I've learnt to forget about wanting answers after a long hiatus and instead try to see chapters as a continuation of the entire arc, as if reading through it in one go. It's hard but chapters like this would probably serve the pacing better in the overall narrative. I imagine Miura plans out his chapters in advance through what he envisions the overall story should include and sticking to it with his long breaks must be vital so he doesn't lose track of his original plan.

Mr Git

Another break. Just as I was thinking how good it was to get Berserk and HxH in the same week. More brilliant art in this chapter as per usual, I'm quite liking that he managed to have montage bits during these dream chapters - I figured otherwise it could be literally years until it ends. Those penitaurs at the end tho

I thought the chapter was really damn good considering it is supposed to represent Caska's mind and her mind is totally fucked. The whole thing is unnerving considering how her mind got that way.

Gulz1992

Is it canon or just a spin off by the anime writer?

I'd guess it's supposed to be canon since it's touted as Grunbeld's backstory, but until it appears or is referenced in the manga than I would say you can put it into the same line of canon as the Dreamcast game. As in, there's technically nothing contradicting it but there's also nothing in the manga that says it's canon either.

Slightly off topic, I have to say that Miura's drawings in this are really damn good. I think the character designs actually look better than in the recent chapters of the manga.

It's unreal how devastatingly cute Miura can draw sometimes.

Given... you know.

The troubles that is Berserk.

I know "lol IdolMaster" jokes are overplayed, but let's just say I chuckle when I see Berserk brought up as some sort of bastion against "anti-Moe" anime.

Because uh...Miura definitely isn't against it.

RangerBAD

I'd guess it's supposed to be canon since it's touted as Grunbeld's backstory, but until it appears or is referenced in the manga than I would say you can put it into the same line of canon as the Dreamcast game. As in, there's technically nothing contradicting it but there's also nothing in the manga that says it's canon either.

Slightly off topic, I have to say that Miura's drawings in this are really damn good. I think the character designs actually look better than in the recent chapters of the manga.

They should after all those breaks. lol

Arkeband

Banned
Yeah, the last chapter seemed obligatory and didn't really move anything forward. Thankfully it left off at a place where he can't procrastinate any more after the hiatus ends.

Veelk

Banned
I'm sure he spends atleast half of it working. There is no way he can do this level of details for 20 pages each month.

Top Bottom