• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Video Game Nerd Ep 145: Sonic The Hedgehog (2006)

Camjo-Z

I feel like he could have done a little more homework on this one, so many more things to rage about but he clearly only played the first few hours of the game. That ending was pretty good though.

Is it just me or does Rolfe seem like he's worn out in this episode? I mean, he's be doing this for like a decade now, so I would expect it. Maybe it's been like this for a while now; it just seems really noticeable this time around.

border

I don't know why, but it's so funny to me that the Nerd has the super-old 360 with external hard drive and no WiFi.

I feel like he could have done a little more homework on this one, so many more things to rage about but he clearly only played the first few hours of the game. That ending was pretty good though.

Yeah. I'm a bit disappointed he didn't play the last stage.

All the fuckery that occurs in the game (like the fight with "IT'S NO USE" Silver) pales in comparison to the last stage.

It's still the worst goddamn thing I've ever seen, and I've played a crapton of bad games.

213372bu

Banned
Yeah, it's a shame he only played so little.

As the game goes on it just continues breaking and everything becomes so absurd that it's not even "so bad it's good", it's infuriating and terrible.

border

"It's something that should be fun, but just quite isn't.....like jumping on a trampoline with a bucket full of dog turds on it."

Never played Sonic 06 -- was the framerate really this bad? Even on 360?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Is it just me or does Rolfe seem like he's worn out in this episode? I mean, he's be doing this for like a decade now, so I would expect it. Maybe it's been like this for a while now; it just seems really noticeable this time around.
Yep. I enjoyed this episode but it's clear James isn't as enthusiastic as he used to be. I don't blame him. Sometimes you lose your passion as you've moved onto other things.

RPGam3r

Surely we are done with this trope by now. These forced characters are just so grating.

Then don't watch?

Back on topic, I thought he did a good job. Better watch out with some of that production value it may end up looking too good in some parts AVGN.

The small silly things he points out are funny, like the mannerisms of the human NPCs, but yea the whole "angry nerd" trope is pretty tired imo. I think he can aspire to more, although he probably makes more money doing what he does now.

Yep. I enjoyed this episode but it's clear James isn't as enthusiastic as he used to be. I don't blame him. Sometimes you lose your passion as you've moved onto other things.

This is a sponsored video, so that may be why he doesn't seem as passionate or as enthusiastic as usual. The videos where he is are the ones where he grew up with the game and they frustrated the hell out of him when he was a kid.

Still, since we're on the subject of Sonic 06, has their ever been a development article done on it? It's one of those games where it's hard to understand why it was ever released as the only thing it really seems to get right i the music. Everything else is horrible. I just can't understand how a major development team could ever want their name attached to a game like that. It's basically AAA shovelware.

border

Same one I have. Exchangeable faceplates FTW.

I can still remember that brief period where people actually considered the faceplates to be collectibles. Microsoft gave away a bunch of limited edition faceplates at one of their E3 conferences, and people were actually paying good money for them on eBay.

Smeags

Good episode! And I've always wanted there to be an official AVGN thread. He puts up a lot of good episodes! The Power rangers one is absolutely hilarious.

Agreed. Power Rangers was really was one of his best!

Not sure if such a game works with the AVGN style, as there's just too much to go over in one video. Also the green screen gags are used a bit too liberally.

Still though, a fun episode overall. Especially with that ending! And I legitimately got chills when he pointed out the princess looking directly at you. Ugh.

Timu

"It's something that should be fun, but just quite isn't.....like jumping on a trampoline with a bucket full of dog turds on it."

Never played Sonic 06 -- was the framerate really this bad? Even on 360?
Yeah, though the framerate is far worse on the PS3.

Pit

Referring to AVGN? I can't believe it's still a thing either to be honest. Reviewing a 360 game feels weird.

Yeah this, but I guess the persona or character that is an angry review more broadly. Sometimes points are made a lot more coherently when your not yelling and in a furious rage.

hey man being an angry weirdo about entertainment products never goes out of style

just ask joe or jim or rlm

Ikr, but it seems as time goes on we keep getting more and more.

Then don't watch?

Back on topic, I thought he did a good job. Better watch out with some of that production value it may end up looking too good in some parts AVGN.

Why not? I can still consume the media and look at it if I don't enjoy it. I guess I hadn't seen an AVGN vid, and it is a bit much with Joe and Jim that is a fact whether you like this kind of media or not. I don't think of you any less for watching, just find it harder to swallow with more of it in the media these days.

I know. Fuck Sonic and all his shitty little pals.

But we are getting a new sonic character this time maybe it will be the best one yet :p

border

The small silly things he points out are funny, like the mannerisms of the human NPCs, but yea the whole "angry nerd" trope is pretty tired imo. I think he can aspire to more, although he probably makes more money doing what he does now.

After The Nostalgia Critic dropped his character and then tanked, I doubt James will ever really drop the Angry Nerd Character. He generates a ton of videos where he's not in character, so I don't really see the harm in doing AVGN videos every few months. It's not like this is all he has to offer.

As long as the jokes are good I'm fine with him keeping the persona, regardless of whether or not people feel it's outdated. My major gripe is really when the episodes devolve too much into scatalogical sketch comedy, and he's thankfully veered away from that in recent years.

Yeah, the video is classic Nerd stuff, but it really, really shows that he didn't get far into the game, it gets so much worse later on...

Lothar

Banned
Surely we are done with this trope by now. These forced characters are just so grating.

Are you complaining that the angry nerd is angry in an episode of the angry video game nerd? Or are you talking about Sonic? Not sure what would make less sense.

Zolbrod

I dunno, I think it's just an age thing.
I'm about as old as he is, and I'm definitely less energetic than I was 10 years ago, haha.

border

I meant why is he doing Sonic 06 now, and not 5 years ago? He's just beating a dead horse at this point.

5 years ago Sonic 06 wouldn't have been a retro-game. It would have been a current generation title. At the time, AVGN wasn't even doing games from the 3D era.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Seems like maybe he never played the Sonic Adventures, considering his surprise at some of the elements carried over from them.

How does this guy get respect but Angry Joe doesn't?

Not to give the wrong impression, I don't care for the angry gamer shtick regardless of whom it's coming from but Joe seems often much more insightful when critiquing a game and gives games a pretty in depth analysis.

Neither are funny, but of the angry video game people on YouTube it doesn't make sense why people shit on his content and lash out when people post it and yet AVGN is so revered? Is it because he was one of the originals? Nostalgia?

tuna_love

Banned

Not to give the wrong impression, I don't care for the angry gamer shtick regardless of whom it's coming from but Joe seems often much more insightful when critiquing a game and gives games a pretty in depth analysis.

Neither are funny, but of the angry video game people on YouTube it doesn't make sense why people shit on his content and lash out when people post it and yet AVGN is so revered? Is it because he was one of the originals? Nostalgia?

does angry joe not get any respect?

Lothar

Banned

AVGN is incredibly funny. If you say Angry Joe isn't funny, then I guess that's why he isn't given respect.

Top Bottom