• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2017 |OT2| Well, maybe McMaster isn't a traitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true, and it's still too early to tell, but I wonder if "deal maker Trump", who we know is ideologically fluid, will still feel like his best strategy was using the budget reconciliation process to enact his biggest legislative priorities.

Without budget reconciliation, any attempt is completely dead via the filibuster. This is literally their only chance until next year (midterm year btw) to repeal Obamacare.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Other news.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/hamzashaba...strip-internet?utm_term=.ykmpyBdBk#.xs4Jm0a0Q
Senate Republicans Vote To Gut Internet Privacy

The Senate voted Thursday to make it easier for internet service providers to share sensitive information about their customers, a first step in overturning landmark privacy rules that consumer advocates and Democratic lawmakers view as crucial protections in the digital age. The vote was passed along party lines, 50-48, with all but two Republicans voting in favor of the repeal and every Democrat voting against it. Two Republican Senators did not vote.

Passed by the Federal Communications Commission in the final months of the Obama presidency, the privacy rules prohibited internet providers like Comcast and Verizon from selling customer information, including browsing history and location data, without first getting consent. The rules also compelled providers to tell customers about the data they collect, the purpose of that data collection, and to identify the types of third party companies that might be given access to that information.

Can't they just delay indefinitely until.. that hard deadline? Isn't it April 15?

Every delay makes this much harder for them as getting it through the Senate will be even more difficult than the House. And the House will need to revote on whatever changes are made in reconciliation.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Spicer: we are disappointed with schumer statement because it breaks tradation with supreme court nominees process

Oh please..

LAtoDC

Neo Member
Without budget reconciliation, any attempt is completely dead via the filibuster. This is literally their only chance until next year (midterm year btw) to repeal Obamacare.

Right, but I wonder if because these efforts blow up in his face, if Trump would consider working with Dems to repair ACA over repeal/replace later into his term.

Unlikely, but crazier things have happened with this guy. At the end of the day he will just be seen as an inconsequential President.

Foffy

Banned
Help me GAF.

I've learned who Dennis Prager is, and how he's created a "university" to use diversity of "teachers" to project much of his dinosaur-like thinking.

Right, but I wonder if because these efforts blow up in his face, if Trump would consider working with Dems to repair ACA over repeal/replace later into his term.

Unlikely, but crazier things have happened with this guy. At the end of the day he will just be seen as an inconsequential President.

Not a chance. The only reason they're even repealing this in the first place is to spite Obama/Dems. It's why the bill is junk. It's not based on actually improving anything, it's just there to try and erase Obama from history.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Help me GAF.

I've learned who Dennis Prager is, and how he's created a "university" to use diversity of "teachers" to project much of his dinosaur-like thinking.

Really though, in 30 years all University programs will be taught via Youtube.

Chumley

Banned
"I'm President and you're not"

THIS IS FUCKING INSANE.

This is almost beyond Nixon level of clueless stupidity. This dude fundamentally does not believe he is wrong about anything. He really is going to fucking die in jail.

Foffy

Banned
Really though, in 30 years all University programs will be taught via Youtube.

He's ahead of the times then! And offering them for free, too! ;)

Don't watch videos from PragerU, even if they have people you like. Prager has a motive for the people he picks. It's actually gross shit.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
"I'm President and you're not"

THIS IS FUCKING INSANE.

This is almost beyond Nixon level of clueless stupidity. This dude fundamentally does not believe he is wrong about anything. He really is going to fucking die in jail.

I'm sure Pence or Ryan will pardon him after he gets impeached and thrown in jail.

LAtoDC

Neo Member
I love hearing Sean Spicer squirm trying to justify the removal of mandated health benefits from insurance plans.

Also, it is just a matter of time before we see Ryan and Trump, who already have an uneasy alliance, turn on one another as to why this bill didn't receive the votes.

Meanwhile, John Boehner is sipping on wine and puffing on a cigar in a recliner chair somewhere in Ohio..

Blader

The Senate also has to take up voting on Gorsuch, which McConnell has pledged to do before the April recess. So the longer the House sits on this bill, the less time the Senate has to act on it.

Other news.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/hamzashaba...strip-internet?utm_term=.ykmpyBdBk#.xs4Jm0a0Q
Senate Republicans Vote To Gut Internet Privacy

The Senate voted Thursday to make it easier for internet service providers to share sensitive information about their customers, a first step in overturning landmark privacy rules that consumer advocates and Democratic lawmakers view as crucial protections in the digital age. The vote was passed along party lines, 50-48, with all but two Republicans voting in favor of the repeal and every Democrat voting against it. Two Republican Senators did not vote.

Passed by the Federal Communications Commission in the final months of the Obama presidency, the privacy rules prohibited internet providers like Comcast and Verizon from selling customer information, including browsing history and location data, without first getting consent. The rules also compelled providers to tell customers about the data they collect, the purpose of that data collection, and to identify the types of third party companies that might be given access to that information.

So its less regulation...but anti-privacy...How...will...the...conservatives...cope?

but seriously this is the shit that should be getting headlines. all the little (relatively) evils by the GOP.

The Senate also has to take up voting on Gorsuch, which McConnell has pledged to do before the April recess. So the longer the House sits on this bill, the less time the Senate has to act on it.

And of course, tax cuts. AHCA getting dragged out ruins their entire agenda.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like it.

Spicer says it doesn't make sense that Nunes would come to brief Trump on information he received from the White House.
Like they didnt understand it or it didnt happen :p

Because they clearly wanted him on camera while he was there. Whoopsie daisy.

The idea that the only time any meaningful laws can get passed in this country is during the brief two year window after a massive Democrat wave is pretty awful to think about.

Our government can't work like that. Something needs to happen. This isn't healthy.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Reporter: what about the possible russia collusion?

Spicer: the real story is the possibility of cnn colluding with clinton with debate questions

teiresias

The way that earlier meeting went in my head is Trump getting all red in the face and screaming "I'll primary all of you!!" . . . and then the entire HFC bursting into laughter in unison.

Spicer: the real story is the possibility of cnn colluding with clinton with debate questions

I mean, forget blaming the previous administration for everything like new ones tend to do, they​'re going to keep harping on someone who's never even been President while the walls burn down around them.

Diablos

And the Tarmac. Don't forget about the Tarmac. Loretta and Bill.

Has there ever been a less hype team in history
You're not kidding... that is pretty bad

The idea that the only time any meaningful laws can get passed in this country is during the brief two year window after a massive Democrat wave is pretty awful to think about.

Our government can't work like that. Something needs to happen. This isn't healthy.
A concensous speaker would do a lot of good during the Trump and Pence years. Find a moderate R or independent even if they're not in Congress and make him or her Speaker.

It will never happen of course

Blader

NPR‏
@NPR

Members of the House Freedom Caucus emerged from a White House meeting with no agreement on concessions that would get them to back the AHCA

"We're certainly trying to get to yes," Rep. Mark Meadows, the chairman of the caucus, said.

They had been discussing a rollback of the essential health benefits as well as guarantees for people with pre-existing conditions.

Our understanding is that the White House indicated those are non-negotiable.

Trump will meet with members of the moderate Tuesday Group today. Those members would be against concessions to the Freedom Caucus.

On an unrelated note: why is Trump so hellbent on bringing John Bolton into the administration? Isn't his foreign policy everything Trump opposes? And doesn't he hate Bolton's stache?

On an unrelated note: why is Trump so hellbent on bringing John Bolton into the administration? Isn't his foreign policy everything Trump opposes? And doesn't he hate Bolton's stache?

If the FC isn't going to vote without the removal of the pre-existing conditions thing, then this bill is very dead. No way they cut that out without losing moderates and especially the Senate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom