• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

I'm interested in the Airpods.
The battery life works for me and the features seems neat.

I worry about noise bleed though.

I like to listen to things loud and had to stop using the normal apple earbuds because people around me could hear my music.

I fear these will suffer from the same thing.

I'm pretty sure there will be noise bleed. Similar products I've seen are actual in-ear monitors with the silicon cushions to go inside and create a seal. These just look like regular EarPods.

Armadilo

Banned
Anybody else have Tmobile jump ? how do i get the iphone 7, do I just preorder online and then trade in my phone when I go to pick up the 7 ?

Oxn

I'm pretty sure there will be noise bleed. Similar products I've seen are actual in-ear monitors with the silicon cushions to go inside and create a seal. These just look like regular EarPods.

The sound wuality of earpods are one of the worst earplugs ive ever tried, and if these are like it, then i wont bother.

Blastoise

Banned
I knew I was gonna skip the 7. But man oh man did they make it easier.

Gonna cross my fingers for the 10th anniversary rumour.

Vyer

Anybody else have Tmobile jump ? how do i get the iphone 7, do I just preorder online and then trade in my phone when I go to pick up the 7 ?

they haven't given any details yet.

They have a 'pre register' link on their homepage where you can put your number and email. I'm guessing they're just going to send out info directly to people who do that as well as post it online.

Literally hate the design on the airpods. They basically just cut the wire off. I liked the mock design better. I want headphones that are discreet:(

Yeah not a fan of the design. One of my main (of many) fears with them is that it'll be really easy for people to snatch them from behind and run with them. Other than that, definitely in for an Apple Watch 2 (swimming focused-features are amazing to me since I swim a lot) but still unsure on the SE or the 7 matte black. Think I might be leaning towards the 7 but the lack of the jack and the comments on the home button worry me.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

If you are on Jump on Demand you'll need to do everything in store. Might be able to order over the phone but the old phone needs to be taken to a store.

T-mobile's online system can't handle Jump on Demand.

Yeah not a fan of the design. One of my main (of many) fears with them is that it'll be really easy for people to snatch them from behind and run with them. Other than that, definitely in for an Apple Watch 2 (swimming focused-features are amazing to me since I swim a lot) but still unsure on the SE or the 7 matte black. Think I might be leaning towards the 7 but the lack of the jack and the comments on the home button worry me.

You must live in a nice area.
I've never once had to watch out for my devices being snatched from my person.

Erebus

What's wrong with the home button?

Guess Who

Banned
What's wrong with the home button?

Instead of a mechanical click, it's now got force feedback like 3D Touch or a MacBook trackpad. But apparently it makes the whole bottom of the device push against you instead of feeling like a real click.

https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/07/applecare-plus-screen-repair-price-change/

This is pretty interesting. General repairs under Apple Care+ have an increase to 99 but screen repairs are only 29. Maybe I'll just go screen protector less and if I get a major gash in the screen just get it replaced for 30 bucks.
This greatly increases the value of the service in my eyes. Before it was kind of a rip off since it was like $110/$130 for a screen repair without Apple Care which kind of made it pointless for screen damage since it was $100 with Apple Care.

I currently have Verizon but am planning on switching to T-Mobile early next month. Am I good to get a 7 through the Apple Upgrade thing? Or should I wait and get it through T-Mobile?

I currently have Verizon but am planning on switching to T-Mobile early next month. Am I good to get a 7 through the Apple Upgrade thing? Or should I wait and get it through T-Mobile?

Doesn't make a difference, once it's activated it's an unlocked phone. It might be easier to get it done while you're on Verizon and then port to T-Mobile when you're ready. Just gotta pop your SIM card in there and go

I once again remind everyone that's worried about a totally totally wireless system either for day to day or sport use, that the Powerbeats3 has the same pairing method as the AirPods, hooks around the ears for support, plus burst charging like the AirPods

ZeroX03

Banned
https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/07/applecare-plus-screen-repair-price-change/

This is pretty interesting. General repairs under Apple Care+ have an increase to 99 but screen repairs are only 29. Maybe I'll just go screen protector less and if I get a major gash in the screen just get it replaced for 30 bucks.

Probably not great for me as I tend to put dents in everything except the screen, but everyone else I know will love this.

Is there a reason Apple hasn't merged EarPods with Beats?

Separate brand identities. They could do a very similar device for Beats, but it would look and be marketed differently.

Oxn

I once again remind everyone that's worried about a totally totally wireless system either for day to day or sport use, that the Powerbeats3 has the same pairing method as the AirPods, hooks around the ears for support, plus burst charging like the AirPods

What burst charging?

If the powerbeats 3 have all that and roughly the same price, then that is the better product.

Doesn't make a difference, once it's activated it's an unlocked phone. It might be easier to get it done while you're on Verizon and then port to T-Mobile when you're ready. Just gotta pop your SIM card in there and go
Oh nice, I've never had an unlocked phone, just always grabbed from my carrier. I thought you had to specify what network you were going to use and were locked in.

What burst charging?

If the powerbeats 3 have all that and roughly the same price, then that is the better product.

Charge for 5 minutes for 1 hour of power. AirPods have 15 minutes of charge time for 3 hours (which I know mathematically makes them seem the same but burst charging doesn't necessarily mean that). $159 for AirPods, $199 for Powerbeats3

ReAxion

I don't know. As chunky as Beats can be, they look more contemporary than EarPods, which still evoke the look of the OG iPod or Core2Duo MacBook.

Yeah I don't know either but I do wonder if Apple designers would be offended if their work got rebranded by the new guys, tho.

ZeroX03

Banned
Do EarPods sell a lot on their own?

I can't tell you for sure, I just know my local retailers have a steady turnover.

EarPods are the safe choice for consumers. Not too flashy but still recognizable, a familiar product from a brand they know. Besides if you're older you probably don't want to bother with the style of Beats or trying on a bunch of headphones. You just go with what you know works.

Roo

Surely someone will come out with a splitter or something.

Yup, this.
I honestly expect to see these (from third parties, of course) not too long after launch

Pgn8G4C.jpeg

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos

But those are ugly as fuck.
They also don't have the slick Siri integration.

ReAxion

You can control the haptic feedback tap of the Home Button in Settings. To what degree I don't know, tho.

I hadn't seen that anywhere, just the verge(?) thing about it being bad.

chualie

Would it be possible for third party to release an audio cable that has a lightning port at the end?

Don't mind the removal of the headphone jack but would like to have an alternate method of connecting my existing headphones.

Top Bottom