• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hiroshi Yamauchi dies at 85 (Nikkei)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mantidor

I hope someone who wants to talk about the games side of things gets to talk to Howard Lincoln.

Anyway, I saw that John TV retweeted this photo:

8WBxDG7.jpg

Kyle McLain ‏@FarmboyinJapan 4h
A young Hiroshi Yamauchi, standing alongside Roy O. Disney, securing the infamous Disney playing card deal.

Which I thought was really cool. I'm hoping more stuff like this surfaces.

That's prettty cool, I never thought the Disney deal was of that magnitude.

Cheerilee

Anything known about his 10%

Will something like that ever become public?

Yamauchi never left a will, so by the company's rules the stock will become available for public purchase in 2014, and Iwata would like to purchase it to consolidate his power, but he can't afford to buy that much stock right now, so he released the Wii to ensure that Nintendo's stock price tanks to the point where he can afford it, but then his plan backfired and the Wii invented waggle, but that was just a fad and the casuals betrayed Wii, and now the men with straightjackets are coming to take WiiU away to the looney bin, and it's about time for a magic negro to jump in and save the Wii brand, so that we can realize that Yamauchi really did leave a will, and he meant to leave his stock to Iwata, but through a technicality he actually left it to the Wii brand of hardware.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Thats so many of the Japanese gaming companies its not even funny. Seriously, thats why they are in such a down turn, old ass business decisions and models and no other input matters.

I know you guys hate Patchter but even he realizes companies like Nintendo are going to be in for rough(er) times until someone fresh gets their hands on the company, not the old guard and the old guard's apprentices.

Pachter is usually talking to investors. People who are increasingly looking for instant returns that encourage stuff like yearly Assassin's Creed games.

I don't really believe that particular model is especially stable in the long term. If that keeps up, we're going to see more big implosions and a new cycle of developer growth up from the current indies.

Foffy

Banned
Pachter is usually talking to investors. People who are increasingly looking for instant returns that encourage stuff like yearly Assassin's Creed games.

I don't really believe that particular model is especially stable in the long term. If that keeps up, we're going to see more big implosions and a new cycle of developer growth up from the current indies.

Arguably that's already beginning.

Here are the last games that Hiroshi Yamauchi was credited as "executive producer" on:

(Yamauchi retired as CEO of Nintendo on May 31st, 2002)

Game Boy Advance
Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak
05/31/02 Japan
Executive Producer: Hiroshi Yamauchi

GameCube
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
06/23/02 North America

Game Boy Advance
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
06/28/02 Japan

Game Boy Advance
Sakura Momoko no UkiUki Carnival
07/05/02 Japan

GameCube
Super Mario Sunshine
07/19/02 Japan
Executive Producer: Satoru Iwata
^ First game where Iwata was listed as executive producer

Game Boy Advance
Custom Robo GX
07/26/02 Japan

Game Boy Advance
Disney's Magical Mirror Starring Mickey Mouse
08/09/02 Japan

GameCube
Disney's Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse
08/09/02 Japan

Game Boy Advance
Densetsu no Starfy
09/06/02 Japan

Game Boy Advance
Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi Island + Mario Brothers
09/20/02 Japan
Executive Producer: Satoru Iwata
^ Second game released by Nintendo with the Iwata Executive Producer credit

GameCube
Star Fox Adventures
09/23/02 North America
Executive Producers:
Hiroshi Yamauchi (listed as H. Yamauchi)
Satoru Iwata (listed as S. Iwata)
Joel Hochberg (listed as J. Hochberg)
^ Only game where both Iwata and Yamauchi are listed as Executive Producers
^ Final game with Yamauchi listed as a video game credit
^ Final game released by Rare before they were still owned by Nintendo

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

I wonder when that word - investors - became synonymous with instant return...
It's basically the exact opposite of what it's supposed to mean..

I hope someone who wants to talk about the games side of things gets to talk to Howard Lincoln.

Anyway, I saw that John TV retweeted this photo:

8WBxDG7.jpg

Kyle McLain ‏@FarmboyinJapan 4h
A young Hiroshi Yamauchi, standing alongside Roy O. Disney, securing the infamous Disney playing card deal.

Which I thought was really cool. I'm hoping more stuff like this surfaces.

I'm late to the party, but crikey, I've never seen Yamauchi looking that young. Amazing photo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom