• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 2011 |OT| Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ignore the Davies hate from the HiveMind.
250px-OodBrain.jpg

Make up your own mind.

Solo said:
Okay, I will make a one episode commitment - I will watch the S5 premiere. If I like it, I will continue, and if I don't I won't. I've never watched an episode of this show so I have no idea how I will take to it.

Sounds good.

I've hooked people on Doctor Who with random episodes from Series 1-4. The Series 5 premiere is definitely a good start.

Honestly, concerning yourself with the Who mythology is like concerning yourself with James Bond mythology. There really is no point. There is a little more attention to continuity in Who but it never hinders the enjoyment for newcomers.

Rokam

Got the first two discs of season 5, enjoying this season so far. Although the fact that the last episode on Disc 2 is a cliffhanger really irks me. Now if someone could help me find the music playing during the last few seconds of The Time of Angels, it'd be greatly appreciated. I know it's been used before, and is almost always used in the lead up to something fantastic and/or brilliant. :lol

The Storyteller said:
That's actually a pretty good scene, they should've left it in. Makes me feel a little less irked by Amy coming onto the Doctor so strong.
That link seems dead, you can see the scene here: http://io9.com/5686732/watch-what-happened-on-doctor-who-after-amy-tried-to-hit-on-the-doctor
That scene was fantastic. Why the hell would they cut it?! I was enormously frustrated by Amy's characterization early on and this would have helped give her behaviour some context. Bah!

Jintor

I don't know if it was a deleted scene or if it was specially made as a DVD featurette.

EITHER WAY I LINKED IT EARLIER IN THE THREAD, YOU ASSHATS :T

Blader5489 said:
It's not a deleted scene, it was filmed after the fact, for the DVD release.

Lame. What exactly compelled them to write this and film it after the season? I guess someone else was pretty dissatisfied by Amy's characterisation too.

Jintor

The Storyteller said:
Lame. What exactly compelled them to write this and film it after the season? I guess someone else was pretty dissatisfied by Amy's characterisation too.

DVD extras!

Mr. Sam

You could tell they were DVD extras from the slight (but noticeable) dip in production quality. Then again, there were some dodgy moments within the series. I hate the opening of The Beast Below, for instance.

Jintor

I dislike Beast Below, period. Except for the Doctor's rant near the end.

Well, it's not terrible, it's just a huge disappointment after The 11th Hour

Mr. Sam

I love the shot of Amy and The Doctor in front of space at the end - as well as the shot of Amy hanging out the Tardis at the beginning. The episode is pretty enjoyable overall, but Lizten (or Liz Ten, whatever) really grated on me and the story didn't seem as fleshed out as it could have been. Still good though.

Sheppard

Playing catch up.

Solo, I agree with most ppl on the fact, that the RTD writing will kill you. But if you like Eccelston then watch The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances. Those will bring you in.

The OST for the specials are just god damn fantastic. It really makes me sad that the dynamic between Simm's Master and Tennant's Doctor will not be seen again. Four Knocks, floored me. Way to good.

Dr Zhivago said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Turlough was a great idea but the execution was a bit hit or miss at the time. Love the idea of a planted companion that was sent to kill the Doctor.

Sotha Sil

Still catching up with the series; just saw Blink. I think I'm starting to "get" the Moffat love. So awesome. Can't wait to watch series 5.

Sotha Sil said:
Still catching up with the series; just saw Blink. I think I'm starting to "get" the Moffat love. So awesome. Can't wait to watch series 5.
Blink is where my Moffat love solidified. I never really paid attention to who wrote what on Who until that episode. Then I looked back and saw all the others he wrote and saw a pattern of awesome.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Nickiepoo said:
While it's only slightly related, some of you might be interested in the Primeval 4 preview that was just released.

Watch it here

*squeel*

Can't wait, it's looking like theres going to be a lot more dinosaurs too. Excitement GET!

The Beast Below isn't great, in fact it might be Moffat's weakest script. That said just about every line Matt Smith has is fantastic.

"There's an escaped fish!"

"Once every five years, everybody choses to forget. Democracy in action."

"This isn't going to be big on dignity."

"It's always a big day tomorrow, we've got a time machine, I skip the little ones!"

"There's nothing broken. No sign of concussion. And yes, you are covered in sick."

Ravidrath

infiniteloop said:
The Beast Below isn't great, in fact it might be Moffat's weakest script. That said just about every line Matt Smith has is fantastic.

Yeah, I agree that it's Moffat's worst, but it's still quite good.

I think a lot of it comes down to the direction and execution? There was a lot of stuff to cram into that episode. Some of it was a bit heavy-handed, too.

I mean, Moffat's episodes are much denser than any others - usually they're full of lots of little things, but in that case it probably had too many big things.

I'm hoping we see more of Liz X, though.

Sotha Sil

PhoncipleBone said:
Blink is where my Moffat love solidified. I never really paid attention to who wrote what on Who until that episode. Then I looked back and saw all the others he wrote and saw a pattern of awesome.

Pretty much what I did too!

Liking the third series so far, but I'm having a hard time getting past Freema Agyeman's poor acting skills. I find her grating, but maybe that's just me.

The problems I have with The Beast Below are:
That it had too much content for a single episode, it should have been a two-parter.
The Doctor gets really angry with humans when he's seen them do far worse.
Associated with that, I didn't really buy that what was going on was so terrible that people would choose to forget. I think people would have rationalised it as 'for the greater good'.
Amy saves the day with amazing insights into the Doctor's nature, even though she's only just met him.
Complete and total underuse of the Demon Headmaster. :p

I'm just listening to the Series 5 soundtrack, and the visualiser produced an image of the Pandorica :0
Well a cube with circles on it anyway.

Furret

Banned
Dr Zhivago said:
The problems I have with The Beast Below are:
That it had too much content for a single episode, it should have been a two-parter.
The Doctor gets really angry with humans when he's seen them do far worse.
Associated with that, I didn't really buy that what was going on was so terrible that people would choose to forget. I think people would have rationalised it as 'for the greater good'.
Amy saves the day with amazing insights into the Doctor's nature, even though she's only just met him.
Complete and total underuse of the Demon Headmaster. :p

I'm just listening to the Series 5 soundtrack, and the visualiser produced an image of the Pandorica :0
Well a cube with circles on it anyway.

Wow, you must really hate whales.

Rokam

Decided to keep first 2 dvds over the weekend. Watched the Eleventh Hour too many times. The ending with the line "Basically...run" is great coupled with the 11th Doctor's theme. Commentary was great as well.

Just watched the series 5 premiere for the first time. Fantastic stuff. The show has a totally different energy now. It is both more serious and more fun at the same time. It feels less campy, but retains its camp elements. So far nearly perfect. And as I have known for the past year or so: Karen Gillan=yummy.

And to the other Whovians on GAF: Craig Ferguson is having a Dalek on the show tonight, and tomorrow (Tues Nov 16th) his guest will be Matt Smith and the entire episode will be Doctor Who themed.

PhoncipleBone said:
Just watched the series 5 premiere for the first time. Fantastic stuff. The show has a totally different energy now. It is both more serious and more fun at the same time. It feels less campy, but retains its camp elements. So far nearly perfect. And as I have known for the past year or so: Karen Gillan=yummy.

And to the other Whovians on GAF: Craig Ferguson is having a Dalek on the show tonight, and tomorrow (Tues Nov 16th) his guest will be Matt Smith and the entire episode will be Doctor Who themed.

OMFG I never knew about the Dalek today. Yeah Smith is on tomorrow, and Ferguson invited Chris Hardwick (from the abyss that is G4) since that guy is a huge Who fan too.

Discotheque said:
OMFG I never knew about the Dalek today. Yeah Smith is on tomorrow, and Ferguson invited Chris Hardwick (from the abyss that is G4) since that guy is a huge Who fan too.
I am crossing my fingers that Ferguson gets to keep a Dalek. Just imagine: a robot skeleton sidekick, and a Dalek. I predict awesomeness tonight, but LOTS tomorrow.

The official press release:
CBS said:
ALL “DOCTOR WHO”-THEMED “THE LATE Late Show

with CRAIG FERGUSON,” TUESDAY, NOV. 16

LOS ANGELES – Nov. 15, 2010 — THE LATE Late Show with CRAIG FERGUSON welcomes guest Matt Smith, the 11th Doctor on “Doctor Who,” Tuesday, Nov. 16 on the CBS Television Network. The special edition of the Late Night show will also feature a “Doctor Who”-themed cold open, monologue, email segment with Nerdist Chris Hardwick and, as teased by host Craig Ferguson through his Twitter account (@CraigyFerg), a Dalek.

THE LATE Late Show with CRAIG FERGUSON airs weeknights (12:37-1:37 AM, ET/PT) following broadcasts of the “Late Show with David Letterman” on CBS. THE LATE Late Show with CRAIG FERGUSON is executive produced by Peter Lassally.

Eteric Rice said:
Pfft, the creators of this show don't know that Dinosaurs had feathers.

J/K, still gonna check it out. :D
11hcqjr.jpg

The cold open on Ferguson was good. He used the Dalek, but it was not plugged in. I am disappointed that it wasn't on without his knowledge. I was wanting him to be messing with it to just have it turn on and scream "EXTERMINATE!"

Nickiepoo

Eteric Rice said:
Pfft, the creators of this show don't know that Dinosaurs had feathers.

The public just aren't ready for raptors with chicken wings.

infiniteloop said:
"This isn't going to be big on dignity."

This is pretty much what sold me on Smith being awesome.

PhoncipleBone said:
I am crossing my fingers that Ferguson gets to keep a Dalek. Just imagine: a robot skeleton sidekick, and a Dalek. I predict awesomeness tonight, but LOTS tomorrow.

The official press release:
Why wasn't I informed about this!? What have I already missed? What is yet to come?

DoctorWho said:
Why wasn't I informed about this!? What have I already missed? What is yet to come?
Last night it was only a non functioning Dalek during the cold open. Tonight at 1235 it is the entire Who themed episode. Trying to finish episode 9 of series 5 before it starts.

Video of last night:http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=US#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=vfCaxb2yB60

If the link doesn't work, sorry. Hard to do YouTube searches to paste from iPad. Just do a search for "Craig ferguson dalek"

DoctorWho said:

Here's Ferguson's opening with the Dalek.

ROFL. Can't wait for tonight's full Doctor Who Craig Ferguson special. Easily the best person on late night right now I think.

FUUUU beaaten.

Ferguson special was great! Too bad they didn't have the rights to the theme music. You'd think they would have secured that along with getting Matt Smith on the episode. I think Ferguson's TARDIS was the same as the TARDIS Cookie Jar I have.

Also, I've purchased the TARDIS/DeLorean t-shirt.

I'm such a sucker.

$15 off woot.com or just google TARDIS/DeLorean Shirt.

What a waste of time that Matt Smith interview was. What's the point of having him if you're just going to talk over him?

In other news, looks like
Matthew Graham is writing a 2-parter and it might have Daleks in it

infiniteloop said:
What a waste of time that Matt Smith interview was. What's the point of having him if you're just going to talk over him?

Matthew Graham writing and episode is a mixed bag for me, while Life on Mars is fantastic, Fear Her is one of the worst Dr Who episodes I have ever seen.

Indeed. In his defense, I believe he had to knock out a cheap episode quickly when another script fell through.

BBC America is showing A Christmas Carol (the 2010 Christmas ep) on Christmas day in the US.

Still gonna download it

infiniteloop said:

That is Ferguson's schtick. I thought the interview was a lot of fun. Especially the real awkward pause they got out of Smith.

infiniteloop said:
Indeed. In his defense, I believe he had to knock out a cheap episode quickly when another script fell through.

BBC America is showing A Christmas Carol (the 2010 Christmas ep) on Christmas day in the US.

Hopefully Space does the same in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom