• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs Release Date and new Trailer coming today?

Tagg9

I don't think they delayed it in response to GTA. ESPECIALLY considering GTA isn't on the next gen systems. I think the game just wasn't coming together the way they needed it to fast enough to hit the original date. This being the first in what they want to be a big new franchise, they have to come out of the gate strong. 5-6 months could conceivably give you enough time to polish it to that point. Especially if it was shippable as it was.

Apparently the mock reviews for the game were fairly low when it was tested in September. I've also heard that they were having running way behind schedule porting the game to PS3/360, but I don't know if there's any truth to that.

And now because they missed having a potentially insanely high attach rate due to being a console launch title, they have to now come out of the gate even stronger. It's true that if they are looking at an April or May release that there isn't currently a large lineup of high profile AAA games slated for those months, but the lack of any kind of screens or media is concerning. GIven how pretty AC4 is on my PS4, I'm not so concerned about fidelity even if the new trailer they show is from the PC version. I'm just very curious how much of AC's DNA made it into WD's final build.

Yep. Definitely a calculated risk and gamble. I think it's fair to say they lost a LOT of momentum by delaying it. Especially considering how saturated the marketing was getting. But people are hungry for next current gen games and I think they'll still do well as long as they release before the holiday. Either way though, we'll be getting a better game because of it.

Apparently the mock reviews for the game were fairly low when it was tested in September. I've also heard that they were having running way behind schedule porting the game to PS3/360, but I don't know if there's any truth to that.

Yeah, exactly. Like I said above, they lost a lot hype and momentum by delaying it, but it probably would have damaged the brand more if it had come out and averaged around 6-7. It still probably would have sold well int he short term, but no one would be hyped for a sequel. Plus with it coming out so close to AC4, they didn't need it, and it might have cannibalised a lot of sales. If it was really tracking low, delaying it was the best long vision option.

jacobeid

Banned
I actually forgot that this game is coming out. They lost so much mind share, I'm curious to see how the numbers turn out.

Chabbles

Its weird how this game has disappeared from the spotlight altogether. I was thinking about this yesterday, barely a week would go by without seeing something about it.. but lately, nothing... its about time we got a release date already.

I would like to see a trailer come out since it's been awhile from the last one. As for the release date, I'm betting it will release around the middle of May or the first week of June.

jmizzal

I hope its April but I think they will pull a The Last of Us and release right after E3 in June, that worked well for that game

AdanVC

I was about to scream "YES, FINALLY!" but then I remembered I'm a Wii U user... we can either get the game relatively soon after the main release or probably 9 months later like Rayman Legends. Sigh. Either way, looking forward to this game.

ekim

So it's after 6pm here in Germany, the time ubi usually does press releases. :-/
Either I was wrong or they are doing it later.

krae_man

Whatever the date is, it will be after E3. That's just what we need. A game we found out about two years ago taking up precious press conference time.

I'm more interested in knowing in detail what was fixed, added or changed during the extra dev time. Actual in-depth info not just PR babble.

lol i remember when this game killed GAF a few years ago at e3, and now everyone basicly forgot about it. i may pick it up if it releases in the summer drought, but after that is pushing it. no way am i picking watch dogs over destiny or the order

viveks86

Well they did annouce Trials Fusion at 9 am PST. I don't think we'll get anything more today. Even if the image in the OP is true, nothing indicates it's going to be today.

Maybe they didn't want to interfere with the trials fusion announcement. (Which is also from Ubi)
Let's see and wait. :)

But...

nyybb.gif

DrZeus

I hope they added flying vehicles into the game during this delay. Release it the 1st week of June Ubi! Would be a nice bday gift!

Some Nobody

Whatever the date is, it will be after E3. That's just what we need. A game we found out about two years ago taking up precious press conference time.

Dude. Its Ubisoft. They were just gonna hype AC anyway. But no, it's scheduled for Q2 and most likely will hit in April or May. They've got to hype The Division now.

Mortemis

Banned
Just like a lot of people, this game lost my attention quick. Unless the new trailer shows something different from the others that is interesting I'll probably wait until it's $20 to try it out.

I got a feeling this'll end up like Tomb Raider though, they sell a lot but are still short of their expectations. Iirc this game has an enormously large budget too, so I wouldn't be surprised if that happened.

Question for those of you that purchase "Art of... " books for games: Do they normally come out before a game's release? Particularly a game with a lot of story elements. I imagine they're full of not only concept art and things that never made the cut, but also stuff that's super spoiler-y.

The reason I ask is that the Art of Watch Dogs book [link] is still slated for a 4/22/2014 release. That's also a Tuesday.

For context, the AC4 art book was released on that title's launch day (10/29/13).

Question for those of you that purchase "Art of... " books for games: Do they normally come out before a game's release? Particularly a game with a lot of story elements. I imagine they're full of not only concept art and things that never made the cut, but also stuff that's super spoiler-y.

The reason I ask is that the Art of Watch Dogs book [link] is still slated for a 4/22/2014 release. That's also a Tuesday.

For context, the AC4 art book was released on that title's launch day (10/29/13).

:O I would not be surprised if that is the release date.

jmizzal

nice find, I hope we find out soon

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Good find. Sometimes they tend to be a week or two off of the release date, either before or after, but it does give a good ballpark figure.

Top Bottom