• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tennis - General Discussion

Davis Cup has been interesting so far. Biggest upset so far has been Belgium over Germany. The Zverev brothers disappointed mightily. Canada and Great Britain currently tied 2-2, but Great Britain has a big advantage considering the final match is Edmund v. Shapovalov.

sam777

If anyone wants to see how Canada got defaulted, I took a video.
For some reason youtube wont let me upload in HD so you can only see the ball hitting him at the last second of the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eJjDBtz9Tk

BBC Sport has the video online, not sure if you can view outside the U.K though.

Anyway I feel bad for Shapavolov as he obviously did not mean it but he proper launched it and the umpire will have a nice shiner for a few days.

oti

Banned
BBC Sport has the video online, not sure if you can view outside the U.K though.

Anyway I feel bad for Shapavolov as he obviously did not mean it but he proper launched it and the umpire will have a nice shiner for a few days.

Doesn't matter. He could have hit a kid. DQ immediately.

sam777

Doesn't matter. He could have hit a kid. DQ immediately.

I am not arguing about the default I totally agree with that, I felt bad for him in the sense that he is only 17 and in such a pressure match a daft mistake from himself has cost his team as well as injuring the umpire.

oti

Banned
I am not arguing about the default I totally agree with that, I felt bad for him in the sense that he is only 17 and in such a pressure match a daft mistake from himself has cost his team as well as injuring the umpire.

Yeah, sure, I can see that. Is there a shitstorm in Canada about this? Do they care, eh?

Ricker

That was very sad...hey,Shapovalov is 17,he will learn I hope,it cost Canada the series,yeah he was probably going to lose anyway but still...umpire is fine but that must of stung...

Speaking of lessons learned and on a lighter note :

''Genie was one of the millions of people who thought the "Big Game" was over at half time.

With the Falcons holding a comfortable lead, the 22-year-old Westmount native told the world she knew Atlanta was going to win. The statement made with so much time left led to one of her adoring fans on Twitter deciding to play the odds, asking the tennis star out on a date should Tom Brady and Patriots manage to pull off the great comeback in Super Bowl history.

She agreed.

@geniebouchard if patriots win we go on a date?

— TW1 (@punslayintwoods) February 6, 2017
Sure

— Genie Bouchard (@geniebouchard) February 6, 2017
When it looked like the Patriots were down and out in the second half, their chance of coming back to win was 0.4 per cent,

As the game that once looked in the bag now seemed very much in doubt, Bouchard started to realize she may have to go on a date with some random guy on Twitter.

So...where do you live?

@geniebouchard Chicago. Go to school in Missouri. We can go on a date where ever you want! ��

— TW1 (@punslayintwoods) February 6, 2017
Once New England running back James White pushed his way into the end zone to score the game winning overtime touchdown, Bouchard knew the now golden rule:

Lesson learned. Never bet against Tom Brady ��

No word on where and when the prospective love birds will be meeting up.

Milchmann

Major fuckup in the USA-Germany Fed Cup tie today: The USTA played the first stanza of the Deutschlandlied as German national anthem.
Some background: SInce 1952 only the third stanza of the song is used as German national anthem, and the fist stanza is frowned upon and de facto banned because of its nationalistic content and because it was the national anthem in Nazi Germany.

There is a joke about the current American presidency and "America first" and "Deutschland über alles" in there somewhere.

Major fuckup in the USA-Germany Fed Cup tie today: The USTA played the first stanza of the Deutschlandlied as German national anthem.
Some background: SInce 1952 only the third stanza of the song is used as German national anthem, and the fist stanza is frowned upon and de facto banned because of its nationalistic content and because it was the national anthem in Nazi Germany.

There is a joke about the current American presidency and "America first" and "Deutschland über alles" in there somewhere.

Not only that, but the tie is being played in Hawaii, the state at the forefront of why the US entered WWII

oti

Banned

Wow.

Ricker

Yeah,just read about that...it was unfortunate but obviously just a huge mistake.Petkovic saying its the worst thing that ever happened in her life is a little exaggerated I think...

oti

Banned
Yeah,just read about that...it was unfortunate but obviously just a huge mistake.Petkovic saying its the worst thing that ever happened in her life is a little exaggerate I think...

You don't understand how terrible of a mistake that was. Vergangenheitsbewältigung is the one thing Germans feel OK to be proud of. If you sing that verse and believe you're honouring Germans, you are spitting in our faces.

Yeah,just read about that...it was unfortunate but obviously just a huge mistake.Petkovic saying its the worst thing that ever happened in her life is a little exaggerate I think...
Agreed. Petkovic wasn't even born in Germany so I don't see how it meant so much to her. It's not like she had ancestors in Germany during WWII. Anyways, USA swept the Germans in Fed cup 3-0 so the unintentional psychological warfare worked

LuuKyK

which WTA stars are in it? I loved Wozniaki's body suit last year

Genie is in it (not sure who else):

SWIM158_TK1_01556-rawWMFinal1920.jpg

is this nsfw? lol

Ricker

The year of DelPo begins this week at Delray Beach!!

So is the year of Raonic ;P he won over Delslo and will meet Sock in the final today....go Milos.

I need Svilotina to finish off Kerber rn. for serena.

Svitolina actually won her first big tournament in Dubai,beating Woz in 2 sets...she changed her attitude a bit,she doesnt look down on herself after each lost point now hehe and she is playing great,she pounces on everything it seems and is very fun to watch...she is in the top 10 now.

Top Bottom