• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Continuum Shift EXTEND |OT| - Now with New Hat

Fugu

Ok, sounds like we're mostly in agreement about Lambda. I main Lambda, play offline and one of my most played matchups is against Rachel, which is why I was confused when you started drawing parallels between the two. Anyway, back to Rachel.

George is not infallible, but he is a very good oki tool (Cue "George is the best character in the game" jokes).

You can jump straight out of George if he is thrown down midscreen or if you're standing because he takes some time before he activates, but after a corner knockdown George is effectively a meaty if thrown at the end of Rachel's combo. The reason why I think he is such a good oki tool is because he locks down a lot of your escape options in that situation. I don't think waking up with 1f invincibility moves is effective if Rachel is close to you and blocking, because then she would simply block the wakeup move and then George would shock you, allowing Rachel to follow up with a combo that usually ends with meaty George again.

Here's the way I see it. If I'm knocked down in the corner against George oki, and Rachel is sitting near me on the ground, outside throw range and waiting for George to activate, my wakeup options are limited like this:

Tech roll - physically blocked by Rachel and would get shocked by George.
Wakeup throw - out of range.
Wakeup DP - Rachel only needs to block the first hit and wait for George to activate.
Burst - Not a good time to burst, but if I did, the above would apply again.

Basically all I can do is neutral tech and block, which gives Rachel a free pass into going in for pressure and mixups. All of my escape options are AFTER blocking George. Like you said, they're only a few free hits, but they are significant because it gives her free momentum. Maybe Rachel's corner pressure is easier for you to deal with because Litchi has much better melee than Lambda, but once Rachel has me in the corner, it's very hard to get out. I have very few points to mash/run/jump out, which makes it relatively simple for the Rachel player to deny those escape attempts with a little bit of reading.

But I suppose that's fair, since Rachel has a hard time getting in on Lambda in the first place.

Does Litchi's DP outright kill George? I think most DPs don't. Maybe that's why George seems like less of a threat to you than it does to me.

By the way, where have you been playing offline? Just curious, because I don't see you around the local arcade much and we're both from the same area.
I play with my friends a lot. I don't get out to Lovegety much because it was far as hell from where I used to live. Where I am now is a lot closer to it and now that the YRT strike is over I may make more of an effort to come out; the last time I went I ended up having to walk from Highway 7 and Kennedy which took about three hours.

Litchi's DP both kills George and pushes Rachel back (assuming it hits her), but it is still -23 on block. However, all 1F invincible DPs will force Rachel to consider them and adjust her pressure accordingly, diminishing George's effectiveness.

Shout outs to George not being a great oki tool. It might actually be best oki in the game that is not a super. Sure, Litchi's dd and Carl's & Relius' doll dd are far superior, but remember that Rachel is not using 50% meter.
This is a response to both of you simultaneously I guess.
It is a great oki tool, but it's not the best, at least I don't think so. Actually, it depends on the paramters of the argument -- as an isolated tool, George accomplishes a lot of goals, but I would argue that there are a few characters that have better meterless corner oki than Rachel, Litchi and Carl being two of them. In fact, maybe the reason I don't think George is that good is because 2D staff set accomplishes basically the same thing with less specific circumstances surrounding its setup (but more circumstances surrounding its use I guess -- I can't just throw out moves for free).

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I play with my friends a lot. I don't get out to Lovegety much because it was far as hell from where I used to live. Where I am now is a lot closer to it and now that the YRT strike is over I may make more of an effort to come out; the last time I went I ended up having to walk from Highway 7 and Kennedy which took about three hours.
Ouch. Yeah, I remember hearing about how far it was for you. Understandable.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Turns out Tsubaki is a lot of fun. I'm going to spend some time with her and see what I can figure out. I tried some of her challenges and already enjoy some of what she can do. Learning to stay relatively calm when faced with an enemy is another story, though. ;)

so it turns out that i'm so used to picking monochrome, that if i'm not actively thinking about which color to choose, i do it automatically

even when i'm not looking x_x

cj_iwakura

Turns out Tsubaki is a lot of fun. I'm going to spend some time with her and see what I can figure out. I tried some of her challenges and already enjoy some of what she can do. Learning to stay relatively calm when faced with an enemy is another story, though. ;)

Her BNB (BBCCetc.) is one of the most fun in the game. Great for doing massive damage, especially if you follow up with her 6C/4C after knocking them away with 2CC.

Her BNB (BBCCetc.) is one of the most fun in the game. Great for doing massive damage, especially if you follow up with her 6C/4C after knocking them away with 2CC.

Tsubaki has a flawed game. She's a rushdown character that needs to stop the pressure for charges. I'm expecting a huge overhaul for her in BB3 since she's blind and everything. Hopefully something about gaining a stock of charge at the end of a combo ala HOS.

Tsubaki has a flawed game. She's a rushdown character that needs to stop the pressure for charges. I'm expecting a huge overhaul for her in BB3 since she's blind and everything. Hopefully something about gaining a stock of charge at the end of a combo ala HOS.

But floating down, charging like a boss after an air combo is one of the best parts of this game. I know I generally have to work to get back in afterwards, but Its always worth it

Haha, it's okay. The prob with air charge is that you cannot block right before landing.

I only air charge after a hard knockdown from an air combo. But if people are doing it randomly, then you know they are playing for style. I might just have to incorporate random Air charging into my game for the style factor

My favorite part is that I have NO idea what you all are talking about. :p

Tsubaki's air charge has a landing animation. During this animation, you cannot block/attack/do anything, so you're a standing dummy. Which doesn't make sense because if I remember correctly, you can attack or even air block in the air right after the charge.

I left early cause I wanted to watch Cross Assault. I've played the game for about a hour D:, going through the challenges. Didn't realize there was more than 10 trials per character, I thought Relius #10 was too easy until it went on to the 11th. D: I'll get there, I need to watch more videos and practice
steal
combos.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Came across a set of tutorial videos for Tsubaki. They're in Japanese, but maybe they'll still help. It's a four-part thing, with links to the other parts in the video description:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLCXv-Nvx1g

I'm not sure how I feel about Platinum. 1/3rd awesome, 2/3rds drive me crazy.
(And I don't just mean her personality.)
I think I know what you mean. Some of her comically large moves are awesome, but the way she endlessly vomits hearts and sparkles while fighting causes mental damage.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Came across a set of tutorial videos for Tsubaki. They're in Japanese, but maybe they'll still help. It's a four-part thing, with links to the other parts in the video description:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLCXv-Nvx1g

Dear lord, Tsubaki is faster and more pressing than I initially thought. She moves across the screen like woah...Thanks for posting that! I'll spend some time watching and (trying) to learn. Crazy cool, haha.

Filth

I bought a vita today. Should I download this game? I'm a fighting game fan and I can't wait for the new street fighter. I'm
Just worried its hard to perform moves on the vita. Which btw is the most insane handheld I've ever played. !!!

I bought a vita today. Should I download this game? I'm a fighting game fan and I can't wait for the new street fighter. I'm
Just worried its hard to perform moves on the vita. Which btw is the most insane handheld I've ever played. !!!

I'd argue this would be a better choice due to button limitations on the Vita. BlazBlue uses four buttons, Vita has four face buttons, go for broke. I don't count shoulder buttons, sorry. ;)

Speaking of broke - I may have to finally pop this in tomorrow and get warmed up. Need more hours in the day. =_=

Getting my teeth into story mode for the first time..... well, ever. Didn't play it much in CT. But, those gag endings are soooooo great. Only been through a few, but they are amazing so far. I loved Rachel's with the glasses. And I appreciate how they all make fun of Jin's obsession with Ragna.

And the "Help Me Miss Kokonoe" stuff is great too. I truly love Arc System Works

also, Relius Clover terrifies me...... seriously

Tailer

Platinum suuuuucks

But but... I love her she's freaking awesome :p

Oh well will probably have blazblue next week on Wednesday, so feel free to add me on vita username is "Taileru-Kun" I'm kinda decent at the game so don't expect me to be pro :p.

Tobe

platinum is way harder than i though still she is moe tier, might as well invest the time any scrub players in here for a couple of matches tomorrow any time EST

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I played a little bit of Blazblue on my Vita last night. Seems like a perfect port of the console version. Very fluid. I still need to figure out whether to use the d-pad or analog and how to grip the console to play the game effectively

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I played a little bit of Blazblue on my Vita last night. Seems like a perfect port of the console version. Very fluid. I still need to figure out whether to use the d-pad or analog and how to grip the console to play the game effectively

Having never played the game anywhere but the Vita, I can agree that this feels like a portable console game versus a portable game (if that makes sense). VERY well done.

As for gripping, I've been good with the standard...Uh...Grip? But I've been looking at the PDP Trigger Grips. Once I find some close by, I'll be grabbing a pair - makes the Vita more like a PS3/360 controller in form.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This might sound weird, but I never played the Story Mode in the original Blazblue, and still haven't played my Continuum Shift copy.

Is the story mode in this the same as the other games just EXTENDed? I'll play the first game's story line if it means I won't miss out on some of the story.

The game looks beautiful on the Vita. No way would I used the analog stick for this. D-Pad for me. My normal grip works just fine.

Having never played the game anywhere but the Vita, I can agree that this feels like a portable console game versus a portable game (if that makes sense). VERY well done.

As for gripping, I've been good with the standard...Uh...Grip? But I've been looking at the PDP Trigger Grips. Once I find some close by, I'll be grabbing a pair - makes the Vita more like a PS3/360 controller in form.

Most games I have on Vita feel like portable console games instead of just portable games. The only exceptions might be HSG, Super Stardust and Lumines

Skilletor

Blazblue is perfect on this console. The DPAD is amazing and the buttons are awesome. I hold the Vita like a do a DS2, one hand on the console, with it resting on my legs to press buttons.

Can't wait for Tekken, SC, and DoA on the Vita. Going to be hot fiah.

Blazblue is perfect on this console. The DPAD is amazing and the buttons are awesome. I hold the Vita like a do a DS2, one hand on the console, with it resting on my legs to press buttons.

I wish Scamco would drop the price of PSP Soul Calibur. :/

This might sound weird, but I never played the Story Mode in the original Blazblue, and still haven't played my Continuum Shift copy.

Is the story mode in this the same as the other games just EXTENDed? I'll play the first game's story line if it means I won't miss out on some of the story.

The CT story in this is a tighter reconstruction of the original. The CS story is exactly the same as the previous console release, except 4 new scenarios for the new characters.

The CT story in this is a tighter reconstruction of the original. The CS story is exactly the same as the previous console release, except 4 new scenarios for the new characters.

I think there's also two other extra scenarios for random stuff. It looks like it on the select screen anyway. Haven't bothered to go through them yet.

Esura

Banned
Hey Prototype-03, since you main Rachel, whats your tips for using her? Figured I might as well learn her if I'm going to try to learn I-no of all characters on AC PSN.

Volcynika

I just spent the past two days burning through Asura's Wrath, so I should be back on within a day or two. Maybe I can put in a good bit of time Sunday.

I just spent the past two days burning through Asura's Wrath, so I should be back on within a day or two. Maybe I can put in a good bit of time Sunday.

NOBODY MISSES YOU ANYWAY :(

Hey Prototype-03, since you main Rachel, whats your tips for using her? Figured I might as well learn her if I'm going to try to learn I-no of all characters on AC PSN.

Hmm... what tips do you need specifically? Keep in mind that I haven't really touched her seriously for a while. I think I got ONE midscreen BNB yesterday out of like... 10-20 matches... so I'm really out of touch with her. The main thing is to learn when to use wind and setting up pumpkins/frogs.

The main midscreen BNB that I would suggest you learning is 6A, 5B, sj.C, 2D, jc, [delay], j2C (level 2), 236B, j.C, dj, j.C, j.214C, (land), frog. Her 6A is really versatile since it can be used on the ground, or as an AA. On counterhit AA 6A, you wanna run up to the opponent a little bit and then 5B, then finish combo as usual.

I DO hear that the new thing to do is 6A, 5B, sj.C, 2D, jc, [delay], j2C (level2), 2A [whiff], 5C[whiff]C to put the opponent into the corner... but again I would have to mess around with it.

Salaadin

Blazblue Vita is gorgeous. And that D-pad works surprisingly well. Very happy with it.

So story mode in this requires playthroughs of certain characters to unlock others? Im assuming that certain endings unlock certain characters, etc? Is there a good guide anywhere that lays this all out?

When I booted it last night and saw the menu pop up with all the various game modes, I was shocked. Theres a lot to do here.

blackflag

Yes, it definitely has an amazing d-pad. So easy to pull off moves. It is a tad small for my huge hands but I got used to it pretty much already.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just bought a pair of PDP Trigger Grips. As soon as I get out of work, I'll be trying BlazBlue to see how it feels with a bit of palm support on the Vita. :)

Top Bottom