• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

nVidia announces Titan V (V for Volta)

llien

Mere $2,999 and it is yours:

NVIDIA in a shock move, announced its new flagship graphics card, the TITAN V. This card implements the "Volta" GV100 graphics processor, the same one which drives the company's Tesla V100 HPC accelerator. The GV100 is a multi-chip module, with the GPU die and three HBM2 memory stacks sharing a package. The card features 12 GB of HBM2 memory across a 3072-bit wide memory interface. The GPU die has been built on the 12 nm FinFET+ process by TSMC. NVIDIA TITAN V maxes out the GV100 silicon, if not its memory interface, featuring a whopping 5,120 CUDA cores, 640 Tensor cores (specialized units that accelerate neural-net building/training). The CUDA cores are spread across 80 streaming multiprocessors (64 CUDA cores per SM), spread across 6 graphics processing clusters (GPCs). The TMU count is 320.

The GPU core is clocked at 1200 MHz, with a GPU Boost frequency of 1455 MHz, and an HBM2 memory clock of 850 MHz, translating into 652.8 GB/s memory bandwidth (1.70 Gbps stacks). The card draws power from a combination of 6-pin and 8-pin PCIe power connectors. Display outputs include three DP and one HDMI connectors. With a wallet-scorching price of USD $2,999, and available exclusively through NVIDIA store, the TITAN V is evidence that with Intel deciding to sell client-segment processors for $2,000, it was a matter of time before GPU makers seek out that price-band. At $3k, the GV100's margins are probably more than made up for.

techpowerup

NOTE: nVidia's Huang said that company spent $3 billion on developing Volta. nVidia's revenue from datacenter business peaked at 500 million in Q3 2017, so Volta hasn't paid for itself yet.

Q: How many (T/G/whatever) FLOPS?
A:
Titan X
CUDA Cores - 3584
Base Clock - 1431Mhz
Boost Clock - 1531Mhz
Gflops at base clock: 10,257 (cores * clock * 2 operations per cycle)
Gflops at boost clock: 10,974

Titan V
CUDA Cores - 5120
Base Clock - 1200Mhz (hmmm)
Boost clock - 1455Mhz
Gflops at base clock: 12,288
Gflops at boost clock: 14,899

Q: But why not $5,999?
A: That would go beyond "2 times last highest price" rule. Perhaps with Ampere.

JordanN

Banned
In Canadian money, that's gotta be $5999. 😞

I really hate how we gotta pay double for our electronics. I want to upgrade my GTX 960 so badly.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Wow, almost as powerful as the Xbox BEAST GPU.

No no no, master cerny shows us true power

20171208_101913.jpg

But how many TFLOPS?

13.8 TFlops at stock clocks. Overclocking with liquid cooling or even good air cooling these cards should be able to double a stock 1080 (9 TFlops). If the power limit is not an issue on these cards they might even be able to break 20 TFlops using liquid cooling.

Indeed, its a GPU focused in deep learning (tensors), so why release it to the gamer consumers ?!

These are salvaged GV100. One stack of memory, 1/4 of the ROPs, and 1/4 of the L2 cache are disabled. Surprisingly that is all that has been disabled, I guess that there is already enough shader harvesting already with the GV100 (5% overprovision) that nothing else has to be compromised on these salvaged parts.

Xyphie

Assuming they both peak out at around ~2GHz clock this card should be around ~40% faster than 1080 Ti. Jesus.

JimboJones

wow that is actually amazing if dynamic is turned off.
turn 10 wizards

Just depends on the game, good few games can be 4k on those mid range graphics cards if your willing to sacrifice some effects, texture resolution, 60fps, etc.

LordOfChaos

Thank you for using the CUDA cores Gflops. Non-technical websites are running with the 100Tflop tensor processing speed and people are freaking out that it's 10x faster. It's not, only for AI training and other tensor based math (not gaming, not mining)

That's also great though, it's a budget P100 for academics more than a pricey Geforce. Those go for 7K.

Senua

wow that is actually amazing if dynamic is turned off.
turn 10 wizards

It's a good engine, but I the GTX 1060 is a great mid range card also, similar in power to the XB1X GPU.

Ordered mine this morning! Should be here tomorrow! Christmas just got a touch more interesting.

Dayum, you didn't just buy it for gaming though did you?

Vic20

It's a good engine, but I the GTX 1060 is a great mid range card also, similar in power to the XB1X GPU.

Dayum, you didn't just buy it for gaming though did you?

[shifty eyes] no of course not, that would be completely foolish! that said, yes, yes I did. :p

Vic20

I would imagine that the cards performance will stack out in this manner:

Titan V = 30-35% faster than Titan Xp (now, apparently)
1180 = 20-25% faster than Titan Xp (mid spring 2018)
1180 Ti = 30% faster than Titan Xp (winter 2018)
Titan V2 = =40% faster than Titan Xp (winter 2018)

LordOfChaos

Strikes me that this is the one chip that would significantly set apart the new Mac Pro from the iMac Pro, since the latter is on something WX9100-ey. The AI training boost from this would be massive.

Top Bottom