• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony trying to trademark the term "Let's Play"?

duvjones

Banned
Arrogant Sony is back!
Dude, they never left.... Arrogant Sony has a nasty way of coming back in some zombie like state. You given that corporation anything and, if popular, pride will make them do things like this.

And honestly, I think that the reaction to this is rather telling. If this was any other company (with the exception of Valve Software and Apple Inc.)... Oh, the outrage that I would be hearing would NEVER STOP. Imaging if say, EA was trying for this kind of patent? All corners of the internet would be buzzing with hate. This is found and... nothing.
Pretty cringe but Sony has done worse.
Sad but true...

Remember those stupid ass commercials with "Sony's own Kevin Butler"?

Did ANYONE find those funny?
Yeah, I remember those... personally found them hilarious if a bit lame.
I doubt that I am the only one.

Sony fails miserably:

Update

Sony Computer Entertainment America has received another blow to its attempt to trademark Let's Play with the United States Patent And Trademark Office.

The McArthur Law Firm has shared its objection to the trademark in an online post:

"Two weeks ago, on behalf of the gaming community, The McArthur Law Firm filed a Letter of Protest with the United States Patent and Trademark Office (“USPTO”). The letter spoke out against Sony's attempt to trademark the term “Let's Play” for video game streaming. In the letter, we cited over 50 examples of how Let's Play is generic and descriptive of video game streaming.

"The gaming community spoke, and the USPTO listened! The USPTO has finally agreed that “Let's Play” is a common term in the industry and it issued a strong rebuke of Sony's attempt to monopolize the term."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-01-11-sony-fails-to-secure-lets-play-trademark

Whosoever thought this was a good idea is in desperate need of a verbal depantsing.

Funniest attempt at a trademark I've read in a while, though. Thank flip it got denied, eh.

kitsuneyo

Yeah this isn't as big as people would think. It just means they can use the term for commercial use and they're protected.

Does it *just* mean that? Or does it also mean others can't use it commercially? In which case, why not? Sony didn't invent or popularise the phrase, so why should they be allowed any kind of ownership of it?

while this was stupid as fuck, its obvious that the next PS4 update is going to be geared towards expanding the consoles streaming capabilites.

Maybe spinning live from playstation into its own mobile app/website?

OfficerZap

Neo Member
Quick recap of Playstation tag lines over the years...

Live in your world, Play in ours.
Long Live Play.
Never Stop Playing.
The world is in Play.
Play beyond.
Download, Play, Connect.
Never stop Playing.
Push the boundaries of Play.
Where the greatest Play.
This is for the Players.

"Let's Play" fits right in here. It's pretty obvious it was splash damage rather than the pretty OTT "arrogant Sony" posts above.

For me this is a notch, or two, below attempting to trademark shock and awe.

On the surface it may fit with previous PS slogans, but they should not have gone ahead with the application because they must also have known it's a phrase which has already been coined, and is used by thousands of people the world over, and the harm it would do to them if they tried to horn in on it.

I think they've gotten away lightly in failing with the bid because, if they had succeeded, the backlash would have been many times worse than the piss taking.

Wulfram

Quick recap of Playstation tag lines over the years...

Long Live Play.
Never Stop Playing.
The world is in Play.
Play beyond.
Download, Play, Connect.
Never stop Playing.
Where the greatest Play.
This is for the Players.

"Let's Play" fits right in here. It's pretty obvious it was splash damage rather than the pretty OTT "arrogant Sony" posts above.

Extremely specific splash damage considering the trademark was for "Electronic transmission and streaming of video games"

geordiemp

Long Live Play.
Never Stop Playing.
The world is in Play.
Play beyond.
Download, Play, Connect.
Never stop Playing.
Where the greatest Play.
This is for the Players.

The Best Play Here
Play It Loud!
Who Are You?
Too Much Fun

The all in one entertainment system

Marketing phrases and the like, all the console makers do this bullshit from the marketing teams....does anybody really give a hoot ?

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Maybe try to trademark "lets fail" ?

Exactly. It makes a ton of sense.

m5EpZhL.png

Top Bottom