• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: Week 12, 2017 (Mar 20 - Mar 26)

Mr Swine

Banned
If only that was true when Vita launched :(

If Vita had some "real" support from Sony it would fare a lot better. Now with Switch you get BoTW, MK8D, SPlatoon 2, Minecraft and other games on it.

I have to say I'm happy that Switch is selling so well and I hope it continues to do so. Maybe it will reach to a million before summer starts if it sells at least 50k a week.

Also kinda impressed that 3DS is neck to neck with PS4 and sadly I don't think Vita will survive that much longer with that kind of hardware sales

Edit: I think that a GTA V for Switch would sell a lot seeing how it's in the top 20 for weeks end

L~A

Right, but why wasn't it there in previous weeks? It clearly should've charted at least once before.

It wasn't there because it didn't sell enough copies, simple as that. It sold 3 244 units this week, that's basically 1/3 of total sales.

Code:
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
|System |  This Week |  Last Week |  Last Year |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
+-------+------------+------------+------------+------------+------------+-------------+
| 3DS # |     39.359 |     42.279 |     31.099 |    399.078 |    390.442 |  22.559.823 |

Looks like the 3DS is back up YoY. Not by much, and not going to last much longer, but still interesting. With the right price drop, 2017 could see a pretty decent hold for the 3DS.

test_account

XP-39C²
From what I recall, Kimishima's actual statement was that he thinks it has the potential to reach "Wii-like sales," which then got mistranslated into "expects Wii-like sales," and then taken as Nintendo expects to sell 110 million units.

Like, I remember people going crazy over Serkan Toto's initial tweet about him expecting Wii-like sales before it later came out that it was a slight mistranslation and Kimishima's actual statement was a lot more tame.
I see. In that case, its a difference indeed. I will edit my previous post :) Wondering what they're expecting then. They did ramp up the production lately.

If Vita had some "real" support from Sony it would fare a lot better. Now with Switch you get BoTW, MK8D, SPlatoon 2, Minecraft and other games on it.

Sony first party games have never really been the titles to push hardware, and that was exactly the problem.

Tbh they kinda did all they could at launch anyway, giving it the only relevant IP they've got for Japan these days (Hot Shots Golf).

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It wasn't there because it didn't sell enough copies, simple as that. It sold 3 244 units this week, that's basically 1/3 of total sales.

Actually, it's not just that it sold around 1/3 of its total sales this week.

Famitsu

Week 9, Switch's debut

30./06. [PS4] The Witch and the Hundred Knights 2 # <RPG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2017.02.23} (¥7.200) - 2.728 / 18.437 <40-60%> (-83%)

Week 10

30./00. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.12.03} (¥2.400) - 2.307 / 189.677 <80-100%> (-5%)

Week 11

30./27. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition # <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.400) - 2.763 / 957.387 <80-100%> (+0%)

It actually had its best week at retail since the console's launch :p

Sony first party games have never really been the titles to push hardware, and that was exactly the problem.

Tbh they kinda did all they could at launch anyway, giving it the only relevant IP they've got for Japan these days (Hot Shots Golf).
The PSP worked though. I think it was the lack of major third party that did Vita in (and other factors, of course).

Fisico

True, I was thinking about worldwide numbers though, the Switch will have a hard time to sell more than the Wii on a world wide basis. As for Japan I think it has a good chance at reaching 3DS numbers, perhaps surpassing them by a good amount, we'll see.

Well we're in a japane sales thread so we mostly talk about japanese sales thus the confusion.

Wow fantastic week for Switch, Zelda and 1,2 Switch. I'm really impressed honestly.

Also Wildlands and Horizon are doing very well.

I have to say I'm happy that Switch is selling so well and I hope it continues to do so. Maybe it will reach to a million before summer starts if it sells at least 50k a week.

Also kinda impressed that 3DS is neck to neck with PS4 and sadly I don't think Vita will survive that much longer with that kind of hardware sales

Edit: I think that a GTA V for Switch would sell a lot seeing how it's in the top 20 for weeks end

More software support from Sony would had mean jack shit for Vita. Third party games are what sell PlayStation consoles. While games like Uncharted and Horizon are great games and sell also well it's constant stream of big third party games that sell PS4s. Sony gave Vita decent amount of support during first two years just to notice that hardware sales were crap from the beginning and all their software bombed and third parties were not there to rescue like with home consoles. Even in Japan without Minecraft Vita would have been dead already. Giving more support for Vita would had meant throwing money away (and less PS4 support and PS4 is far more important product). Even if by some miracle Vita had sold double the current LTD worldwide with more support Sony would had abandoned portables.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Vita had Sony support - but nobody cared.

I'm hoping Switch can hold 40-50k a week until Mario Kart 8 DX hits.

MHXX hold is better than I was expecting. It's got a chance of hitting about 2m LTD, unless MHXX Switch is announced very soon and cuts the legs off.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Actually, it's not just that it sold around 1/3 of its total sales this week.

Famitsu

Week 9, Switch's debut

30./06. [PS4] The Witch and the Hundred Knights 2 # <RPG> (Nippon Ichi Software) {2017.02.23} (¥7.200) - 2.728 / 18.437 <40-60%> (-83%)

Week 10

30./00. [PS4] Minecraft: PlayStation 4 Edition <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.12.03} (¥2.400) - 2.307 / 189.677 <80-100%> (-5%)

Week 11

30./27. [PSV] Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition # <ADV> (Sony Computer Entertainment) {2015.03.19} (¥2.400) - 2.763 / 957.387 <80-100%> (+0%)

It actually had its best week at retail since the console's launch :p

Moreover, adding a comparison with other digital games released on Nintendo platforms that saw retail codes on shelves

Kirby Fighters Z {2014.7.23}

Sales from Week 30, 2014 to Week 35, 2014 - Retail: 11,586 | Digital: 43,684 | Total: 55,270 | Retail share on overall sales: 21%

Pokèmon Battle Link! {2014.3.12}

Sales from Week 11, 2014 to Week 13, 2014 - Retail: 10,585 | Digital: 30,235 | Total: 40,820 | Retail share on overall sales: 26%

Great Detective Pikachu {2016.2.3}

Sales from Week 5 to Week 8 - Retail : 5.471 | Digital : 21.749 | Total : 27.220 | Retail share on overall sales: 20%

SnipperClips: Cut it Together! {2017.3.3}

Sales from Week 9, 2017 to Week 12, 2017 - Retail: 10,062

z0m3le

Banned
Switch selling on hype is good to see, if it can keep up for another month, Mario Kart should catch it.

First new portable Mario Kart in over 5 years, should have legs regardless of being a port with new features. Especially in Japan.

Splatoon in July? I don't think it matters when it hits, but I don't see it coming in July just because it's very rare to see a big release in that month, also announcements in June should help sell the console.

Lastly I wonder if Minecraft Switch will be the full featured Minecraft you get on ps4/xb1 and PC or if it will be a last gen port. Since bringing the current game to portable would be a feature upgrade from phones/vita and Wii U.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So next week we get our first retail Switch release in Japan since launch although I'm not expecting much if anything from it:
03/30 San Goku Shi 13 with Power-Up Kit

Then we have a break for about a month until these 2 titles:
04/20 Minna de Wai Wai! Spelunker
04/28 Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Fisico

Moreover, adding a comparison with other digital games released on Nintendo platforms that saw retail codes on shelves

Kirby Fighters Z {2014.7.23}

Sales from Week 30, 2014 to Week 35, 2014 - Retail: 11,586 | Digital: 43,684 | Total: 55,270 | Retail share on overall sales: 21%

Pokèmon Battle Link! {2014.3.12}

Sales from Week 11, 2014 to Week 12, 2014 - Retail: 10,585 | Digital: 30,235 | Total: 40,820 | Retail share on overall sales: 26%

SnipperClips: Cut it Together! {2017.3.3}

Sales from Week 9, 2017 to Week 12, 2017 - Retail: 10,062

February 2016
Detective Pikachu - Retail : 5.471 | Digital : 21.749 | Total : 27.220 | Retail share on overall sales: 20%

kunnikuman

Neo Member

I don't remember Sony giving Vita a game in Japan that is as relevant as Gran Turismo.

zeromcd73

February 2016
Detective Pikachu - Retail : 5.471 | Digital : 21.749 | Total : 27.220 | Retail share on overall sales: 20%
Whatever happened to this anyway? Wasn't it meant to be a multi episode thing with this ending on a big cliffhanger for episode 2?

A couple of more weeks should help alleviate the stock problems with the switch.

That is, until Mario Kart hits the shelves. I see many switch hopefuls waiting until something more than zelda is available.

I think we will costumers will be getting

Switch + Zelda + Mario Kart
Switch + Mario Kart

going on. Maybe a 1-2 switch drop?

Mario Kart and Zelda should be leggy games. Could carry until ARMS

Yep, and it's even supposed to get a movie next year. We haven't heard anything about the sequel in a long time.

Maybe Gamefreaks decide to launch Pokémon Star/Eclipse on 3DS and that Detective Pikachu 2 was the Pokémon game to come out on Switch all along. With a movie release like you said, they would need the game launching close to it.

LordKano

Maybe Gamefreaks decide to launch Pokémon Star/Eclipse on 3DS and that Detective Pikachu 2 was the Pokémon game to come out on Switch all along. With a movie release like you said, they would need the game launching close to it.

Can't tell if it is supposed to be sarcasm or not.

So how soon can the Switch hit 1 million hardware sales in Japan?

I feel those numbers are going to matter a lot next year when publishers are thinking about support

z0m3le

Banned
So how soon can the Switch hit 1 million hardware sales in Japan?

I feel those numbers are going to matter a lot next year when publishers are thinking about support

520K currently sold, if it can do 50k a week on average until Mk8D (4 weeks away) tbh I could see it happening by E3.

If you're buying a powerful handheld then Switch is probably what most are gonna be picking up now, even if Vita has more software.

Yep, it definitely looks like the Switch is pilfering the Vita's audience. Though there are titles announced through 2018, Switch success may accelerate the Vita's sunset.

I'm pleasnantly surprised by switch sales. Mario Kart should provide a good boost until Splatoon. I'm still interested in seeing how paid online affects Splatoon 2's community in the end.

JoeM86

Whatever happened to this anyway? Wasn't it meant to be a multi episode thing with this ending on a big cliffhanger for episode 2?

I ask that quite often.

My theory is that it has shifted to Switch

We actually datamined some details that would be in Parts 2 & 3 from the first one, but I'm not posting those due to spoilers

z0m3le

Banned
I'm pleasnantly surprised by switch sales. Mario Kart should provide a good boost until Splatoon. I'm still interested in seeing how paid online affects Splatoon 2's community in the end.

It is expected to be 2000 to 3000 yen a year? I'd venture to guess that it won't effect it much if it is a yearly purchase, at least not during this first year.

Mr Swine

Banned
I think most interesting to see is how well Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will perform since this is the first Mario Kart game that is a port and not a new game. That is if we don't include the VC MK games.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If the service launches with a classic, like Super Mario Kart online, I feel like people already hooked will pay. Plus they could give exclusive Splatoon gears for online subscribers, useable in LANs. The online fee isn't too big for fans.

L~A

We need a race to 1m between ps4 and switch.

Edit - ps4 took 46 weeks apparently.

hiska-kun already got you covered: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232974929&postcount=75

I ask that quite often.

My theory is that it has shifted to Switch

We actually datamined some details that would be in Parts 2 & 3 from the first one, but I'm not posting those due to spoilers

Yup. Plans definitely changed after the release of Episode 1, most likely because it didn't sell nearly as well as they'd expected. They probably decided to wait until all episodes were ready and release it at retail.

Just realised that Splatoon 2 is most definitely going to be the first game to get a Nintendo Switch bundle, at least in Japan (unless Nintendo surprise us with an ARMS bundle, but not likely in my opinion). Could totally see a Neon Green and Neon Pink bundle (using the main colour of the game), though I don't think there'll be any amiibo this time so as not to bump the price too much.

The Switch sales bodes well for Japanese third party support, especially those that supported the 3DS.

Well I think we have to realize that 3rd parties aren't looking at these sales for games already in development. Whatever games we see for the next year or so will have already been in development before the system launched.

Well I think we have to realize that 3rd parties aren't looking at these sales for games already in development. Whatever games we see for the next year or so will have already been in development before the system launched.

Yeah I know but I'm talking about future support. The 3DS and the Switch both doing well now should help alleviate some of the fears from Nintendo or by third parties on Nintendo hardware. We now have a real successor to the 3DS and the WiiU/Wii on our hands.

I don't remember Sony giving Vita a game in Japan that is as relevant as Gran Turismo.

PS3 Gran Turismo 5 410,486 / 729,637
PS3 Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds 175,750 / 712,779

PS3 Gran Turismo 6 187,640 / 376,432
PS3 Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational 86,912 / 265,447
PSV Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational 51,577 / 167,814

They look about the same to me.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
PS3 Gran Turismo 5 410,486 / 729,637
PS3 Hot Shots Golf: Out of Bounds 175,750 / 712,779

PS3 Gran Turismo 6 187,640 / 376,432
PS3 Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational 86,912 / 265,447
PSV Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational 51,577 / 167,814

They look about the same to me.

Hot shots golf has some insane legs. (Too bad no game bar Minecraft seems to have particularly great legs on the vita.)

Hot shots golf has some insane legs. (Too bad no game bar Minecraft seems to have particularly great legs on the vita.)

That's including budget re-releases btw, which is where Hot Shots seems to do well.

Those Vita numbers are out of date btw, had to use Japanltdrank for quick reference, here's what I've got it at from Media Create:

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational 2011 Sony 61,412 / 245,758

Of which 206,112 is original SKU; 39,646 is budget re-release.

It's one of the leggier games on the platform in any case, probably third behind Minecraft and Terraria.

But you're right, there's never really been any evergreen sellers on Vita until Minecraft. It really could've done with some in the first couple of years.

I think Nintendo might go a pretty smart route here. They basically can offer big free multiplayer games like Mario Kart, Arms, and Splatoon early on to get people hooked before adding the paid online aspect, many people will make the jump to continue playing online. Then they will have additional perks, that I hope they are working on from feedback they got during the initial announcement, to bolster enthusiasm. Then finally they can have another big online game like Pokémon or Smash to launch the platform with.

They might also have some benefit for early adopters like with 3DS.

Zedark

I think Nintendo might go a pretty smart route here. They basically can offer big free multiplayer games like Mario Kart, Arms, and Splatoon early on to get people hooked before adding the paid online aspect, many people will make the jump to continue playing online. Then they will have additional perks, that I hope they are working on from feedback they got during the initial announcement, to bolster enthusiasm. Then finally they can have another big online game like Pokémon or Smash to launch the platform with.

They might also have some benefit for early adopters like with 3DS.

Why would they do that? Weren't the 3DS perks because of the drastic price cut? Or is there a different instance where 3DS owners got special perks for owning one early?

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Yep, it definitely looks like the Switch is pilfering the Vita's audience. Though there are titles announced through 2018, Switch success may accelerate the Vita's sunset.

Vita was already declining in sales before the Switch launch. Apart from Minecraft, it just hasn't had much significant support to keep it going and Sony's actively been trying to move devs to PS4. So far is there really anything software-wise on Switch that appeals to a Vita audience? No Monster Hunter type games, no visual novels, no Minecraft (yet), no anime games, etc so far. The only cross-over I see is DQHeroes 1 & 2.

Why would they do that? Weren't the 3DS perks because of the drastic price cut? Or is there a different instance where 3DS owners got special perks for owning one early?

I think they have had other programs that lasted for a few months after launch, like additional Wii Points (or whatever they were called, on Wii U/Wii). I bet there is at least an extra game given out, or maybe a discount on the first year of service.

lyrick

I think they have had other programs that lasted for a few months after launch, like additional Wii Points (or whatever they were called, on Wii U/Wii). I bet there is at least an extra game given out, or maybe a discount on the first year of service.

I would fucking kill for another Deluxe Digital promotion (essentially 10% of the MSRP back even on promo redemptions) and 30 cent Virtual Console purchase promo.I guess they would be 35 cents now though.

Man, making this guess last week:
I kinda wonder if there'll be more consoles than games sold next week, due to people playing a demo that won't be on the list.

Turned out to hit the damned mark. As per MC:
Switch Games sold in the top 20 - 72,246
Switch consoles - 78,441

I know, trackers aren't 100% precise, we live in an age of digital, etc, but Splatoon 2 hype is real when it's selling consoles with nothing else on them.

Top Bottom