• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

TeaJay

I've been as much as a PC gamer than a console gamer my whole life. I played classic adventure games in the early 90's and games such as Warcraft / UFO (XCOM) a lot. At the time I had a NES too but not any other consoles, and the next one I got was the PS1.

Back when consoles started to feature 3D games (Gamecube/Xbox/PS2 era) I lost interest in console gaming for a good while until I discovered my childhood retro games again and bought myself some original NES games again. (nowadays I mostly rock with Everdrives, but that's a different story)

D.Lo

Got a new grail for a good price

0cye.jpg
Family photo!

Good lord man... thats worse than looking at a cracked screen. My condolences...

How did it happen? Moving?

Honestly, not sure, but probably, or just being in storage and getting the box containing it stepped on or otherwise beaten. The damage itself isn't a new discovery, I've know I've had a busted Dragon Force disc since at least 2005-6, but I could never bring myself to throw it away for whatever reason. I just found it when I was spring cleaning yesterday.

It's my original copy from 96, too.

Oh well, at least the gives me a legitimate excuse to have a backup.

Spladam

This is a catch-all thread. There's also the 90's PC Gaming Appreciation Thread. I'm sure people there wouldn't mind discussion of 80s stuff as well.

Yeah, that was the thread I was asking about, the one linked in blast processed's quote, thanks.
i played on the apple II E and commodore 64. G. I.Joe, karateka, beachhead II were awesome. on my friends Tandy, i watched him play Dexter all the time.

playing some megaman legends for the 1st time just finished the intro dungeon:
- airship reminds me of final fantasy.
- is Roll megaman's girlfriend?
-megaman is so messed up.
the airship has a malfunction and Barrell says he can't do it by himself and asks for help, Roll says i'm busy steering the ship. Megaman doesn't offer to help and they crash. what a guy!
-i'm at the Cardon Forest.

so far it seems pretty fun. the controls are manageable and works like a tank.
i think it's a good pickup.
I had a Tandy 1000SX after my hand-me-down C 64, I loved Karateka, it's one of the games I still have the 5.25 floppy from my childhood. To this day I've never beaten Thexder, despite many hours invested as a kid, but that opening title screen introduced me to Beethoven with it's haunting Moonlight Sonata scene.

Those days with that machine playing games like Ancient Art of War, the Sierra On-line games, Sub Logic's Jet and Flight Simulator, LHX Attack Chopper, the list goes on, those were the best days of my childhood before my family imploded, and I remember them fondly, so I'm rather attached to the early days of PC gaming. Through the ninety's I built a 486DX2 and then bought an off the shelf Pentium that I stuck a Voodoo in, but by that time console gaming was eating up more of my free time than PC gaming.

BTails

Yeah, I was probably more PC gaming until the Playstation era, when games like Final Fantasy VII and Metal Gear Solid took up all of my time.

We always had the most up to date PC in our computer room, and my dad was always "finding ways" of acquiring the newest games. I also had an Apple IIgs in my room personally, which allowed me to play all of the old Sierra Adventures, MacVentures, and other classics.

Peltz

I think we got my first PC in 2001 or so. And my first games were Sim City 2000 and You Don't Know Jack Volume 3.

YDKJ is very underrated by gamers in my opinion. Those games are awesome.

Just subscribed, but just wondering, does the thread cover PC games from the 80's or do we just not have a thread for them? I mean, besides this thread.
You can surely talk 80s. I just created that thread not really thinking anyone on here was old enough to go back that far.

This is a catch-all thread. There's also the 90's PC Gaming Appreciation Thread. I'm sure people there wouldn't mind discussion of 80s stuff as well.
That's the one I linked

Edit: lol didn't see your response

I think we got my first PC in 2001 or so. And my first games were Sim City 2000 and You Don't Know Jack Volume 3.

YDKJ is very underrated by gamers in my opinion. Those games are awesome.

I never played the PC version, but did download the iPad version. My family and I played it on a 2 hour trip one year. Was a good time.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
That guy is me.

There is an absolute assload of games in this cache and way too many for me to take pictures of individually so I just took a picture of the haul when I first got it a few months back. I'll put the Google link up to share the photos for anyone who wants to check it out:

https://goo.gl/photos/nRpyPJGHMTF1VE6L8

This isn't even close to the totality of what I got, it's just all the photos that were decent enough to be shared.

I took the pictures over a long period of time due to a move so they vary in lighting and quality.

This find is freaking amazing!

I had the Nes first, but then spent most of the 90s and early 00s with a PC. I had some consoles, but it was really the Wii who rekindled my love for easy action-games, 2D and in general, retro gaming. In between i played mostly hardcore strategy stuff like the Paradox-games, and once in a while some point&clicks.

Edit: But i dont really care much for contemporary PC-gaming or participate in discussion in it since the "PC Master Race"-people are just too annoying. These days its more or less all retro and some Nintendo for me.

I got a PC for the first time in 96 or 97 (Pentium 90, 1.19 gb HDD). I only really used it for Doom, later got into Diablo, Starcraft and Warcraft.

My step-dad would take me to this place outside of Seattle somewhat regularly called something like "Re-PC" which was a place to get used PC parts or recycle them. I remember seeing an Amiga and a PC running Linux with the Enlightenment window manager and thought it was the greatest thing ever.

That's basically why I stopped using Windows. I ended up getting my hands on a copy of Redhat Linux 6 and that was it. I never really played PC games again except for things with native Linux versions (like UT, Neverwinter Nights) or worked well in WINE.

I still haven't gotten an Amiga but I probably will before the year end.

Yes Boss!

I'm in my mid forties. I'd still rather talk PC in the 90s. We are still in the minority.

Not much interesting in the eighties, I feel. I know my only interaction with computers as a child was the Apple IIe in elementary school and odd Spectrum my European friends hand instead of an Atari.

My first time playing and beating Doom was on the XBLA port.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hi, can I just say that I'm excited for Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition? That's one of those games that's always been on my list to play, and it'll be cool to have a release with a bunch of quality of life improvements. The Infinity Engine was just an abomination, even if it did power some very highly-regarded games.

Hi, can I just say that I'm excited for Planescape Torment: Enhanced Edition? That's one of those games that's always been on my list to play, and it'll be cool to have a release with a bunch of quality of life improvements. The Infinity Engine was just an abomination, even if it did power some very highly-regarded games.
Planescape is such an amazing experience.. Jealous of anyone who is going to experience it for the first time.

break from old school PC talk:

got a few nes and wiiU titles in the mail and grabbed a copy of point blank CIB:
2Nr7LVwh.jpg

Daves quest for everything continues lol

Capitaine Toad is good fun and so is Rayman. I need to get another copy of Legends. Great pickups!!

I've posted it in the genesis thread but this thread is active too:

My genesis model 1 is making some horrible buzz/hum when no game music or sound is playing. This seems to be usually due to to a faulty power adapter. I use an original genesis 1 power adapter so it's probably shit the bed now.

Where can I find a good quality AC adapter for the genesis model 1 that won't cause any video or audio distortion? Buying old adapters seems like a bad idea but theres so many cheap "tomee" or "retrobit" companies out there selling what is probably junk too. Any suggestions?

D.Lo

Is that all master system?

And there's a box boy amiibo?
Famicom, there was only a port of DD1 to Mark III, which is the top right one. DD1 for both Famicom and Mark III are VERY expensive unless you get a good deal, I have been waiting years for a cheap one.

And yes it is a Qbby Amiibo in the background, it was next in line for a pickup photo lol. Nintendo Australia released a limited number on their ebay store.

Famicom, there was only a port of DD1 to Mark III, which is the top right one. DD1 for both Famicom and Mark III are VERY expensive unless you get a good deal, I have been waiting years for a cheap one.

And yes it is a Qbby Amiibo in the background, it was next in line for a pickup photo lol. Nintendo Australia released a limited number on their ebay store.

that's weird, I wonder if it just wasn't popular in japan? It's one of the best selling early NES titles in the US.

D.Lo

that's weird, I wonder if it just wasn't popular in japan? It's one of the best selling early NES titles in the US.
What part is weird?

EDIT: I should make clear that DD is expensive complete in box. The cart is cheap. Common for earlier Famicom games as people threw out the boxes more by the looks of it.

And in Japan, Kunio (also by Technos) was more popular.

Yes Boss!

My big beautiful JVC CRT made its way across the pacific and to the Arctic. Forgot just how absolutely gorgeous this TV is. Fwiw, I salvaged it from a dumpsters last year and my favorite of all my TVs (PVMs or otherwise). :)

And I can't fall any more in love with One's BC. So awesome to have all those classic 360 titles presented so slickly.

FE112CA3-D30B-4CD0-BC0D-0B894D0C44B4.jpg

Spladam

↑ Nice gaming setup Yes Boss!
You can surely talk 80s. I just created that thread not really thinking anyone on here was old enough to go back that far.
Lol, don't rub it in Blast, I feel old enough as it is. I get the feeling there are quite a few of us here that remember life before there was internet.
Some of us are in our forties ��
You're freaking ancient man. ;-) Preach.
El Capitan Todd es fantastico.
I was like, "that's funny, I think I just read it as Capitan Todd", nobody would reference that... continue scrolling down quickly....
Capitan Todd was fantastic.
Yeah, I read it right.
O7xgg7s.jpg
Jp3iblw.jpg

What part is weird?

EDIT: I should make clear that DD is expensive complete in box. The cart is cheap. Common for earlier Famicom games as people threw out the boxes more by the looks of it.

And in Japan, Kunio (also by Technos) was more popular.

I see. That makes sense, the box being rarer.

:( I always enjoy and then feel depressed seeing your constant pickups lol
why feel depressed? you joined the retro party and been picking stuff up lately =) nice recent hauls!
El Capitan Todd es fantastico.
lol
i picked up wonderful 101 thanks to you.
Daves quest for everything continues lol

Capitaine Toad is good fun and so is Rayman. I need to get another copy of Legends. Great pickups!!
thanks! can't touch your collection size yet. but i think wii U library size is manageable.
one of the cutest games ever
for 20 bucks, thought it was pretty good deal with an amiibo.
Capitan Todd was fantastic.
i was just reading the link to that thread. damn...
My big beautiful JVC CRT made its way across the pacific and to the Arctic. Forgot just how absolutely gorgeous this TV is. Fwiw, I salvaged it from a dumpsters last year and my favorite of all my TVs (PVMs or otherwise). :)

And I can't fall any more in love with One's BC. So awesome to have all those classic 360 titles presented so slickly.

FE112CA3-D30B-4CD0-BC0D-0B894D0C44B4.jpg
that's a nice side by side set up. must've cost a fortune to ship.
played some double dragon on your NES RGB, very beautiful =)
Ot5wTr0h.jpg

tmZ17ljh.jpg

xrlzTTLh.jpg

KC-Slater

I'm in my mid forties. I'd still rather talk PC in the 90s. We are still in the minority.

While I'm not as old as you folks, the only "gaming" PC I'd want is a P-II with dual Voodoo2 cards in SLI, haha. PCs were more interesting when their games felt decidedly different than console games, no just "better" iterations of them, IMHO.

Makes me a bit sad but glad it's getting use and love David!

I think about getting a avs console but at that price I'm ok with just a good emulator and scanline shaders..

One of these days I'll be tempted to show off my growing collection... I've got all sorts of editions of games for different consoles/PCs all the way back to the early 90s. Hundreds of games. It'll just be a huge day of effort to take a picture of it all though lol

Samuray

Has everyone in this thread realized that the new Mega Drive beat'em up is now available for preorder? Oh, and that it looks amazing? Hope so. :)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1353750&page=2

If you order a copy feel free to use my "10% off" code, 9871660 , as that would be most helpful in partially financing another copy for a friend of mine (who has no idea that this even exists :D).

I already asked this in the other thread but do you guys think the regional differences will concern only the artwork or the cartridge shape as well?

X68000 did arcade ports better(going by Battle of the Ports).

My copy of Final Fight is arcade perfect minus one sprite. Amiga's version is a mess.

I would love to get an Amiga. Amiga plus X68000 is the ultimate sixteen bit experience. I swear some days I wake up bitter that Intel is dominant instead of Motorola.

RAIDEN1

As I once said had the X68000 come out in the west it would have decimated the Amiga...it had the type of arcade ports the Amiga could only dream of, and that too with their respective tech's not being that far off from each other (Amiga launched in '85, X68000 '87)

Top Bottom