• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty |OT4| Everyone Else Would Beat Catspajamas

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Keikaku I have a question about the build. When do I want to get the tech lab and reactors up? I know the first one goes down right after I make my first marine but how about the other ones so that I can maximize my army size. Do I want 2 barracks making some at all times so that I can get a reactor or tech lab?

Keikaku

Keikaku I have a question about the build. When do I want to get the tech lab and reactors up? I know the first one goes down right after I make my first marine but how about the other ones so that I can maximize my army size. Do I want 2 barracks making some at all times so that I can get a reactor or tech lab?
I messed around with the build a bunch and the optimal time to make them always seems to be right after the barracks finish.

Reactors take 60 seconds to build but once you have one on a Rax, you only need to wait 1 minute to catch up and exceed the number of Marines you would have had on without one. Tech labs take less time to build but they're important because you want 2 upgrades going at the same time. Also, if you start Stim first, both upgrades should finish around the same time if you put down the Tech Labs immediately.

Tashi

I messed around with the build a bunch and the optimal time to make them always seems to be right after the barracks finish.

Reactors take 60 seconds to build but once you have one on a Rax, you only need to wait 1 minute to catch up and exceed the number of Marines you would have had on without one. Tech labs take less time to build but they're important because you want 2 upgrades going at the same time. Also, if you start Stim first, both upgrades should finish around the same time if you put down the Tech Labs immediately.

Got it, so right away. Thanks bro

jasonng

My opinion? Mess around with the addons yourself. One of my favorite advantages about Terran is the freedom of choice you have. It may seem trivial to be paying attention like addon timings but you'll be surprised on how these early decisions dictate your mid to late game. So mess around, have fun and figure out what feels comfortable to you. Ask yourself things like "If I get a reactor first, I can pump out more marines to better defend my wall off. But that means I'll be vulnerable to zealot heavy armies, I should get tech next and research stim while I'm at it."

Despite us shoving advice down your throat dont forgot that it's still a game. Have fun.

worse, human dirt ponies
I've pretty much become a parody. My only purpose in life is to troll you. You complete me.

Tashi

My opinion? Mess around with the addons yourself. One of my favorite advantages about Terran is the freedom of choice you have. It may seem trivial to be paying attention like addon timings but you'll be surprised on how these early decisions dictate your mid to late game. So mess around, have fun and figure out what feels comfortable to you. Ask yourself things like "If I get a reactor first, I can pump out more marines to better defend my wall off. But that means I'll be vulnerable to zealot heavy armies, I should get tech next and research stim while I'm at it."

Despite us shoving advice down your throat dont forgot that it's still a game. Have fun.

I do sometimes but I'm still trying to perfect this build. The creativity and stuff comes after that point when I try to figure out what to do when my first push doesn't work lol.

Rubashov

Thanks for the games earlier, Keikaku. Sorry I had to bail. Damn kids and their brittle bones always breaking.

If you or anyone else wants to spar in some 1v1s, I should be around.

Tntnnbltn

I know the lyrics to "I'm On G4" more than "Like A G6".

The original started playing on the radio and the different lyrics tripped me out.

Tashi

K I need help. I just lost to a Zerg player. This is what he did and then I'll say what I did.

He expanded real quick.
I thought, hey, he must not have a big army to defend against me, I had better push. Around I think 8 minutes, I push with a decent number of units with Stim. Maybe 15. Everything seems to be going smoothly. Then a few banelings come around and fuck my shit up.
So, I build my 2nd command center right away, double up on gas, build a factory and 2 Starports. My thinking was, let me go air. I have 4 barracks, 3 of which have reactor. I now have the extra shield too for the marines. All the while for the next 5-7 minutes, he's harassing with Mutas. I lost a bunch of SCV's. I managed to kill off a group, but he just kept coming around. My natural is going pretty well, getting some good minerals. His harassment is pretty effective each time. Took out 3 supply depots in one shot once. I bunker up in front of my natural, have a ton of marines, some hellions for shits and giggles and 4 medivacs. I think I dropped the ball on my starports. I was so distracted by the mutas and I was not getting much gas. I lift my main to move it to another place because it's just about dried up. Then he pushes up my front with mutas, broodlords, zerglings and banelings. Fucks my shit up real quick.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Don't feel too forced to do something about a zerg who fast expands. That race is supposed to fast expand 99% of the time against all match-ups. As soon as your first push failed, I can definitely see how the zerg felt safe and immediately took a third or even a fourth. Muta-harassing is very hard to deal with in lower leagues because dealing with mutas + macro can sometimes be hard. You said he almost one shots supply depots; then he must've spent a lot of resource on mutas so dealing with them with a bunch of missile turrets should've been a good solution (make sure to always have SCVs ready to repair the turrets)! If he wasn't magic-boxing his mutas, you could've easily demolished him with a thor up on your main (assuming that's where he harassed the most). As soon as the zerg keeps you contained with mutas, he can tech and expand to whatever he wants and that's exactly what this zerg did.

Tashi

Thanks. I guess I got a little jumpy because honestly that's the first Zerg I've seen expand that fast. I just watched that shit on GSL the other night man! lol bugged me out. And yea, for some reason I didn't even think to get Thors. I don't know. I just always felt like I was behind and he had a much bigger and more powerful army than mine. I also didn't know how I was going to deal with those fucking banelings. My micro isn't that good yet.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thanks. I guess I got a little jumpy because honestly that's the first Zerg I've seen expand that fast. I just watched that shit on GSL the other night man! lol bugged me out. And yea, for some reason I didn't even think to get Thors. I don't know. I just always felt like I was behind and he had a much bigger and more powerful army than mine. I also didn't know how I was going to deal with those fucking banelings. My micro isn't that good yet.
It's fully understandable! First push failed. Late expo. Everything getting muta-harassed. It's perfectly fine, just learn from your mistakes :)!

Tashi

It's fully understandable! First push failed. Late expo. Everything getting muta-harassed. It's perfectly fine, just learn from your mistakes :)!

I should have moved out with some units right? Get those mutas off my back?

Yoshichan

I should have moved out with some units right? Get those mutas off my back?
You can easily play "would've could've should've" in SC2, but it's super hard to really grasp the situation without a replay :)!

I also didn't know how I was going to deal with those fucking banelings. My micro isn't that good yet.

Just on this you could try doing the patrol move marine splitting. It works really well and is incredibly easy. It makes you feel like you can split like a pro with little effort.

There is an exlanation and a custom game to download and practice it on.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=206208

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=206136

Obiously your macro and what not is more important but it's a lot of fun being able to split like that against banes.

Tashi

Yea I've played that Micro or die game that puts some marines against banelings and I've done well against it in that simulation but I was just wasn't ready for it. Shit caught me off guard. Fuck man I would have won right there too.

Yoshichan

God, that felt good. I completely destroyed my Sensei-mouse and I don't think I've ever felt that good breaking something. Here's a good word of advice: Do not buy the piece of shit Steelseries Sensei mouse. It's literally the most inaccurate, defect accessory in PC-gaming history. I wouldn't buy it even for 5 dollars, let alone the 80 I payed for it. Ever since I came home from Dreamhack I've forced myself to like this shitty mouse but it's been a pain in the ass for every single minute. No, this has nothing to do with comfortability or that I'm not used to the mouse. A mouse is never supposed to bug out on you every 10 minutes. "But Yoshichan, are you telling me you trashed an expensive mouse just because it completely fucks you over once every 10 minutes?!" Yes, my good sir. Once every 10 minutes is one time too much, especially when you're playing SC2 and you're trying to control a BIO army with siege tanks against Broodlords, bling and ling. One fuck-up is more than enough to let A-move zergs to win easily.

Fuck you Steelseries, you fucking worthless company.

Holden

LOL

who buys 80$ mouses? oh wait most of the people

you know your mouse is bugging, its not EVERY mouse in the world bugging... should of got it replaced;;;

and i don't understand how my dirt cheap equipment last longer then yours;

Yoshichan

Haha, you know it's a garbage product when no one on my Facebook wants the mouse for free.

Yoshichan

V_Arnold

I have been using a 7$ genius "garbage-level" product for the last two years. It finally gave in, but it was comfortable to use, it was precise (for my level, anyway), and now, I went to the store and replaced it with exactly the same unit. Feels good.

Could have bought some more expensive stuff, but for what reason?

Yoshichan

Could have bought some more expensive stuff, but for what reason?
Indeed... Intelli mouse since 2003 (4?) ♥ I promise you, I'll never try and leave you again baby.

Yoshichan

Yoshichan

problem is i can't find anywhere to buy a new one, hopefully mine doesn't break ;[
Are you serious ._.? They're in every electronic shop (and heck, even in half the super markets in my town) :lol If you really can't find it then the best bet would be to buy it online :)

edit: unless you're one of those elitists that only wants the super rare white Intelli mouse :D

Holden

Are you serious ._.? They're in every electronic shop (and heck, even in half the super markets in my town) :lol If you really can't find it then the best bet would be to buy it online :)

edit: unless you're one of those elitists that only wants the super rare white Intelli mouse :D

wait the white one is rare?

i just want this
Microsoft%20IntelliMouse%20Optical.jpg

i don't give a fck about the color;;

Yoshichan

wait the white one is rare?

i just want this
Microsoft%20IntelliMouse%20Optical.jpg

i don't give a fck about the color;;
That's the white one and it's rare as living fuck (I have one but I'm never going to use it!)

The dark-gray one is super easy to find on the web :)

Holden

lol i use the white one, i bought it like 2-3 years ago (maybe more) wasn't that hard to find back then. But for some fucking reason i cant find on amazon france a the same fucking model of mouse even thow its grey or black or W.E

Yoshichan

lol i use the white one, i bought it like 2-3 years ago (maybe more) wasn't that hard to find back then. But for some fucking reason i cant find on amazon france a the same fucking model of mouse even thow its grey or black or W.E
Are you sure it's the white one and not the light gray color ;o?

Ecto311

I do sometimes but I'm still trying to perfect this build. The creativity and stuff comes after that point when I try to figure out what to do when my first push doesn't work lol.

Have you tried this audiobuild? I have used it a few times and it works well. Just the "ding" sounds make it a good tool to learn the build because you can tell when you miss workers.

I need some Starcraft friends! I have zero so post your sc names.

EctoPrime.561

Q8D3vil

i'd blame eg if i were you yoshi, especially idra :D

logitech g500 here and its really good but i want to buy deathadder because its awesome for starcraft 2

Deadman

From that interview: He wanted to postpone a match but nasl said no, so he had to miss it. Fined him $200 dollars, then he wasn't allowed to tell anyone or he would have been fined even more.

Nasl is terrible.

nilbog21

Banned
Lol I saw a vid with Ksharp using the microsoft 5button intellimouse to play CS:GO, so old school. problem however is that they break/begin to tweak out every 3-4 years.

speaking of which, anyone has a CS:GO beta on their account? From what I understand from Reddit there is a fix where I can play it from my account if I download it from yours...anyone willing? :)))))) i'll give sc2 lessons :)

zulfate

hola amigos, i just bought sc2 during black friday and man i have to say this game is damn stressful lol. when i played the first sc i dont ever remember being like this, it seems like even the beginners have seen a ton of pro matches and just know what to do. but i have won a game all on my own using brood lords. i think maybe my problem was going with zerg first with out any practice lol. but even the stressfulness of the game i still enjoy it and i am having fun with it.

anyways guys i would like to have some friends that are willing to group or play against a complete noob, my name is Zulfate on b.net ( the same as my gaf name, hint hint)

Holden

hola amigos, i just bought sc2 during black friday and man i have to say this game is damn stressful lol. when i played the first sc i dont ever remember being like this, it seems like even the beginners have seen a ton of pro matches and just know what to do. but i have won a game all on my own using brood lords. i think maybe my problem was going with zerg first with out any practice lol. but even the stressfulness of the game i still enjoy it and i am having fun with it.

anyways guys i would like to have some friends that are willing to group or play against a complete noob, my name is Zulfate on b.net ( the same as my gaf name, hint hint)

to give your name you need to add the character code ( hover over your avatar to see them)

Top Bottom