• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ's bankruptcy sale details: Auction on January 22nd, Will Allow Piecemeal Purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quentyn

If I'm going to make only one bet about this whole thing, I'm still going all in on EA ending up with Relic by the time this is over.

I feel they're the only company that is notably interested in an RTS developer, especially in Vancouver, if individual bids are being allowed.

Yea, there is also that DOTA clone that Relic is working on. EA could use something like that.

The way C&C is going though, I don´t know if we will see another retail game from Relic if EA ends up buying them. At least not a RTS.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yea, there is also that DOTA clone that Relic is working on. EA could use something like that.

The way C&C is going though, I don´t know if we will see another retail game from Relic if EA ends up buying them. At least not a RTS.

I kind of wonder about that in both directions since on the one hand they're clearly moving more toward f2p as a company, but on the other hand they still launch games like Sim City, and Company of Heroes for example is a much less damaged brand than C&C.

I do think at minimum it will be the end of the Warhammer games though, at least in terms of the license. They might take the concept though and rebrand it to another IP.

Kifimbo

Didn't thought about that DOTA clone. EA buying Relic makes more sense then.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
THQI: Walrath says that timing proposed by Clearlake is still not enough. Hearing this afternoon for use of cash collateral.

I'm sure EA is trying to get the WWE license first and foremost. Probably Saint's Row too. They want to be THE sports game company and WWE fits that needs.

sflufan

Banned
Considering how "well" EA treated the Warhammer fantasy license, there is little doubt in my mind that Games Workshop will reclaim the Warhammer 40K license from an EA-owned Relic at the first opportunity.

"Hey Creative Assembly, how do you feel about Space Marines?"

I can be wrong but I don't think WWE license belongs to THQ, with WWE reserving the right to revoke the license.

That is true, but couldn't they swoop in, get the license and buy it out from under THQ? I'm sure WWE wouldn't have a problem with this as they want to get their money anyway possible. Also isn't this kind of what happened to the UFC license?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That is true, but couldn't they swoop in, get the license and buy it out from under THQ? I'm sure WWE wouldn't have a problem with this as they want to get their money anyway possible. Also isn't this kind of what happened to the UFC license?
WWE wasn't mentioned in Jason Rubin's list of what Clearlake would be doing, so my guess is that even under the original plan that license was going away from THQ.

demidar

What does Relic have in its RTS-oriented portfolio that they could possibly want?

Well they've made Company of Heroes and the Dawn of War games. And Homeworld too but everyone's forgotten about that.

Dunno, SE buying SupCom is also super weird.

I am hoping that:
1. Everyone stays employed
2. The current games in development get released and are allowed to be the best they can be
3. They get to release one more game post current development to prove their worth to Next Gen Development.

Patryn

Is the WWE license even worth what it would cost to get it? Seems to me that one of the lessons of this recent generation is that licensed stuff is rarely worth it.

You could buy the assets that THQ created for WWE and the studios behind it.
That way you have the best chance of buying the licence and making a profit.

Anyone else will have to start from scratch without knowing if their developer can turn it into a profitable game. Less likely to bid high for the licence.

It fits EA anyway so it wouldn't surprise me if they tried to get it.

I think the main things worth buying will be the games currently in development.
They should all be safe as even if some pubs see it as doubtful to be much value, someone else can take it for the lower price. The market will even it all out.

People will lose jobs in this whole situation whatever happens, so don't not expect it.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
What does Relic have in its RTS-oriented portfolio that they could possibly want?

Well they know how to make good RTS games, and afaik Eidos lacks in that departement. Also they could try to go for the Warhammer IP and do another Space Marine game?

S1kkZ

is it possible microsoft will buy some of the thq studios and then use them for stuff like a new crackdown (vigil), relic for a new halo wars...

Dude Abides

Banned
For those interested, here is where you can find links to all the documents filed in the bankruptcy case, as well as news releases:

http://www.kccllc.net/thq

This way you can see the filings for yourself rather than relying on media accounts. You generally won't be able to see hearing transcripts until well after the hearing, though.

JoshHood

I could see EA picking up Volition/Red Faction, if only for the tech possibilities of combining Frostbite with GeoMod. Frostbite 2-powered Red Faction please :D

Glass Rebel

EA Relic would be a fucking tragedy. Almost any company would be, though. SEGA, judging by their handling of CA, would be one of the best but I guess they can't really compete with the likes of EA and Ubisoft...

Decado

I don't have a great deal of respect for Sega...but I wouldn't mind if they got Relic. They seem to have the right idea when dealing with Creative Assembly (i.e. they leave them alone).

Decado

Oh, what happens to all your steam purchases once THQ is dissolved? Time to download them all or will they still be available?

Reallink

The timing and Clearlake scenario reeked of good-ole-boy insider finagling to fleece shareholders and creditors. I'd personally love to see it blow up in their face and their friend's faces--with all the assets sold piecemeal to several different buyers.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The timing and Clearlake scenario reeked of good-ole-boy insider finagling to fleece shareholders and creditors. I'd personally love to see it blow up in their face and their friend's faces--with all the assets sold piecemeal to several different buyers.

That is looking more and more likely to happen.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I expect Warhammer RTS, StarCraft clone.

edit: Oh, duh, it already exists.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I expect Warhammer RTS, StarCraft clone.

edit: Oh, duh, it already exists.

Technically Generals 2 is also already heavily like StarCraft 2, especially with the changes they're making, so buying Relic would give them an RTT title along with their f2p MOBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom