• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOMA |OT| I Have No Mouth but I Will Scream, on The Dark Descent into A Machine

Not sure if I'll be buying this on PS4 or on my PC (would need to connect it to my TV...need dat comfy couch for this game). Either way, the reviews sound fantastic. I'm in!

Robiin

I'm a huge wuss when it comes to horror games. So easily scared. But I will try and persevere, the themes are so compelling to me. And I must support the Swedish gaming scene! Thankful to have Mario Maker around when I inevitably have to calm myself down!

I wonder if it fixes the issues TDD had (AMFP was trash, so that one doesn't matter). Danger zones were basically
- Everything is fine until music starts
- When music starts, hide until movie stops
- Repeat

Here.

Does the game have a musical cue to signify the presence of a nearby enemy?
When talking about the game's use of music and whether or not it signals danger to the player, Thomas Grip summarised Frictional's current approach as follows:

Enemies in SOMA are not as event-based as they were in Amnesia: The Dark Descent. In Amnesia, the "danger music" would activate and remain active while an enemy was present somewhere in the level, which eventually taught the player to recognise when they were safe. In SOMA, the enemies are more dynamic and may appear at different times for different players, so the music won't be as clear cut as it was in Amnesia.
The music will vary depending on several factors other than the mere presence of an enemy, including the current state of the enemy, whether or not the player has seen the enemy, and so on. Because of the variable nature of the musical cues, players might not even encounter an enemy regardless of what the music seems to be telling them.
Some enemies won't have any danger music attached to their behaviours at all, and sometimes danger music will be present in a level even where there are no encounters to be had. This serves to keep the player in a state of uncertainty and discomfort, and to circumvent the pattern-recognition which players became accustomed to in Amnesia.

Great FAQ. http://somainfoportal.weebly.com/general-faqs.html Also has European pricing info for those concerned about cost.

How much will the game cost?
The game is priced slightly differently depending on where you buy it. If you buy it from GOG, it will cost £19.39/€26.89/$29.99 USD. If you buy it from Steam, it will cost £22.99/€27.99/$29.99 USD. [10] The price of the PS4 version is $29.99 USD, but an exact price in different currencies is currently unknown.

so I see people are already streaming this on Twitch. if we got an early release code (or review code) and their embargo guidelines says nothing about streaming, should we be good to go to stream?

Mathieran

Banned
I plan to get this at some point but I've got Dying Light and Dark Souls 2 to get through and I think after these two games I might need something a little more relaxing. Looks awesome though!

komplanen

Nice OP but the transparent text images are a little too dark with the 'Dark Theme' option on NeoGAF.

Can't wait to get my hands on this game. I'm in the mood for a good atmospheric game.

Jb

I've been avoiding reviews to avoid getting spoiled on the themes and structure of the game but it seems like the early buzz is pretty good :) Great OP by the way!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
So excited. I can't wait to nope the hell out of this game.

rdytoroll

Damn after reading some reviews I'm not sure if I still should go with the PS4 version. There's talk of several-minutes long loading times, fps issues, game halting bugs and occasional short freezes while loading a new area.

I really should get a Wireless Controller so I can play on the couch with my Steam account.

Melchiah

Great OT. Looking forward to descend into the depths tomorrow.

Depending on the success of SOMA on console, have you given thought to making and releasing a Remaster of Amnesia: The Dark Descent and A Machine for Pigs?

We will look into it after release!

Here's to hoping!

Ugh don't know if I should buy it now or hope GMG starts selling keys for it. Super psyched for this, I've been waiting since the first teaser.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Went ahead and bought the game from GOG.

Can't play it right away, because I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my computer and still don't have my processor... but holy hell does this look good.

Uuuugh, do I want this game? Amnesia is imo the best game in the genre but I found it very emotionally taxing to play through. Not sure I'm in the mood to deal with a game as oppressive as that right now :eek:

Ooooh GOG version. Tempted.

Wonder if it will run on my HTPC. Its an onboard Intel GPU. The large screen would be nice. But the PC has better headphones and a proper GPU. Hmmmmm.

Vash63

Wonder if it will run on my HTPC. Its an onboard Intel GPU. The large screen would be nice. But the PC has better headphones and a proper GPU. Hmmmmm.

Headphones are always better for horror games. Though the low FPS on the Intel GPU may enhance the fear also.

Devs said this is their most optimized game yet
We can also confirm that the game seems to run smoothly on just about any computer we throw it at. If we lower the settings a bit, we can get it to run on integrated intel cards, an ultrabook, a mac book air and other not-very-beefy setups. It is without a doubt the best optimized game we have ever made.

JimmyJones

Banned
Holy shit why have I never heard about this? And its out tomorrow?! I will definitely be buying this!

Aaand that's it been pre-ordered :)

Devs said this is their most optimized game yet

Yeah. I will throw it at the HTPC first. I prefer the big screen TBH. If it starts gasping for air I will move to the PC.

I genuinely expect it to run ok TBH. The intel onboard card keeps surprising me on how well it does. I generally dont mind medium settings and 720p and it keeps on doing that on games I thought wouldnt run on that setup. Pretty much everything last gen is pretty playable.

Top Bottom