• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's causing Switch games to be 900p on docked mode instead of 1080p?

delete12345

The Switch is weak and the dock is just upping the clocks. They should have made the dock have a GPU inside or something to provide a better console experience. It feels very last gen when docked for the lack of a better term.

Blame Nvidia for their Tegra X1. That's their territory, not Nintendo.

30% is not miniscule.
44% more pixels if my math and is right.

Anyway, for those who are like,"Durr it's weaker than xbone and ps4," you totally missed the point. Of course the switch is weaker. Nobody is arguing otherwise, and differing resolutions between different consoles do happen where switch displays higher than xbone(leg city stories) but take hits in framerate and fidelity. I'm talking about resolution bottlenecks when handheld is specifically set to 720p, and docked games stopping at 900p, which makes me think bandwidth is the culprit since it doesn't scale proportionally to the cpu and you in power for ports. And yes devs do have the option of increasing fidelity and framerate over resolution. But this doesn't explain games like botw that could have been 1080p as the switch has more than enough you brunt for it, but it was held back by a bottlenecks, such as possibly bandwidth. That's my hunch at least.

900p seems to be the sweet spot between performance and visual presentation for Nintendo's implementation of the Tegra in the Switch. I'm honestly surprised that it performs as well as it does. Skyrim, for example, looks quite good.

Blame Nvidia for their Tegra X1. That's their territory, not Nintendo.

Really? Nintendo picked an almost 2 yr old off the shelf chip that they could get for cheap, added some more RAM, and then throttled it so it wouldn't overheat in the hardware shell they designed themselves and it's Nvidia's fault?

It’s fairly simple. Most people sit too far from the TV to even resolve 720p, and have cheap TVs with terrible motion algorithms to boot (not, I’m not talking about motion interpolation, it’s why a 60hz Samsung beats the pants off of a 120hz Vizio) which blur the image further.

A very tiny percentage sit 2ft or less from their screen like many hardcore gamers seem to. You should be sitting 5-6ft from a 1080p 60” tv. No closer, no farther. Closer and you start to see pixels (which is why people think 4k rendering has a point. It’s not actual detail they’re seeing, just the same stuffed into smaller spaces, stretched geometry and textures).

Nintendo made a console that is in terms of ability, Xbox 360 Pro. It’s 900p because that’s pretty much all it can manage, assuming it’s running Xbox 360 level complexity games (they put in better textures because it has 8x the RAM). That’s also why you see Doom crash and burn, because it doesn’t scale down nearly as well. Other games will be progressively worse as time goes on
Why troll?

Is 900p = 1600 x 900 resolution?

I sometimes use that for windowed mode Warriors All-Stars on my PC because I finds it easier to look at everything on the screen (hard to describe what I mean). And I'm on a 980Ti. I obviously wouldn't upscale it to fullscreen however.

I do think it's a shame most games on Switch can't hit a solid 60fps at native resolution (720p in portable mode, 1080p in docked mode) without resorting to dynamic resolutions and all that. The games look awfully blurry when the lower resolution kicks in, and it's incredibly distracting to me.

Would've been nice If they'd been able to release a slightly more powerful unit so this stuff wasn't necessary... Do you think they could release an update to the Switch, similair to the New 3DS, which would be able to run this year's games at a solid resolution?

coughlanio

I do think it's a shame most games on Switch can't hit a solid 60fps at native resolution (720p in portable mode, 1080p in docked mode) without resorting to dynamic resolutions and all that. The games look awfully blurry when the lower resolution kicks in, and it's incredibly distracting to me.

Would've been nice If they'd been able to release a slightly more powerful unit so this stuff wasn't necessary... Do you think they could release an update to the Switch, similair to the New 3DS, which would be able to run this year's games at a solid resolution?

Probably not without the games being patched. Games with dynamic resolution scaling would benefit from being able to run at their target resolution more often though.

I think we'll see a Switch XL/Pro at some point with a larger 900p or 1080p display in the same form factor with a more powerful iteration of Tegra which can run first generation Switch games in "docked" mode while portable.

DKPOWPOW

I've been pleasantly surprised by the graphics of Switch. I don't have a 4k TV either so that provably helps too.

Honestly though, the system just came out. Usually takes a little bit before developers really know the nitty gritty of the system and how to get the most from it. I expect whenever Retro shows their game it'll blow most the games we have so far outta the water.

Played some DK Tropical Freeze today and I was amazed at how good it still looks.

cuate

Banned
I've been pleasantly surprised by the graphics of Switch. I don't have a 4k TV either so that provably helps too.

Honestly though, the system just came out. Usually takes a little bit before developers really know the nitty gritty of the system and how to get the most from it. I expect whenever Retro shows their game it'll blow most the games we have so far outta the water.

Played some DK Tropical Freeze today and I was amazed at how good it still looks.

Without a doubt. Metroid Prime 3 shamed every other wii game in terms of visuals, and rivaled many on the other consoles. At silky smooth 60fps, no less, when a lot of ps360 games could barely maintain 30.
https://youtu.be/2u-7mZO69E8?t=30m42s

I never said I expect 60fps and 1080p for all switch games. And again, graphical fidelity is the third factor that must be balanced out.

That being said, I wonder how a pascal X2 switch would perform... 1.5x the GPU, 2X the RAM and Bandwidth(8GB and 58.4GB/s), and 1.5-2.0x the CPU(?). Zelda and Odyssey should easily hit 1080p with some improvements to framerate and fidelity. I can imagine Doom running at 60fps with slightly better fidelity(textures) at 720p locked maybe.

Its a handheld. Its 100 times smaller as your 4k tv.

Dont forget that the wiiu tablet was only 480p and i didn't dislike it.

This is a good question.

What do you prefer for Xbox1x?

-4k sometimes with slow framerate or downgrade effects for aaa games?
- 60fps locked but with half the res of 4k?
- next gen games because you want to be blown away but instead the game runs in 1080p.

For me it will definitely be option 3, because i want to be surprised. I don't want a game that looks slightly better but for the rest looks nothing new for me. I don't get why people are so hooked up on those small details instead of wants to go forwards and get even much better looking games like this:
https://youtu.be/oGvppTf5-b0

If you think about it, many are pushing 4k, even pc it's hard to push it.

There wouldn't be a next gen that isn't 4k. So think about it. When can we expect next gen that looks much better than Xbox1x and can play games in 60fps and 4k? Maybe in 7 years?

I'm happy with switch, if it can render 1080p, why not but if not, don't care. I'm happy it can play next gen games on a handheld and thats just amazing.

You should read the OP again because i think you didnt get it right. If the switch runs games in 720p undocked and is about 2x as powerful docked. Why cant it run them in 1080p then? I dont get what you are trying to explain with the XBOXOneX and 4k. Switch cant run Skyrim in 1080p because the XBOX One X cant run much more demanding games in native 4k? Doesnt really make sense. The XBOXX is like 4x as powerful as the XBOXOne and runs those games in 4x the resolution.

llien

Reasons are apparent, I thought, hardware isn't that powerful and devs preferred to add more eye candy to higher resolution with simpler graphics.

More watts to power the gpu at a higher speed when docked

Come on, how does that answer "why is resolution lower than 1080p while docked".

Rafus

900p is not bad, a bit falling behind when the rest of the industry is going forward with the resolution, but not bad for the great Nintendo game art style.
What's worse is the ugly aliasing that lowers the overall image quality of some of the games.

I still hope for the pascal improved Switch that'll give devs a little be more opportunities performancewise. But I'm quite satisfied with Switch's performance right now, since I haven't expected it to be a monster though.

DKPOWPOW

Without a doubt. Metroid Prime 3 shamed every other wii game in terms of visuals, and rivaled many on the other consoles. At silky smooth 60fps, no less, when a lot of ps360 games could barely maintain 30.
https://youtu.be/2u-7mZO69E8?t=30m42s

Yeah, Prime 3 still looks good to this day. Hell the whole trilogy does. I hope someday soon we get a HD remaster of the games. Be hard to do Prime 3 without the IR aiming, really made the game a cut above most FPS when it came to combat.

delete12345

Really? Nintendo picked an almost 2 yr old off the shelf chip that they could get for cheap, added some more RAM, and then throttled it so it wouldn't overheat in the hardware shell they designed themselves and it's Nvidia's fault?

It's the fault of the other person I quoted before you that wishes the GPU SoC is more powerful than it is. If they said they wished the hardware has this or that done, then they should just "go and blame" Nvidia for that, because a Tegra X1 is powerful as is right now. And it will stay this powerful until a new hardware revision appears.

not sure what the big deal is, do you even notice the difference between 900p and 1080p? it's clear that the underpowered-ness of the Switch is the reason why they have to lower the resolution sometimes.

I buy the argument that it’s a trade off for the console being portable, and honestly, that’s how I personally feel. I mostly use it handheld...but we’re not going down the “you can’t even see the difference!” road again, are we? Of course you can. There is a huge difference.

Shifty

The 2.25x power requirement only applies if you're talking about an identical scene. Switch games tend to swap out different LODs for meshes and effects when running docked in order to increase IQ, thus the compromise of 900p.

Bickle2

It uses a Tegra X1 not the older Tegra 1,2,3 series. If it used an X2 it would be close to Xbox One power.

No, it wouldn’t. In fact about half, at best. And don’t forget it would be downclocked as well, as these tests are under ideal circumstances, in a static, well cooled installation and not a portable. The other consoles measure FP32 operations, which is what is commonly used for games.

Switch is about 350GFLOPS real world FP32.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/08/22/parker-for-self-driving-cars/

Tegra 2 is 1.5tFLOPS FP16 operations, 0.75TFLOPS FP32, again, full clock, full power, properly cooled, running ideal and tuned benchmarking software.

Xbox One is 1.4TFLOPs FP32 operations, that would be 2.8TFLOPS FP16

Like I said, it’s basically Xbox 360 Pro. I don’t understand why, after Nintendo has spent over a decade shipping underpowered consoles a generation behind in ability, people think a portable, where design requirements mandate low power, low heat would change that

Nintendo Switch 3 could hit Xbox One levels of performance.

matthewuk

Your right on the Xbox 360 pro anology, I don't get why people say the switch is weak sauce when compared to the PS4. It's not ment to be PS4!.

For those saying it's weak I would look at the phone you have. Make the screen an inch bigger, turn your phone around 90 degrees and then tell me if it can run Doom?. I don't know of a phone on the market that can. If you want 1080p on a portable device buy a laptop. And you will definitely have to run off AC to actually play the game unless you only play games for 30mins at a time.

It's a shame because Switch games look like a builders backside on my 60" 4K TV. It's one of the main reasons putting me off from buying one.

It's a devs choice to compensate for weak hardware while keeping graphical effects high. The chip in the Switch is already 2 years old and even then slower compared to its original counterpart.

matthewuk

I think the smart thing to do is for Nintendo to do is for the switch XL or new switch to have higer clocks in respect to the lower power draw from a smaller process node. And maybe boost the CPU when docked speed without screwing game logic.

matthewuk

It's a devs choice to compensate for weak hardware while keeping graphical effects high. The chip in the Switch is already 2 years old and even then slower compared to its original counterpart.

As a console it is weak compared to PS4, but as a handheld console it's a big jump. The reason the clocks are slower besides optimising battery is that the nivida shield would throttle it's clocks down to about what the switch runs at anyway, so why waste the battery and have big frame rate jumps?

PrimeBeef

not sure what the big deal is, do you even notice the difference between 900p and 1080p? it's clear that the underpowered-ness of the Switch is the reason why they have to lower the resolution sometimes.
I dunno plenty of 900p games on Xbox1 and PS4 too.

rokkerkory

Reasons are apparent, I thought, hardware isn't that powerful and devs preferred to add more eye candy to higher resolution with simpler graphics.

Come on, how does that answer "why is resolution lower than 1080p while docked".

Yeah my bad i totally read the OP wrong lol

th4tguy

This is an on-going trend for both 1st and 3rd party games, particularly the more taxing games. Docked mode is 900p for many games, while portable is 720p. LoZ:Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey, Dragonball Xenoverse 2, and now Skyrim come to mind are only just a few examples that come to mind.

It's honestly a bit disappointing and embarrassing that Switch will more likely hit 900p than 1080p, despite the GPU in docked mode being 2.5x more powerful than portable, which from a GPU perspective should be more than enough(2.25x power is required to go from 720p to 1080p)

I'm assuming bandwidth is the main culprit here. I'm aware docked mode's bandwidth increase in docked isn't a 2.5x fold increase, but really marginal over portable. Just how much would be needed to render 1080p instead of 900p? I'm sure X2 pascal could do it, though even with double the bandwidth and RAM, and 1.5x the GPU (and CPU roughly?), the bandwidth is still abysmal.

Like you said, there are many other areas to consider for performance of a game. Main thing to keep in mind though. GPU usage doesn't scale linearly based off resolution. 2x resolution bump doesn't require 2x more from the gpu.

Bowl0l

Yup. Everyone should thank Nvidia. We will end up with a 480p Switch handheld if they used an AMD chip because of power consumption.

Bickle2

Your right on the Xbox 360 pro anology, I don't get why people say the switch is weak sauce when compared to the PS4. It's not ment to be PS4!.

For those saying it's weak I would look at the phone you have. Make the screen an inch bigger, turn your phone around 90 degrees and then tell me if it can run Doom?. I don't know of a phone on the market that can. If you want 1080p on a portable device buy a laptop. And you will definitely have to run off AC to actually play the game unless you only play games for 30mins at a time.

Well, there’s the rub though. Nintendo DOES consider it a console, not a portable, thought their plans are for it to merge their two customer sets. And they’re sellling it to that market at those price points. $500 (what it costs after you buy a game, memory card, case etcafter tax) puts it right up there with Xbox One X and the Pro in terms of cash outlay. And more importantly it also puts it in competition with the new phones and tablets the kids really want at that price. They do far better to cut the price to 199, and market it is the successors of the DS, But since portables are dying in the face of mobile, that’s not really a path to the future

NicknameMy

Neo Member
No, it wouldn’t. In fact about half, at best. And don’t forget it would be downclocked as well, as these tests are under ideal circumstances, in a static, well cooled installation and not a portable. The other consoles measure FP32 operations, which is what is commonly used for games.

Switch is about 350GFLOPS real world FP32.

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/08/22/parker-for-self-driving-cars/

Tegra 2 is 1.5tFLOPS FP16 operations, 0.75TFLOPS FP32, again, full clock, full power, properly cooled, running ideal and tuned benchmarking software.

Xbox One is 1.4TFLOPs FP32 operations, that would be 2.8TFLOPS FP16

Like I said, it’s basically Xbox 360 Pro. I don’t understand why, after Nintendo has spent over a decade shipping underpowered consoles a generation behind in ability, people think a portable, where design requirements mandate low power, low heat would change that

Nintendo Switch 3 could hit Xbox One levels of performance.

Please inform yourself first about what different architectures mean for the efficiency of TFlops and what a differnce in API can do. Tegra X2 doesn't need the same amount of TFlops to beat out the XBox One, as the API and newer architecture are way superior in using the Teraflops. Also NVidia is in general superior in that term.

Are people still arguing about power and cursing the console for that? Meanwhile 2 months in a row Nintendo accounts for 2/3 of the NA hardware sales and all of their big games are in a voting for GotY.

Bickle2

Please inform yourself first about what different architectures mean for the efficiency of TFlops and what a differnce in API can do. Tegra X2 doesn't need the same amount of TFlops to beat out the XBox One, as the API and newer architecture are way superior in using the Teraflops. Also NVidia is in general superior in that term.

Are people still arguing about power and cursing the console for that? Meanwhile 2 months in a row Nintendo accounts for 2/3 of the NA hardware sales and all of their big games are in a voting for GotY.

I’m well aware of efficiency factors. That’s why I used terms like “real world”, and “optimal”. The difference isn’t that great to overcome the raw issues.

Power is certainly a factor when it comes to the ability of third parties to port their games. The question was asked, this is the answer as to why they’re all lower res.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I think switch graphics compare very well to X1/PS4.
While playing mario Odyssey, zelda BOTW, Mario kart 8 Im not thinking Im playing on a vastly less powerful console compared to the ps4/x1.
It's pretty incredible really for such a small system.

It's still largely going to be the same problem we've seen in 2 previous generations. You'll have a Nintendo system that works fine for Nintendo's IP which don't push the graphical/performance bar and then you need a second console to play the rest if you care about third party games. We'll probably have a PS5 in 2019/20, and the Switch is less than half as powerful as an Xbox One. Is this system supposed to last 5-6 years? If it is it can't keep up, and I don't expect it to get much third party support for the larger games. If the Switch 2 has Xbox One level performance, then the issue will still persist. Nintendo may have backed themselves into a corner with the Switch. They may never be able to release a standalone home console again and the performance will always suffer for it.

NicknameMy

Neo Member
It's still largely going to be the same problem we've seen in 2 previous generations. You'll have a Nintendo system that works fine for Nintendo's IP which don't push the graphical/performance bar and then you need a second console to play the rest if you care about third party games. We'll probably have a PS5 in 2019/20, and the Switch is less than half as powerful as an Xbox One. Is this system supposed to last 5-6 years? If it is it can't keep up, and I don't expect it to get much third party support for the larger games. If the Switch 2 has Xbox One level performance, then the issue will still persist. Nintendo may have backed themselves into a corner with the Switch. They may never be able to release a standalone home console again and the performance will always suffer for it.

Developers go where they can find money, not power. If the Switch is selling well and has an audiance that buys their games, developers will release their games for the System. Look at Doom. Look at Wolvenstein II. Look at Skyrim Special Edition, look at L.A. Noire Remastered Edition.

The Switch currently even has people which double dip for games simply to play them portable. This alone makes it worth it at all cost to develop for the Switch.

In fact, if the Switch turns out to be the strongest console in the market, what would stop developers to just develop games on Switch-level and then just upscale it for the other versions? They would save development cost and have more income.

btrboyev

Considering a lot of Xbox One games only hit 900p, I don’t think it’s that bad. Also consider a lot of games are ports or most likely had their start on another system.

Developers go where they can find money, not power. If the Switch is selling well and has an audiance that buys their games, developers will release their games for the System. Look at Doom. Look at Wolvenstein II. Look at Skyrim Special Edition, look at L.A. Noire Remastered Edition.

The Switch currently even has people which double dip for games simply to play them portable. This alone makes it worth it at all cost to develop for the Switch.

In fact, if the Switch turns out to be the strongest console in the market, what would stop developers to just develop games on Switch-level and then just upscale it for the other versions? They would save development cost and have more income.

I remember all that great Wii software third parties were churning out.

NicknameMy

Neo Member
I remember all that great Wii software third parties were churning out.

The Wii had a different problem, the controllers were so unique that none of the big third party games could use their usual type of controls, this meant reinventing the controls of the game and made third party games on Wii less compelling than on other platforms. The Switch instead has the same features as all other controllers (except the analog shoulder buttons) plus other options as a bonus

Pasedo

Hybrid gaming is the future and the switch has basically reset the market away from super powerful graphics. With a low base start watch how excited people will get as they make incremental improvements in hybrid graphics which were conventional graphics many years prior. People are already wishing for it and as mobile gpu tech improves you will surely get it. Like others have said graphics today have reached diminishing returns and you can't excite and surprise people as much as you used to. Starting from a low base we've brought expectations back to 360/PS3 era. Personally I'm going to enjoy watching and playing games on hybrid as it goes through its graphical evolution. This reset is good for the industry as more companies join the hybrid revolution and with the sales success of switch thus far I bet hybrid will be the next big category in gaming and once again Nintendo continues to be the industry heroes. Which is why all the brands respect them because through their innovation they've kept the market thriving which has put more dollars in their pockets.

Astral Dog

GPU and Bandwith.
I believe the undocked Switch has a bandwith deficiency even compared to Wii U and thats why there are many sub native Switch games

Well, there's the rub though. Nintendo DOES consider it a console, not a portable, thought their plans are for it to merge their two customer sets. And they're sellling it to that market at those price points. $500 (what it costs after you buy a game, memory card, case etcafter tax) puts it right up there with Xbox One X and the Pro in terms of cash outlay. And more importantly it also puts it in competition with the new phones and tablets the kids really want at that price. They do far better to cut the price to 199, and market it is the successors of the DS, But since portables are dying in the face of mobile, that's not really a path to the future

Nice use of big words like "outlay" to distract from a bogus premise like somehow $300 becomes $400 or $500 when none of the console manufacturers include games with their 'premium' consoles, and the storage solutions are all equally shitty (but also equally cheap to alleviate) out of the gate. I didn't realize everyone buying a ps4 pro or X got them tax free either.

The only argument here is the Nintendo 'tax' on some games and that's a result of the market saying they're willing to pay it.

I don't know how you can begin to compare a switch to most of the smart phones kids/teens are running around with these days either. Another ridiculous comparison because all of the flagships are minimum $700 and as much as $1k.

Rereading the last two sentences you wrote, I can't tell if you're oblivious to fact you just contradicted yourself or trying to prove some point about Nintendo's fate being sealed.

Astral Dog

I can definitely see it on games like zelda and xenoverse 2. It's not the biggest deal, but 1080p is the more natural jump when Nintendo has the grunt to take care of it from the GPU side.
When they decided to make an hybrid, some sacrifices had to be made. You can't expect higher resolutions than an Xbone when its 3x-4 the capability.nice to see a few games making the jump but thats not gonna be the standard

I think docked Switch stands its own for what it is, but is quickly going to get behind the companies need to market 4k TVs. Mario ODYSSEY looks quite nice on my 720p tv than the 1080.

When they decided to make an hybrid, some sacrifices had to be made. You can't expect higher resolutions than an Xbone when its 3x-4 the capability.nice to see a few games making the jump but thats not gonna be the standard

I think docked Switch stands its own for what it is, but is quickly going to get behind the companies need to market 4k TVs. Mario ODYSSEY looks quite nice on my 720p tv than the 1080.
higher resolutions?
Legocity Stories say hi. 1080p resolution was possible on consoles since last generation. It's not just resolution but framerate and fidelity that are factored and balanced, and used under discretion by devs.

Astral Dog

higher resolutions?
Legocity Stories say hi. 1080p resolution was possible on consoles since last generation. It's not just resolution but framerate and fidelity that are factored and balanced, and used under discretion by devs.
And how does LegoCity look compared to your average PS4 or Xbox One game :3

i didn't say it was impossible.just a matter of obtimization and balance.

FEW for example has a 30 fps/1080p or 60/720p mode, but not every game is going to be that optimuzed (plus FEWarriors looks ugly)

Top Bottom