• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oculus Rift and Touch Thread: I need something more

kinggroin

Banned
I was looking at that yesterday. If you pick it up, let me know how it is.

I have it. Play it sitting down with a steam or 360 controller. The game is a great mix of strategy and manual- controlled dogfighting.

You basically traverse a star map, each with various objectives (some mandatory, some not).

When you start a new mission, the default view is God mode. Basically, you see a miniature of the "battlefield" along with all the ships (good and bad) traveling around on CPU controlled paths. Kind of like auto battle.

From here, you can pick any ship in your fleet and give commands (like any RTS) and watch the battle play out in front of you. Of course, you also have the option to take control of them as well. Doing so shrinks you down to the size of the pilot and you're thrusted right into the mix with full control of your ship. Each ship with different capabilities (and upgrades after each mission).

There's a little more but that covers the gist of it. The game is dope.

I have it. Play it sitting down with a steam or 360 controller. The game is a great mix of strategy and manual- controlled dogfighting.

You basically traverse a star map, each with various objectives (some mandatory, some not).

When you start a new mission, the default view is God mode. Basically, you see a miniature of the "battlefield" along with all the ships (good and bad) traveling around on CPU controlled paths. Kind of like auto battle.

From here, you can pick any ship in your fleet and give commands (like any RTS) and watch the battle play out in front of you. Of course, you also have the option to take control of them as well. Doing so shrinks you down to the size of the pilot and you're thrusted right into the mix with full control of your ship. Each ship with different capabilities (and upgrades after each mission).

Cool, it sounds good.

I have Elite and Valkyrie already, but Elite is super open and crazy and Valkyrie is so simple and MP focused. I wanted to get something that's sp focused and smaller missions.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

I will have to give it a go!

My Touch controllers are out for delivery. Today my Oculus will be complete!

Steam sale highlights (prices USD):

Touch required:
The Art of Fight - 30% off - $12.59
Audioshield - 25% off - $14.99
Onward - 20% off - $19.99
QuiVr - 20% off - $15.99
Raw Data - 20% off - $31.99
Smashbox Arena - 20% off - $23.99
Space Pirate Trainer - 25% off - $11.24
Table Top Simulator - 50% off - $9.99

Touch or gamepad:
New Retro Arcade: Neon - 15% off - $16.99
The Solus Project - 50% off - $9.99
Thumper - 20% off - $15.99
Titans of Space 2.0 - 38% off - $4.95
Windlands - 35% off - $12.99

Gamepad:
DiRT Rally - 60% off - $23.99
Elite Dangerous - 33% off - $20.09
House of the Dying Sun - 35% off - $12.99
Redout: Enhanced Edition - 25% off - $26.24
Subnautica - 50% off - $9.99

Can you play raw data on the rift/touch though? Only shows as Vive on the steam page.

So after a dozen emails back and forth about my Touch tracking issues, including sending a video of it, multiple pictures of the interiors of the controllers and serial numbers of the boxes, I'm at the point where Oculus support told me "we'll get back to you."

I don't like where this is going.

Sounds great! I think I'll get it too. Does it have HOTAS support?

Is Fantastic Contraption worth it for $24.99? It's yesterday's Oculus Daily deal and expiring in an hour.

No.

IMO, Fantastic Contraption is a game that sounds great on paper, but isn't actually fun in practice. The actual process of building stuff—physically moving sticks and balls, angling them correctly, etc—is laborious and boring.

jim2011

No.

IMO, Fantastic Contraption is a game that's sounds great on paper, but isn't actually fun in practice. The actual process of building stuff—physically moving sticks and balls, angling them correctly, etc—is laborious and boring.

Thanks for the impressions! I will pass on it.

I just got House of the Dying Sun as well, so far I really like it. How does this somehow look better than Eve: Valkyrie even though a lot of the stuff isn't even textured? It just looks very clean in comparison.

Zalusithix

I just got House of the Dying Sun as well, so far I really like it. How does this somehow look better than Eve: Valkyrie even though a lot of the stuff isn't even textured? It just looks very clean in comparison.
A simple clean aesthetic can do wonders to make a VR game look good. The style mitigates the weaknesses of current gen VR well.

I don't think it has it natively, but I've heard people have been able to set it up manually. The game is pretty arcadey though (in a good way) and I'd argue feels a bit better with a controller.

Yeah, it's not a sim type game in the least and is designed around having a normal controller.

CzarTim

I got my Rift a couple of days ago, and have been really enjoying it. My Touch controllers are getting here next week, so I've been going through some of the gamepad games.

Project Cars - I'm not a big fan of racing games, and really just got this to try it out. But man this ended up being my favorite VR experience so far. Feels so real, and a very chill game. It's the one I find myself wanting to go back to.

Valkyrie - I was a bit disappointed with this at first, but once I unlocked more ships and gameplay modes it started to really click. Lot's of fun.

Eagle Flight - This was a really intriguing concept to me, so I picked it up. The singleplayer stuff is ok, but no one is playing mp, which is what I wanted to try. I am kicking myself for getting this on Oculus and not Steam as I would have likely refunded it and picked it up again when it was much cheaper. Bummed about this one even though the game seems cool.

As an aside, devs really need to let you play singleplayer while queueing for multiplayer. Looking at a spinning wheel and not being able to alt - tab is frustrating.

Lucky's Tale - I'll confess that before I played this I was baffled as to why this was a VR game and why Oculus would spend money on it instead of a 'real' VR experience. Boy was I wrong. This game is great. Like being inside a Dreamworks movie.

Virtual Desktop - Not a game, but this seems like such a no brainer that I really wish it was baked into Oculus so I could launch it while another game is loaded. Much easier than taking on and off the headset.

I loaded up Elite, but really need to set up my HOTAS before I dive in.

Virtual Desktop - Not a game, but this seems like such a no brainer that I really wish it was baked into Oculus so I could launch it while another game is loaded. Much easier than taking on and off the headset.

Assign it to a hotkey that you can find while your headset's on.

I have access to a Rift, Touch, and a GTX1080 over the holidays. It's my first extended exposure to VR, so time to catch up.

What are the must-trys? I'm particularly interested in seeing if I can feel immersion and presence. I'm also interested in testing my barf resistance. So far I've run around Solus Project at 100% speed with smooth turning and didn't feel a thing. Definitely gonna try Serious Sam First Encounter.

Price isn't an issue. I'm also curious about standalone demos/experiences that predate the recent shift to the Steam / Oculus stores. (As a Doom fan GZ3Doom will be a must. Also curious about Dolphin VR.)

Wonder how many of those early DK1/2 demos still work on the current Rift/SDK/drivers.

Wonder how many of those early DK1/2 demos still work on the current Rift/SDK/drivers.
None will as they existed then, since newer drivers broke compatibility with things compiled for the really old versions. Not sure how many now exist in updated form, beyond a few that have evolved into something found on one of the stores, like Don't Let Go.

I'm also interested in testing my barf resistance. So far I've run around Solus Project at 100% speed with smooth turning and didn't feel a thing. Definitely gonna try Serious Sam First Encounter.
If you want to test your VR legs, Adrift is supposed to be a pretty intense one. Also maybe Minecraft (though the GearVR version is worse for that).

Oh, and Superhot is one of the best VR games available, but it's definitely not a game designed to feel immersion.

I was wondering why no one was talking about the daily deals...Then I saw that they are Ocean Rift and HoloBall and I understood why.

It hits back to your available space, but it doesn't send it back to the same spot every time. It's basically virtual racket ball.

Yeah, the video just makes it seem kinda lame when you are hitting the ball to 9 different sectors, then it just hits back to bottom middle everytime. Im sure its fun to play, just like any ping pong, or whatever game, but the video didnt make it seem that exiting.

Rad art style though.

Virtual racquetball actually makes it sound awesome. I might grab it, haha.

Ha-ha. VR nausea is real.

A half hour of Serious Sam and then 10 minutes of Windlands got me feeling a bit discombobulated.

Closest I got to "presence" was the massive blue whale in the one Oculus Store undersea demo. I think mostly the screen is too grainy for me to feel like I'm elsewhere, at least so far.

Ha-ha. VR nausea is real.

A half hour of Serious Sam and then 10 minutes of Windlands got me feeling a bit discombobulated.

Just a warning, at that point you should just take a break from VR. You can't "power through" VR sickness, it just gets worse and worse, and then takes longer to go away.

trs1080

Neo Member
Just tried Holoball, it's a pretty good one of those VR pong/racquetball things. First time I actually hurt my finger in VR when I hit my desk haha. I don't know if they mention this, but the trigger will bring "dead" balls to you with a tractor beam.

Also one thing I'm appreciating with some of these VR games is they take me out of my usual sedentary gaming lifestyle. Not going to get swole or anything, but at least it gets me up and moving around and (something I didn't find when I used to go to a gym) having fun at the same time!

Other than Holoball I picked up Doom 3 BFG (didn't try it in VR yet), Final Approach, which I played for a bit and seems neat and cute, and that Ghost Town Mine thing which I haven't tried yet. And some Project Cars DLC which I've been having fun with since I got a Thrustmaster T300 RS for $200 on black friday.

I basically went from using the Rift every so often before Touch to using it almost daily. Good stuff.

As a big Audiosurf fan I took the opportunity to buy Audioshield, which is pretty fun so far, if a bit straight forward with what feel like beta menus.

Playing Black Sheep by Metric really makes you feel fantastic when you're the punching the beats. Love that song.

trs1080

Neo Member
I don't see how Rift was that appealing before Touch. Motion control feels essential to high-end VR.

That's true, but it's the one I pre-ordered :/ so I was stuck with it. There was some good stuff before like Blazerush and Damaged Core, even Defense Grid 2 was cool, but yeah having Touch is a whole other level.

Also my 3rd sensor order was pushed back, seems a lot of demand there. I have a small room and roomscale /mostly/ works with one in back left corner + right middle wall, but looking forward to having more vision on the controllers.

I heard Touch doesn't work that well with Raw Data, can anyone confirm this?
I bought it after getting my Touch and immediately refunded it. The guns are at totally the wrong angle since it assumes you're holding a Vive controller, and there's no way to manually adjust it. Makes the game feel terrible.

I don't see how Rift was that appealing before Touch. Motion control feels essential to high-end VR.
A steady stream of high quality controller games helped, but for me it was Elite Dangerous that gave it legs after the initial launch excitement. Touch obviously completes the package.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

The only games in VR that make sense for a regular gamepad are Thumper, driving games, and flying games. I've got both headsets and use the Rift for games that require a regular gamepad.

Because there are a lot of awesome games that wouldn't be improved by motion controls. Like Chronos - it's a third-person action-rpg, one of my favorite Rift games, motion controls in that would just be gimmicky. Or Blaze-Rush, isometric racing game feels like battling with actual toy cars. Or The Climb, it's just as fun and actually more immersive with gamepad controls. There are a lot of great VR games made for gamepad, Touch just enables some new genres.

The only games in VR that make sense for a regular gamepad are Thumper, driving games, and flying games. I've got both headsets and use the Rift for games that require a regular gamepad.

I disagree strongly. VR with regular controls can enhance plenty of genres, some of which we've barely seen experimented with so far. Just look at games like Lucky's Tale or the ones Dreamwriter mentioned. I expect genres like RTS, management (imagine The Sims in VR!), third-person action adventures, and so on could benefit a lot from properly implemented VR. Most of these genres require more development resources than developers maybe feel that they can get away with at the moment though, and they might be going for more "obvious" VR experiences in the early days. Expect a large variety of genres for all kinds of controllers in VR as the platform matures.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I disagree strongly. VR with regular controls can enhance plenty of genres, some of which we've barely seen experimented with so far. Just look at games like Lucky's Tale or the ones Dreamwriter mentioned. I expect genres like RTS, management (imagine The Sims in VR!), third-person action adventures, and so on could benefit a lot from properly implemented VR. Most of these genres require more development resources than developers maybe feel that they can get away with at the moment though, and they might be going for more "obvious" VR experiences in the early days. Expect a large variety of genres for all kinds of controllers in VR as the platform matures.

Lucky's Tale was rough for me. The camera movements were awful for my stomach so I don't think I'm in on any more 3rd person VR games for a while.

I image RTS games would make more sense when you can actually point to where you want your units to deploy to.

I agree the controllers for VR have not finalized but unless the games require a seated experience, I don't know why a stands controller like the XBone one would be preferable.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Lucky's Tale was rough for me. The camera movements were awful for my stomach so I don't think I'm in on any more 3rd person VR games for a while.

I image RTS games would make more sense when you can actually point to where you want your units to deploy to.

I agree the controllers for VR have not finalized but unless the games require a seated experience, I don't know why a stands controller like the XBone one would be preferable.
Airmech Command is a great action RTS.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Chronos is a fantastic controller-based VR game that won't make you sick.

I don't know that I want any more sit down VR games just yet. The biggest thing for me with VR is being able to move 1-to-1. Being seated for games that arent driving or flying aren't high on my priority list. If I'm going to be running around slashing things, I want that to be me. I don't want to be the overhead camera.

Lucky's Tale was okay but it ultimately turned me off from third person perspective games. I would say it did more harm in my interest for VR than anything else so far.

I thought this would be just another pointless 2D game with VR slapped on...but this game is AMAZING--get it and love it. Really excellent job here with the feeling of presence and immersion that will really suck you in. There is simple yet gratifying upgrade mechanic that really is unique and unlike anything I've seen. Plus it is tough with a great deal of content that will satisfy those that have moved beyond tech demos, or those that want a break from the touch controllers (which are a MUST have, btw). Guys, get the game, its brillant and on sale...DO IT!

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Holy shit, how the hell was SuperHot VR no considered for game of the year? I still haven't finished it but I'm getting Portal vibes so far. there were so many "wtf I can do that???" Lol

Just incredible

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Steam sale highlights (prices USD):

Touch required:
The Art of Fight - 30% off - $12.59
Audioshield - 25% off - $14.99
Onward - 20% off - $19.99
QuiVr - 20% off - $15.99
Raw Data - 20% off - $31.99
Smashbox Arena - 20% off - $23.99
Space Pirate Trainer - 25% off - $11.24
Table Top Simulator - 50% off - $9.99

Touch or gamepad:
New Retro Arcade: Neon - 15% off - $16.99
The Solus Project - 50% off - $9.99
Thumper - 20% off - $15.99
Titans of Space 2.0 - 38% off - $4.95
Windlands - 35% off - $12.99

Gamepad:
DiRT Rally - 60% off - $23.99
Elite Dangerous - 33% off - $20.09
House of the Dying Sun - 35% off - $12.99
Redout: Enhanced Edition - 25% off - $26.24
Subnautica - 50% off - $9.99

Thanks. Definitely grabbing Audioshield and SPT.

Any impressions on The Art of the Fight?

Tain

I don't know that I want any more sit down VR games just yet. The biggest thing for me with VR is being able to move 1-to-1. Being seated for games that arent driving or flying aren't high on my priority list. If I'm going to be running around slashing things, I want that to be me. I don't want to be the overhead camera.

Lucky's Tale was okay but it ultimately turned me off from third person perspective games. I would say it did more harm in my interest for VR than anything else so far.

I get the desire for and the prioritization of that, definitely skip it if it doesn't sound appealing, but with current technology we can't make a game like Chronos convincingly with room-scale controls. It's a distinct type of game that justifies gamepad use every bit as much as a flight sim or driving game, is what I'm getting at.

Top Bottom