• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Conservatives defend Mike Pence not interacting with women cause they might have sex

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZOONAMI

I think calling it "fucked up" is a bit extreme. He obviously doesn't want to put himself in a certain situation out of respect for his values. He isn't hurting anyone in this case so I think the outrage is a bit over the top. What's an example of a scenario where he can't get something done unless it's over a one on one dinner with another female?

If he holds 1:1 meetings with male counterparts and not females it demonstrates he doesn't consider them a counterpart, and it is harmful to the person he won't meet with 1:1. If you can't see how someone would be personally offended to essentially be devalued to a sexual object then I don't know what to tell you

This reminds of me that "hillbilly-pop" (I don't know what to call that bullshit) song about that guy saying he shouldn't drink anymore because then he'll cheat on his girl.

"Oh no, honey, I'm good
I could have another but I probably should not
I got somebody at home and if I stay I might not leave alone"

I mean as a guy, I'm kind of offended. Have some self control.

Part of that self control can be not getting into a situation where your self control is inhibited.

This is a total case of making an issue where there is none. The guy has his own boundaries and what he's comfortable with.

Also relevant. Knew that would be the video.

If he holds 1:1 meetings with male counterparts and not females it demonstrates he doesn't consider them a counterpart, and it is harmful to the person he won't meet with 1:1. If you can't see how someone would be personally offended to essentially be devalued to a sexual object then I don't know what to tell you

Yeah, in his case it's a bit different. Making a very public distinction like that seems odd.

Now let's see a woman rise to the position of VP while never being alone with a man.

What's that? It would be impossible? So that would make this some hypocritical, sexist bullshit? That's not the Republican party I know.

HvySky

I wouldn't categorise myself as a conservative but I can't agree with your statement. If you're in a relationship I don't see why you would want to be spending leisure time alone with a person of the opposite gender. It just seems inappropriate to me. Like I said people have their own boundaries.

So you're saying you don't have any friends of the opposite sex? Or rather if you ever find yourself in a relationship, any friends of the opposite sex you might have had you can no longer be around?

Just another reminder that evangelicals are like every other batshit insane extremist religious group that segregates the sexes because "Men can't control their urges." and "Women might get ideas."

rataven

I wouldn't categorise myself as a conservative but I can't agree with your statement. If you're in a relationship I don't see why you would want to be spending leisure time alone with a person of the opposite gender. It just seems inappropriate to me. Like I said people have their own boundaries.

Um, because you're friends and have things in common with them?? I have several great guy friends that I've bonded with, primarily over video games. And I am not the least bit interested in any of them in a sexual way, and I'm pretty sure they aren't with me either. We all have relationships and those relationships remain very much intact. And they have for years.

mike6467

I've had girlfriends who'd gotten screwed in the past who were uncomfortable with the dinners our vendors would take us on that didn't include them. I valued the relationship and respected their feelings in these cases and didn't put myself in those situations. It's hardly a religious thing.

Even if that's puts into question the quality of trust in a relationship, this isn't the hill I'd want to die on. There are more then enough things Pence deserves to be scrutinized for that don't fall into a grey area or require speculation. Eye on the prize, keep things in perspective.

ZOONAMI

I guess I'm starting to understand this thread.

Yuuuuuuuuup.

Here's the thing, he would be less of a dick if he came out and said, yes literally any 1:1 meeting with a woman I potentially might be attracted to that woman, but I am able to move past that base desire and meet with them and be respectful and get work done without being unfaithful to my wife.

This BS is straight nuts. It's basically saying I'm so much of an asshole I can't even be an adult and have a meeting with a woman unless I have a babysitter in the room with me (Pence is admitting he is the baby and is such an asshole he can't move past potentially being attracted to someone because all he can see them is an object of sexual desire and he is too afraid he will fuck up his marriage).

It's ridiculous.

Mathieran

Banned
I don't understand how these guys' marriages are so weak they would potentially cheat on their wife if given the opportunity. It's pathetic.

If my wife wasn't comfortable with me spending time along with my friends who are women we would have a problem and vice versa. I don't even have any guy friends really and I never have. I've had many platonic friendships with women over the years. If you think that's not possible you have a problem.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Imagine if we had a female VP (we came close with Sarah Palin) and she said she wasn't comfortable meeting with men one-on-one.

I'd have a problem with someone being one heartbeat away from the presidency saying she couldn't interact privately with most world and business leaders, or senior staff.

McLovin

Sounds like he wants to fuck any and all women around him so he put in safeguards. This is a huge red flag imo, he must have done some shit in the past lol.

Kthulhu

Something that I've noticed lately is that people aren't really equipped to deal with outside attraction when they're in a relationship. I don't get it. It's normal, it happens, and it doesn't have to lead to anything. Get over it.

674753.jpg

To me limiting the proportion of people you could be close friends with like that is ridiculous.

A lot of people have very warped ideas of how attraction works. Pop culture often reinforces these beliefs.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This kind of thinking says a lot more about the men than any woman. They basically think they can only interact with women on a sexual playing field. They aren't real people with thoughts, emotions, hopes and dreams or the like just a set of holes that men can get off with. Sure they'll try and lessen this and pretty it up but its just a selfish ugly mind set. Worse it basically paints them as potential fucking rapists because they can't resist the feminine charms of a woman. Just fucking sad and disgusting all around.

UCBooties

Quick reminder:

This isn't about Mike Pence not wanting to be alone with women as a private citizen.

This is about Mike Pence refusing to meet with women who need to speak with him privately in his capacity as VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED FUCKING STATES.

Fuck him and fuck anyone apologizing for this puritan wannabe sharia bullshit.

rataven

Sounds like he wants to fuck any and all women around him so he put in safeguards. This is a huge red flag imo, he must have done some shit in the past lol.

Yeah, this is the bigger red flag to me. If my SO told me he wasn't going to have work lunches with female coworkers out of 'respect' for me, I'd have to reconsider how much trust I could actually place in him. It's practically admitting he can't keep it in his pants. Plus, it just sounds super skeevy.

Peltz

I think that's a gross oversimplification and Pence is getting a lot of unfair hatred because he's part of the Trump administration rather than having the situation judged on its merits. I know of a person who went on a business trip with a person of the opposite gender and they had to get separate rooms because of the fact. If they had shared the same room but slept in separate beds would that have been appropriate even though it was purely business and non sexual? People have their own boundaries and if Pence doesn't want to put himself in a position where he is having dinner with a female associate on his own then he should be allowed to.

Those two situations are nothing alike at all. Lol what the fuck am I reading?

Eating food in public together isn't the same thing as sleeping in the same room behind closed doors.

Future

Isn't there a "can women and men ever be just friends" thread every few months or so? A lot of people have trouble with things like this. It ain't about rape or lack of consent but more on inability to control themselves when there IS consent. I can understand not wanting to go to clubs or bars alone where there is a chance they could get hit on and have trouble resisting it

Now him saying that he can't even have business dinners or work with other women.....well that's just insanity. Especially from the vice fucking president

Meier

Actually, that remark by Matt Walsh is something I can sorta get behind. I find there is indeed very little reason for it. There's exceptions and there's women (friends) I could certainly enjoy a good conversation and dinner with, but my equipment isn't fucking around. It doesn't give a fuck whether I have a girlfriend at home or not[/B]

This is so ridiculous, btw. It's not like every time you eat dinner with someone of the opposite sex they're fellating a bottle, bending over and showing off their tits or shaking their ass in your face. You just get a boner by seeing another woman? Are you 12? Why is your equipment even coming into the conversation? Be an adult.

As others have said, Pence's stance limits professional opportunities for women. It is absurd, ridiculous, outdated and asinine. People are spot on when comparing these sorts of gestures with other religions that conservatives berate and revile.

I mean first off, these professional women aren't trying to fuck Mike Pence, but perhaps it's for the best, because he sounds like some out of control deviant.

This is a thing. My religious brother in law said he won't get in an elevator or similarly small space with a woman who isn't his wife (if it's just the two of them).

This is why I get scared when I hear religious people call atheists amoral, as if without the good book these motherfuckers would just go around raping and murdering people. They actually can't imagine being normal without the fear of god.

bionic77

Why isn't he worried about having spontaneous sex with men he might meet?

Everytime should just be done by telephone from now on.

ItIsOkBro

do you realize that what you're saying is the only reason to spend time with someone of the opposite gender is because you want to sleep with them?

what about me hanging out with a gay friend of mine is he gonna get me gay and then we get gay together and I have to tell my wife that I am now gay and its because we had lunch 1 on 1

It's a fucking stupid belief.

if I had to tell my wife "I was going to have lunch with a female friend but I didnt because I respect you" I don't think she would say "ah thank you for respecting me" it would be more "the fuck is wrong with you" and I feel that applies to... every adult person I know.

It is because Pence is old fashioned and cheap.

'If I go alone with a woman I might have to do the gentlemanly thing and pay for her meal.'

Always trying to save them Pennies. All those Pennies going to his head. You might say he has got a head for Pennies or Penny Head.

Lyn

Banned
I really don't get the problem here. Even as a woman, I see this as a non-issue.

The article referenced never says he refuses to eat with women, he just won't eat with them alone. Another party at the table (man or woman) is helpful, and honestly, I can see the reasoning for it. The media loves to gossip and find scandal everywhere, and anything can be quickly taken out of context including a simple business lunch. Additionally, even though I am no fan of Pence, I commend anyone who knows their personal limitations and sets boundaries to prevent temptation.

I find the snide remarks against him rather confusing, but I guess that is because I generally act in the same manner. I don't drink in public for the very reason it lowers inhibitions and puts me at greater risk of finding trouble or getting into it, or possibly saying something I may later regret. I am also not interested in venturing out with men I hardly know, even for business, alone and without company although my reasoning is different. The behavior is the same though.

Of all the things to get fussed over, or deride someone for, this all seems so benign.

ZOONAMI

what about me hanging out with a gay friend of mine is he gonna get me gay and then we get gay together and I have to tell my wife that I am now gay and its because we had lunch 1 on 1

It's a fucking stupid belief.

if I had to tell my wife "I was going to have lunch with a female friend but I didnt because I respect you" I don't think she would say "ah thank you for respecting me" it would be more "the fuck is wrong with you" and I feel that applies to... every adult person I know.

Yep.

The conservative defense of this is super weird. VP seems to be an ultimate pervert who thinks all women are sexual objects, and the best way to avoid infedilty is for him to just not talk to women, ever.

What a family man hero.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
This is a thing. My religious brother in law said he won't get in an elevator or similarly small space with a woman who isn't his wife (if it's just the two of them).

Sure, this is a thing... for people who can't act like mature adults in control of themselves.

This nonsense smacks of the "that she-devil temptress is to blame!" mentality.

rjinaz

If women would just stay in the kitchen where they belong, I wouldn't ever have to see them and I wouldn't be tempted to cheat on my wife.

Conservative logic for you.

Dali

So this is like a thing now on the right.

http://thefederalist.com/2017/03/30/dont-mock-mike-pence-for-protecting-his-marriage-commend-him/

J9QoGMB.png

Like this is weird, is every interaction with a women/man a problem for these people. Can they not suppress their sex drive and interact with people, as you know, people?
My mother, a teacher, said that she advised or just thinks it's common sense for male teachers to not be alone with female students. The reason being... they'll lie. I don't think it's unreasonable for a dude with a bullseye on his chest to try his best to be beyond reproach.

FStubbs

It wouldn't surprise me, they can't all be straight. I've always suspected some people who are that blinkered, ignorant and hateful usually have skeletons in the closet, whether it be gay, extreme kinks or illegal stuff.

A great deal of hard core racists sexually desire what they're racist against.

Trey

I know plenty of folks who refuse to be alone with the opposite sex/someone you may find attractive. It's seen as disrespectful to your significant other, regardless of the context. It's a little weird, but not too difficult to work around. It's definitely a common conservative perspective.

The analogies people are using to defend this are stupid as fuck though.

My ex basically didn't want me to even talk to any females, much less actually go anywhere or do anything with them.
I couldn't convince her that it was possible for a man and a woman to talk and enjoy each other's company, without sex being the goal.

My mother, a teacher, said that she advised or just thinks it's common sense for male teachers to not be alone with female students. The reason being... they'll lie. I don't think it's unreasonable for a dude with a bullseye on his chest to try his best to be beyond reproach.

This too. As a male teacher in the past, it was a significant concern of others (who would report stuff because "they didn't feel comfortable with it")

ZOONAMI

So a teacher should never meet with a female student based on fear of the student lying about sex that didn't happen?

Smh.

I know plenty of folks who refuse to be alone with the opposite sex/someone you may find attractive. It's seen as disrespectful to your significant other, regardless of the context. It's a little weird, but not too difficult to work around. It's definitely a common conservative perspective.

The analogies people are using to defend this are stupid as fuck though.

I just don't see how it's disrespectful. To me, this method is significantly more disrespectful.

In my mind:
I can be alone with anyone because I would never cheat on my wife = Respectful
I won't eat alone with someone of the opposite sex because i know I'd cheat on my wife the second i had the chance = Disrespectful

Maybe I'm over simplifying it

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Respect? I could go to lunch with a female friend today and my girlfriend would simply ask how my lunch was and if I had a good time.

There is no issue with man and woman having lunch. Your thought process is the problem.

Yeah, like, does that poster get an erection from every women he interacts with? On top of sounding like an annoying problem, it's also kinda rapey and gross.

Dali

So a teacher should never meet with a female student based on fear of the student lying about sex that didn't happen?

Smh.
Not one on one with no other parties present, no. You can "smh" all you want but I will trust the words of a life long educator over some random nobody anyday. Also based on witnessing what just the accusation can do to a person's career why would you risk it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom