• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Skyrim switch analysis!

SirNinja

ohhh noooo, you called me a junior, grow the fuck up, LMAO.

Reinforcing the junior stereotype and not answering the question. Two bad posts in one!

I have a feeling this will bomb hard though and i feel will sell less than Doom on Switch.

It's #5 on the eshop top-sellers list and that's just the digital version. It'll do fine. Plus there's a ton of people waiting for the inevitable after-holiday price drop.

Donnie

785d49584266631aefc56174a0659bde3cbf5af234fa4a609f4cd27c01b56e58.jpg

The year a handheld plays games that look very similar to the PS4 version, good stuff.

OuterLimits

Developers have done an excellent job considering the limitations of the hardware.
I have a feeling this will bomb hard though and i feel will sell less than Doom on Switch. Devs are going start wondering if its worth it (unless it is really easy and cheap to port).

I think Skyrim will do decently on the Switch. It will likely continue to sell over the holidays as well. Doom I'm more unsure of, but my guess is it does ok.

LA Noire will bomb though I think. Although it may not do great on the other consoles either.

Yeah, I played my GTA: Liberty City Stories on my PSP, and it looked horrendous. /s

I agree with Phatosaurus here, Switch is downright impressive, considering the technical limitations of the PSP.

Vice City Stories was even better. Looked worse than the PS2 version but it was still Vice City playing in the palms of your hand and that was great.

echoshizzle

Neo Member
I never got through more than a few hours of Skyrim so I'll definitely be picking this up for Switch at some point. Glad to see it runs well. Let's hope it runs better than the PS3 version

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
To me Skyrim very ugly game no matter what console is on, especially the character models and the animation.

ubiblu

LA Noire will bomb though I think. Although it may not do great on the other consoles either.

It was borderline retarded to remaster LA Noire over Red Dead Redemption. Can you imagine how much business a remaster, let alone a portable one would do.

Dumbasses. And this coming from someone who genuinely enjoyed LA Noire!

Senua

It was borderline retarded to remaster LA Noire over Red Dead Redemption. Can you imagine how much business a remaster, let alone a portable one would do.

Seems like RDR is just a mess, that's why there was no PC port either.

Apparently RDR is running on spaghetti code and is held together by happy thoughts and unicorn farts, so any attempt on a port/remaster would probably result in a huge mess.

Aztorian

I never played the game before and..

and you already know you gonna play the shit out of it so you decide to completely lose yourself into Skyrim through VR and play it on the go when you HAVE to leave your house? Yes, that's my fate too.

Xdrive05

Still blown away that a stock (underclocked!) Tegra X1 can run this at these settings. That’s insane to me. Nintendo was smart to go with Nvidia this time around. I’m more impressed by what Switch does with a portable form factor than what the stationary consoles do with theirs.

Really, really hope this game and other 3rd parties sell very well, and Nintendo can get good 3rd party support again. The hardware is getting there at least.

Senua

Still blown away that a stock (underclocked!) Tegra X1 can run this at these settings. That’s insane to me. Nintendo was smart to go with Nvidia this time around. I’m more impressed by what Switch does with a portable form factor than what the stationary consoles do with theirs.

Really, really hope this game and other 3rd parties sell very well, and Nintendo can get good 3rd party support again. The hardware is getting there at least.
GPD win 2 may run Skyrim at 60, but dno if I can wait that long.

xviper

oh wow, a 6 years old game that looked awful the year it released and now looks like complete shit and the switch runs it at 30FPS, is this problem from the developer or the console ?? my guess is the developer

Aonuma

Apparently the Nvidia Shield can.

The Switch is an Nvidia Shield Tablet with more RAM and Nintendo games that sells for cheaper while still coming with detachable controllers and a dock. Hardly counts as a gaming alternative in most regards.

Nategc20

Banned
Enjoying my time with the switch version. Between doom, la noire, mario kart, Zelda, and Skyrim, I think its safe to say I welcome portable AAA ports into the world.

I would like a 360/PS3 like Madden port next year EA, please?

120v

oh wow, a 6 years old game that looked awful the year it released and now looks like complete shit and the switch runs it at 30FPS, is this problem from the developer or the console ?? my guess is the developer

not sure what you're getting at but it was fairly impressive in 2011 considering the hardware and the game's scale. and the switch edition is pared with the current gen editions rather than what we got 6 years ago... though the switch version isn't a technological marvel per se it's pretty solid from both a hardware and software perspective

RaptorGTA

Anyone know how long the battery will last running Skyrim in portable mode by now?

I haven't paid to much attention but seems to be less then zelda. Though I do have the brightness turned all the way up on my screen. Caves and dungeons are really dark in this game.

Aztorian

I haven't paid to much attention but seems to be less then zelda. Though I do have the brightness turned all the way up on my screen. Caves and dungeons are really dark in this game.

Thought it would be less than Zelda, hope it's longer than 2,5 hours though.

mario_O

It's a technical marvel to see this game running on a handheld so well (although the Switch is closer to a tablet than it is to a handheld), but if you don't care about portability I see no reason to buy this version. It's cheaper on PC, PS4, and Xbox, and it looks much better on the big screen.

twisted89

Yeah I'm pretty sure something weird is going on with the contrast, not sure why they've removed the slider from the settings.

I *really* want this game, but 60 bucks is asked way too much :/ As happy I am that it's released on Switch, Bethesda should have gotten much more shit for this price policy. Remember when there was outrage over TWW HD's price?

AndTAR

Anyone know how long the battery will last running Skyrim in portable mode by now?
I also get roughly similar results as to what kingbean mentions above. It appears to relatively rarely be pushing maximum mobile performance - though I guess the constant AA and relatively rare drops to dynamic resolution also indicated that.

I guess a factor is also how much playtime is spent in indoor scenes/dungeons, since those should be much less rendering intensive than the big outdoor vistas.

kingbean

I also get roughly similar results as to what kingbean mentions above. It appears to relatively rarely be pushing maximum mobile performance - though I guess the constant AA and relatively rare drops to dynamic resolution also indicated that.

I guess a factor is also how much playtime is spent in indoor scenes/dungeons, since those should be much less rendering intensive than the big outdoor vistas.

Yeah true. I've spent most of my time in early dungeons and in white run whacking away at the forge.

I haven't noticed frame drops and the resolution looks pretty close to 720p at all times in early parts of the game at least to me. The switch itself isn't pumping out as much heat as is was with Zelda or even Mario Kart either.

RaptorGTA

Yeah true. I've spent most of my time in early dungeons and in white run whacking away at the forge.

I haven't noticed frame drops and the resolution looks pretty close to 720p at all times in early parts of the game at least to me. The switch itself isn't pumping out as much heat as is was with Zelda or even Mario Kart either.

I noticed too the Switch doesn't get to hot when playing Skyrim. The Switch is on fire when playing Doom though..but considering the graphic its pushing out that's understandable. I haven't noticed any frame issues so is pretty nice.

kingbean

I noticed too the Switch doesn't get to hot when playing Skyrim. The Switch is on fire when playing Doom though..but considering the graphic its pushing out that's understandable. I haven't noticed any frame issues so is pretty nice.

Yeah I do one level per play period and it takes about 30-40% in a little over an hour. The last level I did might have taken a bit longer since I did the rune mission like 15 times lol.

Bolivar687

Banned
its nonsense to compare it to X1/PS4, then excuse it for being worst in every way when docked, and basically excuse the technical drawbacks by saying well atleast its mobile.
It should be viewed as a portable game console and that's, because it gets a pass on things the X1/PS4 would get hammered on.
So in summary its the worst version, but its mobile.... if only the PSP got this special treatment when it was released.

I actually agree with this. I don't like the double standards we apply so Nintendo can look good. It's like the Valkyria Chronicles 4 thread, where the game gets announced as multiplatform and someone makes a thread saying it's a Switch game. Just really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

A.M_Light

Neo Member
I *really* want this game, but 60 bucks is asked way too much :/ As happy I am that it's released on Switch, Bethesda should have gotten much more shit for this price policy. Remember when there was outrage over TWW HD's price?
You can buy it from the South African eshop. I bought it for 47$

Top Bottom