• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2017 Week 3 |OT| Confused as a Yankee Learning to Square Dance

FyreWulff

It's weird that USC was told to vacate their losses, but Texas wasn't told to vacate their wins. We will forever have differing records and they'll both be correct per the NCAA lmao

I've always wondered if this is more aimed at any sort of benefit to the game. For instance if USC got some sort of attendance record in the game, they can't acknowledge it anymore, but Texas could. I'm always thinking about the knock-on effects.

New title slays!

Anyway, I think Oklahoma runs the table on their regular season games. Biggest opposition seems to be OK State and, believe it or not, K State.

I just don't see the likes of TCU or WVU sticking around for 4 quarters against them.

Ganhyun

maybe by asking for questions now, 9-10 hours before recording, we'll get some.

Any questions for the podcast?

Also see that our newest Vol fan, LionPride, is banned.

One for Andy and anyone else who wants to chime in really.

Eason looked very shaky in the first game of the year. A lot of his troubles from last year were readily apparent in his short playtime. Fromm has managed well and is showing signs of learning and not repeating mistakes he makes in games pretty well. Eason is week to week, but hasn't practiced this week so I doubt he plays against Samford. If Eason comes back against Mississippi State or Tennessee and struggles the same as he did in game one, how big a leash do you think he has before Kirby pulls him for Fromm? Or do you think Eason even starts if Fromm continues to play the way he currently is?

Just curious on the group's thoughts.

Can't spell Citrus without UT. I think Spurrier probably made Tennessee fans care about that game the most. He had a way of doing that for opposing fanbases.

I was at a game where they honored Spurrier in Neyland for something and there was a nice ovation. There were some boo-birds, of course, but it was a nice showing of respect.

I've always liked Spurrier even if he did make the Vols his bitch for a good while.

It is only now that I realized this thread has been relatively Gata free.

And in this moment of realization, it has vanished.

There's something in quantum physics about precisely this phenomenon. Even the act of mere observation changes what's being observed.

Re: podcast questions...

Piggybacking on my post a few up, who thinks Oklahoma runs the table on their regular season? And if not, who beats them?

Also, Gus Malzahn is still secretly calling the plays, right?

POWER IS BACK!!!

Righteous. Hopefully, all else fared well for you and yours. Up here in Tally, I never lost power, when most people I know did.

But I have about 7 downed trees. One in the front that blocked the driveway. And a big ass one in the back that took several with it.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
So Tennessee's top rival is Florida
Alabamas top rival is Tennessee
Florida's top rival is Georgia?

My dad would always say Alabama was our rival, but the last twenty or so years I think it has shifted to Florida. For awhile there the UT/FL game decided the East, and honestly the SEC. It's not like that anymore, but at least the games are close. The Alabama games in comparsion have been one-sided for awhile now. There was a period where we beat them almost every year, and now that has flipped (big time). The game also holds less stake in the SEC, and honestly I could do without playing Bama every damn year.

Alabama has to be LSU or Auburn at this point. Though when you consistently beat everyone its kinda hard to tell.

Not sure about Florida. Georgia or Fla St?

jjasper

The UT-UF rivalry is a by product of the SEC creating the divisions and then both being the only 2 SEC teams worth a shit for like 10 years. There is definitely an age thing in it though. People that grew up in the 90's on probably associate it as the bigger game unless you had a dad or someone to stress the importance of it. Probably similar to how kids in Baja growing up right now probably care more about LSU than UT.

Lunar15

Can't spell Citrus without UT. I think Spurrier probably made Tennessee fans care about that game the most. He had a way of doing that for opposing fanbases.

I mean, we consistently beat them through the Peyton years. They were at their all-time best and they couldn't beat us. That'd make any team furious. Spurrierisms are icing on the cake.

As for UF's biggest rival, it's all about context. Practically speaking, Georgia was our biggest rival in the past decade since they were our closest competitor in the SEC east (Although South Carolina and, more recently, Tennessee, have taken that mantle again). But Florida State is the in-state rival and it's always the last game of the season so it just hits home. You gotta beat your in-state rival, especially when both teams have had impressive legacies throughout time.

It is only now that I realized this thread has been relatively Gata free.

And in this moment of realization, it has vanished.

There's something in quantum physics about precisely this phenomenon. Even the act of mere observation changes what's being observed.

It's almost as if we didn't play a game last week and had to deal with a hurricane barreling our way. To be fair, if the season continues the way it has been going, you won't have to deal with us much anyway.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
It's weird that USC was told to vacate their losses, but Texas wasn't told to vacate their wins. We will forever have differing records and they'll both be correct per the NCAA lmao

I thought "vacate your results" meant "vacate all your wins."

tho Sports Reference shows USC as 0-1 that year, but shows 2010 Ohio State as 0-0.

I thought "vacate your results" meant "vacate all your wins."

tho Sports Reference shows USC as 0-1 that year, but shows 2010 Ohio State as 0-0.

I agree. forfeits should all go down as losses, not N/A. The games DID happen, and if they lost they lost, but if they won, then they cheated to win so that should also be a loss. If their opponent beat them, even though they cheated, thats even more impressive.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I agree. forfeits should all go down as losses, not N/A. The games DID happen, and if they lost they lost, but if they won, then they cheated to win so that should also be a loss. If their opponent beat them, even though they cheated, thats even more impressive.

well right, that's why "vacate" is what they do now.

Forfeit switches all of your results to Losses

Vacate removes all your Ws. It does not grant a W to your opponent.

Vacate does NOT remove your loss. Your opponent still gets the W and you still have the L in that game.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, I'm a bit more nuanced in my "choice" of rival.

When it gets down to it, it's mostly about which one of these particular teams is the most potentially damaging team to face. Which one might pull out a win. Which means that even A&M and Ole Miss, for split seconds, were rivals needing to be beat (and that they have been, one way or another).

As it stands right now, I'd say it's a LSU >Auburn > Tennessee ranking.

But I still hate them all, just for slightly different reasons.

Tennessee, because I remember my dad really disliking them, and during my adolescence, they were really good, up to and through the Peyton years. Mid 90's to mid 00's weren't a great time, so I'm continuing to be happy with every year this winning streak continues. Looking to see #11 in a row in person (first time to actually go to a TSIO game).

Auburn, is mostly because they're the fans I know most of. I've met and interacted with more Auburn fans than any other college fandom. I have relatives that are Auburn fans. Best case scenario: There's not much sports talk or just very slight ribbing about each other. Maybe even mutual respect over "this years teams" and how they look.

But most of the time, they're assholes. Very similar to those asshole younger brothers or cousins you might have had growing up. Yeah, you can be civil, but you can tell they have the courage to be pricks. Having the downside of seemingly every Auburn victory comes on the wings of some disastrous event (Camback, Kick Six, Probation leading to "Fear the Thumb"), doesn't help.

LSU is the combination between nouveau riche and jilted ex-girlfriend. Bit of a younger brother in them, too, during the Les years. Always trying to build their team in the same way as Saban did it, but with diminishing returns.

Could throw in Florida, as there's been plenty of "big games" between the 2 over the last few decades, but Florida's been in such a bad downturn, it's lost the luster it had in 2008/2009 (and the 90's). But besides a bad Prothro joke by pxleyes, there's never been a huge amount of rival hate.

I acknowledge Tennessee (#FreeLion) is our one true rival because my parents drilled that in my brother and I. I personally care more for our bouts with LSU, which is funny, because when they aren't playing us, I actually can't help but like them. I look at them more like that rival you respect the hell out of, even though they haven't beaten us since 2011 (they pushed the hell out of us in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2016 though). Also, coming up in Texas during my teenage years, there were a lot of LSU fans in my school (partly a byproduct of Katrina relocating a lot of them), and talking shit with them during the first week of November was always lit. Still is.

I prefer to pretend that other sister school doesn't even exist.

On podcast questions: Is South Carolina a legit contender for the SEC (L)East? I feel like they've gotta be looked at as the second best squad in the division behind Georgia at this point. I was cautiously high on them before the season started.

Also, who has the best win of the season so far? (USC? Alabama? Georgia? Clemson? Oklahoma? Someone else?)

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
well right, that's why "vacate" is what they do now.

Forfeit switches all of your results to Losses

Vacate removes all your Ws. It does not grant a W to your opponent.

Vacate does NOT remove your loss. Your opponent still gets the W and you still have the L in that game.

Yeah, I believe Alabama had to Forfeit some games in 1993 (turned W's into L's and it's a 1-12 season), and only vacated wins in the mid 00's (like Saban's 1st year was really 7-6, but it only shows up as 2-6)

But still, look how lovely this is:
WsgrvHn.jpg

ag-my001

I often wonder what the two yard pass to the flat looks like in practice. Our receivers always seem to get tackled immediately, but our defensive backs always get burned.

maybe by asking for questions now, 9-10 hours before recording, we'll get some.

Any questions for the podcast?

Also see that our newest Vol fan, LionPride, is banned.
If your team was facing punishment, what would be your preferred punishments be? For the sake of discussion, assume it's not for something horrific (e.g. Penn State.) Death penalty, fines, scholarship restrictions, post-season bans, media bans, closed door games, vacated wins, retroactive forfeits, have to wear your hated rival's unis, Little Sisters of the Poor gets the death penalty, etc...

I often wonder what the two yard pass to the flat looks like in practice. Our receivers always seem to get tackled immediately, but our defensive backs always get burned.

An extremely movable object meets an easily deterred force. What a shit show that must be.

Skiesofwonder

Yeah, I believe Alabama had to Forfeit some games in 1993 (turned W's into L's and it's a 1-12 season), and only vacated wins in the mid 00's (like Saban's 1st year was really 7-6, but it only shows up as 2-6)

But still, look how lovely this is:
WsgrvHn.jpg

Just seeing that 2009 score still stings.

Arch rivals are a tricky thing. I think what makes Tennessee Alabama's #1 rival is the Philip Fulmer era and his role in the investigation and sanctions on Alabama, as well as Peyton Manning owning Alabama in a transition period. But there are other factors, like Alabama not having a professional team and thus, though I'm definitely opposed to this ideology, many people root for the state of Alabama (Alabama and Auburn) and while they might have a favorite generally it's not always contentious.

And although Alabama has dominated Tennessee lately, it isn't a case where the Vols stop being a major rival because the program is too storied and there is too much history in the series.

Really there aren't too many comparable rivalries in college sports to Alabama and Auburn, two major programs in the same state and conference. I wonder what really separates Duke and North Carolina, which doesn't have the same "root for the state" mentality as far as I'm aware.

ag-my001

"AWWWW SHUCKS, WE'VE CREATED COLD FUSION, GUESS WE'LL HAVE TO STOP WEARING OVERALLS"
Oddly enough, there was an A&M professor big into cold fusion. The rest of the chemistry faculty pilloried him for it. I used to have a big write-up about it, but I haven't thought about it for years.

Skiesofwonder

I still remember getting extremely nervous during the 2015 game when we were basically playing an elimination game every week after Ole Miss. y'all thought lmao

For some reason the 2015 game doesn't sting as much. If I remember correctly, you guys were beat up after a long stretch of tough games that year and it seemed like you played down to our level. 2009 on the other hand felt like a glimmer of hope, with us going toe to toe with the Tide. Then Kiffin jumped ship and you know the rest.

"AWWWW SHUCKS, WE'VE CREATED COLD FUSION, GUESS WE'LL HAVE TO STOP WEARING OVERALLS"

I watched that game from Gatlinburg. I celebrated that ending from the balcony overlooking the hard rock cafe.

I drank way too much after that game to remember anything except the block.

andycapps

This week we talk about the updated AP rankings, last weeks's amazing game in Columbus, other great games in college football, what's coming up this week, and get an update on the pick 'em.

Subscribe here in iTunes or search for The Decided Schematic Advantage in your podcast app of choice. Send questions and comments to podcast@the-cog.com.

tebunker

Banned
Tennessee is Alabama's one true rival. Fuck Tennessee. I hope Butch Jones stays there forever.

You get it, you just understand.

Some of the younger fans don't get it. Hell I came to liking Alabama in the 90s as a teen, but I think I just understood from to groups I hung out with on campus to talking to old timers.

"It's okay to dislike the Barn they'd say, but at the end of the day they're still from Alabama and you're little brother." I just don't like that cow college.

"LSU are just a bunch of hicks from the sticks", and honestly until the Dark Lord graced them, they weren't much of nothing for decades. It isn't really a rivalry even though I dislike them much and have palpitations while watching them play. I blame Alabama coaches between Stallings and Saban for really letting these guys get better.

Now Tennessee just brings up that bile from the pit of your stomach. UTk really is the historic rival too. They didn't shy away like the Barn did for decades, they have a good history and have generally been competitive and it was a much more balanced rivalry prior to the two recent long streaks.

However, for me, the deal sealer is Payton. As a Football player I dislike no one more than him. I was an impressionable freshman in 1997. I was in legion field for that game. I don't remember a whole lot other than getting trounced and then GD Rocky Top... So yeah, UTk will always have a dark spot in my heart....

LSU and Alabama have had the best rivalry in the SEC for years now even if it wasn't a historical one.

Real rivalries are built on the back of hard fought games between good teams. It's why the USC/Notre Dame and Michigan/Ohio State rivalries are good even if they're more up and down because they're so old. In state rivalries just don't mean as much outside of those regions.

For some reason the 2015 game doesn't sting as much. If I remember correctly, you guys were beat up after a long stretch of tough games that year and it seemed like you played down to our level. 2009 on the other hand felt like a glimmer of hope, with us going toe to toe with the Tide. Then Kiffin jumped ship and you know the rest.

I drank way too much after that game to remember anything except the block.

That's exactly what I mean. Tennessee was our last game before the bye, and we'd been through a hell of a stretch, including our loss to Ole Miss. Y'all scored late and basically forced us to drive the length of the field to score after not doing much offensively for the second half. There were two third and longs on that drive that were extended by amazing catches by Calvin and ArDarius, and Derrick punched it in on an amazing Kiffin play, but damn if I wasn't able to breathe during the entirety of that series.

Then our defense stopped y'all one last time and I knew we wouldn't lose again that season. And we didn't :)

lush

"You have to start fast on the road. Of our 70 individuals boarding the plane, only 27 have been in The Swamp."

Lyle "Butch" Jones at presser yesterday

Guy is such a pathetic loser, of course he'd know the number.

Limedust

However, for me, the deal sealer is Payton. As a Football player I dislike no one more than him. I was an impressionable freshman in 1997. I was in legion field for that game. I don't remember a whole lot other than getting trounced and then GD Rocky Top... So yeah, UTk will always have a dark spot in my heart....

I was present for Peyton leading the band (as a college Junior) at Legion Field in 1997, and I was present for 4th and 19 in 2003 when I was able to score tickets. I also spent part of my childhood growing up in Oak Ridge (just outside of Knoxville). UT is the team I want to see ground into fine powder every year, but I would acknowledge that LSU and Auburn have been better opponents during the Saban era.

andycapps

Already setting up that excuse.

The podcast last night was pretty great. Andrew having an aneurysm at about 22 min in talking about OSU is probably the highlight.

He's always subtly throwing out facts that will make a loss seem reasonable. I'll never forget Florida and LSU canceling their game last year and Butch getting extremely upset about the idea that Florida might avoid LSU altogether the week before he ran the Texas A&M/Alabama gauntlet (and procured two L's lolololol).

lush

He's always subtly throwing out facts that will make a loss seem reasonable. I'll never forget Florida and LSU canceling their game last year and Butch getting extremely upset about the idea that Florida might avoid LSU altogether the week before he ran the Texas A&M/Alabama gauntlet (and procured two L's lolololol).
He's given some version of this quote every season he's been here. The program remains forever young in year 5. The catchphrases and gimmicks are all he has.

My favorite was before the Oklahoma game in '14 where he cited that a third of the team had never flown on a plane before as a challenge.

Top Bottom