• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

UrbanRats

Uh... the lake isn't empty, it's just got a bad texture because... well... you're not supposed to be able to see it clearly. That's not the problem, the problem is the very obvious one you didn't see for some reason :p

zV6Fp.jpg

Spot the difference!

Oh boy..

Konami has just tweeted:

We’re aware of the issues w/ #SilentHill HD Collection for PS3. The patch has been deployed & now avail on PSN. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Has anybody downloaded the patch and noticed improvements yet?

Persona7

Banned
I am watching my friend play SH3 with the patch and we still see the hitching and "underwater slowdown" that happened every so often.

The hitching doesn't happen as much as it used to though. Slowdown seems the same as before patch.

Edit: Ok, we are in the room where you get the flashlight and the framerate is solid, but when you exit that room and start walking around the game is still doing that weird slowdown. If you leave that junction and go into the room where you find the handgun earlier the game starts speeding up and slowing down. Really weird.

Buggy Loop

My only problem with SH 2, 3 & 4 on PC is that i cant configure the 360 pad correctly, the triggers do not register. Anyone know a fix?

Teknoman

Someone test Silent Hill 2.

How will the effect Silent Hill HD collection in the future though? Say well into next generation like Persona was saying. Would Konami just stop printing the current version on PS3 so that it would maybe alleviate running into the problem in the future? Or maybe just offer some sort of legacy support?

My only problem with SH 2, 3 & 4 on PC is that i cant configure the 360 pad correctly, the triggers do not register. Anyone know a fix?

You can use XPadder and tie the triggers to keyboard keys. It's what I had to do in Metal Gear Solid 2 PC. Man, what a horrible port.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Holy shit at the SH3 oldman comparison completely missing selfshadowing and DoF on 360/PS3.
Plus the gamma looks to be completely fucked up on PS3, especially on SH2. Now I'm glad I waited a bit so I coul use a Zavvi code on my order, but I hope they patch it or that is just the screen caps being fucked up.
I'm going by the comparison posted tho, haven't tried them myself, can you guys vouch for that?

Is it possible to play SH2/SH3 on Win7 64bit today? In 1080p @60 (or at least 30) with some AA/AF?
Iirc there was some kind of mod to get widescreen support, but I don't know if it breaks the game/camera and if it works in Win7. Afaik the game had gamepad support back then, do you need xpadder/pinnacle to use an X36o pad with it?

Persona7

Banned
Ok, the next area with the escalators-3F and jewelry store seems to run a bit better even with enemies on screen. Small amounts of hitching. But once you go back to the 2F the slow down comes back.

Is it possible to play SH2/SH3 on Win7 64bit today? In 1080p @60 (or at least 30) with some AA/AF?
Iirc there was some kind of mod to get widescreen support, but I don't know if it breaks the game/camera and if it works in Win7. Afaik the game had gamepad support back then, do you need xpadder/pinnacle to use an X36o pad with it?

Here's a post that details how to get Silent Hill 2 up and running.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27516142&postcount=4112

Spent a good chunk of time last night with SH2 and am pretty impressed overall. I'm not a super huge fan of the new VO, but love that I can just set it to the old VO if I want. The game still seems to feel and play just like I remember it, warts and all. The next textures seem pretty nice, although honestly, I didn't every really seem to think "wow, this looks so much better than the original." And, totally forgot how much more helpful the 2D controls are. No more tanking it around Silent Hill!

Levito

Banned
Did the PS2 version even have slowdown? Its been awhile...

I've played through SH2 and SH3 countless times, and I can't think of a single instance in either case.

Silent Hill 3 is one of the most polished video games I've ever played, the PS2 version that is.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
The HD versions on either console aren't looking amazingly better than the original, to me at least...

What are the Trophies and Achivements like? Anything fun in there?

Uh... the lake isn't empty, it's just got a bad texture because... well... you're not supposed to be able to see it clearly. That's not the problem, the problem is the very obvious one you didn't see for some reason :p

[IMG']http://i.imgur.com/zV6Fp.jpg[/IMG]

Spot the difference!

Hmmm might be right. I am pretty sure there's not actually any water texture on it though, need to go play through the first part of SH2 again and look for myself as I am sure I was wondering why the hell there wasn't any water in there. But yeah you are clearly not supposed to ever be able to see it like that, looks pretty shitty.

Holy cow thanks!

It really does look pretty fantastic with forced AA and what not, in doors at least.

http://minus.com/m4uKKLH6R/9

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Did the PS2 version even have slowdown? Its been awhile...

I'm currently replaying SH3 on PS2, and the only time I noticed anything resembling a hitch was when I was exiting the
hospital
. And it was such a small stutter it was completely insignificant anyway.

Holy shit at the SH3 oldman comparison completely missing selfshadowing and DoF on 360/PS3.
Plus the gamma looks to be completely fucked up on PS3, especially on SH2. Now I'm glad I waited a bit so I coul use a Zavvi code on my order, but I hope they patch it or that is just the screen caps being fucked up.
I'm going by the comparison posted tho, haven't tried them myself, can you guys vouch for that?

SH3 runs like a charm on Win7 x64 AFAIK. I think SH2 should run too, with some tweaking.

RagnarokX

Hmmm might be right. I am pretty sure there's not actually any water texture on it though, need to go play through the first part of SH2 again and look for myself as I am sure I was wondering why the hell there wasn't any water in there. But yeah you are clearly not supposed to ever be able to see it like that, looks pretty shitty.

Hint: The problem is the fact that the fog is removed and the world just ends.

Persona7

Banned
The slow motion double heads are hilarious.

Even funnier with slow motion Heather.

Seems like this update did very little, wish we could have a change log. My friend has also decided to send his copy back to amazon. :\

jett

D-Member
Wow I can't believe there's missing effects in this thing. Where's the depth of field, fog and the self shadowing? Why are the colors all fucked up? Oh man, this is such a disgrace.

I'm doing another playthrough of SH2 on Win7x64 right now without any tweaking. Not widescreen (1600x1200) and it's not totally stable (hung and crashed a few times), and I need to put it in XP SP2 compatibility mode, but it does work.

Teknoman

I'm assuming that there isnt any way to patch in missing effects on a console title? I'm still debating opening this x_x. Honestly i'm more on the framerate drops than anything else.

I'm assuming that there isnt any way to patch in missing effects on a console title? I'm still debating opening this x_x. Honestly i'm more on the framerate drops than anything else.

They could patch in anything they want. I just don't think they have the skill or inclination.

Persona7

Banned
Slow motion Heather and Double Heads in the Subway.

The subway section was running pretty well up until you hit the number 1 platform with the double heads and metal grating. Slow motion town after that.

So, any positive impressions (360 version), or is this the biggest travesty since ME3's ending?

I've never played 2 or 3, and I'm wondering if I should just avoid them altogether at this point.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
So, any positive impressions (360 version), or is this the biggest travesty since ME3's ending?

I've never played 2 or 3, and I'm wondering if I should just avoid it altogether at this point.

360 version seems to run better than the PS3 version, but the ports are still bad. If you have a PS2, get the PS2 versions (you can also emulate them on PC if your computer is up to the task), or get the PC versions. I would not recommend the HD collection to people who are out to play SH 2 and 3 for the first time, as they should ideally play the best versions of the games. I've pre-ordered the collection myself though (even if I don't think Konami deserves being rewarded for this sloppy mess of a hackjob), but I already have SH 2 and 3 for PS2, so I can experience the superior versions whenever I want to anyway.

Oh come the fuck on. It's absolutely shameful that games that are a decade old by now are worse on PS360 than they were on PS2. I hope Hijinx Studios never gets any more work after this. Seriously.

Persona7

Banned
I just realized, Double Heads cause the game (silent Hill 3) to completely break down and then the extreme slow down happens.

I wonder if it is a memory leak or something like that.

Wow... I wanted to pick this up for old times sake, but now I'm staying the hell away!
I own the PS2 versions, no need to ruin the memories.

Top Bottom