• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$162 of forbidden sushi. How do I take this L?

M52B28

Banned
Tonight's a big night in SF. Giant's are playing and everyone is excited for the game. I decided to do Postmates, but I forgot my phone charger at my other job. With 75% battery left and two hours of the job, my phone decided to give up.

My last delivery was to this place called Rock N Roll Sushi. It took forever to find it because it was tucked away and hard to see the sign because a tree was in front of the sign. I walked in and grabbed the order, but I noticed that my phone's battery was at 5%. I tried to contact the customer to get their location, but it was too late.

The order wasn't finished when I got there then my phone died, so I left with the food and no real way to get to the customer. I ran to my car and shredded everything in there to try and hope I had a charger tucked away in the random compartments.. nothing. I happened to park next to a Verizon Wireless, so I dropped the food in my car, then ran to the Verizon Wireless that was closed to see if they had a charger. They didn't want to let me in because they had "Money and iPhones out", but they said they would have otherwise.

Ran to Walgreens and bought a charger, but my phone got stuck in the "Android Is Starting " boot loop with my battery dying over and over.

There's fuck all that I can do, so I just gave a tray away to two girls walking around the campus that I stay at and now my roommates are eating it all.

Fuckk..

The delivery was canceled by the time I got back and my phone started up. I told the support services what happened and they said not to worry and that I was not going to be penalized.

Realize that I tried to find where the person lived, but my phone was busted. Also, I was a 15 minute drive from my place.

Forkball

So you stole over a hundred dollars of sushi.

I don't know what kind of lives you guys are living because this has not even almost happened to me.

Vamphuntr

Doesn't Postmates work with a website and not only an app? You are talking about a campus so you are going to a university. No computer there to check the order?

jackdoe

You go back to your dorm and the first thought you have is to give away sushi instead of asking a friend for a charger or a phone to contact the customer?

Jashobeam

you deliver food for a living and having a working phone is crucial for the job, yet you don't have a car charger or a portable power bank? expensive lesson learned i guess.

Cuburt

Buy a portable battery charger to keep in your car.

Shitty timing for a phone to die, but that'll happen when you push it.

Didn't catch why the sushi was forbidden.

You use your phone for work and you don't have a charger or a battery case? Do you take your job seriously?

that's why I still use a Note 4 with remobeable battery.

brau

TLDR anyone?
OP does the pick up food delivery. Last order was 162 USD worth of sushi. His phone dies. Has no portable battery or charger. Instead of waiting to get access once he has a charger decides to fuck it all and gives the sushi to his roommates. He is now 162 poorer and hopefully knows better now.

you deliver food for a living and having a working phone is crucial for the job, yet you don't have a car charger or a portable power bank? expensive lesson learned i guess.

I can sympathize with this. It's an expensive life lesson but will save you more money in the long run if you never repeat it and prepare in advance.

Tell your boss and maybe he'll just let you pay it off at cost. I cannot imaging that $162 of Sushi at bulk trade prices actually costs even 25% of that.

Syriel

Is this comprehensible in any way, please help

OP is a contract food delivery driver for Postmates.

I can sympathize with this. It's an expensive life lesson but will save you more money in the long run if you never repeat it and prepare in advance.

Tell your boss and maybe he'll just let you pay it off at cost. I cannot imaging that $162 of Sushi at bulk trade prices actually costs even 25% of that.

There is no "boss" here. OP doesn't work for the restaurant. OP contracts as an on-demand driver for Postmates.
Though possibly for not much longer.

TLDR anyone?

OP delivers food.

His phone dies and he as no charger. So he can't contact the customer and doesn't know where they are.

He eventually says fuck it and gives the food to some random women for free. Now he's with some roommates eating the rest of the order.

YYOacDR.gif

M52B28

Banned
I left out some bits because I thought it wasn't worth mentioning.

The delivery was canceled by the time I got back and my phone started up. I told the support services what happened and they said not to worry and that I was not going to be penalized.

Realize that I tried to find where the person lived, but my phone was busted. Also, I was a 15 minute drive from my place.

v1lla21

Bruh how you not got a charger on you when doing postmates or any sort of delivery service. Lol.

Was the sushi good at least? I'd be pissed if I bought 162 worth of sushi and it was 7/11 tier.

Bruh how you not got a charger on you when doing postmates or any sort of delivery service. Lol.

Was the sushi good at least? I'd be pissed if I bought 162 worth of sushi and it was 7/11 tier.

It’s not the best chain, but it’s typically better than grocery store sushi.

El Odio

Banned
As someone who's done similar work before it's important to always keep tabs on your phones battery life and pretty much know if you're going to have to back out after the next delivery or risk this sort of situation happening. If your phone stopped working after pick up I would have just tried giving it back to the restaurant in hopes of a different driver picking it up instead.

JCHandsom

I left out some bits because I thought it wasn't worth mentioning.

Those sound like important bits

Like it's not much of an L if support services said it's okay and you're off the hook. Enjoy the free sushi I guess.

Iolo

I still don't understand why you picked up the delivery and somehow left and drove (for a while apparently) all without even knowing where you were going!

M52B28

Banned
op's food delivery rule is 30 minutes or i steal it
Oh, please. I didn't steal this food. I was pretty much screwed when I got stuck in the restaurant and waiting for the rest of the order.

Phone died. Tried to get the address, couldn't get it, went to two stores, but my phone got stuck in a boot loop and constantly kept dying. That delivery was canceled by the time I got back home and when my phone came back on.

Besides, I don't even like sushi, so why would I steal this shit?

Top Bottom