• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuzo Koshiro on Switch during interview: "Why does this thing even exist, really"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregano

Ancient Corp's Yuzo Koshiro(of Streets of Rage and Etrian Odyssey fame) had some pretty harsh words about the Switch in a recent interview with Polygon:

"If Nintendo is going to keep up with the Switch, I think they'll need cheaper models, or maybe to make them lighter. If they were to do that, it could become a replacement for the 3DS ... but, of course, Nintendo has said themselves that that is not what they're planning to do. It kind of makes me think, 'Why does this thing even exist, really?' In other words, it's a game system that will allow people to enjoy Nintendo games even more, but at the same time, I'm not really surprised by it and don't really feel there's anything novel about it."

It's a really interesting interview though, you should read the whole thing. It goes into the history of Ancient and talks about their future(Which is where Switch came in).

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
The previous thread is half of what's wrong with GAF - not reading past the thread title married with out-of-proportion debate on both sides taking what someone said way more seriously than probably that person himself. If the thread devolves simply into yet another Switch hardware debate, which we have a half dozen other threads for, it doesn't have a reason to exist. Also "Yuzo Koshiro made Etrian Odyssey lol" = tl;dr ban

To the extent that Switch is as much a 3DS successor as it is a Wii U successor, I absolutely wouldn't be surprised to see it get more varied SKUs in the future as the 3DS did - some optimized for weight and thinness, some optimized for a bigger display.

The major complicating factor in introducing a lot of physical variance into future Switch hardware would be JoyCons, I suppose.

I realize that (as Koshiro mentions) Nintendo says the Switch is not a replacement for the 3DS, but of course they've famously said that before about the DS versus the GBA (and, I believe, even the 3DS versus the DS?). Pretty safe to give short shrift to official statements on the matter, I think.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
The Switch is definitely a bit too big to be a "take with you everywhere" portable like the 3DS was, he's right on that point. My 3DS I can slide into my pocket every morning, but the Switch requires planning ahead to bring it along.

The Switch could also definitely use a price drop and some more durable material to push it into being a mass market device, but as long as Nintendo has the 3DS & 2DS to cater to that portion of the market, I don't see much changing with the Switch.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The Switch is a better value proposition at launch than the 3DS was at launch.

Thats one thing most of these hot takes people forget: the Switch WILL get price drops and revisions over time.

Platy

The Switch IS a replacement for the 3DS.

No Company will say "stop buying this it is dead" unless people are already not buying it.

Their mouths say the 3DS is alive but their heart say "mainline pokemon for switch" which means 3DS is in it's dying bed

Nintendo should twilight the 3DS if the Switch is supposed to be the true successor to both the home-console and handheld generations of the past.

I know Switches are $299 in the US (assuming you can even find one), but here in Estonia is about €400 minimum and really all I'd play on it at the moment would be Zelda: BOTW and Disgaea 5 Complete.

Whether or not the Switch will have a wonderful future is a discussion that is irrelevant, the point at the moment is more that Nintendo could do so much more and they're not, and there is an audience of people who are accepting of that.

Edit: The switch is not a replacement for the 3DS until first parties stop making new 3DS games. Feel free to disagree, but you know Pokemon would sell gangbusters if they even just had a port for the Switch, which is MIA at the moment.

SimonM7

One thing that half made me feel this way was the announcement of Metroid Returns for 3DS.

The real promise of Switch, to me at least, is that it'll let Nintendo pool their resources - handheld and home console - into the same platform. The idea being that the would-be 3DS library, your Professors Layton and New Supers Marios Brother and indeed Metroid Returns, join the main line Marios and Zeldas on the same system by default.

It would make one system the go-to place, and allow people to potentially kick back with a Phoenix Wright or... Hotel Dusk or something on the telly, should they choose.

But that would have to be communicated plainly by Nintendo's actions and inspire other developers to follow suit, and it's clearly not Nintendo's intention at this juncture. So we still see the split between the consoles for no reason at all, and third parties will view the Switch as the "stationary" console where they have to make more substantial, more expensive games - which is not true, ideally. Sure, install base for the 3DS is plenty motivation, but I think the Switch would absorb that install base as price gets slashed and it it becomes clear that it's the next Nintendo handheld thing.

If there's a successor to the 3DS in addition to the Switch in a couple of years, I think my head will just detach from my body and hover into the atmosphere from pure bewilderment.

So in a way, I suppose I agree with some of what Yuzo is saying. I just didn't expect to, and I guess there's still time to prove the notion wrong.

I kind of wonder how people in Japan are viewing the Switch. I know it's been really successful there, but is the hybrid part a big part of that or are people cool with it solely as a handheld? I have a feeling Koshiro might be judging it from that perspective. Reading between the lines of what he's saying it seems like he's aware that consoles in Japan are a lost cause and that's his concern.

sinonobu

Banned
Nintendo should twilight the 3DS if the Switch is supposed to be the true successor to both the home-console and handheld generations of the past.

I know Switches are $299 in the US (assuming you can even find one), but here in Estonia is about €400 minimum and really all I'd play on it at the moment would be Zelda: BOTW and Disgaea 5 Complete.

Whether or not the Switch will have a wonderful future is a discussion that is irrelevant, the point at the moment is more that Nintendo could do so much more and they're not, and there is an audience of people who are accepting of that.

Edit: The switch is not a replacement for the 3DS until first parties stop making new 3DS games. Feel free to disagree, but you know Pokemon would sell gangbusters if they even just had a port for the Switch, which is MIA at the moment.

Next Pokemon and Fire Emblem game is going to be Switch exclusive.

Hal is making the next traditional Kirby game for Switch.

Nintendo is already moving away from 3ds.

Socreges

Banned
I guess I first need to understand the premise of what he's saying. "If Nintendo is going to keep up with the Switch" -- what is he actually saying here?

MegaMelon

I think this is an important quote:

They've had recent hits like Splatoon, but looking at the hardware, it seems made for games like Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon ... it seems like they simply wanted to make a system that would allow them to make those games more dynamic, so they could add more expression to their games. They only really want to have people enjoy their own games more. It doesn't really seem like they are being that adventurous with the system.

I think he's coming from the angle that Nintendo has always been trying to do something different and out there but with the Switch he sees the hybrid aspect as holding back the handheld potential of the system. And in the long term he has a point, once Switch stock stabilises, I definitely think there'll be a need to sell a second SKU that is cheaper, maybe without the dock, etc in order to capture that 3ds market.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I kind of wonder how people in Japan are viewing the Switch. I know it's been really successful there, but is the hybrid part a big part of that or are people cool with it solely as a handheld? I have a feeling Koshiro might be judging it from that perspective. Reading between the lines of what he's saying it seems like he's aware that consoles in Japan are a lost cause and that's his concern.

I dont wanna open this can of worms but looking at the Switch as just a console is a very limited view. Its use cases expand beyond that of traditional consoles or handhelds. Its hybrid nature opens up possibilities previously not possible on handheldsor consoles.

ngower

I'm not entirely sure where he's coming from in the lighter models angle. It occupies a middle ground between the iPhone and iPad and is roughly the same weight as the 3DS XL. You could make a case that the system isn't entirely portable insofar as it can't fit into a pant or coat pocket, but you could also argue nothing's been truly portable since the GB Micro.

I find more incentive to take my Switch places than the 3DS. Sure, Streetpass was great, but I *want* to take my Switch over to a friend's and play Mario Kart or ARMS or something...it seems like the entire appeal or intent of the system is lost on Koshiro. Maybe I'm just out of the loop? I dunno.

This might be a weird comparison, but I kinda feel the same way about the Switch as I did about Apple's iPad. In that I thought it was pointless until it was wildly successful and showed that there was a market for "things bigger then a handheld but small enough that you can comfortably hold and use it with just your hands." It's obvious at this point that Nintendo is gearing the Switch towards the console market and not the handheld one, and I think Yuzo here doesn't understand that the midway form factor is a legit major selling point for a lot of people even if it might not be as flashy as the Wii's motion controls or the Wii U's tablet.

Kouriozan

As said previously, the Switch make a lot of sense for Nintendo, they know they can't get 3rd party back that easily so they unified their handheld and home console team, that's why we can get Zelda/Mario/Splatoon/new IP its first year, they will be able to prevent drought that plagued the Wii U and 3DS (the launch year)
It was probably the most logical next step for Nintendo, or they would have gone handheld only and lose market share.

Nintendo is also probably working on a cheaper and smaller model, too.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I think the library of games being built will undoubtedly be used for the 3DS successor as well. A smaller form factor will happen. It might not come before late 2019, and it will definitely depend on how long it takes to find a way to shrink the hardware as well as whether Switch sales keep up. But this library isn't being made to compete with another handheld. As for Nintendo PR, they need to sell everyone on the idea that this can play console games being sold at console game prices, and it helps that they want to keep selling the 3DS line right now to try and differentiate the two, but it's just PR.

I dont wanna open this can of worms but looking at the Switch as just a console is a very limited view. Its use cases expand beyond that of traditional consoles or handhelds. Its hybrid nature opens up possibilities previously not possible on handheldsor consoles.

Oh for sure. I don't agree with what Koshiro's saying because I think he's being myopic by ignoring the audience who prefer consoles to handhelds, or how great it feels to be able to take a console game with you, but I'm just trying to get into his headspace a bit to wonder why this is his perspective.

Falk

that puzzling face
Heyo, quick elaboration since I got a DM already - discussing the Switch hardware itself isn't problematic, especially since it's a comment made by someone ABOUT the Switch.

Just keep it in context that there's no real reason to call other users 'jackasses' just because they feel differently from you, stemming from what a somewhat recognized industry figure said offhand in an interview that wasn't really about it but briefly touched on the subject.

Be nice, etc.

Banned
The Switch is definitely a bit too big to be a "take with you everywhere" portable like the 3DS was, he's right on that point. My 3DS I can slide into my pocket every morning, but the Switch requires planning ahead to bring it along.

The Switch could also definitely use a price drop and some more durable material to push it into being a mass market device, but as long as Nintendo has the 3DS & 2DS to cater to that portion of the market, I don't see much changing with the Switch.
Yeah except the 3DS was a true portable, the switch is a home console you can take on the go. That's how Nintendo has positioned it and marketed it. They've even said it's not a 3DS successor. You're not getting those visuals in a clam shell form factor.

Sounds like he's bitter switch isn't a 3DS2 and is too big.

It is still a bit odd they don't seem pressed to make Switch-ports to go alongside 3DS versions of Ultra Sun and Moon, or Samus Returns

Imagine if Twilight Princess was a Gamecube-exclusive and didn't have a Wii port.

Maybe it would've cost more resources than I'm expecting, but it just seems like they're still being careful about the prospects of the Switch, which isn't exactly helping it gain momentum.

I don't really disagree with him that the Switch will need different models at a lower price point to truly position itself as a successor to the 3DS. But that's a problem for 2-3 years from now, not today. The 3DS is still getting key software and new hardware.

Right now, Nintendo is pushing the Switch as their flagship device while positioning the 3DS as their budget device. It's still a good, viable platform for gamers on a budget, someone looking for a supplementary device that already has a large software library, or parents buying multiple devices for their kids. In that capacity, the 3DS probably has a solid 2, maybe 3 years left to squeeze out of it. But as much as Nintendo keeps saying that it's not a 3DS successor, it's not a 3DS successor, it's a home console you can take on the go, I don't think anyone, either consumers or developers, are fooled. GameFreak certainly knows where it needs to put its next mainline Pokemon game.

odhiex

I am also waiting for the "lighter" and cheaper version of the switch before jumping in. I can wait for 1-1.5 years for that.

Mario Odyssey looks weird and fun.

Oregano

Yes, the confusion and hesitance made sense before they (finally) dropped the Pokébomb. Gamefreak aren't making a mainline Pokémon on something that isn't a handheld and being treated as such.

WonderzL

Banned
About Switch not being a successor to 3DS:

Recent Nintendo 3DS games/announcements:

Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon - enhanced version of a pre-existing game
Metroid - MercurySteam
Hey! Pikmin - Arzest
Ever Oasis - Grezzo
Sushi Striker - indieszero
Fire Emblem Echoes - last Fire Emblem game for 3DS
Atlus games - all DS ports
Kirby Clash Deluxe and the 3D one - eshop games
Dragon Quest 7 and 8 - late localizations
BYE-BYE BOXBOY - eShop
Tank Troopers - eShop
Yoshi - port
Mario Maker - port
Culdcept Revolt- late localization
Yo-kai Watch Physic Specters - late localization
Fire Emblem Warriors - cross w/ Switch
Mario & Luigi - remake
Monster Hunter Stories - late localization

So yeah, no big projects (Miitopia is the only game I didn't mention). People should really expect either a 3DS successor or they fully investing on Switch.

I stick by my post I was about to reply with. Developers' treatment of Nintendo is anomalyous. In the past, that may have been justified. But now, with what looks like their second major success in 10-20 years, instead of working with them they continue to be uncomfortable with anything but the traditional "dudebro gamer sitting in front of a tv playing games for hours" model. Im not saying that has to go away, but come on - Switch is a way better complement to it than I ever would have imagined in a million years until I got my hands on the thing.

Like this:
From the article said:
It doesn't really seem like they are being that adventurous with the system

Not like they risked their entire historical business model in both the handheld space and the home console space by merging the two or anything...

Im sorry, a system is still sold out 3 months after launch and is selling consistently with major releases and rather than asking "how can we utilize this success and push boundaries / try new things", someone is yet again asking of Nintendo "justify to me your device that is selling like hotcakes". I have watched this industry enough to know at this point that some (and the number is more than a few, but far less than all) developers are batshit insane, hold childish and uneducated grudges from the past, and are fanboys themselves. No other system provider regularly has developers questioning them. Even when Microsoft or Sony fuck up royally, this is the type of guy that will tow the line for them. Reminds me of the GOP.

I fail to see how a system "made for nintendos games" invariably creates a barrier to other developers games selling well, unless the games just arent really that great of games in the first place, or are held to a different standard elsewhere.

EMT0

Banned
If this is the person who makes Etrian Odyssey, I'm not surprised they're negative on the Switch. Etrian Odyssey relies on the DS' clamshell/dual-screen setup, so the Switch's lack of two screens may have them sweating bullets.

EDIT: Composer, got it. Still, I can see him not being thrilled by it for the reasons above since his livelihood is likely tied to the series to an extent

The value is simple:

I can play Nintendo games anywhere, anytime, with anyone, and I don't have to buy crappy handheld versions of their games to do so.

I can also play them on my TV if that's what I'd rather do. And I can use whatever controller I want as long as it's supported by the games. I don't need to buy a separate console and handheld with separate games libraries to get experiences of either variety.

If this is the person who makes Etrian Odyssey, I'm not surprised they're negative on the Switch. Etrian Odyssey relies on the DS' clamshell/dual-screen setup, so the Switch's lack of two screens may have them sweating bullets.

He doesn't make the game, he's just the composer. Atlus develops EO.

Koshiro does have a small company (Ancient) which dabbles in game development and the Switch was brought up in the context of what platforms he develops for or is interested in.

He's a composer

People who mention Samus Returns (or Hey Pikmin) are missing the fact that they likely were started in 2015. I don't know if anyone had a Switch dev kit that wasn't named Koizumi, Aonuma, Retro, or Miyamoto at that point. That is the only reason - it is not because they decided oh, we prefer 3ds. It's cause it was barely even NX at that point.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This might be a weird comparison, but I kinda feel the same way about the Switch as I did about Apple's iPad. In that I thought it was pointless until it was wildly successful and showed that there was a market for "things bigger then a handheld but small enough that you can comfortably hold and use it with just your hands." It's obvious at this point that Nintendo is gearing the Switch towards the console market and not the handheld one, and I think Yuzo here doesn't understand that the midway form factor is a legit major selling point for a lot of people even if it might not be as flashy as the Wii's motion controls or the Wii U's tablet.

Actually that comparison makes total sense to me

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Yeah except the 3DS was a true portable, the switch is a home console you can take on the go. That's how Nintendo has positioned it and marketed it. They've even said it's not a 3DS successor. You're not getting those visuals in a clam shell form factor.

It's a shame that we're more or less seeing the death of games that are designed to be portable happening right in front of us.

I don't see the smaller scale projects like Tomodachi Life and Miitopia happening on the Switch because they're not "big enough" to be console games.

Will we still see "small scale" projects of big franchises like A Link Between Worlds, Super Mario 3D Land, and Happy Home Designer? Maybe, but probably not. I can see everything being BotW and Odyssey-scale projects from here on out.

How about games that are properly designed for portable play like Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon? Games that are properly compartmentalized to be enjoyed in small sessions?

I'll really miss the 3DS once its all said and done for. The last bastion of true portable gaming.

It's Nintendo's attempt to bring their handheld and console owners together to a unified platform. That's why it exists. A place to have the next Pokemon RPG, the latest fully 3D open world Zelda and home to countless indie games.

That's why it exists and is the performing so well that stores can't keep them in stock and Nintendo can't make them fast enough.

Hero

About Switch not being a successor to 3DS:

Recent Nintendo 3DS games/announcements:

Pokémon Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon - enhanced version of a pre-existing game
Metroid - MercurySteam
Hey! Pikmin - Arzest
Ever Oasis - Grezzo
Sushi Striker - indieszero
Fire Emblem Echoes - last Fire Emblem game for 3DS
Atlus games - all DS ports
Kirby Clash Deluxe and the 3D one - eshop games
Dragon Quest 7 and 8 - late localizations
BYE-BYE BOXBOY - eShop
Tank Troopers - eShop
Yoshi - port
Mario Maker - port
Culdcept Revolt- late localization
Yo-kai Watch Physic Specters - late localization
Fire Emblem Warriors - cross w/ Switch
Mario & Luigi - remake
Monster Hunter Stories - late localization

So yeah, no big projects (Miitopia is the only game I didn't mention). People should really expect either a 3DS successor or they fully investing on Switch.

Nintendo coming out with another 3DS successor would be the worst decision they could make. They would be better off doing a remodel of the Switch and make it portable only (and/or remove the dock from the SKU) and sell it for cheaper.

I think many people on Gaf has expressed this very same thing when Nintendo announced that they are still going to support the 3DS moving forward. I still think that it's a ridiculous stance to take when you now have two handhelds (one being a hybrid if we want to be technical) but really competing against each other. In a way it doesn't make sense because you would want to transition your 3DS fan base and customer base to a switch seeing as it's still in the same format as a 3DS.

But then on the other hand since the 3DS still has the larger market share, of course they would want to keep it around. I agree with him but I hope eventually Nintendo sees that the switch should be taken more seriously as THE device to have rather than still having the 3DS as a fall back. For me, it still feels like Nintendo is afraid that the Switch may not work out and are still not 100% confident in backing it up until they find this peak that can allow them to officially drop the 3DS. However long that will take is going to be interesting

To the extent that Switch is as much a 3DS successor as it is a Wii U successor, I absolutely wouldn't be surprised to see it get more varied SKUs in the future as the 3DS did - some optimized for weight and thinness, some optimized for a bigger display.

The major complicating factor in introducing a lot of physical variance into future Switch hardware would be JoyCons, I suppose.

I realize that (as Koshiro mentions) Nintendo says the Switch is not a replacement for the 3DS, but of course they've famously said that before about the DS versus the GBA (and, I believe, even the 3DS versus the DS?). Pretty safe to give short shrift to official statements on the matter, I think.

If/when Switch gets an alternate form factor, I wouldn't be surprised to see a microconsole first, simply because that would require less engineering work - they can use the exact same internals, minus the screen and battery. A Switch Lite would probably require a die shrink to maintain the same level of performance and a decent battery life.

Ganondorfo

At least Nintendo still make amazing games. You havent made awesome music since the Actraiser days. Etrian Odyssey music is good, but you are not anymore on your Streets of Rage level.

I can kind of see his point, in terms of how Nintendo is currently positioning it, but I'd argue that's mainly because they don't wanna just kill off the 3DS as it still has a few games in the pipeline and it'd look quite poorly on them if they DID just drop it, like they typically do with their consoles. Once the 3DS is done with, I'm sure Nintendo will position it as their all in one system, especially with previously 3DS-exclusive titles coming to it, like Fire Emblem and Pokemon

It's a shame that we're more or less seeing the death of games that are designed to be portable happening right in front of us.

I don't see the smaller scale projects like Tomodachi Life and Miitopia happening on the Switch because they're not "big enough" to be console games.

I'll really miss the 3DS once its all said and done for. The last bastion of true portable gaming.
Hmm? I don't see why they'd stop making or getting weird, small, and quirky games, if stuff like Captain Toad and Snipperclips are any indication. Nintendo has had cheaper smaller titles for their consoles in the past and I don't see that stopping now unless Nintendo can somehow put out AAA games 24/7, which no major publisher can

Oregano

Nintendo coming out with another 3DS successor would be the worst decision they could make. They would be better off doing a remodel of the Switch and make it portable only (and/or remove the dock from the SKU) and sell it for cheaper.

I think we can lay that idea to rest now. Pokémon would have been the IP to sell a separate handheld with but that's confirmed for Switch. That one sentence from Ishihara cemented Switch's place IMO.

Why not? There's no reason to believe titles like that won't exist on Switch. I mean, it launched with one (Snipperclips).

Shifty1897

I mean, this has been said before, but that whole line about 3DS existing alongside the Switch... they said that about the DS when the GBA was already out. As Switch hardware increases it's number of units sold and becomes cheaper to manufacture, they will start pulling more and more resources from supporting the 3DS and put it onto the Switch.

Switch hopefully will have ~20-30 million units sold by the end of 2018, and that's the time to focus development exclusively for it.

Banned

They can put those games on switch though. Most of those games use larger assets and are toned down for 240p. I just think they're waiting for the install base to grow before they bring them.

Also, $299 is a perfectly justifiable price for a home console.

Sounds like this guy wanted Nintendo to make a Vita+ or something and charge $150 for it.

HeatBoost

I think the designation for what's considered portable or not has been reset by tablets and smartphones

That being said Nintendo probably does plan to slim it down, but I doubt they're in a hurry considering how well it's selling

Cheerilee

I think he's right. Switch isn't throwing anything fundamentally new at the industry, just a nice way to play the games we already know and love. He has a vision for Switch's future which seems obvious (improve it's handheld functionality and lower it's price), yet Nintendo is vocally shooting that idea down and not offering up any alternatives, in terms of how Nintendo sees the Switch growing and changing in the future. That lack of an answer (and Nintendo shooting down his assumption, even) makes him question the fundamental nature of the Switch.

Same sort of thing happened with Shinji Mikami and the original Xbox (which led to him becoming a GameCube-exclusive developer). Mikami asked Microsoft "What's Xbox's philosophy?" and Microsoft couldn't adequately answer that question, so Mikami walked away.

Bronetta

Explain to the rest of us in detail what differentiates a "true portable" from a "fake portable"? I'm baffled this stuff still comes up

MLH

Wow I didn't know he was the president of Ancient (never really thought about who they are other than the Protect Me Knight devs - can't say I've played many of their developed games), seems like he created it initially to make a contract with SEGA. Then I learned he worked on the 8bit Sonic! I thought he just stuck to composing (although it sounds like he still does). It's fascinating that this guy, while owning his own development company probably spends more time composing for other developers, but I guess that's the original purpose.
Overall really informative article
<3 Koshiro and totally get what hes saying about the Switch, And I wouldn't worry about Ancient supporting Switch, they seem like they're interested in bringing Gotta Protectors to the console.
Also, more than likely, Koshiro will be contracted to compose a soundtrack for a Switch game in the future for anyone that's really bother by what's he's saying (why tho lol)

Huh he did this track for PoR cool.

I agree that if the Switch is succeeding the 3DS it needs to be cheaper. Once support stops for the 3DS we'll either see a $200 Switch SKU or another dedicated handheld.

WonderzL

Banned

Yeah, that's what I believe too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom