• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mizuho Securities: PS4 wins NPD

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
Its starting to look like the 360 might have just been lightning in a bottle and may not repeat itself.

Sony has now crushed the competition in 3 of the last 4 gens and tied the 360 last gen even after huge mistakes early on for sony.

Anything can happen but they have a lot of ground to make up both worldwide and in NA if they want to get back to being neck and neck with sony in total sales.
It had a yr head start & was only lightning in a bottle in 2 territories.

The 500gb One S retails for 250. So it was down $60 or $89 with the Target gift card deal. The 1tb PS4 retails for 299 so was down $100 or $150 with the GS gift card. Not really comparable.

PS4 was 249 most of the year on Amazon. Since February 2017 actually.

It had a yr head start & was only lightning in a bottle in 2 territories.

True, even more support for my argument. 4 generations of Sony being at the top, alone for 3 and tied for the other. Imo theres more to it than strategy and pricing, sony has positioned themselves as the company most relied upon for gaming regardless of other factorsand i expect it to continue next gen as well.

mirjitsu

Neo Member
How cute, you think a parent cares what the previous price was.. no they care about the cheapest price.. the 1S was the cheapest console on Black Friday no matter how you spin it. So with that out the way, what made them choose the $10 more expensive console over the other? Figure that out and you have the list of problems Microsoft is facing.

Stop bending over backwards to defend Xbox's failure this NPD.

It's their new console launch month for lord's sake, including several months on end of pre-orders COMBINED with Xbox 1/XB1S fire sale this month, and they still get beat by PS4 sales. It's a completely dire result for MS.

PS4 was 249 most of the year on Amazon. Since February 2017 actually.
If you think a 1TB PS4 reduced by $100 is comparable to a 500GB Xbox reduced by $60 then good for you.

The 1TB PS4 is NOT $249 since Feb. in fact this article is from April announcing the change from 500GB model to 1TB for $299 so at least get your facts straight if you want to call out mine. https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/4/18/15344360/sony-ps4-slim-1tb-hard-drive-announced

thelastword

Banned
Nope nope nope. The PS4 was on fire sale. Half price at GameStop including the $50 gift card. It should have been expected for Sony to come out on top. Comparing the 1tb PS4 to the 500gb one s shows how desperate you are.
Deals were had everywhere with every product, that's the whole point of Holiday sales...The XBOX family even had the advantage of launching a new product with a year+ of pent up demand and marketing and that's the point overall....

As for the bit about 1TB vs 500TB, let's not forget the XBONE-S has a UHD player whilst PS has none, which for all intents and purposes is HUGE according to many XBOX fans and it was a huge mistake by Sony not including it on PS4-Slim and PRO. So it looks like MS had all the advantages going into the holidays.......including the cheaper console and the brand spanking new "pre-order record setting" new console et al.......Deduce?

If you think a 1TB PS4 reduced by $100 is comparable to a 500GB Xbox reduced by $60 then good for you.

Oh, yes it's comparable because it's the same gen. But Xbone at 329$ ( with 50$ giftcard ) during Black Friday 2014 was comparable to PS4 at 399? Oh yes, it was.

The 1TB PS4 is NOT $249 since Feb. in fact this article is from April announcing the change from 500GB model to 1TB for $299 so at least get your facts straight if you want to call out mine. https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/4/18/15344360/sony-ps4-slim-1tb-hard-drive-announced

1TB or not. It is 249 since February.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/02/09/pick-up-select-ps4-bundles-for-249-this-month/

oldergamer

Lol be serious.

XB1X was hyped up for 1 year and this NPD includes months and months of pre-orders and hundreds of millions in marketing and deals. And it still doesnt beat the PS4 even when combined with the XB1 and XB1S fire sale. MS are screwed as their hardware sales are absolutely dire anytime outside these Holiday period months. It's this time of the year that they need to sell gangbusters and dominate in their strongest market. They failed to do it with the XB1 and it looks like they'll fail hard with the XB1X + XB1.

it's a $600 console aimed strictly at hardcore gamers, and you are expecting it to beat out other systems?

"lol be serious"

it's a $600 console aimed strictly at hardcore gamers, and you are expecting it to beat out other systems?

"lol be serious"

You mean 500. Of course 500$ console can't beat other systems, but people expected that paired with Xbone S at 189$ would beat PS4. It didn't happened

"lol be serious"

You're confused. Xbone 1 X COMBINED with Xbone + Xbone Slim was beat out by PS4. But you're right, One X sales were likely pretty pathetic for a new console ;)

Cannot believe Switch sold less than Xbox, I legit only know one person who owns that console over a PS4.

Also there's no way the rrod 50% number is anywhere close to accurate

Unknown?

Cannot believe Switch sold less than Xbox, I legit only know one person who owns that console over a PS4.

Also there's no way the rrod 50% number is anywhere close to accurate
They had over a year of hype and months of preorders for the X. December will likely be way down for them and up for Switch.

Bolivar687

Banned
I had thought with reports of selling out in stores and different SKUs being out of stock a lot for online retailers, Sony may have underestimated demand and Switch would pull of a healthy win. Looks like Sony knew what they were doing and capitalized on the $199 holiday. Staving off what is essentially the first holiday for two new consoles is insane.

I'm highly anticipating Microsoft's spin for the holiday, should be on absolutely legendary levels.

I think you have trouble with basic numbers. The link you quoted are both 500GB bundles and that deal was limited for a month. The article I quoted is 2 months after the one you posted. If you're not going to discuss things in good faith then I'm not going to respond to you anymore.

Maybe i wasn't clear. I clearly wrote : "1TB or not. It is 249 since February. "

Who gives a shit if you qouted article 2 months younger. PS4 was 249 since February. Same thing happened during May or June, limited edition or not, PS4 was 249 and beyond where PS4 dropped to 199$

mirjitsu

Neo Member
Maybe i wasn't clear. I clearly wrote : "1TB or not. It is 249 since February. "

Who gives a shit if you qouted article 2 months younger. PS4 was 249 since February. Same thing happened during May or June, limited edition or not, PS4 was 249 and beyond where PS4 dropped to 199$
No you were clear. You don't know how numbers work (and calendars too by the looks of it). Got it.

It has actually gone back to $299 so I have no idea what you are talking about.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-4-1tb-console-black/5850905.p?skuId=5850905
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756RHL6L/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/consol...mited-edition-call-of-duty-wwii-bundle/153488

No you were clear. You don't know how numbers work (and calendars too by the looks of it). Got it.

It has actually gone back to $299 so I have no idea what you are talking about.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-4-1tb-console-black/5850905.p?skuId=5850905
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756RHL6L/?tag=neogaf0e-20
https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/consol...mited-edition-call-of-duty-wwii-bundle/153488

And so what if PS4s price go back to 299. You talked how you can't compare PS4 at 199 with Xbone S at 189? You're ridiculous. And also you denied that PS4 wasn't 249 during February. Oh yes, it was. It was during April, May and June then during holidays and then pricecut to 199. Was 249 at Amazon a few days ago. It's sold out. Now it is back to 280. Check Target too. Was 249 with 50$ gift card few days ago.

mirjitsu

Neo Member
And so what if PS4s price go back to 299. You talked how you can't compare PS4 at 199 with Xbone S at 189? You're ridiculous. And also you denied that PS4 wasn't 249 during February. Oh yes, it was. It was during April, May and June then during holidays and then pricecut to 199. Was 249 at Amazon a few days ago. It's sold out. Now it is back to 280. Check Target too. Was 249 with 50$ gift card few days ago.
Ok champ.

Caio

Wait wait, Microsoft releases a new hardware, and cannot come on Top in November with this XBox One X ? Not even at home.

PS4 is a true beast, now I just want PS5 in Nov 2020 with a custom Navi10 inside :D

Btw. Check Gamestop in next few days. PS4 will be 249 from 17th Dec. till 24th Dec.

Their argument was ridiculous in the first place. Its about the cheapest console on Black Friday for 2 consoles that are supposed to be seen as equal and that was the Xbox. The margin at which they were discounted is a much smaller factor than the end price being lower.

Top Bottom