• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retronauts Podcast Thread

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I was at the live podcast on sunday. The topic was summer gaming memories. I didn't participate in the audience portion, which went on for like 50 minutes but I had a good time.

Ninjimbo

Now I feel like playing Wario Land 4. Great episode.

The revival has been great thus far. I really enjoyed Jeremy's primer on Prog Rock last week.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Just had to say that the new theme song is really damn cool, great job.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What an interesting episode. Have they ever done a show before where they went in depth about Wario, mechanics and character?

Neifirst

Just came to say that the Wario episode was absolutely fantastic, and I'm definitely going to look into picking up some of the old games on the 3DS eShop. My only Wario experience is with Shake It, which I loved, and they were sort of down on compared to the Game Boy games. Nice to hear Kat Bailey talking about something other than RPGs too.

rjc571

Banned
Just came to say that the Wario episode was absolutely fantastic, and I'm definitely going to look into picking up some of the old games on the 3DS eShop. My only Wario experience is with Shake It, which I loved, and they were sort of down on compared to the Game Boy games. Nice to hear Kat Bailey talking about something other than RPGs too.

I think they're pretty much full of crap regarding Shake It. The game has absolutely brilliant level design that works on multiple layers. It's my favorite Wario Land game by a good margin (although I haven't played 3).

Loved the latest episode. My only exposure to the series was the first Wario Land, and I didn't like what little I played of 4 off my 3DS because of the vast difference. Perhaps if I had the same progression as you guys did then I would feel different.

Enjoyed the latest episode. One technical thing that bothered me was that it seemed a bit too quite. Even when I turned the volume of my phone all the way up I thought it wasn't quite loud enough.

krae_man

Come on Kat, this is the third incarnation of Retronauts. Clearly that would be Retronauts 64.

Edit: Decided to play my ambassador Warioland 4. Game is great. This will be my new Podcast game for the next little while.

I loved the Wario episode. One of my favorites in a long time.

I do wish Bob would slow down a little. He talks like someone with a gun to his head is telling him to hurry.

Jeremy briefly mentioned that WayForward's first Adventure Time game is a good approximation of Zelda II, but is it equally difficult?

Harlock

Bob Mackey, you can not talk about something that you think is too sexual in at least one episode? Just one. Serious. You was rised by your grandmother? Even Jeremy Parish, with all your intellectual Rococo, is not so puritan.

bigkrev

Guys, Jeremy tweeted this out a few days ago

BQNC5c5CcAAc94Z.jpg

Probably not for 2 more weeks, but the return of Sharkey is confirmed!

mattiewheels

Woooo. Needs Sharkey and Kohler for that classic Retronauts feel.

massoluk

Banned
Can you people at retronaut check the sound level and the microphone before proceeding next time? I can barely hear some time. It's either that or turning it very loud

Jeremy, if you read this, please do a Shin Megami Tensei episode. That Persona episode from 2009 was such a tease.

I wonder if one of the podcast topic suggestions from KickStarter was SMT.

Did anybody else here back the KickStarter at all on that tier? Would we even be allowed to say the topic?! O_O

@MUWANdo

Banned
It blows my mind that the Friday the 13th NES game was developed by Atlus!

It's not quite that simple... LJN contracted a bunch of games to Atlus, and then Atlus would sub-contract those games to friends at other studios, or people who'd simply make them on the cheap. I don't think a single one of those Atlus-contracted games was made entirely in-house.

IrishNinja

caught up on new & pocket eps, just got done grabbing all the old ones, kinda working my way backwards! this is my favorite/only podcast, haha...any eps that were you guys' persona highlights? recommend some random ones, im finishing up the TG-16 one in between watching SGDQ

Did anybody else here back the KickStarter at all on that tier? Would we even be allowed to say the topic?! O_O
I got the mini episode tier after someone backed out on one of them. Gave a few suggestions as I wasn't sure what would fit best. I'm going to be interested to see which one they choose.

Also I can't wait for Wrestlenauts whenever that comes up

turnbuckle

Guys, Jeremy tweeted this out a few days ago

BQNC5c5CcAAc94Z.jpg

Probably not for 2 more weeks, but the return of Sharkey is confirmed!

OMG yes

I did, but I never did pick a topic. I'm not sure if it's too late or not, but I couldn't do SMT since I haven't started it yet. Still have the game in the box while I work on Fire Emblem :p
I think the retronauts emails were going to my spam or something since I basically donated and didn't really check back. Been out of the loop, preoccupied.

I actually would love a retronauts that talks about old gaming magazines leading up to the early years of gaming websites. Not sure if that would work out though since that's more about looking back on the industry than a genre or series and may create some kind of conflict of interest.

krae_man

Retronauts Volume III Episode 3: Ninja Gaiden

Hi, it’s Ray. I was bemused that after so many episodes of Retronauts on so many different topics, we never took time to dive into Tecmo’s Ninja Gaiden series. It was one of the best-remembered series of the NES days, and not only did it codify a big part of games (it was arguably the first console action game to incorporate cut-scenes), it owes a bit to its contemporaries, namely Castlevania. And that’s just one of the talking points we go over in this episode.

My intent was to touch on all of the “retro” Ninja Gaiden games, as they’re not just the NES trilogy most people remember. There was the original arcade game, the Game Boy title, some notable ports, and as you’ll find out, a whole other Sega-borne series that Tecmo licensed out. We also talk about some Ninja Gaiden-related media and merchandise. However, we don’t talk much about Tecmo’s rebooted Ninja Gaiden series — though some of you may have been kids when it got started, we weren’t, and why were you allowed to play M-rated games, anyway?!

Direct download (MP3) | SoundCloud | RSS
Find us on the iTunes Store and leave a nice review!

This episode’s breakdown:
0:46 | Digital download discussion (Game Gear VC releases & Final Fantasy VII on Steam)
12:25 | Ninja Gaiden (Arcade)
24:00 | Ninja Gaiden (NES)
39:31 | Ninja Gaiden II (NES)
50:24 | Ninja Gaiden III (NES)
56:39 | Ninja Gaiden Shadow (GB)
1:01:26 | Ninja Gaiden Trilogy (SNES)
1:05:48 | Ninja Gaiden (Game Gear)
1:10:44 | Ninja Gaiden (Master System)
1:14:21 | Ninja Gaiden (Mega Drive)
1:18:19 | Ninja Gaiden anime & Worlds of Power novel
1:24:24 | Haggleman 3
1:27:55 | Closing

I actually would love a retronauts that talks about old gaming magazines leading up to the early years of gaming websites. Not sure if that would work out though since that's more about looking back on the industry than a genre or series and may create some kind of conflict of interest.

Well they did do one on Gamepro.

Top Bottom