• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, best indie jrpg ever, getting a sequel!

Chavelo

And why does this really matters? Am I proibited of stating my distaste for something? I thought this was a forum?

No, what I meant was that perhaps you would of have an easier way to understand that is tongue-in-cheek and should see it as a silly thing.

But, oh well... I guess I rather show my distaste in anime on forums. :/

ONTOPIC: The soundtrack is so damn good. :O

I'll definitely support this and I don't doubt the writing will be top notch, but I wonder if the game will work anywhere near as well without Barkley himself (or another real baller) as the main character. The first game's original content was so JRPGish it was great, but what made it exceptional was that it was all happening with real ballers from real life.

Nah, I just didn't find anything in this game funny at all. I actually like well-made games, being them parodies or not.
Could you give an example of something you find really funny? Just curious.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Never heard of it, but if this is what I think it is, then I have to play it immediately. I just hope that the battle mechanics aren't a big deterrent, because JRPGs are kind of hit or miss for me.

Esura

Banned
I really need to play this one of these days, especially since Schala diggin' it. It always looked like stupid fun when I first saw it few years ago but shit happened and never got to play it.

You just have a very unpopular opinion dude. Get over it.

Or people can chill with the knee jerk responses to unpopular opinions instead of him getting over it.

Never heard of it, but if this is what I think it is, then I have to play it immediately. I just hope that the battle mechanics aren't a big deterrent, because JRPGs are kind of hit or miss for me.
Do you like Paper Mario-style active battle systems? Or Space Jam? How about secret B-Ball dimension coliseums and virtual B-Ball raising?

If you answered yes to any of the above, play the game immediately.

Or people can chill with the knee jerk responses to unpopular opinions instead of him getting over it.

Easily avoided when you take the time to explain your opinion instead of throwing a "horrible" and a "fucking terrible" without any explication whatsoever.

Falxix

Gonna have to bust out the dunkaroos for this sweet occasion.

I hope this can live up to the original. I'm amazed it managed to be as consistently funny as it was.

Maedhros

I'll definitely support this and I don't doubt the writing will be top notch, but I wonder if the game will work anywhere near as well without Barkley himself (or another real baller) as the main character. The first game's original content was so JRPGish it was great, but what made it exceptional was that it was all happening with real ballers from real life.

Could you give an example of something you find really funny? Just curious.

Dudebro. A game made by Gaffers, parody of FPSes and seems to be very well made.

I just don't get what's funny in this one as I can get in that one.

Haunted

Best RPGMaker game I've ever played.

edit: apparently it was ported to GameMaker after starting out as an RPGMaker game, still good.

Holy shit.

This news has me legitimately fucking excited. I was just wondering the other day if the "Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley Saga" part of the title was just a joke or not.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Dudebro. A game made by Gaffers, parody of FPSes and seems to be very well made.

I just don't get what's funny in this one as I can get in that one.
How far into Barkley did you get into, out of curiosity? If you clearly stated your position or said what you didn't like about the parodies or jokes in the game, then other posters would understand your position/opinion better.

*shrug* I don't care if people don't like it. Different people like different stuff. I guess others just require a little rationalization on your part.

Gardios

Will the save points still impart knowledge of the glorious Nippon into our filthy gaijin minds? Because I think I could bear to play the sequel if they didn't.

Alfredo

Barkley, seriously, is probably one of the best "JRPGs" I've ever played. The battle system was legitimately interesting, and the writing was absolutely hilarious.

Of course, I honestly can't tell if the sequel is actually coming, or if Cboyardee is just up to his. Even when the Kickstarter page goes up, I'll continue to remain skeptical.

I'm also a big fan of Cboyardee's other works.

The gameplay in the first game was mediocre at best but the writing was rather funny. However, even aside from Barkley himself, there was IP infringement all over the place. It still remains to be seen if they're capable of making a good RPG with entirely original art & music.

Alfredo

The gameplay in the first game was mediocre at best but the writing was rather funny. However, even aside from Barkley himself, there was IP infringement all over the place. It still remains to be seen if they're capable of making a good RPG with entirely original art & music.

Most of the music was original, outside of stuff like Space Jam, the Blue Dragon song, and Sweet Georgia Brown. And I don't think it'd be that hard to make the characters more original in design. I mean, if Hoopz is still a Streets of Rage sprite, that'd be hilarious, but it wouldn't be hard to redesign him.

"Barkley, Shut Up and Jam" isn't even in the title anymore.
And since he's dead, he might not even be in the game

Most of the music was original, outside of stuff like Space Jam, the Blue Dragon song, and Sweet Georgia Brown. And I don't think it'd be that hard to make the characters more original in design. I mean, if Hoopz is still a Streets of Rage sprite, that'd be hilarious, but it wouldn't be hard to redesign him.

"Barkley, Shut Up and Jam" isn't even in the title anymore.
And since he's dead, he might not even be in the game

I do wonder how the humor will hold up
now that he's dead.
His reactions to just about everything was one of the best parts of the game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I do wonder how the humor will hold up
now that he's dead.
His reactions to just about everything was one of the best parts of the game.
"Are you fucking kidding me, Balthios? We don't got time for this shit. It's a damn love letter. From a snail."
"I am not going to tell the damn snail. I wonder if it reads like he talks. "Stir the deep dark waters of your soul" and all that shit. Just listening to him talk was bad enough."

I loved the
Ghost Dad
and glorious nippon vidcon stuff. Loved it.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Do you like Paper Mario-style active battle systems? Or Space Jam? How about secret B-Ball dimension coliseums and virtual B-Ball raising?

If you answered yes to any of the above, play the game immediately.
Yes (to all three). I hope the game's even more hilarious when reading the dialogue in Barkley's voice.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
And why does this really matters? Am I proibited of stating my distaste for something? I thought this was a forum?

You lack the capacity for humor. You have a tough road ahead.

K.Sabot

I don't know if this will be as good without some real ballers, but I support them for even attempting a b-ball RPG like the first.

demidar

The real question is whether or not they'll have the Space Jam theme in there in some capacity.

They should make you replay the ending of the first game, so the Space Jam theme can get in and to refresh your memory, like what SotN did.

Maedhros

How far into Barkley did you get into, out of curiosity? If you clearly stated your position or said what you didn't like about the parodies or jokes in the game, then other posters would understand your position/opinion better.

*shrug* I don't care if people don't like it. Different people like different stuff. I guess others just require a little rationalization on your part.

Sure. I don't like the graphics, the gameplay, the sprites. I know most of these were proposital to the style of the game, it's just that it looks cheap as hell. Like a RPG-Maker game. I don't like these.

This and I didn't get the humour behind the game. That's why I said it looks terrible.

You lack the capacity for humor. You have a tough road ahead.

Except humour is subjective.

Top Bottom