• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think that people live on for too long?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGoodODST

I think you might want to look at what life was actually like 1000 years ago.

Attitudes like you are talking about stem from a range of historical and socio-economic factors. I think it's pretty condescending to blame that on folk leading what you deem a shit life and living too long.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
I miss the good old days when people got married at 16 and had their mid-life crisis at 20.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I think you might want to look at what life was actually like 1000 years ago.

Attitudes like you are talking about stem from a range of historical and socio-economic factors. I think it's pretty condescending to blame that on folk leading what you deem a shit life and living too long.
You only have to go to the 19th and early 20th century.

Life fucking sucked.

JordanN

Banned
I miss the good old days when people got married at 16 and had their mid-life crisis at 20.

The old days were just like anime.

tumblr_nj9afhFI2A1tk496vo7_250.gif

My downside to aging is the health issues that come along with it. We have modern medicine to extend human life, but we haven't extended the dying process. It's more likely that you'll have some sort of mental health issue like dementia or Alzheimer's, or a frail body unable to heal from small cuts or a broken bone. When people were dying in their 60's and 70's, these issues were more rare. I'd rather know I was most likely going to die before those sorts of issues could set it. It's awful to watch a family member go through it.

There was that topic on here recently about Dementia being a leading cause of death over heart disease in Europe. In America, and I'm sure elsewhere, there's been a push within the medical community to properly "label" the cause of death and not allow for the term of "old age" because there's no set term.
http://www.aplaceformom.com/blog/2-6-2014-what-does-it-mean-to-die-of-old-age/

Once there's a name for something, then the medical community pushes to find a solution to it. We found solutions to heart disease, and now it's not a leading cause of death. What if they do find a solution to Alzheimer's? What other ailments are going to afflict the human body as it ages? When do we allow nature to take it's course rather than trying to direct it?

VDenter

Banned
Actually people should live longer not shorter lives. In fact if there was a button that made my life three hundred years longer or even immortal. I dont think i would hesitate to push that button for even a second. Having life no matter how terrible it is, in my opinion will always be better than potential emptiness forever.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Um, I think you are the edge lord. He was articulate. You are so much edgy reactions.

I don't care how articulate he was, he wonders if maybe it would be better if we died young like when people died out at 35. How am I supposed to take that seriously?

I'm actually in the camp of wishing more people could and would live longer. I may be an incredible pessimist and cynic about our present, but I can't help but hope that we can still right our wrongs and better ourselves in the future.

Also I read this in compelling analysis of what cryonics is and I'm kind of excited about the possibilities now.

CloudWolf

The idea that life expectancy was so low 1000 (or even 2000) years ago is a myth, OP. Sure, the average was lower since there was a huge amount of infant deaths, more wars and certain diseases meant that unless "God" helps you, you're fucked, but you still have tons of people who lived long lives.

So basically, what you're saying is "let's have more wars and just don't help sick people and babies".

I think technology can increase the quality of life for old people in the future. What is not fun about being old is not being able to take care of yourself. A revolution in beds, walkers, wheelchairs and so on, could make life a lot better. If technology could assist someone with dementia in being changed, or help them be able to wash. These are the things that would help on a level that would free up caregivers and caretakers to spend their time on socializing and improving patients lives in other ways.

I've always wanted to work with old people because nobody else seems to want. Society doesn't give a shit about old people. They're done. Fuck em. Put em in the back and watch them die slowly. That's how we treat our old folks, and maybe it cannot be helped. We look to our young and trust them carry us into the future.
I think the reasons why many people are scared of working with old people is with things related to changing them, washing them, changing their diapers. These things are humiliating for all parties involved and a technological revolution of tech that can give old people decency would be highly appreciated.

It doubles as helping people who are disabled as well, but we're all going to be old and shit our pants. It's in all our interests to make life better- If not for others, then at least for ourselves.
I don't like the idea that being old should be depressing. It should be relaxing, reflecting and enjoyable. It should be seen as the stage in your life where you can do things you couldn't when you worked most of your life and your days.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
No, if anything we don't live long enough.

I'm absolutely terrified of death.

I started thinking about it occasionally a few years back, but I find myself thinking about it farrrr more often as time goes on.

Well, I think that society should look after disabled people and not just leave them to die, but in some ways, if you're disabled to the point where you can't do anything at all or enjoy anything at all, yet you were kept alive by technology because "it's the right thing to do" wouldn't you even desire to die yourself instead? That could be an exemplary case of "living too long". It sounds strong but it's a logical conclusion.

People who are active and eat right tend to go from normal living to death rather quickly.
I mean if society believed the truth instead of the lie people would live happy until death. So this idea of living too long is partially created by the greediness of our own society in making people just sick enough to keep them alive.

Eat Low Carb.
Get Your Nutrients.
Perform Weight Bearing Exercise.
Perform Cardio.
Engage Your Mind.
Give and Receive Love and Affection.

The above will allow many people to live more fulfilling lives until death.

Think about it. Do we keep our pets on life support systems and pumped full of drugs for years on end? Nope! All the pets I've had died from accidents or organ failure, they lived pretty happy lives right up until death. They got exercise, good food, and lots of love. Most lived past the median life span according to statistics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom