• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrival |OT| Director Denis Villeneuve, Composer Jóhann Jóhannsson (11/11 wide)

Quick

Banned
Great movie. Just came back from it.

I don't have much else to say about it without giving anything away, but beautiful and emotional are the best two words I can conjure up.

shira

Holy shit!!!!!!

Standing ovation for half the crowd!!!!!

The other half was asking their SO to explain what happened

Master Class

Quick

Banned
Holy shit!!!!!!

Standing ovation for half the crowd!!!!!

The other half was asking their SO to explain what happened

Master Class

I would've joined in on this had my theatre done the same.

All I heard was essentially crowd noise and everyone asking each other "what the hell just happened."

shira

We contemplated getting back in line to watch the next showing.
kunk-rum.gif

Went home, downloaded Stories of your Life from Audible trial.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Biggest flaws of the movie were the unfortunate caricatures, but at least they were minimally invasive.

Yeah, the military and intelligence caricatures that basically acted as naked devices for plot and exposition were a real bummer. You're basically left with Amy Adams and maybe Abbott and Costello as the only actual real characters. The explanation for
her time shifting was also pretty flimsy. It was pretty much just "she can do this now because she learned a basic toddler level of a non-linear language, so now she can tap into the various quantum states of the universe to be able to experience her future memories out of order or something I guess...fuck it, that's a good enough explanation, look at this dying girl." I actually figured that out a while before the movie actually told you outright, but I was hoping that it would be delivering a more concrete explanation than "reasons, just go with it."

Aside from those points, though, it was pretty darn good, and I like that it took a unique approach to a pretty familiar concept, and the
circular language
was a pretty cool and interesting idea in and of itself that I haven't really seen done like that before. I also thought the first half of the film was the most effective. It did a great job of dragging out the mystery and building intrigue, deliberately keeping the information that you really wanted to know just out of reach. Great, subtle, seamless effects work, too. It's hard to make an alien movie feel grounded in reality, but this somehow did it.

jtb

Banned
Loved it from start to finish. Flawed and uneven, but in a way that just makes the film even more compelling for having taken big risks.

Just got back from the movie. I really, really liked it.

The aliens reminded me so much of the Trafalmadorians from Slaughterhouse Five

Dahbomb

I would've joined in on this had my theatre done the same.

All I heard was essentially crowd noise and everyone asking each other "what the hell just happened."
Yeah this was my crowd too.

Great movie though, was right up my alley.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
For those who have read the short story, how similar is the film? I'm debating on whether to read it before seeing the movie this week, but if it's gonna be a straight plot summary of the film I'd rather not.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I really want to watch this movie but my local theather doesn't have it and i would have to travel to another city to watch it, it not's too far but it would mean going alone. I love this director so i may say screw it.

For those who have read the short story, how similar is the film? I'm debating on whether to read it before seeing the movie this week, but if it's gonna be a straight plot summary of the film I'd rather not.

It's only like seven pages long. I would go into the movie cold if I were you. The ending is some Inception-level shit and wouldn't hit as hard if spoiled beforehand. The movie is very much a visual experience and adds much more to the somewhat thin plot of the short-story. I think this is one of the few cases where the movie is better than the"book" it's based on.

Pickman

Unless I'm remembering the movie wrong, didn't they show the daughter dying at the very beginning? With her being depressed and walking into her class room/office/house? Before the Arrival and before the language exposure? Didn't they deliberately mislead the audience? For a while I thought she had a second child, and she was witnessing a whole new set of things to come for her. Then my own mother had to explain it to me.

I think they were just showing her as a very lonely woman.

shira

People do this ?

Opening night in Canada for a Canadian director for a super hype movie.

Usually only happens for stuff like Star Wars and Dark Knight, but yeah people are getting up to leave and if enough people liked it they will join in. Conversely never happens for Marvel movies since there is almost always a post-credit scene.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I didn't really care for it. Not nearly enough first contact science for me. And Forrest Whitakers accent was very distracting. Beautiful film though, and very emotional
since I have 2 little kids
. But damn, it was dark! Not just tonally, but very underlit. Damn near blinded myself walking out of the theater. Ultimately, just like Sicario, I dont think the payoff justifies the buildup.

I want this director to do Blindsight by Peter Watts!

I think they were just showing her as a very lonely woman.

I think it was just a lil misdirection to have you think it was the past. A little manipulative but it did have me wondering how it was all going to tie together and they really delivered.

denx

Just got back from seeing this. This is probably my favorite movie of 2016. The central theme of the movie
(how language shapes our thoughts and the way we perceive reality)
has fascinated me for a long time, and I also really like first contact stories
and time travel stories
so it all fell into place for me.

It was OK. I kinda felt bad I talked one friend into it even though I knew they wouldn't like it and I was right. I could've waited for the home release, because at points I felt guilty for recommending it. So I might like it more on a repeat viewing.

Jarmel

Banned
Great film, exceptionally well directed. There are some minor flaws with it but again they're minor. It's best to go into the film cold so I don't want to write a lot about it.

Cinematography early on was so good, strong use of blacks. The sound direction was really stellar, you can tell the crew paid a lot of attention to that which is fitting considering the film is about language and audio.

watershed

Banned
Very solid. Beautiful visuals, great audio design. Mostly well handled pacing and plot, some minor issues. Really good emotional punches throughout.

Really enjoyed it but I tilted my head at the way that Amy Adams' character
convinces the Chinese General to stand down
The movie kind of sets up
time as being as being linear and defined. If she learned his wife's dying words in the future to cause that future isn't that paradoxical? Her memories if you can call them that are restricted to a timeline in which she gets with Renner and has a child and the child dies of a rare illness. If they had shown her seeing all kinds of stuff that'd be more in line with a multiverse theory but that's not what we have here. Also the way she finds out was weirdly on the nose, "You told me my wife's dying words","Oh yeah, here's my private number." What?

Great movie otherwise.

shira

It was OK. I kinda felt bad I talked one friend into it even though I knew they wouldn't like it and I was right. I could've waited for the home release, because at points I felt guilty for recommending it. So I might like it more on a repeat viewing.

I can totally see that happening. Either you get it or it's like wtf happened

B cinemascore. smfh

I can totally see that happening. Either you get it or it's like wtf happened

B cinemascore. smfh

Me and another friend got it, but the third didn't.

As for the score, I can see why. The marketing doesn't help the film at all with the general audience. It portrays something that really isn't there unless you do some research and see this is some high concept, intellectual sci-fi film.

watershed

Banned
The whole movie felt like a better executed, more emotionally centered Christopher Nolan film. The build up, the teases and reveals, the ending montage all felt like they were taken out of the Nolan cinematic vocabulary but used to tell a story with much more heart.

shira

The whole movie felt like a better executed, more emotionally centered Christopher Nolan film. The build up, the teases and reveals, the ending montage all felt like they were taken out of the Nolan cinematic vocabulary but used to tell a story with much more heart.

I really like the analogy.

Came in with minimum expectations, came out really impressed. Great film!

Came in with sheepish expectations, then expectations kept going up and Villeneuve kept pace. It was really satisfying.

I must see this again.

Jarmel

Banned

Yea it does feel like a better version of a Nolan film.

denx

time as being as being linear and defined. If she learned his wife's dying words in the future to cause that future isn't that paradoxical? Her memories if you can call them that are restricted to a timeline in which she gets with Renner and has a child and the child dies of a rare illness. If they had shown her seeing all kinds of stuff that'd be more in line with a multiverse theory but that's not what we have here. Also the way she finds out was weirdly on the nose, "You told me my wife's dying words","Oh yeah, here's my private number." What?

Great movie otherwise.

The movie never made any attemps to suggest the existence of multiverses. I think it was shown pretty clearly that in the world of this movie the future is already set, and while we can change and alter minor things, we can't change how the bigger stuff (like having a child) is gonna play out. Also the characters that learn the alien language don't perceive time as a straight line, but as a circle. Circles don't have beginnings and ends, so that's why I can sort of buy the idea of a stable time loop when it comes to Louise learning the final message of the chinese general's wife.

Didnt love this movie like most, but I will say everything about the first encounter sequence was A+. The dramatic build-up by placing us directly in Dr. Banks shoes, by having only as much information as she does, the behind the head shots with the deep focus of all the background activity, the superb physical performance of Amy Adams, Bradford Young's wonderful photography, that great alien droning sound from Johann Johannsson, the fantastic CG for the alien ship and the aliens themselves, how the quiet tension is interupted by very specific noises on the sound design(the sudden jolting grab of Weber on Banks' suit, the bird chirping). Its hard not to invoke Kubrick because of the 2001-esque black monolith, but there's an exactness in all the elements of craft to create a very specific tone or feeling Villeneuve wants the audience to experience. Just a lot of things working in unison to create a really awesome sequence. And I mean "awesome" in the original sense, that it inspires awe. I cant remember the last time an alien meeting seemed so ominous.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Just came out of this movie. Incredible experience and leaves me thinking

3rdman

Yeah, the military and intelligence caricatures that basically acted as naked devices for plot and exposition were a real bummer. You're basically left with Amy Adams and maybe Abbott and Costello as the only actual real characters. The explanation for
her time shifting was also pretty flimsy. It was pretty much just "she can do this now because she learned a basic toddler level of a non-linear language, so now she can tap into the various quantum states of the universe to be able to experience her future memories out of order or something I guess...fuck it, that's a good enough explanation, look at this dying girl." I actually figured that out a while before the movie actually told you outright, but I was hoping that it would be delivering a more concrete explanation than "reasons, just go with it."

Aside from those points, though, it was pretty darn good, and I like that it took a unique approach to a pretty familiar concept, and the
circular language
was a pretty cool and interesting idea in and of itself that I haven't really seen done like that before. I also thought the first half of the film was the most effective. It did a great job of dragging out the mystery and building intrigue, deliberately keeping the information that you really wanted to know just out of reach. Great, subtle, seamless effects work, too. It's hard to make an alien movie feel grounded in reality, but this somehow did it.
If I recall correctly
her bouts with time don't begin until she decides to remove her hazmat suit. Its possible that simply being the first person to expose herself to the alien atmosphere changed her. The only thing I'm a little unclear on is Hannah...was she the weapon?

Great movie otherwise.

The sequence with General Shang in the future had a very David Lynch dream feel to it. The way Shang was giving Louise information seemed to imply that he knew that she needed it. "For some reason I feel like it is important that I tell you this" or something along the lines of what he said. I'm expecting time shenanigans where he learned the language in the future and was able to perceive time the same way as Louise.

3rdman

The sequence with General Shang in the future had a very David Lynch dream feel to it. The way Shang was giving Louise information seemed to imply that he knew that she needed it. "For some reason I feel like it is important that I tell you this" or something along the lines of what he said. I'm expecting time shenanigans where he learned the language in the future and was able to perceive time the same way as Louise.
We are assuming that only Louise was the only one given the gift of circular memory... Louise was "1 of 12". Perhaps Shang was also given the gift? Perhaps the gift was given to a person at each landing site?

If I recall correctly
her bouts with time don't begin until she decides to remove her hazmat suit. Its possible that simply being the first person to expose herself to the alien atmosphere changed her. The only thing I'm a little unclear on is Hannah...was she the weapon?

^
No, the "weapon" is just the language/way their minds behave, because they came to Earth to ask for help in 3000 years since they can see the future. Louise now can see time non-linearly like them. The aliens are helping humanity, so they can return the favor one day. A "Win-win" :p I think people having the confusion of Hannah being the weapon is coming from when she has the "flashbacks" about learning why her husband left her, at this point it almost seems like a future segment of a new child (With us still believing she had a child who died in the past) with this possibly being a second child before revealing Hannah is the one and only child. At first you can think what she told her husband was that Hannah will help the aliens or something when in reality it's just that Hannah is going to die of cancer one day and they can't stop it. "Daddy doesn't look at me the same" goes in the direction of her being a weapon until we learn and know Hannah is the only child and is in the future.

Overall thoughts with no spoilers below, but go see the movie and get your own opinion, Don't let mine change your expectations.

Holy hell I needed this movie now. What an absolute masterpiece, loved every minute of it. I'll wait till re-watching it again but this may of topped my previous favorite movie of all time. Really need to check out the short story now, I did not expect to be this impressed but Denis Villeneuve CONTINUES to not stop making amazing movies.

3rdman

^
No, the "weapon" is just the language/way their minds behave, because they came to Earth to ask for help in 3000 years since they can see the future. Louise now can see time non-linearly like them. The aliens are helping humanity, so they can return the favor one day. A "Win-win" :p

I thought the same but the scene in which Louise is telling Hannah about her illness changed my mind. Louise specifically mentions Renners reaction as a "bad deal". It made me wonder if Hannah's life was somehow the payment in exchange for the gift (weapon). In any case, great movie...loved it!

I thought the same but the scene in which Louise is telling Hannah about her illness changed my mind. Louise specifically mentions Renners reaction as a "bad deal". It made me wonder if Hannah's life was somehow the payment in exchange for the gift (weapon). In any case, great movie...loved it!

Hmmm, if it was I don't know or remember if anything pointed to it being an exchange. The only thing I can see is that Louise being exposed to their atmosphere could maybe result in a child having incurable cancer? Even then idk I think ultimately it's just a sad story that goes along with the idea of being able to see both the beginning and the end, yet you still want to go through with it. She even asks Ian this, about changing something even if you knew where you ended up. Hannah is someone who she knows the beginning and end of, imagine that, you know how your child will die even when you've never even had them yet. But you still want to have them. Either way i think the message works even if there was some sort of exchange. Seeing time non-linearly allows her to stop the Chinese general and the rest. perhaps the exchange is just, cool you have this amazing ability, also now you get the burdan of witnessing both the future and past. So in theory, there is an exchange, but only just that you live with that burden and possible pain now. I don't think Hannah was ever not going to have cancer, just that now Louise will always know how and when her daughter dies, not that the aliens needed that to give her the ability. But this movie has a lot of stuff to think about especially considering it's not just an Alien movie, it's a time travel movie. Next step is multiverses lol

edit - I need to stop editing so much after posting lol keep adding on and on and on.

No, there wasn't any "exchange." Ian divorced Louise because she told him about their daughter getting cancer in the future. Her daughter died because life was just being life. The aliens had nothing to do with it other than being the reason she was probably born in the first place.

Top Bottom