• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will you tell your kid/future kid that Santa is real?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoKKeR

Man I held on to the dream of Santa for a long ass time... Perhaps a bit embarrassingly so, haha.

Regardless, I don't hold it against them or anything like that. It's ultimately up to the parents but if you celebrate Christmas I don't see the harm.

sphinx

the piano man
The idea that you would even have to sit your kid down and have a serious conversation about it is silly.

my parents had to break it up to me in that awkward conversation mentioned in the OP, when I was 7.

me: err... why would you lie to me all these years?
parents: we wanted you to believe in something nice and enjoy chritsmas.
me: but...why make someone believe in something that isn't real? what's the point?
parents:.. shrug.

I guess I was just too stupid at that age to figure it out by myself.

er whatever, I guess I took it the wrong way, of course there was no ill-intent from my parents so it's just a funny, curious thing from the past

OldMan

Banned
640.jpg

Apoc29

You can tell them that Santa Claus is based on a real person named Saint Nicholas who lived hundreds of years ago and gave gifts to children, and we honor his memory by dressing up like him in malls across America.

Now if they get pissy because they're missing out on one lousy gift, they're just ungrateful little assholes.

Chichikov

To a degree, yes. Which is precisely what this phenomenon is playing off of - that they are in a transitional state where their critical reasoning skills aren't honed to the point where they wouldn't pick up on the obvious cues that would make Santa seem fake.
Isn't that a separate issue though?
Kids believe most of what their parents say at that age, it's not really make believe.

"Never lie" is a nice aphorism to aspire to, but the way you bandy it about seems less critical than you'd hope one using it would aspire to. You've made it apparent that you don't think people should "lie" to their kid, and you have made it clear you think this is a lie. What you haven't yet explained is why you think this particular lie is egregious. I get it - you think people should never lie, you don't consider it a virtue. But the reality is that lies are a part of life, and part of social tact is being able to navigate lies and even discern when to lie yourself.

Here's a good analogy - say someone plays a prank on someone else. Are you the guy who refuses to go along with a prank?

I guess that angle is precisely why I don't see this as a terrible, awful thing - it's teaching social cues and tact. It allows older kids to experience being part of the "in-crowd," as they are in on the "joke." I remember when I found out santa wasn't real, and my mindset shifted to watching my words to make sure I wasn't spoiling the surprise for any kids who still believed. It's sort of a social grooming exercise.
I don't think you should never ever lie, I specifically said that I think there are exceptions to this.
And I don't think it's an egregious lie or anything, far from it, I think this is mostly harmless, I just think that you need a good reason to lie to you kids, and I'm not sure I'm seeing it here. As I said, I think the truth that your parents loves you very much and buys you gifts is cooler than an magical old man in the sky who reward good behavior with material gifts.

Mm, but isn't being non-relgious at odds with growing up in a jewish household? Presumably, lots of tradition is rooted in religion, even if you are practicing a secular lifestyle, right?
No.
Being Jewish can mean two things - following the Jewish religion or being of Jewish descent. I'm the latter. You can ask why the fact that my great great grandparents where at some point religious Jews is a terribly important distinction, and that's a good question actually, but it's probably better saved for a different thread.

Keri

I absolutely plan to tell my child that Santa is real. I loved the idea of Santa as a child and I think it's an incredible "game" to share with them. Also, I didn't harbor any resentment towards my parents when they told me the truth, so I hope for a similar reaction from my child. I recognized it as a fun thing that we all pretended together and learning the truth (but being told not to break it to younger children) felt like I was growing up and being let in on the secret.

Edit: I think its way more important to be honest with your child about stuff that matters like sex and mistakes you made growing up. My parents were very open with my and my brother and I've always respected that. I never look back and think: "Well they were honest about drugs and sex, but they're still nothing but liars, because of Santa!"

Krejlooc

Banned
Isn't that a separate issue though?
Kids believe most of what their parents say at that age, it's not really make believe.

The "lie" doesn't come from just their parents, though. All (or I guess, more accurately, most) of society is in on it. It's a bit different than your parents teaching you in private that the world is flat to fuck with you. This is a societal conspiracy.

I just think that you need a good reason to lie to you kids, and I'm not sure I'm seeing it here. As I said, I think the truth that your parents loves you very much and buys you gifts is cooler than an magical old man in the sky who reward good behavior with material gifts.

Well, the overwhelming reason you're hearing in this thread is that the reason people do it is because they believe their kids will enjoy the lie, and those feelings seem to stem from people remembeing enjoying the "lie" themselves as a kid.

To your second point - those aren't mutually exclusive ideas, though. I got presents from santa and my parents (and brothers and sisters, too).

No.
Being Jewish can mean two things - following the Jewish religion or being of Jewish descent. I'm the latter. You can ask why the fact that my great great grandparents where at some point religious Jews is a terribly important distinction, and that's a good question actually, but it's probably better saved for a different thread.

I apologize, I really didn't understand your distinction. I didn't mean any offense.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
We always did.

At the same time we made sure some gifts had from mom n dad. Over time less gifts were from Santa and more were from mom n dad.

By the time we decided they were old enough to know it wasn't that big a deal.

Like the tooth fairy, easter bunny, etc. With them it was even less of an issue.

Big Nikus

Why what's the point in it? Santa takes credit away from parents working their ass of to give them presents. It would make more sense to teach about that rather than some make believe character based on a 200 year old Saint.

My mom always made me feel shitty by telling me how expensive were the gifts they bought and how I'd better appreciate them. That's great right.

I would, it's part of the fantasy that creates great moments in childhood. It's like a fairytale, something make-believe that brings joy. I don't see the harm. If you raise your child well enough, once they find out santa's not real, they should still appreciate your efforts. It's about rewarding good behaviour, not just about the gifts. If you don't spoil your child, it should be fine.

Sesha

Just tell them that Mr. Santa and Ms. Santa divorced, and that Mr. Santa took it really hard. So he said, "I don't want to give presents anymore. From now on I'm looking after number one". So he shaved his beard, got a tan, started coloring his hair blond, married a younger woman. Ultimately he then ran for office and got elected president. Oh, and he stopped going by his Santa moniker and instead went back to his legal birth name of Donald John Trump.

We told our kids that there was no such thing as Santa from the jump.

No way that we're going to allow a fictional character take credit for what my wife and I, and our parents have done.

Of course I'll let them believe it. If it gives them a reason to be good and I can pull the "Santa's watching" card when they're being dicks then I'm all for it. I have no problem lying to my kids.

Chichikov

I apologize, I really didn't understand your distinction. I didn't mean any offense.
Non taken.
It's quite a common distinction by the way, for example, Larry David and Carl Sagan are Jewish but not religious. You can read more about it here.

As for the other stuff, I doubt we'll come to an agreement, and wasn't really my goal, I was trying to understand where people are coming from, and I think you articulate your position quite well.

p.s.
I do take minor exception at you putting scare quotes around "lie", telling someone Santa is real is a lie, straight up. But that's a minor pedantic point.

Supast4r

I'll tell them he's just pretend reason to get you presents. It's a way to make kids think they are constantly being watched so they will be good around that season. I would alsotell them I'm agnostic but that they are free to believe what they want to.
Shouldn't they already feel watched because you are their parents? Why should you have to make up a fictions figure for this to happen?

Why what's the point in it? Santa takes credit away from parents working their ass of to give them presents. It would make more sense to teach about that rather than some make believe character based on a 200 year old Saint. The idea that there is some dude who magically makes things undermines the work that it took to get those gifts.

Seeing my daughter getting excited for Santa and the joy when she gets her presents is worth way more to me than getting credit for buying them.

Not only would you be spoiling your kid of the Christmas fun, but your kid would be that one annoying friend we all had in the past, telling everyone in the playground Santa isn't real. Don't be that parent with that kid.

If I ever decide to destroy my beautiful uterus for a new tiny human, I probably wouldn't tell them anything until they became curious enough themselves to ask or snoop to figure it out.

Crayon

I'm going to tell them that Santa is a man who can see if you are naughty or nice. And if you are naughty, he will break in and switch out your presents for shitty wooden toys.

platakul

Banned
Sorry no. On christmas my 3 year old and 18 month old read Dawkins and Hitchens. They believe in reason. We have frank discussions about the great harms of the world like colonial mindsets and unfettered free market capitalism

weekev

Banned
As a father of 2, the Santa fantasy is brilliant. It brings magic into this time of year and the look on their face when they see that Santa has been is amazing. I can't think it would have the same effect if they knew the toys under the tree were only from friend and family. I get a kick out of sending them replies to their Santa letters and letting their imaginations run wild with thoughts of what the elves are doing to wrap their present. If a twinkle in the night sky is Santa doing a practise run and everything that goes with it.

Santa may not be real but he does make the season magical and I'm cool with that.

Yes so they can enjoy the fun while it lasts before they outgrow it.

It's like if a child asks you what happens when someone dies.

Do you tell them that people go to heaven or instead, they just die and there's nothing more to it besides decomposition of the body?

While I don't like peddling lies; sometimes the psyche is more important for your child. Later on you can tell them the truth and why you lied at the time.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I think I would tell them the story but I wouldn't try to pass it off as real. It would just be a bedtime story like everything else.

The story can be good fun. The whole thing about setting up their expectations and knocking them down later is not.

Lol I remember as a young kid I didn't fall for the santa myth and told my friend at his house that "you know santa isn't real right?". His father wasn't too pleased and on the side had to let me know not mention that to his son.

Talents

Banned
Probably let them find out on their own. Like I went to Lapland when I was 6 and at one point families went into Santas hut one at a time and he ended up giving me a Wolverine toy. Think it was that point I realised Santa wasn't real as I fucking hated X-Men and Wolverine.

I think its way more important to be honest with your child about stuff that matters like sex and mistakes you made growing up. My parents were very open with my and my brother and I've always respected that. I never look back and think: "Well they were honest about drugs and sex, but they're still nothing but liars, because of Santa!"

This is where I'm at. When I was toying with the idea of having kids in my late 20s I was against the Santa idea because it was a lie and I wasn't going to have MY kids be a party to some ridiculous farce. And then I got older and remembered that whatever I think about Santa now, I really enjoyed it as a kid and finding out he wasn't real didn't come as a betrayal or some horrible warping of my child mind. It's a harmless tradition, especially if you don't go nuts with it (thinking one gift from 'Santa'?). I plan to teach my daughter that the idea of Christmas is about being kind, charitable, and giving to others, etc., but I won't deprive her of the joy of Santa. Being a kid is supposed to be about fantasy and wonder.

And I agree with Keri. It's more important to be honest with your kids about the stuff that really matters like sex, drugs, alcohol, etc.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Seeing my daughter getting excited for Santa and the joy when she gets her presents is worth way more to me than getting credit for buying them.

This so much. When its put out there that Santa is real by others, why not just play along until you feel the time is right to tell them the truth?

Not only would you be spoiling your kid of the Christmas fun, but your kid would be that one annoying friend we all had in the past, telling everyone in the playground Santa isn't real. Don't be that parent with that kid.

Damn...this too.

entremet

I don't think pushing the concept of Santa in itself is the concern. My parents did it was well and they are not remotely religious. My concern is in the idea that it's then taken further by many parents and used to help introduce the idea of a God like figure that you are expected to believe in based largely on faith. I know the concern sounds silly on the surface level which is why I've never given it too much deep thought, but there is still a kernel of concern about it in my mind that I can't shake.

I actually brought it up to the miss after I posted and we agreed that the concept of Santa can be enjoyed without the lying part. Bringing it into a home as a fun story without trying to make kids believe it's real.

I mean, that's a separate discussion because many parents are going to inform their worldview on their children by osmosis alone.

And to them, it's not really lying if we're talking about religious faith.

But again that's a whole 'nother can of worms.

My parents did the "Santa is a manifestation of the spirit of giving inside of all of us" thing.

It actually worked, IMO. Makes you realize there's more to faith than just hoping you go to heaven and get rewarded. There's an effectual truth as well that can make people better than they were without it.

aceface

The other day my kids said to me "Dad, Santa has to be real because you couldn't afford all those presents," heh.

But it goes to why I like the Santa thing at least when the kids are young. I'm stingy with gifts and treats the whole rest of the year and Santa allows me to spoil them for one day without the gifts being from me, so to speak. I mean, they are good kids, I like getting them toys and video games, but they know it's a once a year thing so they don't expect me to buy them every little thing they want all the time. With the toys being from "Santa" it reinforces the special nature of it. Even as they get older and realize that it's me buying them those gifts they will still know that a $60 video game is not something I would buy them normally but something Santa would bring at the end of the year. Anyways that's the way I look at it but I'm kind of muddling through his parenting thing as I go along and I think whatever people feel is best when it comes to Santa they should do.

Dude Abides

Banned
I was telling my two year old about Santa the other day and she got very upset that some stranger was going to break into her apartment at night.

Air

Banned
My parents did the "Santa is a manifestation of the spirit of giving inside of all of us" thing.

It actually worked, IMO. Makes you realize there's more to faith than just hoping you go to heaven and get rewarded. There's an effectual truth as well that can make people better than they were without it.

I can work with this.

Edit: Yeah, I like this view a lot.

Daingurse

If I ever have kids I'll pretend Santa is real. Same thing with the Tooth Fairy as well. I remember having fun with that as a kid.

aceface

If I ever have kids I'll pretend Santa is real. Same thing with the Tooth Fairy as well. I remember having fun with that as a kid.

The tooth fairy is hard to pull off. My kids picked up on that one early on. It's really hard to stealthily get a tooth from under a sleeping kids pillow.

Ascenion

Santa is absolutely real and my kids will not be deprived of that joy. Lighten up guys, if you actual think you will never lie to your kids you're lying to yourself. Plus when you tell them Santa isn't real you make other kids lives suck because they tell their friends. If you're gonna be a unfun parent at least make sure your kid isn't a meany and ruins it for others. Keep it to yourself.

Dan-o

Yes, my kid believes in Santa. I tell my kid that the reason other kids don't believe is because their parents and grandparents were SO naughty, that Santa vowed to never give them presents ever again, and those families hide this truth by buying presents and pretending they're from Santa so as not to let on to the fact that their family is doomed to a Santa-less future for eternity.

But she's 3 so she doesn't know what the fuck I'm talking about, and just wants a goddamn Puppy Surprise.

LaMagenta

I always knew Santa wasn't real but it was fun to watch movies and stuff. I was actually just telling my fiance that i didnt want to lie to our future kids about it but i just realized we kinda do pretend santa is real for my niece and nephew. Like they know we give them presents and then there is also gifts from santa. I wouldn't push the idea tho, if they start asking if he's real just give them a little smirk. They'll figure it out and understand its for fun

Mine are 9 and 7. Still believe. I guess, to me so far. I'm sure by this point the kids around school are all talking about it and making fun of the kids who do.

But, to this point, they haven't outright said anything to me. And they won't even notice the giant boxes of presents I put in the car to take to my moms. Or say "hey, why is that the same wrapping paper we have in the garage?" or "Hey this writing looks like Dad's".

(We had done the brand new, hidden, fancy wrapping paper, writing to/from cards with my off hand, etc, before, then kinda broke away from that as of maybe last year.)

MY parents used to have it that Santa also put up and decorated the tree. So, all of a sudden, everything was set up on Christmas morning.

Kirye

I told my daughter about Santa. I want her to figure it out on her own, also I want her to try and sneak a peek at her presents when I'm not around. All a part of being a kid!

Shmuppers

Yeah, probably. They'll figure it out when they're older, and when they're older than that they'll understand why we let them believe.

bosseye

We told our kids that there was no such thing as Santa from the jump.

No way that we're going to allow a fictional character take credit for what my wife and I, and our parents have done.

I don't quite get this line of thinking. Being desperate to ensure a child young enough to belive in Santa is fully aware of the financial outlay and effort you've gone to on their behalf just seems a bit.....ehhhhhhhh. Can't think of the right word. Immature? Pointless? I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom