• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Community Thread | Together We Ride

Chrom

Fire Emblem GAF National Anthem

Come, join us on Discord!

fireemblemotzmsfz.png

Hello and welcome to the NeoGAF Fire Emblem Community Thread, home to any and all fans of Fire Emblem. Whether you're a newcomer or a series veteran, this thread is for discussion of all things Fire Emblem!

Before anything else, a friendly reminder for everyone: Follow the TOS! That means let's remember to have everything in good fun for everyone. Other than that, also remember to show courtesy when discussing spoilers, as not everyone has finished every game!

There are currently 14 games in the main series and counting. Here's a rundown of each and every one of them to get everyone up to speed.

The Fire Emblem Series

Famicom Era

series01srpu0s.jpg
series02slru5k.jpg

FE1: Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light
ファイアーエムブレム 暗黒竜と光の剣
April 1990 (JP)

Long ago, a fabled hero saved the continent of Archanea by slaying the evil dragon Medeus. Now Medeus has returned and seeks to rule the world, and it's up to Prince Marth of Altea to gather a group of stalwarts to fight for his land and restore peace to the nation.

This is the original Fire Emblem game that started it all, and marks the debut of Marth of Super Smash Bros. fame.

FE2: Fire Emblem Gaiden
ファイアーエムブレム 外伝
March 1992 (JP)

Valentia is a continent governed by two opposing theocracies, Rigel and Zofia. Two young heroes of Zofia, Alm and Celica, are burdened with the task of fighting back against Rigel and the Dark God Duma when their kingdom, the followers of Earth Goddess Mila, is under attack.

The second entry in the series, Gaiden introduces many new and unique gameplay mechanics that set it far apart from almost every other game.

Super Famicom Era

series03shiua1.jpg
series04sz9uju.jpg
series05shvu8h.jpg

FE3: Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
ファイアーエムブレム 紋章の謎
January 1994 (JP)

The Holy Empire of Archanea suddenly begins invading other territories, and Marth's homeland of Altea falls to the Empire. Marth must once again stand up against the odds and reclaim his kingdom, as well as unravel the mystery behind what's causing all this trouble.

Mystery of the Emblem is notable for essentially containing two games in one: an abridged 16-bit remake of the original Fire Emblem game, and a whole new sequel that continues the story of Marth's adventures.

FE4: Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War
ファイアーエムブレム 聖戦の系譜
May 1996 (JP)

Hailing from the dukedom of Chalphy, Sigurd finds himself trying to maintain peace across the continent of Jugdral, only to fall into a situation in which his future son, Seliph, must finish what he had started and end the ploys of the Loptyr Empire.

In a whole new saga of Fire Emblem, the gameplay of Genealogy of the Holy War offers major improvements over its predecessors, and introduces ideas such as characters falling in love to have playable children, and gigantic maps.

FE5: Fire Emblem: Thracia 776
ファイアーエムブレム トラキア776
September 1999 (JP)

During a lapse of time occurring in the previous game, Prince Leif of Leonster is also struggling against the grip of the Loptyr Empire. As Leif travels within the Thracian peninsula, he and his companions must survive against the evil forces in hopes that they can deliver justice.

A midquel game in the Jugdral story, Thracia 776 offers a very elaborate and wholesome Fire Emblem experience, but you're going to be resetting a lot.

Game Boy Advance Era

series06st1uwt.jpg
series07sf9ujy.jpg
series08s5budc.jpg

FE6: Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade
ファイアーエムブレム 封印の剣
March 2002 (JP)

In the distant past, there was a war known as the Scouring in which man and dragon fought and decided the fate of the continent. Now, the Kingdom of Bern starts invading other nations of Elibe in a new war, and since the Marquess of Pherae has fallen ill, his son Roy must take to arms and fight.

Fire Emblem's jump to handhelds had it dropping many of the features the series had gained before then, but The Binding Blade is nonetheless another great entry in the series...especially because Roy's our boy.

FE7: Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade
ファイアーエムブレム 烈火の剣
April 2003 (JP) | November 2003 (NA) | July 2004 (EU)

Twenty years before The Binding Blade, Eliwood leaves Pherae in search of his missing father, but the plot soon thickens as he, Hector of Ostia, and Lyn of Sacae are faced with the trouble of the Black Fang.

The first localized game of the series was originally released under the simple title Fire Emblem, and The Blazing Blade brings interesting concepts like having three playable main characters and a lengthy tutorial section for beginners.

FE8: Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
ファイアーエムブレム 聖魔の光石
October 2004 (JP) | May 2005 (NA) | November 2005 (EU)

The Grado Empire is bringing havoc upon the continent of Magvel, and royal siblings Eirika and Ephraim must work together to try and gather the Sacred Stones as they make friends and even lose some.

Completely unrelated story-wise to the other games, The Sacred Stones reintroduces gameplay ideas last seen in Gaiden such as branching promotions and a traversable world map.

Nintendo GameCube/Wii Era

series09si6uvh.jpg
series10skault.jpg

FE9: Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
ファイアーエムブレム 蒼炎の軌跡
April 2005 (JP) | October 2005 (NA) | November 2005 (EU)

There are two kinds of people on the continent of Tellius: the human Beorcs and the Laguz, shapeshifters who can turn into animals. The Kingdom of Daein invades the young mercenary Ike's home of Crimea, leading him to not only get involved with the war, but also the tribulations the two races face.

This is Fire Emblem's big jump into the 3D world, and Path of Radiance provides a wealth of returning and all-new features that many credit for helping the game garner a strong fanbase, and we like Ike.

FE10: Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
ファイアーエムブレム 暁の女神
February 2007 (JP) | November 2007 (NA) | March 2008 (EU)

Years pass after the Mad King's War, and for a time Tellius is peaceful. That all changes, however, when Begnion begins oppressing Daein citizens, which calls for the Dawn Brigade, led by the mysterious girl Micaiah, to liberate them. What seems like a simple tale soon evolves into a grand epic evoking the entire continent.

Radiant Dawn is the direct sequel to Path of Radiance that further expands on the gameplay, including a ton's worth of playable characters and chapters.

Nintendo DS Era

series11sjhu0g.jpg
series12sx0uel.jpg

FE11: Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
ファイアーエムブレム 新・暗黒竜と光の剣
August 2008 (JP) | February 2009 (NA) | December 2008 (EU)

Relive Marth's first tale in a way never seen before, such as new prologue and side chapters that further enrich the cast and story of the game.

The original Fire Emblem game remade again, upgrading the game with more contemporary features and is even the first in the series to include online multiplayer.

FE12: Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem
ファイアーエムブレム 新・紋章の謎 ~光と影の英雄~
July 2010 (JP)

The second half of Marth's story returns in a brand new remake with plenty of new story additions, particularly the inclusion of the chapters from the little known BS Fire Emblem series of games.

Mystery of the Emblem's Nintendo DS remake (which was never released in English), bringing noteworthy features later to be implemented again in the next game like Casual Mode and the Avatar, a playable and customizable caricature meant to represent the player.

Nintendo 3DS Era

series13saru0y.jpg
series14ffrby.png
series159xuhg.png

FE13: Fire Emblem Awakening
ファイアーエムブレム 覚醒
April 2012 (JP) | February 2013 (NA) | April 2013 (EU)

Chrom is the prince of the Halidom of Ylisse, as well as the captain of a group of vigilantes known as the Shepherds, who all worship the ancient Divine Dragon. Plegia, realm of the Fell Dragon's followers, has been acting suspicious, prompting Chrom to go and protect Ylisse. During this, Chrom encounters a mysterious masked swordsman...claiming to be the legendary Marth.

An all-new Fire Emblem game for Nintendo 3DS, Awakening makes makes great use of the system's features while marrying together several concepts from past games and rolling them all into one game.

FE14: Fire Emblem Fates
ファイアーエムブレム if
June 2015 (JP) | February 2016 (NA) | May 2016 (EU)

Born to one royal family, raised by another. With the two rival kingdoms at war, which side will you choose? That is the painful choice you must make between the warring families of Hoshido and Nohr... Will you be able to survive the tides of battle and dare to discover the truth?

The latest entry in the series, Fates tells a new story that splits into three different paths, as chronicled by Birthright, Conquest, and Revelation. This time, you the player take the role as the main protagonist, who has the ability to manipulate spots known as Dragon Veins to change the environment for a royal advantage.

FE15: Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
ファイアーエムブレム Echoes もうひとりの英雄王
April 2017 (JP) | May 2017 (NA) | May 2017 (EU)

Echoes is a reimagining of Gaiden for Nintendo 3DS, telling Valentia's story on a grander scale. It's the classic game you know and love, now with updated presentation, including animated cutscenes and full voice acting.

Links

Fire Emblem Echoes - Official site (JP)
Fire Emblem Fates - Official site (NA)
Fire Emblem Awakening - Official site (NA)
Fire Emblem Heroes - Official site
Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE - Official site (NA)
Fire Emblem World - Official series portal (JP)
@FireEmblemJP - Official series Twitter (JP)
@FE_Heroes_JP - Official Heroes Twitter (JP)
@FEcipher - Official Cipher Twitter (JP)
Serenes Forest - A Fire Emblem resource

Enjoy!

TWILT

Banned
Yay, about time we had this.

Awakening, and Path of Radiance were awesome.
Radiant Dawn was great.
Fire Emblem on GBA was cool.
Sacred Stones and Binding Sword were alright.
Shadow Dragon was ass.

Mia is best waifu.

Marche90

This must be rectified immediately.

But it's expensive! D:

Anyway, great OP! Now to wait until we have more news about this series... and play the ones that I've missed in the meantime.

Question: Tips for playing FE4? It looks interesting, but those big-ass maps kinda intimidate me.

FE 7 (first game on GBA here) will always be the best blind purchase I ever made. Knew nothing of the series at the time and now it's one of my favorite. Still need to play Awakening.

i wish FE9 and 10 weren't so expensive

also FE7 dabes 4ever (or maybe until i get around to getting the SFC games)

saw gaiden on the JP virtual console, is it worth getting?

Codeblue

FE 7 (first game on GBA here) will always be the best blind purchase I ever made. Knew nothing of the series at the time and now it's one of my favorite. Still need to play Awakening.

My intro to the series was finding the last copy of Path of Radiance at a Target on clearance for $15. It became a serious contender for my favorite game of all time. There's nothing like booting up a game with zero expectations or any idea of what it's like and falling in love with it.

Very nice OP. I'm still a big FE fan but stopped playing them since I couldn't find Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. I think I need to hunt down a copy this winter break.

Miker

It might be a good idea to put the number of the games in the OP, e.g. FE9, FE10, etc. because fans tend to fall back on those instead of Path of Radiance or even PoR.

Question: Tips for playing FE4? It looks interesting, but those big-ass maps kinda intimidate me.

The big maps aren't that bad since most of your party will be on horseback anyway.

Kinda hard to say without getting too into it, since marriage in this game involves careful planning. Probably the most different part of the game is how inventory is managed and the base castle.

There are some great guides in case you ever get stuck.

Chrom

Thanks for the comments guys!

I wanted to do a lot more with it but by the time I reached this point I couldn't resist posting it as it was. Consider it a WIP still.

Joqu

Information about the available fan translations and their quality would be a nice addition to the OT I think. But yeah, you did a great job!

Cheapest could be fake carts of course.

That goes for anyone looking to buy the GBA games as I was attempting to buy the GBA games myself - there's quite a few fake GBA games out there.

As a rule I don't buy used gba games online sight unseen.

Fury Sense

Awakening was my first FE game not counting smash bros. (lol)

Having loved FFTA and FFTA2, FEA came highly recommended by my friends... and I loved it! (Actually I'm not finished yet...)

I've just realized I have another fire emblem game as a 3ds ambassador, sacred stones. Is it worth playing?

Thanks for the comments guys!

I wanted to do a lot more with it but by the time I reached this point I couldn't resist posting it as it was. Consider it a WIP still.

Actually, one suggestion is to post a link to Serenes Forest in the first post, since it's probably the most comprehensive FE resource out there.

My intro to the series was finding the last copy of Path of Radiance at a Target on clearance for $15. It became a serious contender for my favorite game of all time. There's nothing like booting up a game with zero expectations or any idea of what it's like and falling in love with it.
Crazy good deal you got. Yeah, there really is nothing like it. I remember starting the game up when I got home and hours just going by. That feeling of playing something new and exciting really makes it so much better.

Nintendo needs to get its VC shit together and start releasing GCN games so the people who just got into the series this year can play PoR without paying a limb (I'd totally buy the game again, too). I've finally put down Awakening and am gonna start my first playthrough of PoR in a while this week.

Yay, about time we had this.

Awakening, and Path of Radiance were awesome.
Radiant Dawn was great.
Fire Emblem on GBA was cool.
Sacred Stones and Binding Sword were alright.
Shadow Dragon was ass.

Mia is best waifu.

I agree with all of this (well, Shadow Dragon was more mediocre).

Linkhero1

Playing through Awakening right now. Loving it quite a bit. I have the GC and Wii games as well as Sacred Stones, but this is the first one I'm really putting the effort into beating. I will definitely revisit the other games I have. It sucks that I couldn't find the first GBA Fire Emblem for a reasonable price.

ohlawd

Nintendo needs to get its VC shit together and start releasing GCN games so the people who just got into the series this year can play PoR without paying a limb (I'd totally buy the game again, too). I've finally put down Awakening and am gonna start my first playthrough of PoR in a while this week.

We haven't even started getting N64 games in Wii U VC. But I'm going to wait anyway.

Joqu

Having loved FFTA and FFTA2, FEA came highly recommended by my friends... and I loved it! (Actually I'm not finished yet...)

I've just realized I have another fire emblem game as a 3ds ambassador, sacred stones. Is it worth playing?

It's not bad, but I wouldn't call it great either. The other GBA game is much better.

But you already have it so I would play it anyway.

Fury Sense

Hmm.. I migrated from 3DS to 2DS including a digital version of Fire Emblem Awakening. It seems my save file is gone. Someone please tell me I can activate it or something somehow.

Top Bottom