• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

so nice, somebody in the thread called the garnet
fusion
earlier. Also based on the ending
peridot is on earth now, so they still gotta fight her/make sure she doesnt activate the kindergarten right?

It seems like a small cog in the grand scheme of things. Peridot seems more interested in finding this 'cluster'.

Psxphile

Are we still in spoiler country? Do we still need to tag?

Would Gems even be interested in mating with human men if the children are all hybrids like Steven and not pure Gems?

Another one: If the Gems have been on Earth for thousands of years, is Greg+Rose really the first time a Gem and a human got it on? They clearly have sex drives, yet they stuck around for millennia until Greg broke their abstinence? I can understand not wanting to bone a caveman, but it seems like a stretch.

Wait... is
Greg a caveman?! He said he wasn't around for the war, but who knows! Twistpocalypse
According to the Gems, Steven is the first of his kind. I assume that's because having to give up "their physical form" to birth a hybrid child is not high on the list of militaristic Gem society.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. When Greg was talking about the past, I thought he was about to say he was from a different time period or something.
People have been talking like Greg was hinting at being present during the Rebellion, but the simplest and more likely scenario is that Rose Quartz at some point told him everything about herself and what Gems really are and were doing on the planet. Hell, she was probably deathly afraid that if she came clean he would reject her completely, but considering they had a child together I'm going to assume Greg was pretty chill about the reveal.

He was sweating bullets because he was probably waiting for the Crystal Gems to come clean to Steven eventually and didn't want to step on their toes. Better Steven hear it from them so they could explain to him neatly why they choose to protect Earth.

So about Pearl
being called 'some lost defective Pearl' by Jasper. What if she's just of a thousands mass produced pearl gems. Would make that 'My pearl' wording a bit of sense during that memory of Rose and Pearl.
Maybe. I choose to focus on 'defect' as in 'to defect' or switch allegiance, even if that's not the definition of the word 'defective'. But there being multiple versions of a base "Pearl" construct? That'd be a trip.

No date yet, it seems. How amazing would it be if season 2 was announced just after this season ends.

According to Matt Burnett, Season 2 officially starts tomorrow with 'Full Disclosure'. Of course, we all know that's not really the case but it looks like this is how they're divvying up the episodes. So the reason 'Full Disclosure' wasn't on the leak list of episodes from months back is because it REALLY IS THE FIRST EPISODE OF SEASON 2. And with no episode list to guide us, we're pretty much going in blind. Of course, a few Season 1 episodes have been junted around and will be added to the Season 2 count. But that's basically how it is: Season 1 ended with 'Jailbreak'.

Joe makes the best promo arts. Ocean Gem was fantastic too.

so nice, somebody in the thread called the garnet
fusion
earlier. Also based on the ending
peridot is on earth now, so they still gotta fight her/make sure she doesnt activate the kindergarten right?

I don't think
Peridot is much of a fighter. Odds are she'll be trying to contact the homeworld and get help from the Yellow Diamond

Speaking of which, are we thinking
Citrine, Topaz, Zircon, Tiger's Eye, Beryl or Tourmaline for that one?

According to the Gems, Steven is the first of his kind. I assume that's because having to give up "their physical form" to birth a hybrid child is not high on the list of militaristic Gem society.

It's just weird to think they sat around for thousands of years before Greg, of all people, seduced one of them. It makes me think that they were stuck in gem form for all that time or something.

Toxi

Banned
I don't think
Peridot is much of a fighter. Odds are she'll be trying to contact the homeworld and get help from the Yellow Diamond

Speaking of which, are we thinking
Citrine, Topaz, Zircon, Tiger's Eye, Beryl or Tourmaline for that one?
I'll be surprised if any Tourmaline character isn't green and pink, since watermelon tourmaline is the most famous kind.

If Rose Quartz is actually the pink diamond, I'd bet on Citrine, since it's another variety of quartz.

Raxus

Are we still in spoiler country? Do we still need to tag?

I am keeping it spoiler tag until the next episode airs that way people watching on demand or DVR have 24 hours to catch up.

Back on topic,
am I the only one going crazy thinking about how Sapphire wears a princess outfit before fusing. I doubt it means anything but we have no clue how gem culture was or is now in the future.

Psxphile

It's just weird to think they sat around for thousands of years before Greg, of all people, seduced one of them. It makes me think that they were stuck in gem form for all that time or something.

I don't think mammal-listic procreation is something Gems understand and/or want to be a part of. It took Rose millennia to settle down with a human, and she was 'the nice one' who valued their existence.

Kangi

Have I mentioned how great it is that Steven's gone from an obnoxious companion to the gems who regularly messes things up (and only by strokes of luck makes them better), to someone who
Garnet specifically relies on to help save the day
?

It's such subtle character growth, too. You're used to him being something of a pest, but before you know it he's off finding and bubbling gems on his own, without losing his personality.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I am keeping it spoiler tag until the next episode airs that way people watching on demand or DVR have 24 hours to catch up.

Back on topic,
am I the only one going crazy thinking about how Sapphire wears a princess outfit before fusing. I doubt it means anything but we have no clue how gem culture was or is now in the future.

It is interesting for an agender species.

The Gems shown thus far still fall into traditional masculine/feminine models for the most part, with Peridot and Garnet being the main exceptions. It makes me wonder if Gem society still has norms and expectations based on physique, as opposed to human norms based on gender.

Avixph

Now that
we found out that Garnet is a Gem fusion does that mean that there's a possibility of a Gem fusion between Pearl and Sapphire/Ruby or Amethyst and Sapphire/Ruby?
Also do you peeps think
it's possible for Steven to fuse with Garnet or individually with Sapphire or Ruby since they have a stronger connection?

Raxus

tumblr_nl4epuOqOh1qb7ulzo1_500.png

lol...

Why does Steven have Lion and Onion as contacts...wait...LION HAS A CELL PHONE?!?!?

RagnarokX

Man, this show has really come a long way. It started out good but seemingly a bit too aimless and Steven as a protagonist was too immature to really drive a show. But as he's matured and the plot started developing it really became something else.

I have a lot of questions, though...

Why did it take 6000 years for the homeworld gems to return to Earth? Originally I was under the assumption that they simply didn't know about the war because the Crystal Gems defeated their enemies before they could relay what happened. Peridot seems to have no idea what happened. She didn't know why they lost contact with Earth and was surprised by the appearance of the Crystal Gems. But in that case why wait 6000 years to investigate why one of your mining operations went silent? Tonight Jasper revealed that she fought in the war. It could be that they stayed away from Earth out of fear of Rose, but then why did they suddenly return? Wouldn't Earth be off-limits? Was Peridot's investigation of Earth a mistake? Maybe Jasper kept what happened on Earth secret out of respect for Rose or out of shame from her defeat; covered everything up and kept homeworld from investigating until Peridot started snooping around. But it sounds like Yellow Diamond knows what happened. If Jasper was covering things up she wouldn't be so eager to show Steven to Yellow Diamond. And that mural apparently shows Rose fighting a Diamond.

Holy shit, just caught the episode. The show went straight up action cartoon. That was amazing. Garnet's song was so badass. I was super hyped for this episode and was expecting for it to not live up to my expectations but that blew everything out of the water.

Anyone notice how Powerful Steven is getting?

the show keeps implying and showing that
Steven not only has the gem powers of one of the more powerful gems, but also the combination of human and gem is amazing as we saw today with him being able to get past jail cells designed for gems. He is also gaining more confidence with his powers, and it's no surprise he's getting powerful since yeah Rose was the leader. Not to mention he's such a sweet guy he makes friends easily, look at how Lapis hated the crystal gems and still decided to sacrifice herself for Steven's sake.
When he can control his powers he's going to be just as powerful as his mom if not more. I mean I have no doubts that he'll be somehow able to save the corrupted gems at one point. Maybe when Pearl gets corrupted, since come on it's gonna happen.

Avixph

Now that
we found out that Garnet is a Gem fusion does that mean that there's a possibility of a Gem fusion between Pearl and Sapphire/Ruby or Amethyst and Sapphire/Ruby?
Also do you peeps think
it's possible for Steven to fuse with Garnet or individually with Sapphire or Ruby since they have a stronger connection?
Anyone?

vypek

Why did it take 6000 years for the homeworld gems to return to Earth? Originally I was under the assumption that they simply didn't know about the war because the Crystal Gems defeated their enemies before they could relay what happened. Peridot seems to have no idea what happened. She didn't know why they lost contact with Earth and was surprised by the appearance of the Crystal Gems. But in that case why wait 6000 years to investigate why one of your mining operations went silent? Tonight Jasper revealed that she fought in the war. It could be that they stayed away from Earth out of fear of Rose, but then why did they suddenly return? Wouldn't Earth be off-limits? Was Peridot's investigation of Earth a mistake? Maybe Jasper kept what happened on Earth secret out of respect for Rose or out of shame from her defeat; covered everything up and kept homeworld from investigating until Peridot started snooping around. But it sounds like Yellow Diamond knows what happened. If Jasper was covering things up she wouldn't be so eager to show Steven to Yellow Diamond. And that mural apparently shows Rose fighting a Diamond.

It could be that the war was so devastating to both sides that no one knew who all was alive and the homeworld gems left having already made great progress with mining. They could have felt it was easier to abandon it at that point. The homeworld gems coming back could just be returning to used resources to see if they can squeeze a little more out of them. They could also be returning for tools or something else. Doesn't seem like they knew for sure that gems were around. After all, Peridot was pretty much scouting the place and fixing up the warps so they could at least travel to all the places they have been before. With advancements on the homeworld they might have been coming to their old planets with a different intention. As you said, it could be that what happened on Earth was kept secret...that a group of gems betrayed the homeworld and were successful.

Being eager to show Steven could override whatever other motivation she had originally. Seeing that there is a gem hybrid or at least that Rose no longer exists but her gem is in someone else.

I think all of those that you posted are possible. I don't see why they wouldn't be. Maybe not perfectly stable but a fusion should be possible.

Toxi

Banned
Man, this show has really come a long way. It started out good but seemingly a bit too aimless and Steven as a protagonist was too immature to really drive a show. But as he's matured and the plot started developing it really became something else.

The homeworld had no idea there were still gems on Earth. It's likely they assumed everyone, Rose Quartz included, died in the war. When Peridot discovered there were still gems on Earth, that's when the others knew.

As for why it took so long for the gems to come back to fix the Kindergarten, I'm not sure. The destruction of the warp pad probably stopped them from coming to Earth, so maybe they just gave up on it. Pearl's own attempt at a spaceship was incredibly slow (Half a century to reach Alpha Centauri), so I speculate that space travel back then was not very convenient compared to how fast it is now. Without the warp, they would have had no easy way to reach Earth and wage a war. Over time they would have just forgotten about that one planet they didn't manage to conquer, at least until they later had the technology to fix the warp with the Robonoids and space travel directly to Earth in a short time.

Psxphile

It had to do with the broken Home World warp pad. Peridot probably created the goop only recently, allowing them fix distant warp pads and scout the Earth in secret. As for why not just come to Earth in full force, I don't think they wanted to risk sending soldiers to what potentially could have been a dead world. The Red Eye was probably sent for just that purpose. to scout and ensure there was still life (and no opposing Gems) on Earth. Otherwise they wouldn't have bothered. But the Red Eye was lost and Peridot decided to check up personally.

Maybe. I guess. We'll probably get an answer eventually.

Jasoneyu

The homeworld had no idea there were still gems on Earth. It's likely they assumed everyone, Rose Quartz included, died in the war. When Peridot discovered there were still gems on Earth, that's when the others knew.

As for why it took so long for the gems to come back to fix the Kindergarten, I'm not sure. The destruction of the warp pad probably stopped them from coming to Earth, so maybe they just gave up on it. Pearl's own attempt at a spaceship was incredibly slow (Half a century to reach Alpha Centauri), so I speculate that space travel back then was not very convenient compared to how fast it is now. Without the warp, they would have had no easy way to reach Earth and wage a war. Over time they would have just forgotten about that one planet they didn't manage to conquer, at least until they later had the technology to fix the warp with the Robonoids and space travel directly to Earth in a short time.
yup I assume the homeworld thought all the gems died after the great War not knowing that they survived via the bubble shield. In the episode Greg mentioned that the roses Shield saved the remaining gems but the rest parished. This might also mean that the monsters they are bubbling might be old allies that got killed in the war.

vypek

!!!

how do i download this? i don't use soundcloud so I'm not familiar with the layout or if you can even download songs from it

I think the only way right now would be an audio ripper. But there will probably be an official soundtrack released sometime

I don't know if I'd be allowed to post a link for a way to do it. Would I?

aww that blows, also notice that account uploaded the song with greg and the whailing stone(another song i liked)

I think that account does all the songs for the show. Maybe I'm mistaken

Psxphile

!!!

how do i download this? i don't use soundcloud so I'm not familiar with the layout or if you can even download songs from it

There are browser scripts and add-ons that allow you to "save" open streams to your hard drive, when a download option isn't available (Soundcloud *does* have the option to download, but it has to be enabled by the account holder). I'm guessing they just don't want you to keep a copy for yourself.

So naturally, this being the Internet that means it'd be widely available on Youtube user accounts and several other file servers within the day.

Holy shit that two-parter was amazing. This show is amazing. I can't get enough of that song though oh my god. Questions are being answered, but more are being raised guys I can't hold all this hype.

It's amazing how far Garnet has come from my point of view. In the beginning, I was kind of indifferent towards her, but over the course of the show I started liking her more and more. This past couple of months it got the point where she became a strong contender for my favorite gem, putting Pearl's position in jeopardy. After Jailbreak though...shit...I think she's earned it.
Still love ya Pearl. ;)

Crocodile

When can we stop using spoiler tags? Post upon post of black bars is really obnoxious :/

Have I mentioned how great it is that Steven's gone from an obnoxious companion to the gems who regularly messes things up (and only by strokes of luck makes them better), to someone who
Garnet specifically relies on to help save the day
?

It's such subtle character growth, too. You're used to him being something of a pest, but before you know it he's off finding and bubbling gems on his own, without losing his personality.

To be frank, the show is kind of set up that way to prop up Steven and his importance. Plus if Steven was as basically irrelevant and clueless (though he dips into that clueless well a bit much for me tastes still) as he was at the start of the show, the entire thing would be a hard watch.

Anyway, I feel like, given their age (way longer than any human lifespan), the Gems should generally be way more "on top of things" than they have been. Despite how powerful they are physically, they seem kind of clueless unusually often. Their flaws certainly give them nuance and depth but, as examples, Amethyst is basically a child and Pearl seems a moment's notice away from an emotional breakdown. If the Gems were more well adjusted they wouldn't need Steven so often. Realistically (I know its a fantasy cartoon, bear with me), as trained soldiers who have seen action and been around for several millennia (less so Amethyst) they really shouldn't be so dependent on a child.

Toxi

Banned
Anyway, I feel like, given their age (way longer than any human lifespan), the Gems should generally be way more "on top of things" than they have been. Despite how powerful they are physically, they seem kind of clueless unusually often. Their flaws certainly give them nuance and depth but, as examples, Amethyst is basically a child and Pearl seems a moment's notice away from an emotional breakdown. If the Gems were more well adjusted they wouldn't need Steven so often. Realistically (I know its a fantasy cartoon, bear with me), as trained soldiers who have seen action and been around for several millennia (less so Amethyst) they really shouldn't be so dependent on a child.
Most of Pearl's emotional issues started only a few years ago when Steven was born and Rose Quartz disappeared.

Rose Quartz was the leader and emotional center for the entire team.

Psxphile

Think we'll see
Ruby and Sapphire
return when Steven inevitably has an episode dedicated to celebrating his birthday? I mean, they *did* have it planned out...

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Most of Pearl's emotional issues started only a few years ago when Steven was born and Rose Quartz disappeared.

Besides, even in their current state the gems are regularly shown, in the background, going on many away missions and completing them without breaking a sweat. They're quite proactive. In the context of their long lives, Rose's "death" only just happened.

Crocodile

Fair though you'd expect that if they were better adjusted they would be able to bounce back quicker or be affected less so? To be clear, I'm not at all calling them incompetent or anything. They just seem to "break down" (I don't mean just emotionally) at just the right time for Steven to be oddly lucid to "save the day" kind of often so to speak.

Damn...that was absolutely incredible!!
I'm beaming from ear to ear right now, they did everything right; not one thing was amiss as far as I'm concerned, we've been building up to this moment for a while now and it's so satisfying to see them deliver!
Awesome, awesome stuff.

This was such an amazing moment.
It was unexpectedly and pleasantly passionate; I think stars twinkled in my eyes when
she kept kissing Ruby!
It also makes so much damn sense once one stops to look at the very first love/soulmate fusion we ever see, Stevonnie. Plus, Garnet's giddy reaction to the creation of Stevonnie makes even more sense now. Also, I don't care what anybody says ("Genderless!", "They're just really good friends!" yadayadayadayda)...Ruby and Sapphire are lesbian lovers and it's amazing!

Damn that fight was good, loved that Sonic-like spinball attack
ihPXKdWyHaXNS.gif

Jasper was an immensely entertaining villain for somebody who just came right out of nowhere.

Since people are asking, I'll officially lift the spoiler ban on The Return & Jailbreak on Saturday at midnight EST, so 21 hours and 15 minutes from now. That should give anyone who couldn't catch the episodes tonight enough time to give them a look and post their impressions here without having to worry about getting spoiled beforehand.

Going forward from here, I think we'll just stick to a 3-hour ban on new episode spoilers so that viewers on both costs have a chance to view the new content before all of the secrets get dissected in plain view. I'm totally willing to discuss this one though, so you guys can decide whether it's fair or not.

Psxphile

tumblr_nl4xkuAjt61sume0oo1_540.png

"too soon!"

Going forward from here, I think we'll just stick to a 3-hour ban on new episode spoilers so that viewers on both costs have a chance to view the new content before all of the secrets get dissected in plain view. I'm totally willing to discuss this one though, so you guys can decide whether it's fair or not.

I think this is fair. Even the Crewniverse couldn't keep themselves from spoiling things on their Twitblrs after the west coast airing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom