• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Strider (Capcom/Double Helix, PC/PS4/XB1/PS360, 2014) [Open World, Orig Devs, Video]

MrDaravon

STOP HIRING DOUBLE HELIX to ruin my favorite Japanese franchises.

First Silent Hill
Then Front Mission
Now Strider

;_____;

This.

I don't think people really understand how bad Silent Hill Homecoming and Front Mission Evolved were. For the record, here is their entire development history:

Silent Hill Homecoming
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra
Front Mission Evolved
MX vs. ATV Reflex
Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters
Battleship
Killer Instinct
Harker

This is also why I have zero faith in KI, regardless of how well or poorly that game shows. I would love to be surprised on this one (moreso than KI), but they're going to have to prove it pretty hard to me.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wow. Metroidvania Strider announced. I'm at the height of ecstacy.

Double Helix. Now I'm in the depths of despair.

Why do Japanese companies keep farming games out to shitty developers? Maybe they're cheaper, but does that really justify eroding your franchise and fanbase even further?

BPff5UsCQAM0Zs_.jpg:large

Eeeesh, Double Helix. For the lazy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Helix_Games#Games

Name Platform(s) Release date(s)
Silent Hill Homecoming PlayStation 3 / Windows / Xbox 360 2008
G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra Nintendo DS / PlayStation 2 / PlayStation 3 / PlayStation Portable / Wii / Xbox 360 2009
Front Mission Evolved[2] PlayStation 3 / Windows / Xbox 360 2010
MX vs. ATV Reflex Windows 2010
Green Lantern: Rise of the Manhunters PlayStation 3 / Wii / Xbox 360 2011
Battleship[3] PlayStation 3 / Xbox 360 2012
Killer Instinct[4] Xbox One November 2013
Harker PlayStation 3 / Wii / Xbox 360 TBA

I've only played Homecoming but that is enough reason to never play anything from Double Helix again unless they release a really kickass demo. They somehow still got the number one spot for shittiest silent hill title despite Konamis best tries at making a shittier one each year. Truly terrible.

Tain

not arcade design philosophies don't care

that's an exaggeration but this does make me want a non-metroidvania

Edit: wait Double Helix? lol

Moofers

Let's give DH a break here. Its Strider, done like metroidvania. The info we know so far about the gameplay sounds awesome. I think they're going to do great!

Very hyped for this!

It's almost like a cruel joke at this point. "hey guys, here's one of your beloved franchises:

Silent Hill
Front Mission
Killer Instinct
Strider

.. and we're giving them to the shittiest developer around! Enjoy!"

lets see how it plays before we start nay say.

The one thing I hate is knee jerk negativity,

That's not knee jerk. double helix has made zero good games since 2008, and at least one of those (silent hill: homecoming) is regarded as the worst in its franchise.

Guess who got hired to do Lost Planet 3 and Ninja Gaiden Z... GUESS!!!!

I'd never even heard of ninja gaiden Z. a zombie plague ninja gaiden side game? what the shit

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
They're cheap?
Well, they got their start making rushed licensed games, not exactly a great metric for studio power when your making ultra time and budget constrained stuff. According to them anyways. Cause and effect might be switched here.

I was wary about KI too, but it seems like they're finally getting to spread their wings a bit and get a chance to prove what they're capable of, especially considering a lot of the great steps their taking with KI. I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

ezekial45

Banned
Double Helix is doing Impressive work on KI, so I'm fairly optimistic of this game turning out alright. Plus the pics look pretty great.

Heyt

Banned
Double Helix? AGAIN!?

Why they just keep being hired to reboot my favorite frachises? Why not an studio I can fucking trust!?

Better don't fuck this up.

the chris

I like that it seems that Capcom goes after the devs that people least want to see a series revitalized by. Strider fans now know the pain of Devil May Cry fans.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Lets hope this is the GOOD side of Double Helix. The very little bit seen so far seems solid, and I actually LOVE the fact that the game is considering NES Strider AND Arcade Strider, as it's the NES one that really made me love the character.

I want my purchase of Strider XBLA to unlock Strider as a playable character / custom skin for Killer Instinct... I don't care how senseless this is!!

Anybody else sick of 2.5D? I'd love to see some gorgeous hand drawn art with these HD upgrades.

Sure, I'd love some honest-to-goodness 2D, but I also like it if the strengths of 2.5D are used well (such as easier use of alt costumes, multiple playable characters, good lighting, more complex animations, etc).

Much as I'll always love pixelart, because it's a style with it's own strengths, I think the same could be said of 2.5D.

" Jon Chinnery ‏@Chindogg21 3s

The original Strider and Strider 2 developers are the main designers of Strider. Double Helix is doing the grunt work. #SDCC ?

AWW, YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! Been hoping for a new Strider for a long time. Now I wanna go play the rest again...which I guess I'll go do.

GO NINJA, GO NINJA, GO!!!

Lijik

For people who hate Double Helix, who is worse, them or GRIN?

Either way, I'm excited and hope to be blown away.

Double Helix for sure. I actually had a blast with the few GRIN games I played (basically just Bionic Commando and BC: Rearmed so not a whole lot)

NotLiquid

Nope I'm out.

Killer Instinct might benefit from having actual people with fighting game experience on that particular team but I'm not trusting them with anything else.

Dahbomb

Double Helix you better not fuck it up or you will feel the wrath of the Capcom fans....

And some of them are very angry DMC fans.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Restored faith?

@Chindogg21 now
Strider has two teams, Double Helix and Capcom Japan out of Osaka. #SDCC

Jon Chinnery ‏@Chindogg21
The original Strider and Strider 2 developers are the main designers of Strider. Double Helix is doing the grunt work. #SDCC

Mr-Joker

Banned
I am happy that their is a new Strider game but I am not happy over the fact that Double Helix is working on it. I really hope that Double Helix surprise every one and actually delivers.

Top Bottom