• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Dictator93
Member
(08-10-2017, 03:04 PM)
Dictator93's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dubbedinenglish

What do you mean, this has always been my avatar

lol
Snake29
Member
(08-10-2017, 03:12 PM)
Snake29's Avatar

Originally Posted by iHaunter

Especially for people in Europe.

I know many folks over there that have data caps, which is nuts! Delta patcher will help immensely.

Not really, Europe has some of the best internet connections in the world (maybe even better then the US). We never had data caps here in the Netherlands. Also we have the fastest overall connections in Europe and are in the top 5 internet countries in the world.
staticneuron
Member
(08-11-2017, 03:26 AM)
staticneuron's Avatar
New ATV is up: Making mobiGlas Matter
Raticus79
Seek victory, not fairness
(08-11-2017, 05:31 AM)
Raticus79's Avatar
Whew, this one has a lot packed into it.

Some Endeavor style domes in that base at 10:53 and a bit of farming equipment at 11:00.

I was surprised that render-to-texture was something that engines didn't do already. It's certainly an improvement from having your UI drawn as a flat overlay.

Edit: hey, VR actually got a mention at 16:45. Nice
Last edited by Raticus79; 08-11-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Trace
Member
(08-11-2017, 05:44 AM)
Trace's Avatar
VR still exists? Damn.

Also holy shit that star map UI is nuts.
Dictator93
Member
(08-11-2017, 11:44 AM)
Dictator93's Avatar
I cannot get over this
https://fat.gfycat.com/BlankMeekLeafhopper.webm

It honestly is pretty much a 1:1 recreation of what my mind always thought UI would look like in a projected helmet. Blockbuster quality effects and believability here.
Last edited by Dictator93; 08-11-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Aztechnology
Member
(08-11-2017, 11:47 AM)
Aztechnology's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dictator93

I cannot get over this
https://fat.gfycat.com/BlankMeekLeafhopper.webm

It honestly is pretty much a 1:1 recreation of what my mind always thought UI would look like in a projected helmet. Honestly, blockbuster quality effects and believability here.

If I ever get to experience this in VR, I'm a goner.
Zabojnik
No, the other west!
(08-11-2017, 12:23 PM)
Zabojnik's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dictator93

I cannot get over this
https://fat.gfycat.com/BlankMeekLeafhopper.webm

It honestly is pretty much a 1:1 recreation of what my mind always thought UI would look like in a projected helmet. Blockbuster quality effects and believability here.



Star Citizen & Iron Man legend John Likens vindicated. I, for one, always believed in his vision.
Last edited by Zabojnik; 08-11-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Dictator93
Member
(08-11-2017, 06:17 PM)
Dictator93's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zabojnik



Star Citizen & Iron Man legend John Likens vindicated. I, for one, always believed in his vision.

nevar4get

They had this screen on twitter of the Cutlass.

Note the extra ambient occlusion / drop shadow. I wonder how they are doing that.
Raticus79
Seek victory, not fairness
(08-11-2017, 06:26 PM)
Raticus79's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dictator93

Note the extra ambient occlusion / drop shadow. I wonder how they are doing that.

Yeah, that's weird. Almost looks like they have points defined with an effect that strengthens shadows in the projected cone/sphere.
Dictator93
Member
(08-11-2017, 06:50 PM)
Dictator93's Avatar

Originally Posted by Raticus79

Yeah, that's weird. Almost looks like they have points defined with an effect that strengthens shadows in the projected cone/sphere.

They do have SDF representations of ships right now... perhaps leveraging that? No idea ! :D
Raticus79
Seek victory, not fairness
(08-11-2017, 07:48 PM)
Raticus79's Avatar
I missed some discussion around render-to-texture over here on the graphics tech thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=245928328

It is funny how well it lines up for this part of the AtV.

Originally Posted by KKRT00

Is Chris Roberts reading GAF? :P

https://youtu.be/djT7zF2WQVo?t=1792

It would help to have a catchy term for that holographic projection method to help distinguish it from what other games have been doing so far.
Dictator93
Member
(08-11-2017, 07:51 PM)
Dictator93's Avatar
RT3DT

jk, I have no idea. No idea how the holo volume is done :D
iHaunter
Member
(08-11-2017, 09:28 PM)
iHaunter's Avatar

Originally Posted by Snake29

Not really, Europe has some of the best internet connections in the world (maybe even better then the US). We never had data caps here in the Netherlands. Also we have the fastest overall connections in Europe and are in the top 5 internet countries in the world.

Well...I guess I was mistaken, everyone seems to be saying no.

I haven't met anyone in the US with Data Caps, but I guess that might just be me? I get 400 Mbps for $70 here in NJ. :O
Cabbagehead
Member
(08-11-2017, 11:31 PM)
Cabbagehead's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dictator93

I cannot get over this
https://fat.gfycat.com/BlankMeekLeafhopper.webm

It honestly is pretty much a 1:1 recreation of what my mind always thought UI would look like in a projected helmet. Blockbuster quality effects and believability here.

Shit be crazy and this is just the beginning!
trugc
Junior Member
(08-12-2017, 11:05 AM)

Originally Posted by Dictator93

nevar4get

They had this screen on twitter of the Cutlass.

Note the extra ambient occlusion / drop shadow. I wonder how they are doing that.

Notice this a while ago.
Looks like multiple analytical occluders.
~Cross~
Member
(08-12-2017, 03:35 PM)
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Latest Schedule Report, In which aim dates fucking disappear and "finish" isnt even categorized but its on september 8.

Now given the change in narrative over the past few weeks about these things needing to be ready FOR THE EVOCATI its safe to assume that september 8 is now their evocati release date and anything after that would be for ptu and live.

No bamboozle forecast now mentions their worst case scenario to be mid october when it used to be lateish september. I still think anything september for live is becoming a pipedream. Anything post 3.0 in this year is extremely unlikely before they have to close up shop for the holidays. Maybe some bugfixes for whatever inevitably breaks once it hits live.
mercenar1e
Member
(08-12-2017, 06:37 PM)
word is streamers attending gamescom will be playing the 2.6.3 build lmao and they didn't include dates for evocati or PTU either... YIKES.

looks like i was right about October too.. i guess im better at release schedules than the team over at CIG.
Last edited by mercenar1e; 08-12-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Zabojnik
No, the other west!
(08-12-2017, 06:46 PM)
Zabojnik's Avatar

Originally Posted by mercenar1e

word is streamers attending gamescom will be playing the 2.6.3 build lmao and they didn't include dates for evocati or PTU either... YIKES.

Well, I mean, Gamescom is all about SC, so they were obviously not going to show off 3.0 before the main event on Friday, regardless of how far along it is. Right? Having said that, yeah, these delays are no doubt bound to mess up their convention plans. Hopefully they'll have some (other) cool stuff to show. Judging by what we've seen on AtV lately, I think they'll be fine.
Cabbagehead
Member
(08-12-2017, 10:25 PM)
Cabbagehead's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zabojnik

Well, I mean, Gamescom is all about SC, so they were obviously not going to show off 3.0 before the main event on Friday, regardless of how far along it is. Right? Having said that, yeah, these delays are no doubt bound to mess up their convention plans. Hopefully they'll have some (other) cool stuff to show. Judging by what we've seen on AtV lately, I think they'll be fine.

Exactly.

It's just like any other year that they couldn't get a new build out. They didn't care to just postpone stuff just because of it.
Dictator93
Member
(08-12-2017, 10:26 PM)
Dictator93's Avatar

Originally Posted by mercenar1e

word is streamers attending gamescom will be playing the 2.6.3 build lmao and they didn't include dates for evocati or PTU either... YIKES.

looks like i was right about October too.. i guess im better at release schedules than the team over at CIG.

I imagine they will push out the evocati for gamescom
Ganyc
Junior Member
(08-12-2017, 10:32 PM)
Ganyc's Avatar

Originally Posted by mercenar1e

word is streamers attending gamescom will be playing the 2.6.3 build lmao and they didn't include dates for evocati or PTU either... YIKES.

looks like i was right about October too.. i guess im better at release schedules than the team over at CIG.

well, the streamers can't play 3.0 when it's not even evocati ready.


look at the schedule, they explain why they removed the dates. (but you can still see the final date on the schedule, i imagine that this is the evocati date)
Eolz
Member
(08-12-2017, 11:10 PM)
Eolz's Avatar

Originally Posted by mercenar1e

word is streamers attending gamescom will be playing the 2.6.3 build lmao and they didn't include dates for evocati or PTU either... YIKES.

looks like i was right about October too.. i guess im better at release schedules than the team over at CIG.

Lol, I'd be really interested where that "word" is coming from because it's not what is happening
RadioActiveLobster
Member
(08-12-2017, 11:40 PM)
RadioActiveLobster's Avatar

Originally Posted by ~Cross~

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Latest Schedule Report, In which aim dates fucking disappear and "finish" isnt even categorized but its on september 8.

Now given the change in narrative over the past few weeks about these things needing to be ready FOR THE EVOCATI its safe to assume that september 8 is now their evocati release date and anything after that would be for ptu and live.

No bamboozle forecast now mentions their worst case scenario to be mid october when it used to be lateish september. I still think anything september for live is becoming a pipedream. Anything post 3.0 in this year is extremely unlikely before they have to close up shop for the holidays. Maybe some bugfixes for whatever inevitably breaks once it hits live.

Anyone know why every time I visit this page now it launches both SteamVR and the Oculus app?
~Cross~
Member
(08-13-2017, 01:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Dictator93

I imagine they will push out the evocati for gamescom

Assuming that they arent delayed anymore, they'll finish mission givers in the middle of gamescom. That leaves them a day to bug fix and finish the build exclusions/mergers to create viable build. Doesn't seem very likely.

This doesn't even take into account the recent increase in scope that has left them TBD on things like moons needing to be reworked to be less sparse and possibly the character creator. Not to mention it took them a week to get a net decrease of 7 bugs, from the 90 they had. They would have to forgo their whole "These bugs need to be fixed before the evocati release" plan they've been trying to justify for the last month.

Lol, I'd be really interested where that "word" is coming from because it's not what is happening

Please, if you have more accurate information, share it. Last years plan was to try and stream 2.6, then that cut down to 2.5, then finally settled for 2.4.
Last edited by ~Cross~; 08-13-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Zabojnik
No, the other west!
(08-13-2017, 02:58 PM)
Zabojnik's Avatar
Who even cares what they'll show at Gamescom. All I want is some junk food, good company and bitching about how we should stick to our Twitch channel during the livestream. #traditions #fuckdiscord #onlyduringsteamtho
RK9039
Member
(08-13-2017, 03:06 PM)
RK9039's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dictator93

I cannot get over this
https://fat.gfycat.com/BlankMeekLeafhopper.webm

It honestly is pretty much a 1:1 recreation of what my mind always thought UI would look like in a projected helmet. Blockbuster quality effects and believability here.

Wow, that looks amazing lol. I love the fact that you can see the UI on the actual character model, that's pretty cool.
iHaunter
Member
(08-13-2017, 03:27 PM)
iHaunter's Avatar
Seeing the quality of everything, I kind of stopped caring about release dates.

I'd rather wait to have everything the quality it is in the world that it is, this is the only chance that I can see for us to have a game like this. No developer will ever invest in a game that might now be possible.
Dictator93
Member
(08-13-2017, 04:27 PM)
Dictator93's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zabojnik

Who even cares what they'll show at Gamescom. All I want is some junk food, good company and bitching about how we should stick to our Twitch channel during the livestream. #traditions #fuckdiscord #onlyduringsteamtho

You mean like every SC event where I get rather toasty on beer and tell you all how much I love you guys?

Sounds like a lot of fun to me, regardless of announcements :D
Shy
The Reasonable Negro™
That You Can Live With
(08-13-2017, 10:21 PM)
Shy's Avatar
#TEAMTWITCH

During streams that is. :P
Cabbagehead
Member
(08-14-2017, 01:29 AM)
Cabbagehead's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zabojnik

Who even cares what they'll show at Gamescom. All I want is some junk food, good company and bitching about how we should stick to our Twitch channel during the livestream. #traditions #fuckdiscord #onlyduringsteamtho

Exactly. It's no different then them showing 1.0 or 2.0 at GamesCom. When they've not released a new build yet. CIG isn't going to rush 3.0 out to appease the impatient. Especially not on the show room floor were lots of people that know nothing about SC or CIG will be walking through and wanting to play something stable. Which even with all 2.6 faults it is indeed stable.


Basically the Show Floor is for the non-backers and the press to talk to CR (Even see him play a build of 3.0 there). The even itself is for the backers and it's always been that way. They've never really showcased a brand new build at Gamescom before.

Anyone that's bring it up as some huge negative have an agenda.

Originally Posted by Dictator93

You mean like every SC event where I get rather toasty on beer and tell you all how much I love you guys?

Sounds like a lot of fun to me, regardless of announcements :D

Just keep your clothes on this time, that was enough "fidelity" for a lifetime
Zabojnik
No, the other west!
(08-15-2017, 11:03 PM)
Zabojnik's Avatar




It's happening. Well, something is.
Newboi
Member
(08-16-2017, 08:24 PM)
Newboi's Avatar
I didn't know that Sandi Gardiner‏ was a Star Citizen Co-founder. Did she work on Wing Commander with Chris Roberts?

Anyway, I'm always excited to see progress with Star Citizen. I'm hoping that they can really blow everyone away with an in-game 3.0 demonstration.
Daedardus
Member
(08-16-2017, 09:04 PM)
Daedardus's Avatar

Originally Posted by Newboi

I didn't know that Sandi Gardiner‏ was a Star Citizen Co-founder. Did she work on Wing Commander with Chris Roberts?

Anyway, I'm always excited to see progress with Star Citizen. I'm hoping that they can really blow everyone away with an in-game 3.0 demonstration.

I don't know if she worked on the game with him, but surely a friend of Roberts must have been a big Wingman Commander. Sandi's married to Chris.
staticneuron
Member
(08-16-2017, 09:44 PM)
staticneuron's Avatar

Originally Posted by Newboi

I didn't know that Sandi Gardiner‏ was a Star Citizen Co-founder. Did she work on Wing Commander with Chris Roberts?

Anyway, I'm always excited to see progress with Star Citizen. I'm hoping that they can really blow everyone away with an in-game 3.0 demonstration.

Normally founders help with initial start up money. Since she is married to Chris it probably was no brainer for him to get her involved. She is an actress so he put her in front of a camera for marketing and in the game as a character.
RadioActiveLobster
Member
(08-18-2017, 04:17 AM)
RadioActiveLobster's Avatar
ATV: Outposts and Environmental Storytelling is up.


No ATV next week due to Gamescom.
Zabojnik
No, the other west!
(Yesterday, 02:24 AM)
Zabojnik's Avatar
Weekly sneak peak:



They're gonna absolutely milk that holo tech, aren't they. Fine with me.
Last edited by Zabojnik; Yesterday at 03:17 AM.
RK9039
Member
(Yesterday, 04:46 PM)
RK9039's Avatar
Anyone know when the presentation is for Gamescom?
Zabojnik
No, the other west!
(Yesterday, 04:48 PM)
Zabojnik's Avatar

Originally Posted by RK9039

Anyone know when the presentation is for Gamescom?

Friday at 21h CEST. Or 9pm (12pm PDT / 7pm UTC), as some people prefer to call it. Plus the traditional delay, of course.
Last edited by Zabojnik; Yesterday at 04:52 PM.
Ganyc
Junior Member
(Today, 08:30 AM)
Ganyc's Avatar

Originally Posted by Zabojnik

Friday at 21h CEST. Or 9pm (12pm PDT / 7pm UTC), as some people prefer to call it. Plus the traditional delay, of course.

and before that, we will get an Interview with Chris and Gamestar:

Chris Roberts will be joining the GameStar Live Stream at Gamescom. Tune in to the GameStarDE Twitch or Youtube channel on Thursday, August 24, at 1:30 PM UTC to catch a live Q&A session with the man himself.

Thread Tools