• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Rep: Pikmin 3, NSMBU, Nintendo Land will ship in 720p (Pikmin 3 is 60fps)

BlackJace

Target 720p? No. Just no.

Don't get technical at the definition of "outdated". You know you're talking beside the point. I'm comparing between a console released between 2005 and one in 2012. That's a big gap of time.

The "it's in line with what's currently available" line is a very weak argument. You know the current consoles are on their way out, and 6 year old hardware is generally seen as outdated. It's not "fine" to release hardware in 2012 that's marginally better than 2005 hardware unless they're going again for the "a generation behind" strategy with the Wii.

You're in for a very rude awakening next generation, sir. 1080p will not be the target for many of the games. We are barely reaching 720p native. Halo 4 is touting that they will be 720p native...6 years into this generation. At least in the first 3 or so years, 1080p will not be target. Bet.

wiiudaily said:
Speaking to a Nintendo representative on the E3 show floor today, I was told that all of the playable Wii U games at E3 will ship with native 720p support, including Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros, and Pikmin 3. However, the representative said that some of those titles, like Pikmin 3, will run at 60 frames per second. The representative couldn’t confirm whether the games can be upscaled to 1080p, only that the “native resolution is 720p for all titles showcased”.

I'm not sure I agree with WiiUDaily's interpretation of what was said by this rep. And I'm also not sure if the rep has any knowledge about anything. So, it's a waiting game for what is really the case.

I mean, the rep could be stating that all games are currently running at 720p because that's what all the TVs at the show support, and so that's what they set the Wii U output to. Too much ambiguity.

Terrell

Reps are the biggest source of confusion every E3, but every year no one seems to remember this.

Basically this. Unnamed Nintendo reps (and even some NAMED Nintendo reps) caused a lot of confusion at E3 2005-2006 about the Wii.

Earlier this year, I remember people discounting information issued by named executives at Nintendo's foreign branches like Canada and Europe as being false because "why would they know anything?".

But now we're all going to trust a random show floor employee? K.

agrajag

Banned
So when PS4 and 720 launch next year and most games are standard 720p at 60FPS, with a few 1080 at 30FPS, what will the general reaction be then? 1080 at 60FPS being a standard isn't happening next-generation from any console. No one should expect such things.

Dude, that might be true, but PS4 and 720 at those same resolutions and framerates will be pushing so much more geometry and effects than the Wii U titles. So the difference will still be pretty damn noticeable.

I must say, that's quite funny if NSMBU can't do 1080/60. In fact it's so funny that I don't believe the hardware couldn't do it, just that Nintendo chose not to. Now, I have no idea why they'd chose to given that it's probably 1 line of code to get it at 1080 but oh well.

Because they're trying to capture the casual audience with NSMBU, 1080p is too hardcore, it might scare them off.

Top Bottom