• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Surge |OT| Live Die Repeat

pa22word

Yes and they don't transfer to NG+ so make sure to use any you find before the final boss.
Is it just me or does anyone else find the nanos kind of pointless in context of a ng+ run? I mean yeah go ahead and burn em if you're going to just one and done the game, but considering the lengths you have to trek to track them all down plus the cost of upgrading in terms of scrap you might as well just burn through area 6 and upgrade to the much more plentiful mark vi materials laying around in the scrapyard at the start of ng+. The jump from mk4-mk5 is kind of small too considering the seemingly (at least with what I was using) huge jump mk6 represents.

And conquered.

Defeated Rogue Process with a final level of 70.

First phase is hard but easy in the right context, you just gotta avoid that damn tail.
Second phase is just a weaker but more agile version of Black Cerebus

Pro tip:
When that overload station reopens, go for it, don't keep trying to damage it

I have no idea what the fuck the ending meant. But I really enjoyed The Surge, not quite ready to replay it because the Nucleus is bullshit haha but I'll revisit this game I'm sure. #2 game I've played overall this year.

And just remember

You cannot miss what you have never seen before.

BTW probably in the minority here but I liked the Heads Up With Don videos. Don Hackett
is a tragic character, a company yes man who took his own life because he couldn't deal with the lies and deceit.

Discovering him via hanging in the green room was upsetting especially after the passing of Chris Cornell (unrelated but relevant) but yeah, that shit was dark.

Hell of a game.

Meccs

I still think the level design and enemy placement is horribly done but the upgraded Vibro-Cutter is like the Dark Sword in DS3. I like it. Good damage and speed. I hate everything that is slower and locks you into animations.
The finishing moves are cool looking but they sometimes propel you 3-4 steps forward, often times aggroing another enemy by accident and you can't do anything against it. The Lynx-Movement build is cool and fast paced but again, due to the small cramped locations and the enemy placement you often times aggro another enemy while dodging attacks. The areas are just way too small to be fun imho.
Energy storage + more energy from attacks + energy to restore health + health from finisher moves is a pretty cool implant combo.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
New beta patch on Steam:

Beta Update Branch 24/05/2017
Hi everyone,

We'd like to extend a huge thank to all of you who joined CREO in the last days - we’ve been listening to your feedback, and we’ve been watching you enjoy The Surge!

This new patch is now on the beta branch, and includes all of the fixes from the previous beta patch. This patch includes tweaks and fixes based on player feedback, so feel free to read the changelog to learn about changes to the block, health injectors, and and even the ability to add your own music to the med-bay!

This update is stable but we're running it in beta to gather feedback on it before pushing it live to everybody. Don’t be afraid to jump in!

How to download this beta version
Right click on your game in your library and select "Properties".
In the new window, go to the "Betas" tab.
In the drop down menu, select "beta_patch".
Close the window, the game should be updating.
If you have trouble accessing the beta branch, please restart steam.

Please find the beta patch notes below.

The Surge - Update 53045 (P4) 33484 (SVN)

Added:
Play your own music in OPS! Drop WAV, OGG or FLAC files to "My Documents/The Surge/songs"
A kill switch button combination for players being stuck has been added (Press 'LB', 'LT', 'RB', 'RT', 'LS' and 'RS' at the same time, 'F4' is the default binding on the keyboard) - Please only use this when your character is stuck.
Added an option to bind jumping/ducking from blocking to the left stick (when using a controller)

Bug Fixes:
  1. Player will be able to block most attacks. This refers to enemy attacks that were only able to be ducked or hopped, which prior to the change ignored blocking. You will now be able to block these attacks, but they consume more stamina than 'standard' attacks.
  2. Fixed some random crashes triggered by accessing invalid memory
  3. Fixed some cases where display refresh rates were not displayed correctly within the menu (PC)
  4. It is now easier to stagger enemies using light, faster-hitting weapons.
  5. Removed Exploits where the player could receive unlimited Tech Scrap by switching the UI while dismantling objects
  6. Potential random crash in the animation system
  7. TDR crashes on Kepler GPUs (Nvidia 7## and 6## series)
  8. Fixed holes in collision where the player could get stuck
  9. Prevent the screensaver from kicking in when using a PS4 controller (PC)
  10. Correctly apply fall damage when doing a plunging/jumping attack
  11. The staff wielding security guards will no longer parry counter attacks and backstabs
  12. Always apply the correct damage from counter attacks following from ducking under or jumping over enemy attacks
  13. Fixed the behavior when binding target switching to the right stick
  14. Properly store the button imagery configured in the options menu
  15. Properly negate 100% toxic damage when wearing the Liquidator armor set
  16. Enemy super armor was not decreasing properly in some cases after a string of quick successive hits
  17. Fixed level transition elevators that were no longer available after dying in the moving elevator
  18. Fixed respawn positions of the player on level transition elevators that caused players falling into their death immediately after loading a savegame
  19. Loot drops of the smelting machines are now saved in the level so it can be collected even when dying after defeating the smelting machine
  20. Fixed an issue where the "Big Sister" achievement did not unlock properly after killing the Big Sister 1/3
  21. Mapping the dodge button to Circle will no longer cause the player to dodge every time the player "backs out" of the game menu.
  22. Possible crash when leaving New Game+ at the beginning and starting a new game.
  23. Gameplay blocker if the player does not collect the Security Exo-Rig after destroying the case. This will also fix broken saves.
  24. Various AR elements should no longer appear in the wrong locations.
  25. Counter attacks on drone enemies are no longer interrupted when using a Single-rigged weapon.
  26. Closed door in Resolve Biolabs now opens correctly. This will also fix broken saves.
  27. Using an implant that is on cooldown in the same moment an enemy is finished will no longer cause a repeating error message .
  28. Fixed issues where armor items were unable to be equipped in New Game+.
  29. Hobbs no longer asks for help after the player has helped him.
  30. Player can no longer get stuck at certain stairs in the tunnels of Resolve Biolabs.
  31. Player can no longer target the upper part of PAX while PAX is standing up.
  32. Sorting items by 'Newest' now works properly.
  33. Removed Quicksave/Quickload bindings.

Tweaks:
  • The values for health related implants have been adjusted to fall more in line with the desired/projected player health progression (more health)
  • The damage of the beam ranged attack of the Nano mass enemy has been reduced
  • The windup of the beam attack has been increased
  • Reduced the volume of the 'secret finding implant' - even more so when using a controller and rumble is enabled
  • Deactivate the 'secret finding implant' in the medbay
  • Implants granting a weapon proficiency level bonus now also grant a proficiency reward bonus so it becomes more viable to level up more than one weapon type
  • Added an option to bind jumping/ducking from blocking to the left stick (when using a controller)
  • Jumping/ducking from blocking can now also be done by pressing the bound keys for moving forward/backward (when playing with mouse and keyboard)
  • Tweaked hitboxes of the staff wielding security guards' attacks
  • Tweaked hitboxes of some enemies wielding fork lift weapons
  • Tweaked hitboxes of some enemies wielding two handed weapons
  • Tweaked the timings for the perfect block window for the player
  • Improved behavior of the Security Guard.
  • The music in Ops will no longer play after the player has died and respawned.
  • Improved behavior of the Black Cerberus when his attacks are blocked.
  • Elevator positions have been adjusted to avoid waiting for an elevator after dying.
  • Proximity Sensor no longer emits a beeping sound when an enemy is locked.
  • Character is now invulnerable for a short time after a finishing move is finished.
  • Increased the duration of the stamina buff triggered when collecting enough Tech Scrap to be worth a level up.
  • Reduced the stamina cost for continually blocking.
  • Increased the time for the continual block stamina cost to begin.

Jams775

I don't know if it has been posted yet, but this game has great Steam controller support. Works perfect out of the box and even has its own icons and controller layout image.

h0tp0ck3t

Do blueprints carry over to ng+ ? I dont want to build every set...

I believe so. At quick glance I had everything still in the build menu
from what I can tell the only things you lose are audio logs(I've picked up ones I know I had already at least), the coins from Smelters, and most likely Security Clearance from
Black Cerberus

Also funny spoiler from starting NG+
The first drone you fought in NG gets flying tackled by a Twin Rigged Black Cerberus armored grunt. Was not expecting that lmao

I was wondering if the game was gong to get any kind of serious DLC.

Area 5 spoilers
Getting to play as Malory (the girl Sally was guiding before Warren) would be neat.

Lom1lo

I believe so. At quick glance I had everything still in the build menu
from what I can tell the only things you lose are audio logs(I've picked up ones I know I had already at least), the coins from Smelters, and most likely Security Clearance from
Black Cerberus

Also funny spoiler from starting NG+
The first drone you fought in NG gets flying tackled by a Twin Rigged Black Cerberus armored grunt. Was not expecting that lmao

Okay thanks, how does the building in ng+ work ? I assume all materials have no use now since the new low point is mkVI

bati

Okay thanks, how does the building in ng+ work ? I assume all materials have no use now since the new low point is mkVI

Pretty much, but the costs are pretty steep so at the very least you save some scrap by upgrading sets to V first. Also, my nano cores transferred over but I don't know if they come into play again at mk10. Someone on youtube did say that upgrades continue past that though, he was already on mk 15-20 but at that difficulty armor doesn't matter because you get one or twoshot by everything.

Jingo

Ok a couple of questions from the newbie:

How do i know what rig do i need to pass the scan doors?

What is proficiency here?

Do you use energy to boost atacks or somerhing? I feel like i need to put all my implants on health!

Thank you

Zutrax

Ok a couple of questions from the newbie:

How do i know what rig do i need to pass the scan doors?

What is proficiency here?

Do you use energy to boost atacks or somerhing? I feel like i need to put all my implants on health!

Thank you

1. You'll know, it's an obvious progression gain later in the game, you won't get it until the just before the last area.

2. Proficiency adds damage to a weapon based on the level your proficiency is and what the proficiency scaler for the weapon is, so basically the higher level proficiency you have and the higher your proficiency scaling is for a weapon, the more damage boost proficiency gives you.

3. Energy activates your drone technique, is used for some implants, and is used for your finisher, the little icons on the energy bar indicate how high energy needs to be to use them. For instance your finisher move can be activated when the energy bar is past the little saw icon. I'd recommend spending some implants on health, as it's the only way to not get one shot by some enemies, but make sure to mix and match a bit too.

Man, Volatile Spectre is amazing, just melts everything that doesn't have high elemental defense, which there are only two types of enemies and for those is the imperator lol I dare to say it's the best weapon in the game, nothing even comes close. With Nano upgrade it's just stupidly powerful. Very high elemental damage and very few enemies with resistance to it. Combined with Lynx attack speed bonus hits hard and fast, with really good impact too, love it.

I have seen some heavy screen tearing and more frame-drops, the further I progress in the game. 60fps mode on PS4 Pro.
Its mostly stable, but happens here and there.

pa22word

So has anyone managed to survive the BC trashmob if you start the fight early yet? I jumped down there in NG+ and was dead in like 4 seconds xD

I wonder if the game gives you anything for it?

Jingo

1. You'll know, it's an obvious progression gain later in the game, you won't get it until the just before the last area.

2. Proficiency adds damage to a weapon based on the level your proficiency is and what the proficiency scaler for the weapon is, so basically the higher level proficiency you have and the higher your proficiency scaling is for a weapon, the more damage boost proficiency gives you.

3. Energy activates your drone technique, is used for some implants, and is used for your finisher, the little icons on the energy bar indicate how high energy needs to be to use them. For instance your finisher move can be activated when the energy bar is past the little saw icon. I'd recommend spending some implants on health, as it's the only way to not get one shot by some enemies, but make sure to mix and match a bit too.

THank you, im on area 3 and i need all the health i can have, guess i gotta take some time doing some variations on implants.

pa22word

And conquered.

Defeated Rogue Process with a final level of 70.

First phase is hard but easy in the right context, you just gotta avoid that damn tail.
Second phase is just a weaker but more agile version of Black Cerebus

Pro tip:
When that overload station reopens, go for it, don't keep trying to damage it

I have no idea what the fuck the ending meant. But I really enjoyed The Surge, not quite ready to replay it because the Nucleus is bullshit haha but I'll revisit this game I'm sure. #2 game I've played overall this year.

And just remember

You cannot miss what you have never seen before.

BTW probably in the minority here but I liked the Heads Up With Don videos. Don Hackett
is a tragic character, a company yes man who took his own life because he couldn't deal with the lies and deceit.

Discovering him via hanging in the green room was upsetting especially after the passing of Chris Cornell (unrelated but relevant) but yeah, that shit was dark.

Hell of a game.

As to the ending: remember
what happened to Mallory
?

Personally, the plot was kinda disappointing after all the themes the game presents it basically ended up
being System Shock 2 all over again
. Which is fine and all, but coming off the heels of Prey which I beat not a few days before starting this which subverted that exact plot it's kinda amusing to see it in this game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wrapping up Gravity Rush 2 and was thinking of starting this up next. But that patch looks substantial, so I think I'll wait for it to hit PS4.

pa22word

As to the patch: I think they went way too far on Black Cerberus. He gave me some difficulty on NG, but I just totally trashed him on NG+. They significantly nerfed the hitboxes on his sweeping swings, one of which I swore hit me but I dodge in and did a combo instead. I probably beat him in around 2 mins or so >.>

Also, still getting phantom parries with the Security forces >.<

Question about Jo and her room
I ran through the poison gas,
opened her room and collected the audio log. I did not grabbed the weapon on the table and looked on google if it's safe to take. Seems like you can get a trophy later, if you don't take the weapon. Did I already fucked up because I entered the room and listened to the audio log?

Jinroh

I reached the second level and I've spent a good 2 hours trying to progress to no avail. From what I played I think lords of the fallen is much, much better. It had beautiful environments, varied enemies, good looking set of armors, etc.

I never felt the game was frustrating, unlike the surge. I'm starting to regret my purchase, the game feels way too boring.

pa22word

Question about Jo and her room
I ran through the poison gas,
opened her room and collected the audio log. I did not grabbed the weapon on the table and looked on google if it's safe to take. Seems like you can get a trophy later, if you don't take the weapon. Did I already fucked up because I entered the room and listened to the audio log?
I don't think so? You can give it back to her later.

pa22word

Hm, I was reading the sunglasses won't be there, if you take the weapon. And you get the trophy for the sunglasses later.
Oh, I dunno I totally missed that quest on my first run so they were sitting there waiting on me when I came back at the end of the game lol

From what I played I think lords of the fallen is much, much better.

Absolutely not, The surge is so much better than LotF. Is is harder? To some might be but in general the game isn't really that hard. Even tho The Surge is a souls game, it has so much nice and original ideas in it, ideas that helps the game keep its own identity.

You can't just play it like Dark Souls and hope for the best. Learn the combat, learn games mechanics, learn your strenghts, exploit enemy weaknesses. Be smart about your armor and implants, find armor set with bonus that works for you, use the weapon you are good with and you will succeed. Frustration will only lead to the failure.

Or the game simply might not be for you, and that's ok, not every game is or has to be for everyone.

renzolama

Wow, those are broad changes to the mechanics/gameplay. As someone who was struggling a bit with the combat feeling tedious with certain builds/areas (but still really enjoying the combat mechanics in general) I like most of what I see in the notes.

DrSlek

I think I just found the last shortcut before the boss in the second level. There's still 1 area I can see that isn't reachable near OPS, past the RHINO enemy. There's a deactivated exolift that leads up to a small platform. I can see the exit to a service tunnel up there too, but I have no clue of how to reach it. All the twists and turns of the level seem to take me away from where that location would logically be.

I assume I might have to come back later, and that it probably has something to do with the flamethrower wielding guards I can see in a window a short way into the level from OPS.

I think I just found the last shortcut before the boss in the second level. There's still 1 area I can see that isn't reachable near OPS, past the RHINO enemy. There's a deactivated exolift that leads up to a small platform. I can see the exit to a service tunnel up there too, but I have no clue of how to reach it. All the twists and turns of the level seem to take me away from where that location would logically be.

I assume I might have to come back later, and that it probably has something to do with the flamethrower wielding guards I can see in a window a short way into the level from OPS.

Yeah, you'll get there later in the game.

How many drone modules are there?

I have the basic range attack, melee attack, freeze, shield and magnet. Is there anything else? I don't want to miss anything.

TheRed

I don't know if it has been posted yet, but this game has great Steam controller support. Works perfect out of the box and even has its own icons and controller layout image.
Yeah I've been really happy with it. This and Prey got bonus points from me just for that. Good stuff.

Wow, what a great game it's been so far. I'm 34 hours in and currently parked at the
Nucleus final boss
shortcut. My character is pretty OP at level 90, and I'm thinking I could comfortably travel back to earlier areas to look for secrets, collectibles, etc. I can come back to face the
Rogue Process once I've maxed my rig at level 105
. I just don't want it to end, not yet! :p

Top Bottom