• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 sells through 1 million units on Day 1 in NA, best start in PS / console history

Regarding Ben and Arthur's opinions of gaming, the PS4 and GAF, I'll say this; does a man care for the opinion of a fly before he swats it? Unlikely. They deserve whatever shitstorm comes their way over this and hopefully they lose readers /viewership. Journalist like this need a quick death, to be swatted so to speak. Solid journalist are who should thrive.

More than excellent.

In a day they hit around 2/3rds of WiiU's NA userbase. In one day they hit a unit tally it took the Wii two NPD reporting periods to achieve.

If they've got the stock available they could be the NA home console market leader for this gen this month. And unless it just completely craters they definitely should be by Dec. It may not translate to continued success... but that's unknowable currently. What we have to go on are these very very impressive first day numbers.

The software lineup is incredibly strong. They will be able to hype up Planetside 2, DriveClub, Infamous, The Witness, Galak-Z, Dying Light, Watch Dogs, Destiny Beta, Destiny itself, Final Fantasy 14, Diablo 3, Deep Down, etc, for their early 2014 lineup. So you will have no shortage of games hitting and being on display for the PS4. From launch till March Microsoft basically has nothing coming. So advantage will again stick with the PS4.

The same can be said throughout 2014 from what I am seeing. Software is what sells systems and the PS4 has a massive amount of it. With the major releases hitting in 2014 and between all the great releases you have quality F2P and indie software to keep your plate warm with. I really do not see a single month from launch till 2015 where Sony does not have SOMETHING worth waiting for on the PS4.

I think sales will remain strong due to this for a very long time. We do not even know half of what is coming out in 2014 especially from the East.

Things will be get VERY interesting if the PS4 is well received in Japan. VERY interesting software wise.

If for example Capcom decides to finally make a true console Monster Hunter? Boom.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
That number is very impressive, does it guarantee that PS4 will dominate this gen? No. Does it mean that Sony can challenge Microsoft in territories that they once lost to Microsoft last generation? Yes.

Why is it they feel the need to hide on twitter and taunt? Just come in here and say what you feel directly where we dwell - on this forum. We can be civil about our differences.

I want to see that guy from Bonus Rounds reaction. The one who kept hyping up every lame feature on the xbox one as if he was a PR dude. I think his name was alex something

ibadGUXhMwdnFi.gif

MrMephistoX

The software lineup is incredibly strong. They will be able to hype up Planetside 2, DriveClub, Infamous, The Witness, Galak-Z, Dying Light, Watch Dogs, Destiny Beta, Destiny itself, Final Fantasy 14, Diablo 3, Deep Down, etc, for their early 2014 lineup. So you will have no shortage of games hitting and being on display for the PS4. From launch till March Microsoft basically has nothing coming. So advantage will again stick with the PS4.

The same can be said throughout 2014 from what I am seeing. Software is what sells systems and the PS4 has a massive amount of it. With the major releases hitting in 2014 and between all the great releases you have quality F2P and indie software to keep your plate warm with. I really do not see a single month from launch till 2015 where Sony does not have SOMETHING worth waiting for on the PS4.

I think sales will remain strong due to this for a very long time. We do not even know half of what is coming out in 2014 especially from the East.

Things will be get VERY interesting if the PS4 is well received in Japan. VERY interesting software wise.

If for example Capcom decides to finally make a true console Monster Hunter? Boom.

True based on MS exclusive output over the last few years but Kinect Fitness and Titanfall have potential to be huge. Then again it's wrapped in a LIVE subscription so it's not quite Wii Sports level Killer APP. Who knows if KI does well maybe we'll get some other near dead IP out of Double Helix that's multiplat?

Biker19

Banned
Standing in line on Black Friday is a pretty safe bet. No word if Sony will get any shipments out before then (one this friday would be amusing), but a shipment for black friday is pretty much a sure thing.

Yeah, I also suspect that they're gonna wait until Black Friday before they start bringing out more PS4's (or if they happen to come before BF, they will probably let retailers not sell them until then).

Sony wants the system to be very big on one of the most biggest holidays of the year.

qko

I too was wowed when i read about the 24 hour sell-through
but I'm trying not to read too much into it.

Why not? the Wii U is a dud and the Xbone is having all the launch problems... Sony has won the generation and pretty soon with Nintendo going bankrupt and Microsoft selling off the Xbox division, Sony will be the lone video game console standing.

m0t0k1

Why not? the Wii U is a dud and the Xbone is having all the launch problems... Sony has won the generation and pretty soon with Nintendo going bankrupt and Microsoft selling off the Xbox division, Sony will be the lone video game console standing.

I dont know what is more funny your vision or the guy happy about his ps4 surviving. Thanks for the laugh.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Talked to a Walmart clerk in my small town. They had 8 PS4's for pre-order and got 15. Sold them within an hour of launch.

They have units in the back right now but are holding them for Black Friday.

Square2015

Compare with day one PS2.
I did some digging through my old sales data notebooks and found this:
It was posted on a Japanese forum in early 2001:

DAY ONE PS2 SALES (USA only, not sure if NPD or CSFB)

1 Madden NFL 2001 122,178
2 Tekken Tag Tournament 75,268
3 SSX 43,475
4 Ridge Racer V 23,490
5 NHL 2001 20,127

HW 309,414
SW 530,122

3 SSX 43,475
4 Ridge Racer V 23,490
5 NHL 2001 20,127

HW 309,414
SW 530,122

Interesting if a certain website is to be believed then sales for a single game on PS4 trounced all Day one SW sales on PS2
it's that banned website if its not clear

Sony has to make sure their first party exclusives aren't divisive and are true system sellers, otherwise the momentum will come to a halt. They have to start delivering on that "potential" very soon. First up is Infamous and I hope it delivers seeing as how I paid off my preorder already.

If it means delaying some games, then they have to do that. I'm glad they did it with Driveclub. We can already see some of the returns on that delay just by watching the new vid.

HardRojo

I wonder how it is living in an alternate reality. I don't think Nintendo's going bankrupt any time soon and MS selling off the Xbox division is not a certain thing yet.

Ikaruga!

Neo Member
It's pretty surreal how the PS4 got to where it is.

It's like Microsoft and Nintendo pulled a Vita.

I'm not really surprised! It's good that Sony is launching late in Japan. And it's damn funny, the first playstation ever not to launch firs or the same time in Japan and it's breaking records here and there. :D

Toxa

Got it here, the 372k opening week, and the rest from what data I could gather:

* = projections from various sources, sorry it couldn't be more concrete but I couldn't find SOLD figures for them (SNES, PS3, PSP). Please help if you do indeed have them.
[ ] = just means handheld

Game Boy was pretty much the first system to actually have a launch.

thank a lot nice job

craig.gif

lol Man what did I just read?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Terry Travis said:
3 SSX 43,475
4 Ridge Racer V 23,490
5 NHL 2001 20,127
It's curious just how badly the SW performed in that period(especially stuff like R5) - if this was sales-age today people would be proclaiming the system dead for SW...

Square2015

It's curious just how badly the SW performed in that period(especially stuff like R5) - if this was sales-age today people would be proclaiming the system dead for SW...
Remember though all PS2 SW was competing with The Matrix ;) that was the best selling "title" day one.

Steroyd

It would have been expected for the PS1 to have the bulk of the sales and money of consumers at that time, that said the threshold of bombas would be much lower because games were alot cheaper to make.

teiresias

I don't think it's that unbelievable. Despite the console's high price point at the time, it was still being bought by a good amount of non-price conscious (to a degree) videophiles that saw it as both the cheapest and best Blu-Ray player at the time. Buying it with that intention is not going to result in huge gaming software attach rate.

Joni

3 SSX 43,475
4 Ridge Racer V 23,490
5 NHL 2001 20,127

HW 309,414
SW 530,122
An attach ratio of 1,5 on launch day is good, no?

Top Bottom