• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One Backwards Compatible lOT2l: Who would want to play these games?

SimonM7

It's slower-paced much more atmospheric than the other Halo games. The story is played out through flashbacks, which is also unique to the series. It also has, in my opinion, some of Marty O'Donnell's best soundtrack work in the entire franchise. But it still does feel very much like a Halo game, so if the other Bungie games didn't grab you from a gameplay perspective, I'm not sure ODST will either.

But hey, for a lot of Halo fans it's their favorite game in the series, at least from a single-player perspective. Personally, I love it.

As a Halo fan, I still sign off on all of this. Although it's probably my second, thirdish favourite, with Halo CE still at the top.

Topspin 4, Fight Night Champions, Burnout Revenge and Need 4 Speed Hot Pursuit will see my 360 going in the trash.

Crysis wouldn't go amiss either.

Synth

I would've thought that Halo 3's population experienced a boom after it hit BC, but I suppose not.

Why would it?

Halo 3's been playable at a much higher res and framerate natively on the console via MCC for ages now, and that game's been practically given away over the years.

Why would it?

Halo 3's been playable at a much higher res and framerate natively on the console via MCC for ages now, and that game's been practically given away over the years.

Black Ops 1 exploded when it hit BC, so some sort of boost wouldn't have been unreasonable to expect, but yeah, I think MCC is the reason here.

NaviLink

Likely nothing particularly noteworthy. They’re bumping everything up to the August 2017 build or newer. Odds are they’re just setting a new baseline build. They did this last summer with the June 2016 emulator build. Most games should basically be the same as before, but some may get minor performance boosts from 14+ months of accumulated work on the emulator.

Also, BC updates are basically always that size. They replace the full emulator, which is about a half-gig.

Thank you very much for your explanation! Makes sense.

So I and mostly my GF have been playing Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise. I remember this title having a lot of frame issues when your gardens were full and just generally not being very smooth. I could be wrong, but it's running so much better than I remember now on the Xbox One than it did on the 360. Seems to run at a solid 30fps with no noticeable dips.

Marker007

Has there been any comment on the original Nier coming to BC on Xbox One? Played Automata recently and I really wanna play the original again.

RedToad64

Has there been any comment on the original Nier coming to BC on Xbox One? Played Automata recently and I really wanna play the original again.
It is not available digitally on the 360 marketplace, so I doubt it will ever come. I'm not saying that it will never happen, but as of right now it looks unlikely.

HYDE

Banned
6 games left I want to be BC...

1.Ninja Gaiden 1
2.Ninja Gaiden: Black
3.Ninja Gaiden 2
4.Halo 1
5.Halo 2
6.Vanquish

v0rtikal

well... as some people have mentioned, delisted games have almost 0% chance of becoming available as BC, therefore you better forget about Ninja Gaiden 2 on X1.

Tapejara

NG2 was delisted? Why?

I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶d̶e̶l̶i̶s̶t̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶a̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶e̶s̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶e̶a̶r̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶[̶u̶r̶l̶]̶h̶t̶t̶p̶:̶/̶/̶d̶e̶l̶i̶s̶t̶e̶d̶g̶a̶m̶e̶s̶.̶c̶o̶m̶/̶x̶b̶o̶x̶-̶3̶6̶0̶-̶g̶a̶m̶e̶s̶/̶[̶/̶u̶r̶l̶]̶ ̶S̶o̶u̶n̶d̶s̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶n̶e̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶G̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶D̶e̶m̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶g̶i̶n̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶.̶ Edit: I am wrong there was a digital version that was delisted.

Worth noting there's a difference between a game being delisted and game that never had a Games on Demand version. I'm guess NG2 just never had a GoD release, but I don't think that makes it an unlikely candidate for backwards compatibility. The lack of a Games on Demand release could be due to various reasons ranging from lack of developer interest to technical (I once heard Insomniac describe their early PS3 games as lacking certain 'hooks' for a digital release), whereas a delisting is almost always due to legal reasons. Many older 360 and PS3 games lacks digital versions on their respective storefronts. We've also had games without GoD versions come to BC before (Mass Effect 2/3, DOOM 3 BFG).

Similarly, NieR isn't available digitally, but that's due to it never being released digitally (neither on PSN nor XBL), rather than a delisting.

komarkaze

I don't think it was ever delisted, as it doesn't appear here http://delistedgames.com/xbox-360-games/ Sounds like there was never a Games on Demand version to begin with.

Worth noting there's a difference between a game being delisted and game that never had a Games on Demand version. I'm guess NG2 just never had a GoD release, but I don't think that makes it an unlikely candidate for backwards compatibility. The lack of a Games on Demand release could be due to various reasons ranging from lack of developer interest to technical (I once heard Insomniac describe their early PS3 games as lacking certain 'hooks' for a digital release), whereas a delisting is almost always due to legal reasons. Many older 360 and PS3 games lacks digital versions on their respective storefronts. We've also had games without GoD versions come to BC before (Mass Effect 2/3, DOOM 3 BFG).

Similarly, NieR isn't available digitally, but that's due to it never being released digitally (neither on PSN nor XBL), rather than a delisting.

I have the digital version of NG2. Never owned the disc version. I don't think the website is accurate.

FyreWulff

I don't think it was ever delisted, as it doesn't appear here http://delistedgames.com/xbox-360-games/ Sounds like there was never a Games on Demand version to begin with.

Yeah, a lot of earlier 360 games are missing digital versions solely because the 360 didn't support full disc games being sold as digital releases until much later in it's lifespan. Not many publishers went back and made digital versions of their games.

Versus PS4/Xbox One where publishers are quite literally forced to have a digital version.

edit: and yeah, PS3 games initially were only allowed to install something like 4GB at a time onto the hard drive. They couldn't install themselves in their entirety, so some games could have had issues with being run off a hard drive as they'd still be hard coded to install parts of themself (again) to it. 360 releases were a little bit easier since none of them could assume a hard drive was present, so it was closer to just emulating them being run of a disc and they Just Worked.

Tapejara

I have the digital version of NG2. Never owned the disc version. I don't think the website is accurate.

Thank you for the correction. I'll amend my post. I'm curious what got it delisted then. I know the digital versions of Sigma 2 (Vita/PS3) are still available on PSN. Looking it up, it seems I forgot Microsoft published the original version of NG2, so I'd guess that's what's tying it up.

Yeah, a lot of earlier 360 games are missing digital versions solely because the 360 didn't support full disc games being sold as digital releases until much later in it's lifespan. Not many publishers went back and made digital versions of their games.

Versus PS4/Xbox One where publishers are quite literally forced to have a digital version.

edit: and yeah, PS3 games initially were only allowed to install something like 4GB at a time onto the hard drive. They couldn't install themselves in their entirety, so some games could have had issues with being run off a hard drive as they'd still be hard coded to install parts of themself (again) to it. 360 releases were a little bit easier since none of them could assume a hard drive was present, so it was closer to just emulating them being run of a disc and they Just Worked.

Thanks for the extra info!

Damn, so whatever the hold up for NG2 is we can be sure it will be the same for NG Black.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

EDIT: Let's make a petition asking for Ms to forego their publishing rights and give it all to Tecmo, so at least we can have the games as BC.

nelo_inc

Damn, so whatever the hold up for NG2 is we can be sure it will be the same for NG Black.

EDIT: Let's make a petition asking for Ms to forego their publishing rights and give it all to Tecmo, so at least we can have the games as BC.

This. Ninja Gaiden 2 would be one of the 360 games that could benefit immensely with
Backwards Compatibility, that frame rate..

v0rtikal

this is exactly the reason I never wanna go 100% digital on consoles. These licenses issues are such bullshit....and I'm pretty sure pirates can play these games without problems.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I find it weird that games MS funded such as Crackdown, Ninety-Nine Nights, Infinite Undiscovery and other early JRPGs are still not BC!

As shitty as N3 was, I loved the shit out of that game. Would love to see it show up.

Oynox

this is exactly the reason I never wanna go 100% digital on consoles. These licenses issues are such bullshit....and I'm pretty sure pirates can play these games without problems.

Of course they can. I think every 360 game ever is playable on JTAG consoles if that still is a thing. I think pirating is always the best way of game history preservation. Only problem is that it is mostly illegal around the world.

So we need to wait for licenses nonetheless.

bjork

You guys think Crackdown will become BC when Crackdown 3 is closer to release? I was playing it some yesterday on 360 and was surprised it wasn't already on the BC list.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You guys think Crackdown will become BC when Crackdown 3 is closer to release? I was playing it some yesterday on 360 and was surprised it wasn't already on the BC list.

I do, I think they're sitting on it for Crackdown 3.

Oynox

I prefer 2 but I guess they will come to BC eventually bundled with Crackdown 3.

Vote for Ninja Gaiden II BC - https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/298503-backward-compatibility/suggestions/8377218-ninja-gaiden-2

1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 186,131
  2. Skyrim 178,720 [Remastered for XBO]
  3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 134,366
  4. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 121,824 [Remastered for XBO]
  5. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas 80,962
  6. Batman: Arkham City 79,272 [Remastered for XBO]
  7. GTA V 62,024 [Remastered for XBO]
  8. Batman: Arkham Asylum 59,529 [Remastered for XBO]
  9. ̶H̶a̶l̶o̶ ̶4̶ 58,479 [BC]
  10. ̶H̶a̶l̶o̶ ̶3̶ 56,643 [BC]
  11. L.A. Noire 48,921 [Remastered for XBO]
  12. ̶S̶a̶i̶n̶t̶s̶ ̶R̶o̶w̶:̶ ̶T̶h̶e̶ ̶T̶h̶i̶r̶d̶ 44,517 [BC]
  13. Dishonored 42,561 [Remastered for XBO]
  14. Dead Island 38,289 [Remastered for XBO]
  15. ̶H̶a̶l̶o̶ ̶3̶:̶ ̶O̶D̶S̶T̶ 36,673 [BC]
  16. Mafia II 36,323
  17. ̶F̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶A̶n̶n̶i̶v̶e̶r̶s̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶ 34,806 [Confirmed]
  18. Forza Motorsport 4 33,608
  19. Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3: HD Edition 33,600
  20. Crackdown 33,233
  21. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag 32,655 [Resmastered for XBO]
  22. Resident Evil 4 30,729 [Remastered for XBO]
  23. Resident Evil 5 30,666 [Remastered for XBO]
  24. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Blacklist 30,458
  25. Max Payne 3 30,364
  26. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition 29,807
  27. Need for Speed Most Wanted 29,731
  28. Dragon Age 2 29,641
  29. Mortal Kombat 29,527
  30. Fable Trilogy 29,074
  31. Crysis 3 28,158
  32. Tomb Raider 27,582 [Remastered for XBO]
  33. Dead Rising 2 25,567 [Remastered for XBO]
  34. Saints Row 2 24,758
  35. NCAA Football 14 24,283
  36. Resident Evil 6 23,970 [Remastered for XBO]
  37. Dead Rising 23,525 [Remastered for XBO]
  38. ̶H̶a̶l̶o̶:̶ ̶C̶o̶m̶b̶a̶t̶ ̶E̶v̶o̶l̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶A̶n̶n̶i̶v̶e̶r̶s̶a̶r̶y̶ 21,971 [BC]
  39. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction 21,971
  40. Crackdown 2 21,708
  41. Final Fantasy XIII 21,066
  42. Assassin's Creed Liberation HD 20,522 [Remastered for XBO]
  43. Dante's Inferno 20,308
  44. Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 19,584 [Remastered for XBO]
  45. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare 19,522
  46. Battlefield 1943 18,147
  47. Ghost Recon: Future Soldier 18,092
  48. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen 18,036 [Remastered for XBO]
  49. Deadpool 17,863 [Remasterd]
  50. Silent Hill: HD Collection 17,798
  51. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition 17,594
  52. Crysis 2 17,481
  53. DARK SOULS II 17,463 [Remastered for XBO]
  54. Saints Row 16,703
  55. Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning 16,683
  56. Forza Motorsport 3 16,654
  57. Midnight Club: LA 16,563
  58. Destiny 16,485 [Remastered for XBO]
  59. Ninja Gaiden 2 15,983

Pool https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/298503

You know I've never really thought about it, but I recently realised that it's hard to get any sort of answer (much less a sane one) out from Koei-Tecmo. And after reading this thread about the Blue Reflection PC port, I'm convinced their bubble is so strong, KT could use a few sessions of acupuncture.

Diabolical

Neo Member

Microsoft having publishing rights for NG2 is not a problem at all. That's actually a good thing (for those of you who chose not to keep your 360 and hope for BC). The crew at Tecmo could still be the ones obstructing this. They own the IP and have a say in whether it gets added to the program or not.

Or...

...it could be "technical issues" that the BC team is intentionally holding certain games back for. I'm convinced this is the reason why many games take longer to get confirmed. This might be one of them.

B4D1E

I just had a thought. I guess we won’t have new BC games tomorrow since they’ll certainly announce the GWG for October 😕

Top Bottom