• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Paul Gale Network Bullshit: "Star Fox Metroid: Fusion Saga" isn't real (no shit!)

Conor 419

Banned
These Retro E3 rumors keep getting more ludicrous with each passing week .

Updated List

Metroid Prime 4
Metroid Prime 3DS
Donkey Kong Country Returns 2
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3DS
Zelda
Sheik spinoff
Star Fox
F-Zero
New IP
Doctor Mario MMO
Eternal Darkness 2
Starfox x Metroid

Conor 419

Banned
I would play the shit out of this.

As I posted before, Retro are probably shitting themselves at the thought of how the fanbase will react when they find out this is what they're actually working on opposed to all of these other wacky concepts.

You've given them a small sigh of relief though.

Izick

If this rumor is fake, does PG and his site get banned from Gaf?

I feel like it's not fair that he's going in-depth about this rumor, but at the same time completely back-pedaling and saying that it's probably just a rumor. Part of me feels like it's just another desperate plea to get hits. Although, I really do wish it was real, because it would be awesome, but I'm not getting my hopes up. He's just saying a lot weird specific stuff that just makes it feel like it's one of those weird up things

Don't know. Hope it's legit, but come on.

MisterHero

If this rumor is fake, does PG and his site get banned from Gaf?

I feel like it's not fair that he's going in-depth about this rumor, but at the same time completely back-pedaling and saying that it's probably just a rumor. Part of me feels like it's just another desperate plea to get hits. Although, I really do wish it was real, because it would be awesome, but I'm not getting my hopes up. He's just saying a lot weird specific stuff that just makes it feel like it's one of those weird up things

Don't know. Hope it's legit, but come on.
He outright stated he gets dozens if not hundreds of rumors every week and publishes them. A GAFer could probably email something he made up in 2 seconds and get it posted. If that isn't a giant risk for error/misrepresentation I don't know what is.

Izick

He outright stated he gets dozens if not hundreds of rumors every week and publishes them. A GAFer could probably email something he made up in 2 seconds and get it posted. If that isn't a giant risk for error/misrepresentation I don't know what is.

Fair point, it's just that the details he has just seem really weird though. They're specific about like the beginning of the game, and then there's this:

Paul Gale said:
Star Fox – Metroid: Fusion Saga is wholly a satisfying adventure game as Samus, an equally electrifying aerial combat game as Fox, and something that delivers an exciting, special change that fans will love.

Which reads like something on the back of the box instead of something factual or something tangible about the game. Plus he says he doesn't know if this is even what they're working on, or rather something that was kicked around, and I'd think that would kind of be integral to my decision if I were putting my reputation on the line by posting it.

backlot

To be fair I think you're misquoting him. He didn't say he published every rumor.

Trike

Post credit scene spoilers:
Star Fox and Samus just saved the universe, and are about to part ways. But then suddenly Bowser and Ganondorf appear and disable them both. Just before the finishing blow Mario and Captain Falcon knock them away.

Samus: W-what happened?! Adam!
Captain Falcon: Adam is dead.
Mario: The Smash Brothers tournament has begun.

Star Fox and Samus just saved the universe, and are about to part ways. But then suddenly Bowser and Ganondorf appear and disable them both. Just before the finishing blow Mario and Captain Falcon knock them away.

:lol

Izick

It all makes sense.

Updated List

Metroid Prime 4
Metroid Prime 3DS
Donkey Kong Country Returns 2
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3DS
Zelda
Sheik spinoff
Star Fox
F-Zero
New IP
Doctor Mario MMO
Eternal Darkness 2
Starfox x Metroid

Looking at this list, I'm going to take a wager and say that Retro will be showing off one 3DS game and one new Wii U game (the proposed new franchise).

DKCR seems like the most logical choice for a 3DS release. since they already worked out the formula with the Wii game. Plus they wouldn't need a large team to get the job done, since they could always port over game assets from the Wii tittle. It seems like such a safe bet to me.

The other Wii U title, well.... at this point, I have no idea what to think. The previous Star Fox rumor sounds plausible enough, but that wouldn't classify it as something that fans have been clamoring for Rare to do. Star Fox + Metroid sounds insane, such a combination could either be a disaster or a pure stroke of genius. I don't really buy into this rumor much at all.

It will be interesting to see what they have to show off.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
To be fair I think you're misquoting him. He didn't say he published every rumor.
Yep.

At the end of the day though, more people tell me to share what I have, even if it sounds stupid or outlandish. Even still, I don't put up everything I get because there's way to much crap.

Only the occasional "wow" rumor will I put up and if there's some chance it's legit. In this case, it was the only follow-up to an article I put up as indeed fact, back in April, 2011 and that was of Retro Studios developing a Wii U game that was something that would please everyone.

Hiltz

Given how absurd the story was in Subspace Emissary, I'd be willing to believe Sakurai will steal your idea for Smash Bros. 4.

RagnarokX

I've always felt that if a game bridging all major Nintendo franchises were to be made Metroid, Star Fox, Kirby, and F-Zero would be key to connecting everything. There have been hints in the past that those games share a universe and being capable of space travel would allow them to connect to franchises that rarely leave their planet/realm.

Getting hung up on Fox being a humanoid animal is kinda silly. He could just be from a sector of the galaxy where that thing is more normal. Plus it's not totally outside the realm of Metroid. I mena, Samus was raised by anthropomorphic bird people after all.

But I'd prefer if they went full out and made a fun multi-universe rpg or something.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Fine crazy rumour, I'll play Battletoads vs Double Dragon again. Accursed "realistic" art style merging with a anthropomorphic amphibians that will forever ruin everything.

NateDrake

This.

He publishes the ones he has heard from other sources & believes to be true. In this very story he says this may have never left concept stage & the rumor he heard may just be that the concept was pitched at one point but never given the green light.

Anth0ny

Smash Bros backstory. That's what I'm talkin about!

Nintendo universe needs to go full Marvel universe at this point. Link randomly shows up in Galaxy 3, Samus is playable in the next F-Zero, Donkey Kong is the final boss of Pikmin 3...

Izick

I hope the guy is right, but I'm just starting to wonder how credible this stuff is after the whole Ninja Turte rumor. That and the bullet points just don't feel...I don't know, right, for lack of a better word. They don't give any tangible stuff. Also, it would have been nice to have some idea as to why this could have been just a conceptual idea; I'm guessing that whatever Retro is making, it's been in development for quite some time now, and way past conceptual ideas, and if he knew about this rumor for a couple of weeks, then why would he share something that is really old? How is this project something "everyone wants [Retro] to make?" I'm pretty sure there was no huge SF/Metroid crossover clamoring.

Some stuff just doesn't add up quite right to me.

SmithnCo

Nintendo universe needs to go full Marvel universe at this point. Link randomly shows up in Galaxy 3, Samus is playable in the next F-Zero, Donkey Kong is the final boss of Pikmin 3...

No thanks. Makes Smash less special and dilutes everything.

Bentendo

I know you're kidding (probably?) but a new crossover universe would be kind of boss. It would HAVE to be as silly as possible though. A user posted something about having a crossover series with the humor level of Paper Mario. This would be required or else it would be embarrassing to watch. Just have fun with the characters (ala KI: Uprising) and put them in wacky situations. Samus is a completely different character to Link and seeming them fight each other / alongside each other (imagine the Avengers) seems cool but would be stupid if it wasn't meant to be cool AND silly at the same time. And when you start adding Mario and crew it gets even farther out there. I personally felt Brawl's Subspace took itself too seriously.

RagnarokX

No thanks. Makes Smash less special and dilutes everything.

It would still be non canon, but it works.

Metroid, Star Fox, Kirby, and F-Zero franchises are all often spacefaring. Mario, DK, and Yoshi all take place on the same planet. Zelda on another planet. Fire Emblem on another. And so on. You could start the game with Mario, have it be like an action RPG, maybe Super Paper Mario done right. Then the story shifts to one of the space franchises and introduces an interstellar threat. It could be fun. Especially if Sakurai wrote it.

Here are Fox and Falco as G-Zero racers in one ending from Star Fox Command :p

yEgQs.png

Metroids have appeared across franchises in Kid Icarus games and Kirby. Dreamland 3 even had a Samus cameo. KIU also had outer space gameplay and space pirates. A well-written big crossover game would be harmless fun.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This dumb rumour gave me nightmares.

Madao

WAAIIITTTTTTT

ISN'T F-ZERO THE ONE THAT IS SUPPOSED TO CROSSOVER WITH STARFOX TO REGAIN MINDSHARE?!?!

this crossover sounds so weird and will do more damage to both series than what Other M did to metroid 2 years ago.

hey nintendo, the world isn't ending in 2012. don't destroy both series.

SmithnCo

Metroids have appeared across franchises in Kid Icarus games and Kirby. Dreamland 3 even had a Samus cameo. KIU also had outer space gameplay and space pirates. A well-written big crossover game would be harmless fun.

I like the RPG idea, if it was well written like the M&L games it could be hilarious. I just don't wan them to overdo it on cameo stuff in the mainline games.

Neiteio

Will never be cannon, so whatever.

I trust Retro in gameplay though, so no worries...
Well of course it won't be "cannon," why would Retro be making a device to launch projectiles at pirate ships?

Now whether it's canon, on the other hand... What if the brain inside Andross was Mother Brain all along?

Eusis

Will never be canon, so whatever.

I trust Retro in gameplay though, so no worries...
After Dinosaur Planet, who knows? Similar to what EatChildren said on the first page, maybe this is something like an inverse of the logic behind Other M: make such an absurd crossover, and make it OFFICIAL, so no one can take story seriously in Metroid ever again and thus any further attempts at doing it seriously will fall limper than Other M did.

Hmm... my sources tell me its this:

Samus and Fox defeat Andross. They get into a friendly argument over how they're going to split the bounty.

Out of the shadows steps Mario, wearing an eye patch.

"I'd-a like-a to talk-a to you about the N-Team Inititiative! Woo Hoo!"

FADE TO BLACK

SAMUS AND FOX WILL RETURN IN CAPTAIN N

Top Bottom