• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Silent Hill 2, 3 & 4 PC thread - A guide to a better HD Collection

Is the Xpadder profile for Silent Hill suppose to have you hold down the start button to ready your weapon and then press a to attack on my Xbox 360 controller? It's totally uncomfortable and doesn't feel right.

Everything else seems to be mapped fine.

5olid_5nake

Any chance that the original sounds from ps2 be transferred over to pc? Any news on that?
Once I heard the difference, I could never go back to the PC version :/.

Also, the custom fog is really nice.

Anyone downloaded the wrapper for Silent Hill 4?

I get this message from Firefox when I click on the link, not sure if that`s normal

This web page at ps2wide.net has been reported to contain unwanted software and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Unwanted software pages try to install software that can be deceptive and affect your system in unexpected ways.

Corpekata

Banned
Anyone downloaded the wrapper for Silent Hill 4?

I get this message from Firefox when I click on the link, not sure if that`s normal

This web page at ps2wide.net has been reported to contain unwanted software and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Unwanted software pages try to install software that can be deceptive and affect your system in unexpected ways.

Try it via PCgamingwiki: http://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/694-silent-hill-4-wrapper-by-nemesis/

Worked for me, on Chrome.

The wiki is a good source for files like that given guides like this thread can get outdated for various reason.

Help, I'm an idiot. How do I apply the Silent Hill 2 proxy, and what do I do about the fog effects and other modifications after so I don't mess things up?

hitgirl

Finished Silent Hill 2 for the first time. Played it on Ps2 emulative at native resolution. Holds up really, really well. One of the better games I've played in awhile. Going to play a few other games then jump into SH 3 on PC.

- J - D -

The SH2 fog fix does make the pc fog look great now, but it seems pretty resource intensive. Modern rigs with a decent gpu should be fine, however. But on my modest pc I either have to choose between good fog @ 30fps or default fog @ 60fps. I'm glad that at least we now have the option for PS2-level fog quality on pc though.

Wait, the installation folder is the one with the game itself right? That's where I messed up, I think. I think I didn't pull out the proxy's info and just put the folder there instead.

Kohlstream

Neo Member
Posted some new Steam icons for SH 2,3 and 4 that i made today. They are based on the PAL PS2 box art for each game.

Silent Hill 2

PpxuRXu.jpg
5UjMWrF.jpg

XzQCdKJ.jpg
sM4QdiC.jpg

P5wBJFB.jpg

Silent Hill 2: Director's Cut

aTrh1yU.jpg
XJOO62Z.jpg

5IBWQPj.jpg
wK7ave3.jpg

pb6ZK4d.jpg

Silent Hill 3

pNdwMO9.jpg
XdowRSI.jpg

7MpxeAQ.jpg
eGYTfay.jpg

QNaf5TI.jpg
ZugxJ8E.jpg

RFyUAoP.jpg

Silent Hill 4: The Room

FlQ6swN.jpg
VJWGPE0.jpg

eu24Mz4.jpg
un2IGnY.jpg

cSmd2tL.jpg
QRP9rT0.jpg

Silent Hill 4: The Room (non cover art icons)

Zahs5Ks.jpg
4xuVyRQ.jpg

Ru9PZbD.jpg
DQzcpLq.jpg

pp2k4uM.jpg
nliIU4r.jpg

wRNG7lg.jpg
Tld6N8B.jpg

mde1UjE.jpg
WXQnil3.jpg

Jazzem

Hiya guys, excuse the thread bump;

Having a weird issue on SH2, where if I load the game from Steam and select the in game options it'll crash. Anyone know why that might be?

EDIT: Another options weird thing actually; in SH3, it takes circa 10-15 seconds for the options to load :/

EDIT x2: Argh and SH3 crashed after finishing the dream sequence at the start!

killatopak

I should probably play all of them though I wish it was available on consoles for trophies at least.

Haven't played 2 and 3 and only watched my father play 4.

zma1013

So I just learned there was a PC version of Silent Hill 2 released a long time ago. What's the deal with that version, why don't people play that one? Does it still work on the new Windows?

So I just learned there was a PC version of Silent Hill 2 released a long time ago. What's the deal with that version, why don't people play that one? Does it still work on the new Windows?
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, however:

The PC port was not handled by Team Silent, unlike Silent Hill 3- and thus does not include a decent amount of the particle effects and fog style of its PS2 equivalent. Most- if not all? - of its .exes include the Maria bonus chapters. I don't know about current compatibility but it certainly works in Windows 7 with some configuration, controller supported and everything.

Another reason is it's simply much easier to find a Greatest Hits copy of PS2 Silent Hill 2 and emulate it rather than mod old exe's to work with evolving Windows standards.

Ratio

Neo Member
I even thought about buying another CRT, but i'm not much into retro gaming, and i'm usually fine with emulation, so the only real thing would be playing Silent Hill.

-
Anyway, here's the camera bug:

0MlBzuH.jpg

Keep in mind that when looking all the way down, the camera doesn't move at all, so it's probably something to do with that (like, the base camera becomes the camera locked all the way down).
Especially since in the F3 alternate hospital, the bug isn't present at the very start of the long hallway with all the rooms, because that particular area has a fixed isometric-ish camera.
So it has to do with the free cam i think.

This issue has been addressed, along with other bugs, in the latest version of the Widescreen Fix:
https://github.com/ThirteenAG/WidescreenFixesPack/issues/224

Here's a video showcasing some of the fixes in action:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=878F2cbLAXo

And an installation guide for all of this:
http://widescreenfix.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/

The Silent Hill 3 Widescreen Fix (from the same makers of the SH2 Widescreen Fix) is still in active development and probably your best bet. The only thing it is currently lacking compared to deprecated fixes is a better fog solution:

https://thirteenag.github.io/wfp#sh3

so I downloaded both files, shproxy3.ini and d3d8.dll, (from this https://github.com/07151129/sh3proxy/releases)
however, I can't run the game full screen. it starts as window mode, when I change to fullscreen, it crashes. IF I remove the .ini file from SH3 folder and just keep the d3d8 file, it runs fine. what is going on?

Oemenia

Banned
I tried playing SH3 on PCSX2 and on hardware mode its missing all the nice post-processing effects giving the game a much more dull look.

On the PC version I have used the widescreen fix but my framerate is terrible (my GPU is a GT 740M). Firstly how can I improve my framerate and how can I remove the noise filter without removing the other post-proc effects. Lastly how good is the widescreen fix compared to SH3 proxy?

IceLancer

Neo Member
Hey there!
I am heaving issue with exiting game after playing, game just wont exit.. cant kill it with taskbar either, mouse is hidden so i have no mouse control ..only way to kill it is by force logout or win restart , any ideas?

IceLancer

Neo Member
Hey there!
I am heaving issue with exiting game after playing, game just wont exit.. cant kill it with taskbar either, mouse is hidden so i have no mouse control ..only way to kill it is by force logout or win restart , any ideas?
Sorry there is no edit button..
i forgot to mention
win10x64 ,ati rx470, intel 2500k

IceLancer

Neo Member
damn wheres the edit button..
well..nvm i found my fix.. something was fuzzy in no cd ..using original game exe and game works fine, no more exit issues

DareDaniel

Banned
First of all I want to say that this thread is amazing. I'd never been into the Silent Hill series until now.

I followed the Silent Hill 2 for PC guide and it looks so good. Game is amazing and an improvement to the original which I played previously. An instant favourite for me. I didn't use Xpadder because I didn't want to pay for it. Instead, I used DS4Windows on my Dualshock4 which required some additional mapping on this software.

Then I tried the Silent Hill 3 for PC but I couldn't really figure out how it works. Framerate was terrible and I couldn't use my Dualshock 4 properly no matter what. So for this game I'm using PCSX2 and it still looks really good. Plus, I didn't have to worry about all required mapping.

GenericUser

Sorry to bump this thread, but I wanna ask if somebody was able to use the DS4 controller with SH2? I use ds4windows and while the controller IS working, I can't figure out how I can use the D-Pad for directional inputs. It always defaults to the left analogue stick and I'm unable to change it.

Last edited:
I love Silent Hill 4, but i feel that it would make a good AVGN video. I emailed Mike Matei about it and he was just like "maybe".

Top Bottom