• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Switch developer information leaked. Reveals A TON incl. hardware specs

Shiggy

Potential for different home menu themes:

Theme

You can change the screen background and text color for the following features.

System Menus, including the Entrance, HOME Menu, and Launcher
System Applications
Library Applets
Black and white color types are available. White is the default. More color types may be added in the future.

jonno394

Still, a November launch would probably have gotten them Pascal so better battery life and possibly more powerful as well. Rush for fiscal year BS.

Don't rumours state that Nintendo got a hell of a deal from Nvidia on Maxwell? If if they waited and used pascal, Switch could possibly have cost even more!

Yep, and they could have launched with a better launch line up. Imagine having a launch line up that consisted of Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 lol.

Plus by then they could have launched with the online service how they want it to be, and given consumers information of how everything actually is.

But instead we find ourselves so close to launch and having to rely on "leaks" to find out about basic U.I features.

Some of you seem to ignore reason. They wouldn't have EVER launched with all of those games. It's called a staggered release. They're weren't going to launch with a bunch of big 1st party games and leave the rest of the months empty/to 3rd parties regardless of when the system launched

you're reading the wrong column of the chart. jeez, why is everybody so confused with this.

The hardware supports 4k video output, but the OS does not support that function at launch. That's all we know right now. Support like that can easily be added with software updates.

Yep, and they could have launched with a better launch line up. Imagine having a launch line up that consisted of Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2. Then again the argument would be that they'd have nothing left to release lol.

Plus by then they could have launched with the online service how they want it to be, and given consumers information of how everything actually is.

But instead we find ourselves so close to launch and having to rely on "leaks" to find out about basic U.I features.

They would never do that launch lol. It makes no sense to launch with 4 big games. They would still spread their games out no matter when the system launched.

Erebus

Assuming these specs are final, how does the SoC found in Switch compare to let's say Apple's A10 or Snapdragon 821?

RXfrQ7B.png

Laura Kate Dale said this about thet image right before the unveiling last fall:

https://twitter.com/LaurakBuzz/status/789060714577166336?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

http://letsplayvideogames.com/2017/01/a-deep-dive-on-lpvgs-nintendo-switch-reports-and-info/

The similarities with the final unit were imo always too big to be a mockup.

I was heavily shit on during pre-reveal threads whenever I brought up this image. People were all like "BUT LAURA KATE DALE SAID IT'S FAKE!!!!" and as we all know, Laura Kate Dale is truth incarnate and could never be wrong about anything. Goes to show that even insiders can be dead wrong about stuff. Man I swear the mentality of some people on Neogaf sometimes. I couldn't bring myself to understand how people somehow thought this image could possibly have been faked in advance of the reveal considering every single little detail perfectly matched up with the actual hardware, save for everything that's, you know, expected to be devkit-specific additions such as external antennas, ethernet port, etc.

Shiggy

Where are you getting this from? And how can you have a fixed limit on expandable memory? That doesn't even make sense

It's in this file: NX-System_Features_Guide-1_1-20160930-en-Private/NX-System_Features_Guide-1_1-20160930-en-Private%5Ccontents%5CPages%5CPage_106363296.html

Screenshot Data

Table 3-1 Screenshot Specifications
Item Description
Format JPEG
Size 1280 × 720 pixels (identical to console LCD screen resolution)
Capacity 500 KB or less (TBD)
Supplemental Information Capture date and time, title identifier, signature, and other data stored to the EXIF region.
Capturing

You can take application screenshots by pressing the Capture button. During capture, an overlay notification appears on the upper left of the screen for the application. At the same time, a sound effect is played.

Screenshots are saved either to the system memory or to an SD card. The user can select the save location using the system settings. By default, the SD card is used. Captured data will be saved to the system memory when no SD card is inserted, even when the option to use the SD card is selected.

The restrictions on the number of screenshots for each location are as follows. Saving will no longer be possible when the number restriction is met.

Table 3-2 Restrictions on Number of Screenshots
Save Destination Number of Slides
System Memory 1000
SD Card 10000
Info
The ways to use video capture and application-controlled auto-capture are being considered separately.

E-phonk

Banned
Anyone else a bit concerned with the game card sizes.
Why? 32GB is enough for most games - this is a list for PS4 games with their sizes

nfamous Second Son - 20GB
NHL 16 - 16GB
Destiny: The Taken King - 17GB
Fifa 2016 - 20GB
Tropico 5 - 2.5GB
PES - 18GB
Lords Of The Fallen - 4GB
Watch Dogs - 18GB
GTA5 - 42 GB
Driveclub - 15GB
Dragon Quest Heroes - 22GB
Diablo III: Reaper Of Souls – Ultimate Evil Edition - 26GB
Dark Souls II: Scholar Of The First Sin - 12GB
Divinity: Original Sin - 7GB
Uncharted 4 - 40GB

No. That just lists the sizes they're currently manufacturing probably. Unless bigger card sizes require physical differences, I wouldn't put any thought into it

You're probably right it's still early to make claims about anything unless Nintendo announce it themselves. Just a bit sceptical and given Nintendo's track record with making mistakes.
Other than that I'm pretty excited to buy the switch
when it has a better price with maybe smash or Mario odyssey out

Turrican3

I was thinking that but don't know if these are from a guide or what. There's a blurred one too which isn't very well blurred
There's a straight devkit serial number too... yikes.

Oh well, I guess the ninjas would surely know whether those are sample images or actual development units.

Scrawnton

Don't rumours state that Nintendo got a hell of a deal from Nvidia on Maxwell? If if they waited and used pascal, Switch could possibly have cost even more!
Maybe the deal included cheap pascal eventually as well. An upgraded switch in two years and every two years would be awesome. Same games, just a little better looking or faster.

Why? 32GB is enough for most games - this is a list for PS4 games with their sizes

NHL 16 - 16GB
Fifa 2016 - 20GB
Tropico 5 - 2.5GB
PES - 18GB
Watch Dogs - 18GB
GTA5 - 42 GB
Driveclub - 15GB
Uncharted 4 - 40GB

Uncharted 4 not coming to Switch confirmed :(

Quick someone make a thread

There's a straight devkit serial number too... yikes.

Oh well, I guess the ninjas would surely know whether those are sample images or actual development units.

I'm betting that's an image from the guide sent over by Nintendo. So that serial number wouldn't tell them anything.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I really don't know why you guys do this to yourselves. Every time there's a new bit of info there's this hopeful attitude that "so, is it way more powerful now? is it now X Wii U's and nearly an Xbox One?"

No matter what the final hardware is, its not gonna be in the power bracket of a Xbox One or PS4. Its gonna be in the power bracket of a high end tablet, because that's what it is. And a really good value one it seems.

We're past the point of specs on this I think. We've seen loads of footage,we know what to expect graphics wise. Nintendo 1st party games or those with a distinctive art style will look great. Older games like Skyrim will look great. It won't be able to do like for like multi-platform port of modern games, though seeing as Rise of the Tomb raider or GTA 5 run on 360, there's no reason you wont see scaled down ports.

Quite amazing for a portable machine really
i like you

vern

Yeah hopefully that means it will open an applet in Wi-Fi management but I'm not sure how that would work.

Surely they could just make a browser... Are they really that afraid of hacking.

Also never doubting Vern again.:p

July 15... as I said , heard no browser first in the summer and started mentioning it here and there a month or two later. 😛

Haven't seen any of this stuff before though and only went over the first page of the thread so far, seems pretty legit though.

Cost Nintendo more, not us, and that would only be initially and over months and years it becomes cheaper to manufacture. They were aiming at a $300 price point tops and you know they have profit built into that price. If they earn a little less the first year then that should be acceptable since they get a better system to develop with and we get a better system to play on.

bumpkin

Yep, and I'm annoyed because I would have loved to get into the program as an indie developer and NOT leak NDA'd documentation, but people doing stuff like this makes it harder on every other indie developer.
Same. I emailed Dev support last month asking when Switch stuff would be added to the portal and got a generic, "Future announcements will be posted to the Portal" reply. It's sad that some inconsiderate leaker is providing information before the official release of said information, likely making it harder for indies to get access to any of it (if Nintendo takes notice of this leak and reacts).

EloquentM

aka Mannny
you're reading the wrong column of the chart. jeez, why is everybody so confused with this.
But the left column means the hardware supports it. The right column is what Nintendo limits the console to. Nintendo can update that via firmware presumably.

AetherZX

I think it's real, it must be what DF and Vern saw in july (notice the TX1 specs and the 3.25GB RAM available for the applications).

Btw we heard something about new, more powerful kits in october and we have the foxconn leak from around that same frame time, so this info *could* be outdated. And i hope it is because CPU wise 3 cores at the eurogamer speeds doesn't sound very good, and bandwidth is shit too.

Also, wtf is that crappy restriction with audio?

Has Nintendo ever left bandwidth bottlenecks stick after their customizations? Doesn't seem like a source of alarm.

bomblord1

Banned
I thought this was pretty cool

To display a list of game news items, select the Game News icon. For more information about a news item, click the item in the list. Users can transition not only to news articles and images, but also to the shop and to websites.

When you suspend an application using the home button it will show you relevant news that can take you to web pages or the shop for example.
tnqDe7E.png

z0m3le

Banned
I don't know, it's pretty easy to read.

Left column: theory Right column: reality

Unless it's handled somewhere at the OS level.
There is no clocks in the right column, TBD gpu and 3 A57 cores, the real problem is this information is dated and the subject line you repeat from eurogamer is "at launch" but when eurogamer replied to the Foxconn leaks they said 'the clocks might have changed' and since they don't know the final hardware configuration and Richard said he was sitting on the information for a few months when he made the eurogamer video, and that venture beat's article is how he confirmed his info, it's hard to acknowledge that the newer Foxconn info should be thrown out (november) for info dating back to July and possibly "fall"

Zalusithix

HD Rumble was always a cute name for a linear actuator, just like Taptic Engine ;)

Yeah, but just an LRA? Not piezo? It's better than the ERM haptic feedback that has dominated controllers for ages, but not the best tech for "HD" haptics. Then again, it'd fit with the recent Nintendo M.O. of not using the latest and greatest tech.

random25

I have only checked only a few of the information shown, but the settings are what interest me the most. My thoughts on those:

Flight Mode Toggle - we have seen a screenshot of the flight mode on the sample UI from the reveal so not much surprising.

Enable/Disable Bluetooth - so this pretty much confirms Bluetooth headsets/headphones? I hope it is included.

User Settings - so user account management I assume?

Create/Edit Mii - still alive. Hopefully it's still possible to import Miis from 3DS/Wii U since there's no camera to scan QR code I assume.

Theme management - yey! More themes!

All of these are pretty much what we already know of by default:
Manage Wi-fi
Manage NFC
Manage screen brightness
Screen lock
Controller management
System Update

Persona7

Banned
Why include an applet if they are avoiding a browser for security issues? It sounds like it might only be available to devs though.

I was heavily shit on during pre-reveal threads whenever I brought up this image. People were all like "BUT LAURA KATE DALE SAID IT'S FAKE!!!!" and as we all know, Laura Kate Dale is truth incarnate and could never be wrong about anything. Goes to show that even insiders can be dead wrong about stuff. Man I swear the mentality of some people on Neogaf sometimes. I couldn't bring myself to understand how people somehow thought this image could possibly have been faked in advance of the reveal considering every single little detail perfectly matched up with the actual hardware, save for everything that's, you know, expected to be devkit-specific additions such as external antennas, ethernet port, etc.

Your martyr complex is honestly kind of sad at this point. You've been playing the Switch victim for months now.

I really don't know why you guys do this to yourselves. Every time there's a new bit of info there's this hopeful attitude that "so, is it way more powerful now? is it now X Wii U's and nearly an Xbox One?"

No matter what the final hardware is, its not gonna be in the power bracket of a Xbox One or PS4. Its gonna be in the power bracket of a high end tablet, because that's what it is. And a really good value one it seems.

We're past the point of specs on this I think. We've seen loads of footage,we know what to expect graphics wise. Nintendo 1st party games or those with a distinctive art style will look great. Older games like Skyrim will look great. It won't be able to do like for like multi-platform port of modern games, though seeing as Rise of the Tomb raider or GTA 5 run on 360, there's no reason you wont see scaled down ports.

Quite amazing for a portable machine really
No one does this to themselves. Those who are exclusive PS4 or Xbox One owners on GAF want to obsessively compare Switch to their home console because that's what fanboys do. It's the comparison that GAF is interested in, not the specs of the Switch itself. That's the only way they can justify their console of choice / console they develop for, and also justify whatever angle it is they want the conversation to turn into, sometimes to Nintendo's detriment and sometimes to their benefit.

OCD Guy

Some of you seem to ignore reason. They wouldn't have EVER launched with all of those games. It's called a staggered release. They're weren't going to launch with a bunch of big 1st party games and leave the rest of the months empty/to 3rd parties regardless of when the system launched

They would never do that launch lol. It makes no sense to launch with 4 big games. They would still spread their games out no matter when the system launched.

Of course I'm aware they wouldn't realistically have launched with all of those games.

Even if they launched in November they'd likely still have the same release schedule, i.e launch with Zelda, then release Mario Kart a month later etc.

Although realistically perhaps more time would have resulted in a better launch line up, let's face it the launch line up is terrible. If Zelda (or one of the other games I previously mentioned) wasn't there then I wouldn't buy it, and I'm sure many others wouldn't either.

Games aside, the biggest annoyance for me is the secrecy and withholding information when certain information doesn't need to be withheld. Ok the online service I can sorta see, perhaps they've not mentioned anything as they've not finalised all the details yet themselves.

I can also understand not talking about features that might or might not come. But what explanation is there for not showing us the U.I and talking about the features we will have on launch day?

Shiggy

Your martyr complex is honestly kind of sad at this point. You've been playing the Switch victim for months now.

It was really stupid how people got mad when several people pointed out that it would be too much of a coincidence for that picture to be a fake.

tolkir

NHL 16 - 16GB
Fifa 2016 - 20GB
Tropico 5 - 2.5GB
PES - 18GB
Watch Dogs - 18GB
GTA5 - 42 GB
Driveclub - 15GB
Uncharted 4 - 40GB

So, the biggest game right now must be DQH I-II. Curious if it fits in a 32GB cartridge or it's bigger.

opricnik

Banned

NHL 16 - 16GB
Fifa 2016 - 20GB
Tropico 5 - 2.5GB
PES - 18GB
Watch Dogs - 18GB
GTA5 - 42 GB
Driveclub - 15GB
Uncharted 4 - 40GB

Yeah listing all small sports games def gonna help your cause. If i may ask why you didnt ask their 2017 counterparts instead? FIFA 2017 is 45GB without any patches.

_h8bit

Banned
Create/Edit Mii - still alive. Hopefully it's still possible to import Miis from 3DS/Wii U since there's no camera to scan QR code I assume.

Aren't Mii's tied to your NNID? When I log onto my.nintendo.com my Mii is there so I assume it will act similarly when you log into your account on the console itself.

NHL 16 - 16GB
Fifa 2016 - 20GB
Tropico 5 - 2.5GB
PES - 18GB
Watch Dogs - 18GB
GTA5 - 42 GB
Driveclub - 15GB
Uncharted 4 - 40GB

I'm more concerned with how updates will dealt now as stated before it's too early and yeah most games probably less or equal to 64GB where Nintendo would probably make 64GB cards.

Edit: My question now comes how will Nintendo handle updates a game like DOOM had HUGE update for the multiplayer. While DOOM might be an exception most games have day one patches that arnt small. I know a solution is to buy a bigger sdcard but how long till we all need a 1TB as sdcard just for updates

Uncharted 4 not coming to Switch confirmed :(

:( But I wanted Uncharted and Halo on my switch preorder placed then cancelled. Nintendo you better go 3rd party now so I can play Mario on the Ps4 then Microsoft does the same and then sony just makes PC games so I can play them all on the PC.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Kymc.png

Undocked it has153 Gflops compared to the 176 Gflops of the WiiU. And docked 384 Gflops. But different arquitectures so it's not 1:1 comparison with flops.

Are these numbers accurate as per the Eurogamer leak? As in calculated FLOPS?

I don't care for people extrapolating with architecture differences or Nvidia VS AMD FLOPS. Raw numbers please.

Yep, and they could have launched with a better launch line up. Imagine having a launch line up that consisted of Mario Kart, Zelda, Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2. Then again the argument would be that they'd have nothing left to release lol.

It would be a great launch, but two are ports, Mario was probably in development for Wii U for a year or two then switched over, and I wouldn't even call Splatoon 2 a sequel. So I'd be really concerned if they had nothing in the pipeline for 2018 since we're really just getting Wii U leftovers initially.

Top Bottom