• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey |OT| Book One: Reborn

holy crap I never expected dreamfall to have a sequel @_@

it ended on such a cliffhanger too, it's awesome that we get more storyline.

Off-topic, I know but I loathe the new "same day" OT's. Half of the time I don't have time to pay attention to what's launching due to life demands that I use the OT's in Gaming to tell me what's coming up so I can order or budget for them. Case in point with this game...had no idea this was coming until now. Ugh.

jamsy

Fully? Yes.

If you're content with an incomplete picture, with trips to the community wiki to fill in the gaps, then you'll be fine. Not if you want to fully immerse yourself in the story, though.

I hope you're able to work your technical problems out. Maybe it's a compatibility issue?

Thanks. Guess I'll try to give it another go and pray it stops crashing. I've always heard good things about the story in The Longest Journey.

inm8num2

Off-topic, I know but I loathe the new "same day" OT's. Half of the time I don't have time to pay attention to what's launching due to life demands that I use the OT's in Gaming to tell me what's coming up so I can order or budget for them. Case in point with this game...had no idea this was coming until now. Ugh.

For PC games the Steam thread OP usually has a good rundown of monthly/upcoming releases.

Just checked the Steam page - says 2 hours to go.

Yessssss! That tweet sounds like it's in processing at this point and now it's Valve's turn to take a look and verify it for publishing :D

On the one hand, it gave me extra time I needed to get it done like I wanted.

On the other hand, it creates a lot of confusion. There were multiple questions if there was an OT for this game last night, and the staggered release for backers meant I had to get clarification for when I could post it (for the record, it was deemed OK to post it when backer distro starts.)

I dunno, I understand not wanting an OT to reach 200 pages before launch, but having discussion fragmented among older news threads while waiting for the OT to go up was, IMO, worse. And I suspect it'll happen with other games as street dates inevitably get broken.

Mononoke

Banned
Holy god, I have been waiting forever for this. I didn't even know it was out today! Does anyone know how long Book 1 is aprox? Or is that not out there yet? I'm trying to decide if I should just wait for the entire thing to come out before playing.

EDIT: I guess that info might not be out yet. Damn. I'm twitching with excitement. Going to wait and see what people say first.

Ricker

Kickstarter stuff when the game comes out always confuses me...so Episode 1 is out on Steam for 30 bucks....for everyone or just the people who pledged...? also is this a Walking Dead type thing with the episodes...? if I grab it for 30 bucks,does that include the other episodes or just this one....not really explained in the OT...

DAMN! I forgot this was coming out. I need to get caught up on the storyline.

Its been years since the last game came out and I forgot some stuff.

Kickstarter stuff when the game comes out always confuses me...so Episode 1 is out on Steam for 30 bucks....for everyone or just the people who pledged...? also is this a Walking Dead type thing with the episodes...? if I grab it for 30 bucks,does that include the other episodes or just this one....not really explained in the OT...

I believe you just pay for book one. The first installment is supposed to be 12 hours long anyhow, so I feel it's priced fairly

epmode

I believe you just pay for book one. The first installment is supposed to be 12 hours long anyhow, so I feel it's priced fairly

The first installment is definitely not 12 hours. This is the first of five parts.

I'm almost done with it and I think I've been playing ~four hours. It's potentially a lot shorter if you critical path it but you probably shouldn't be playing this game if you're trying for that. There's a lot of optional stuff to see and hear.

Vlodril

The first installment is definitely not 12 hours. This is the first of five parts.

I'm almost done with it and I think I've been playing ~four hours. It's potentially a lot shorter if you just critical path it. There's a lot of stuff to see, though.

then it can't be 30 for each part that would be insane :)

Sober

Anyone know when the physical editions are supposed to show up? I totally just realized this came out today. Got my humble key and all but other than confirming my shipping address and all that a year ago I haven't gotten any notice if it shipped or not yet.

epmode

Anyone know when the physical editions are supposed to show up? I totally just realized this came out today. Got my humble key and all but other than confirming my shipping address and all that a year ago I haven't gotten any notice if it shipped or not yet.

This is an episodic game that won't be finished for some time. I doubt that the physical versions will ship until then.

It's out? Dang, they haven't sent out my backer key.

You should have gotten instructions in the project updates. Your key is probably in your humblebundle page. Go to this link and request your keys:

https://www.humblebundle.com/resender

dreamfall

Good God, Europolis is so beautiful. I could spend days wandering there just exploring all the little technical flourishes.

Soooo rad!

I'm almost done with it and I think I've been playing ~four hours. It's potentially a lot shorter if you critical path it but you probably shouldn't be playing this game if you're trying for that. There's a lot of optional stuff to see and hear.

Correct. But its not that long.

Ah my bad, read somewhere earlier in the thread that it was that long. probably misread it

NZNova

This is an episodic game that won't be finished for some time. I doubt that the physical versions will ship until then.

You should have gotten instructions in the project updates. Your key is probably in your humblebundle page. Go to this link and request your keys:

https://www.humblebundle.com/resender

The last project update I got was "we're retesting our last build and will send out the keys later", a few hours ago. Has there been another one since?

jb1234

This is the first Kickstarter game I've funded that's been released. As such, I felt all sentimental when the "thanks to all our backers" message popped up. ;)

Story recap is greyed out. That's unfortunate because I really wanted to see it. :( Ah well.

Vlodril

crashed in the first cutscene. of course. also any reason why the story recap is greyed out? (i am guessing its the first two games recap and not something else which it could be ).

epmode

Neat!

I didn't get a physical copy so I guess I didn't pay attention. Figured it was a prototype.

The last project update I got was "we're retesting our last build and will send out the keys later", a few hours ago. Has there been another one since?

Did you try the key request?

They posted instructions here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey/posts/1025347

any reason why the story recap is greyed out?

I assumed it would be ready in time for launch. Guess not :(

GavinUK86

crashed in the first cutscene. of course. also any reason why the story recap is greyed out? (i am guessing its the first two games recap and not something else which it could be ).

I was wondering about that too. I figured it would be a cutscene to catch people up. The game does that pretty well later on anyway.

For anyone who's downloaded the update and made it to the city, is the lens flare bug still happening? or any major slowdown?

Vlodril

well i can't seem to get past the intro it crashes at the same point
the boat starting to leave
. don't want to skip the start of the game either even if its possible (i am not sure it is).

epmode

For anyone who's downloaded the update and made it to the city, is the lens flare bug still happening? or any major slowdown?

It's a complex game in Unity so I think performance will be an issue regardless. As for the lens flare bug, are you sure there's a bug in the first place? It looks like they're going for an Abrams Star Trek thing.

Karak

I was wondering about that too. I figured it would be a cutscene to catch people up. The game does that pretty well later on anyway.

or any major slowdown?

Its happened for me all the time. And yes still get fps issues but it has been playable always. Just a bit bombastic in the FPS department.

Oh its no problem. Just wanted people to not get surprised when it didn't go quite that long:)

Yeah it was this post here:

I'd suggest playing it. Even though it was from the Xbox era, the PC version is really well done. It supports all sorts of aspect ratios, resolutions and controllers. Load times are practically non-existent.

While it's a ~12 hour game, that's almost all content. There are very few puzzles, and what's there is very easy.

He was referring to the original Dreamfall. My fault for skimming lol

Anywho, I've recently migrated to a Mac, so I have to reinstall Steam. Does anyone know how large the download is? Kinda hoping it's under 5 GB otherwise I won't be able to play til like 10 with my super slow internet :l

Karak

Yeah it was this post here:

He was referring to the original Dreamfall. My fault for skimming lol

Anywho, I've recently migrated to a Mac, so I have to reinstall Steam. Does anyone know how large the download is? Kinda hoping it's under 5 GB otherwise I won't be able to play til like 10 with my super slow internet :l

No probs man!
2.9 gigs.

jb1234

Game is freakin' gorgeous. But yeah, it chugs a bit on my system. :(

(Also, I couldn't find my name in the backer credits! Heartbroken!)

Karak

Game is freakin' gorgeous. But yeah, it chugs a bit on my system. :(

(Also, I couldn't find my name in the backer credits! Heartbroken!)

Ya I have a 980gtx and still had some severe drops in places. Such is life. Still playable but noticable none the less.

Top Bottom