• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Space 3 Game Informer Details [Use new thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Not really sure what to think of this... co-op, a cover system?

I usually like cover systems, but eh...

steven28

Does dead space really need a cover system ?...i really don't want to play dead space gears of war style...hopefully it will only be used very sparsely.. when you are against a group of armed enemies or something.

Jarmel

Banned
Let the breakdowns begin!

Cover system's aren't inherently bad so I'll wait and see how everything pans out.

teraMEL0S

Yeah, I don't really know what to make of this. This is definitely pulling the franchise further into the action game spectrum, but the series has always been pretty action oriented. Plus, the addition of co-op over competitive multiplayer makes more sense for this series. All I know is that Dead Space 2 was horrifying, and if I can play DS3 with a friend over Live and get the shit scared outta me, they will have done a job well done.

Truant

Let the breakdowns begin!

Cover system's aren't inherently bad so I'll wait and see how everything pans out.

People aren't angry because cover systems suck, they're angry because the implications of a cover system in Dead Space means more combat, which means less survival horror.

RiverBed

Banned
I have a dilemma. Can anyone help me or am I screwed?

I LOVE DS! Up until yesterday, it was the only game I bothered to platinum (yesterday was BF3). The problem? I bought DS2 on Steam and soon learned I should have double checked if it had controller support. It doesn't. I tried and I tried to play with the stupid k/b & mouse, but even on easy, I got stuck with in minutes playing the game. I am NOT enjoying the game at all due to the input controls.

Is there anything that could be done AT ALL to solve this? Or is my only option is to bite down and buy a PS3 version? I can't let DS3 release while I still haven't played 2...:(

Shtof

Awesome details. Hyped for this game. And yes, I'm one of those people who liked DS2 better than the original.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

I LOVE DS! Up until yesterday, it was the only game I bothered to platinum (yesterday was BF3). The problem? I bought DS2 on Steam and soon learned I should have double checked if it had controller support. It doesn't. I tried and I tried to play with the stupid k/b & mouse, but even on easy, I got stuck with in minutes playing the game. I am NOT enjoying the game at all due to the input controls.

Is there anything that could be done AT ALL to solve this? Or is my only option is to bite down and buy a PS3 version? I can't let DS3 release while I still haven't played 2...:(
Well, you can either use a 360 controller, or do this: https://help.ea.com/article/how-to-configure-a-generic-usb-gamepad-natively-in-dead-space-2

I guess you have the PS3, so you should have a Dual Shock 3.

Use this: http://www.motioninjoy.com/

Didn't tried it with DS2 but I never had any problem with most games.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Cripes...a whole bunch of whining and speculating going on here considering we havent seen any gameplay or anything yet. Im willing to give it a chance.

GrayFoxPL

Made my first ever custom gif.
I had to after reading the news.

iKzeD4uewMpFP.gif

Ziltoid

Unconfirmed Member

Derrick01

Banned
Cripes...a whole bunch of whining and speculating going on here considering we havent seen any gameplay or anything yet. Im willing to give it a chance.

We have more than enough info to be worried about the direction it's taking. The "give it a chance" people this past week have become increasingly annoying.

AHA-Lambda

We have more than enough info to be worried about the direction it's taking. The "give it a chance" people this past week have become increasingly annoying.

Oh God yes, some people are way too naive with these games.

I'm not sure after hearing this news, I need a trailer to sell me on it, although tbh I was getting kinda tired of Dead Space after finishing DS2.

nel e nel

We have more than enough information to be optimistic about the direction it's taking. The 'it's going to suck' people this past week have become increasingly annoying.

We have more than enough information to be optimistic about the direction it's taking. The 'it's going to suck' people this past week have become increasingly annoying.

What about the info (apart from the larger levels) is grounds for being optimistic?

Universal ammo? Cover system? More enemies? Enemies with guns? More ammo drops.

You're right, I've seen the error of my ways, game sounds shit hot, yo.

AwShucks

Wait, are you serious? The people that are assuming it's going to be shit are the annoying ones. But then again, that's 90% of neogaf w/ 90% of every game announced. You could give these guys the best steak in the world and they'd be worried it won't taste good. Guess you fall into that 90%.

I'll just enjoy what will hopefully be an awesome game and you can continue being "worried" for little to no reason. Your loss.

Derrick01

Banned

Hurr Durr.

That only works when the opposite doesn't look completely ridiculous.

Loving what I'm reading. I'm indifferent to cover. Don't see it ruining anything, and I'll probably never use co-op. Other than that, sounds like they're going all out this time. Loved the first 2 so I'm sure I'll enjoy this one.

Universal ammo, fucking finally.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Oh God yes, some people are way too naive with these games.

I'm not sure after hearing this news, I need a trailer to sell me on it, although tbh I was getting kinda tired of Dead Space after finishing DS2.

The fact that i dont consider a problem the same things you do, doesnt make me naive.

Derrick01

Banned
The fact that i dont consider a problem the same things you do, doesnt make me naive.

Well congrats then they're making this game just for you apparently. Dead Space fans I imagine are pretty steamed going from this thread.

As for me I just hate seeing things dumbed down. It's not a good practice for anything in this industry, it doesn't matter I don't care for DS that much. I'd hug them if I could cause I've been in their place before.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
What are you 5?

No but I think you might be if you can't figure out why I said that. He reversed my comment around and it made no sense in this case. Too busy trying to be clever.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Mk, co-op is fine, but wtf @ universal ammo and Cover system. I get that you'd probably need cover against human enemies, due to the way the shooting works, but why are we fighting a bunch of humans on a necromorph infested planet anyways?

Universal ammo is....meh, they are going to need to fine-tune it to hell if they want to not slide even further down the action-horror bar than they did in DS2. Though I suppose you need more ammo if the areas are large/open and not scripted like DS1 and 2. Skippable side missions could really change how much ammo is being used by people depending on how much they do.

Well congrats then they're making this game just for you apparently. Dead Space fans I imagine are pretty steamed going from this thread.

As for me I just hate seeing things dumbed down. It's not a good practice for anything in this industry, it doesn't matter I don't care for DS that much. I'd hug them if I could cause I've been in their place before.

I'm like one of the biggest Dead Space fans on GAF and I'm not steamed. At all. Don't put words in my mouth in my typing on this post. I trust Visceral games as they've delivered three great titles in the past few years. They've earned some trust from me. I'd rather wait for real... evidence before passing judgment.

linko9

Not too pumped about this... there are plenty of other games that do this sort of thing, I wish DS would just stick to more isolated horror (with no cover system...)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
What about the info (apart from the larger levels) is grounds for being optimistic?

Universal ammo? Cover system? More enemies? Enemies with guns? More ammo drops.

You're right, I've seen the error of my ways, game sounds shit hot, yo.

What the hell is wrong with more enemies?

Frankly, I don't think there's anything wrong with having to fight Unitologists sometimes. That's a very natural progression of the story. Unless it becomes the focus of all combat, I don't see the issue. There will still be tons of necros.

Likewise, I'm sure cover will be nearly useless against necromorphs. If they left cover out but kept the Unitologists, people would bitch too.

I think we need to hear more about the ammo situation, and the gun customization, before drawing conclusions. That could be an issue, but let's see exactly how it works. Maybe it's something like universal base units for ammo, but different types use up more units and you have to choose carefully what to invest in.

Visceral has done a damn fine job with this franchise so far. It seems particularly stupid to jump up and proclaim doom and gloom. They've earned the benefit of the doubt. Let's wait for further details and footage next week.

I'm like one of the biggest Dead Space fans on GAF and I'm not steamed. At all. Don't put words in my mouth in my typing on this post. I trust Visceral games as they've delivered three great titles in the past few years. They've earned some trust from me. I'd rather wait for real... evidence before passing judgment.
Liar.

You're not one of the true fans.

Dysun

DS2 was amazing. But universal ammo pick ups and cover are so not what I wanted. Nor is coop. Ugh I just wanted more of the same in a new location

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

No but I think you might be if you can't figure out why I said that. He reversed my comment around and it made no sense in this case. Too busy trying to be clever.

How about you quit generalizing and assuming that what you consider dumbed down applies to everybody else. Fact remains that noone has played it or seen any footage yet and youre acting like they turned it into Superman 64 type shittiness.

And my hurr durr comment stands, its childish and unnecessary

Derrick01

Banned
Liar.

You're not one of the true fans.

Heh.

It is hard for me to believe how not just a fan, but one of the biggest would like these changes. If someone claimed to be a massive splinter cell fan and said they thought conviction was a great SC game I'd call them a liar on the fan part.

So now we have co-op, larger more open areas, more plentiful ammo, universal ammo and a cover system all on an ice planet.

Really doesn't sound like a DS game at all.

Derrick01

Banned
So now we have co-op, larger more open areas, more plentiful ammo, universal ammo and a cover system all on an ice planet.

Really doesn't sound like a DS game at all.

Larger and more open levels could be a good thing if it's handled right. Extremely linear cramped corridors all of the time is a bad thing and crushes replayability but yeah the rest of that is awful. I don't pretend to be a horror game expert but tons of ammo, co-op and cover kind of goes against what they try to do.

Heh.

It is hard for me to believe how not just a fan, but one of the biggest would like these changes. If someone claimed to be a massive splinter cell fan and said they thought conviction was a great SC game I'd call them a liar on the fan part.

Well, I'd say "fuck you". Visceral's developed two of my favourite games in the current generation. I will give them the benefit of the doubt since they have never let me down. I don't mind the changes because I trust in the company to make a good product for their consumer, ie me. Also, I'd rather wait for substantial information to pass judgment on anything rather than half of GAF which screams silently inside that their favourite franchise has been RUINED FOREVER before playing it or trying it for themselves.

You think it's not possible for someone to be a fan of a franchise and still like something from that franchise that is completely different? Honestly, I don't give a fuck how different they make it as long as it's good. I liked Conviction. It's a fucking fun game. Is it like the old Splinter Cells? No, but you know what, I don't really care, because Conviction is fun.

And what I really hate the most is people like you who say that I can't be a fan of something just because I don't mind change. I don't want the same old stale thing for years on end. I like new, I crave new. I just want good games. That's it. Max Payne 3 threads were filled with this same bullshit and it really, really pisses me off.

Look, I won't try to deny you your opinion. I'm sorry if I come off like that. You're entitled to it. But don't ever say someone isn't a true fan or bullshit to that effect because they are okay with change or because they are excited or because they are optimistic. Fuck your jaded cynical viewpoint if that's the case.

Derrick01

Banned
I like change too but not when dumbing down is the change. You're getting a regular old third person shooter with these changes, not a horror game. It's easy as hell to see.

And I thought Conviction was an ok game for what it was, a Bourne wannabe. But as a Splinter Cell fan it doesn't exist to me as a SC game, because it does nothing that a SC game does. That's what this is shaping up to be.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Nothing revealed surprised me, most was expected, I assumed we would be getting a cover system after the second one and it was becoming obvious that we would be fighting EarthGov and actual people with guns.

Hopefully if they do a hardcore type mode it isn't "hard" because of saves, I Platinums DS1 but don't generally have time in a long concentrated burst to play with with only 3 saves, silly artificial challenge IMO.

I'm pretty positive on it, but I will really have to see it in action. I really hope this is just part of their natural direction they were going to take with the series and not the dumbing down ME3 ended up getting.

Tunin

Sounds nice. I was afraid when I first heard about co-op and the cover system, but it seems they're really trying to evolve the franchise as a whole (specially with the open world areas addition).
Anyway, I really hope they won't forget the horror elements. DS2 was one of the best games I've played this year (late, I know) and I'm keeping my expectations high for the third game of the franchise.

For the haters, well it's hard to see where this is going, action elements do not turn the game into a bad one, depends on its implementation. The transition from DS1 to DS2 was bumpy as well, but worth it.

greenry

I like change too but not when dumbing down is the change. You're getting a regular old third person shooter with these changes, not a horror game. It's easy as hell to see.

And I thought Conviction was an ok game for what it was, a Bourne wannabe. But as a Splinter Cell fan it doesn't exist to me as a SC game, because it does nothing that a SC game does. That's what this is shaping up to be.

Someone's summarized bullet points are not giving you otherworldly prognostic powers.

Larger and more open levels could be a good thing if it's handled right. Extremely linear cramped corridors all of the time is a bad thing and crushes replayability but yeah the rest of that is awful. I don't pretend to be a horror game expert but tons of ammo, co-op and cover kind of goes against what they try to do.

I'm sure I'm not alone, but I really hope we do get plenty of the claustrophobic dark areas with a heavy emphasis on horror and mind-fucks, but going by this list of stuff, I can't help but think of Lost Planet.

I suppose we'll see.

Derrick01

Banned
Someone's summarized bullet points are not giving you otherworldly prognostic powers.

Well the first time tons of ammo, co-op and a cover system result in a good horror game then it will be the first time ever. Hard to be scared of anything when you've got a bro with you and you're completely loaded with weapons and ammo.

It could still end up being a solid game though. Resident Evil 4 made out ok despite not being horror at all.

sixghost

Dead Space
Dead Space 2

what's the third?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom