• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official hype thread: This is Sakura Wars, and this is why YOU should be excited!!

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Shame about the delay ;_;

RurouniZel said:
lips_img03.jpg

As you can see, it’s anything but cookie cutter.

I get what your going for but using that phrase directly after the ultimate cookie cutter "clumsy fallen girl spilled stuff over herself" picture kinda makes the statement fall flat at least for me! :lol

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

mrklaw

MrArseFace
These kinds of niche games (for the west at least) are something I'd like to see on PSN for PS3 for those that dont have active PS2s anymore

is the wii version straightforward eg using The dpad for moving around menus, or is it all pointer based? For a long turn based game like this I think I'd prefer the simpler more direct UI of buttons

RurouniZel

mrklaw said:
These kinds of niche games (for the west at least) are something I'd like to see on PSN for PS3 for those that dont have active PS2s anymore

is the wii version straightforward eg using The dpad for moving around menus, or is it all pointer based? For a long turn based game like this I think I'd prefer the simpler more direct UI of buttons

From the interviews we've heard, they're not adding much in pointer control.

RurouniZel

Looks like the Website's been updated with more content.

The site looks like it's based off of the original Japanese site when it launched there. Which isn't a bad thing at all. It looks quite nice.

http://www.sakurawars.us/

androvsky

Dedication Through Light said:
I guess Im confused on the two disc release? It is essentially one is the game with English VA, and the other is the game with Japan VA.

Apparently. I would've thought that would hurt sales slightly, since a lot of people will wind up with an extra copy of the game they don't intend to play. I guess that's not much of a concern with niche titles, and maybe it'll help word of mouth for the next games in the series; I dunno. :)

If it's anything like the first three games in the series, it should've been easy to split the game across discs, but I'm not complaining since we get full Japanese VA either way.

RurouniZel

FINALLY, some official English screenshots!! Courtesy of RPGFan.com

ss-037.jpg

ss-054.jpg

ss-056.jpg

ss-057.jpg

ss-058.jpg

ss-059.jpg

ss-062.jpg

ss-063.jpg

ss-067.jpg

ss-097.jpg

ss-079.jpg

ss-070.jpg

ss-112.jpg

It's coming! It's actually coming!!

RurouniZel

jj984jj said:
Why would they release a screen like this?

To show the translated battle interface? Though yes, I can see the bug in the text. They'll iron that out.
At least I hope they will...

Quixzlizx

RurouniZel said:
To show the translated battle interface? Though yes, I can see the bug in the text. They'll iron that out.
At least I hope they will...

On the one hand, I want the game to release as quickly as possible so I can play it. On the other hand, that might not be such a good idea.

The podcast I co-host is setting up an interview with the NIS localization team for Sakura Wars in a couple weeks. I'd really like to get some good questions for them so please submit some if you got 'em! We're PlayStation-focused, but we'll throw in some Wii-related questions if they're good. You can either PM them to me here or email to podcast{at}psnation.org

Just wanna reiterate that I'm not looking to drum up listeners, just want some quality questions from people who actually know of this game's existence. Thanks!

RurouniZel

SavoryCade said:
The podcast I co-host is setting up an interview with the NIS localization team for Sakura Wars in a couple weeks. I'd really like to get some good questions for them so please submit some if you got 'em! We're PlayStation-focused, but we'll throw in some Wii-related questions if they're good. You can either PM them to me here or email to podcast{at}psnation.org

Just wanna reiterate that I'm not looking to drum up listeners, just want some quality questions from people who actually know of this game's existence. Thanks!

Consider yourself PMed. ^^ Let us know when the podcast goes up I'd love to hear it!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Serious question: Do they plan on fucking up this localization they way they tend to fuck up most non-NIS games?

RurouniZel said:
Consider yourself PMed. ^^ Let us know when the podcast goes up I'd love to hear it!

Got 'em, thanks! The interview is scheduled for Dec. 7th so it should be in that week or the following week's show. My co-host posts it on GAF so I'll put a link in this thread when it's up. Please keep sending questions till then, we've got some great ones so far.

Mejilan said:
Serious question: Do they plan on fucking up this localization they way they tend to fuck up most non-NIS games?

Something tells me they may dodge that one if I ask as is. :lol
I'll try to re-word it to be a little nicer.

RurouniZel

boxart.png

Apparently the PS2 version gets two boxarts? Not that I'm complaining, I just need to make sure I get both versions (assuming that's not a reversable box)

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
RurouniZel said:
Except for the main character, yes.
Well, there is that ONE character that's apparently Ambiguous, but yes, they're all female. It's Chose Your Fetish: IN AMERICA Edition. :lol

Well looking at the official site (it seemed to be updated today), I didnt realize how crisp the cutscene (I guess they are cutscene) images look, I feel that it is quite impressive to be honest.

Yakuza 3 is out in march? Lol, sent to die. Well it would probably die regardless.

On topic. I missed this thread earlier. Since it's a srpg that alone warrants my attention. Hope it's as good as the TS claims.

Koren

doomed1 said:
Well, there is that ONE character that's apparently Ambiguous
The game definitely plays with Subaru's gender... Starting from the bonus disc included in in ST3 PS2, there's a "?" as Subaru's gender.

There's some male protagonists, though, besides the main character. The hoshigumi commander Michael Sunnyside, their chief mechanic Wong Xingzhi, and Yuichi Kayama from tsukigumi (intelligence squad).

Edit : I'm still wondering how they'll handle the lack of ep. 1-4. I guess you can do without any informations about Ohgami Ichiro, the past of Ratchet Altair or things like that, but I think some may find strange the appearance of Kayama without any explanations? I don't think they explain who he is in STV, am I wrong?

Durante

So is there only a 2 disc version (utterly awesome by the way) for PS2 or is it on Wii as well? If it is I'd get both. If possible I want to play this on an emulator and then I could see if dolphin or PCSX2 works better.

RurouniZel

Durante said:
So is there only a 2 disc version (utterly awesome by the way) for PS2 or is it on Wii as well? If it is I'd get both. If possible I want to play this on an emulator and then I could see if dolphin or PCSX2 works better.

I'm wondering this as well. Hopefully they just haven't released the cover art for the Wii version, but who knows.

New press release is out, release date got bumped to March 23, 2010.

PS2 is the Premium Version and includes art book, poster and Japanese voice over disc for $39.99

Wii is the regular version with just the English voiceover disc for $29.99

Nice to see the Wii version is less expensive for once.

Edit: d'oh! Beaten :lol

Edit 2:

Our podcast with the Sakura Wars interview is up:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382028

Interview begins around 8:00 if you want to skip right to it.
They literally learned of the release date change 20 minutes after we finished. Had to go back and re-record part of it.

RurouniZel

I admit that's definitely disappointing, but at least the PS2 version is getting the Special Edition. I'll be updating the OP shortly.

Durante

40 USD for the special edition is less than I expected. That's € 27 or so :lol

I'll be getting 2.

[Edit]
Just read this: "NIS America changed some names for the English version, but for the PS2 Japanese disc has English text fitting with the Japanese voices. Hence, original Japanese character names and such. Basically the localization team had to make two different text files for the game."
This is fuck awesome if true (on top of the awesomeness of doing dual discs in the first place). Dual audio is good, but dual audio with real subtitles instead of dubtitles is the ultimate goal and basically perfect. I also think it's the first time this has been done (in a game).

I was going to post this much earlier but I couldn't find the damn thread. :p

Shame about the Wii version not getting the special edition, but the price makes up for it.

I'm peeved that we STILL have yet to get an official Wii screenshot yet. :/

androvsky

Durante said:

I'll be getting 2.

[Edit]
Just read this: "NIS America changed some names for the English version, but for the PS2 Japanese disc has English text fitting with the Japanese voices. Hence, original Japanese character names and such. Basically the localization team had to make two different text files for the game."
This is fuck awesome if true (on top of the awesomeness of doing dual discs in the first place). Dual audio is good, but dual audio with real subtitles instead of dubtitles is the ultimate goal and basically perfect. I also think it's the first time this has been done (in a game).

Yeah, they mentioned that in the NISA interview with PS Nation also. So it's true, minus any editing errors that might creep into the process... ;)

Speaking of that interview, NISA talked about how they wound up localizing Sakura Wars, and it's about the opposite of how a lot of us assumed. Apparently Red approached Idea Factory to make a Wii port of the game, and then Idea Factory approached NISA to localize it. I don't recall Sega being mentioned.

RurouniZel

androvsky said:
Yeah, they mentioned that in the NISA interview with PS Nation also. So it's true, minus any editing errors that might creep into the process... ;)

Speaking of that interview, NISA talked about how they wound up localizing Sakura Wars, and it's about the opposite of how a lot of us assumed. Apparently Red approached Idea Factory to make a Wii port of the game, and then Idea Factory approached NISA to localize it. I don't recall Sega being mentioned.

I found this curious as well. Makes me wonder if they plan to release the Wii version in Japan later.

Durante said:

I'll be getting 2.

[Edit]

Why would they change the names at all then?

androvsky said:

There's a few questions we removed or they didn't want to cover, Sega being one of them. Mostly just because NISA didn't deal with Sega, that all likely took place with Red/Idea Factory and they didn't really know anything about it.

Ramune

SavoryCade said:
There's a few questions we removed or they didn't want to cover, Sega being one of them. Mostly just because NISA didn't deal with Sega, that all likely took place with Red/Idea Factory and they didn't really know anything about it.

Shame I didn't know you guys were taking questions. I obviously had a few, but oh well...

And kudos to Red Co.! A Wii release as well as the PS2 version will get this game in more hands than on PS2 alone. A bit bummed Wii only owners don't get a Special Ed. but the price is more than enough to make up for it! So Sega doesn't even know that this is being released in the US? So sneaky NISA, but I'm glad it turned out the way it did. I just hope this doesn't cause problems in regards to possibly bringing the other games over in some fashion. Regardless, I'm definitely buying both versions along with Yakuza 3 on Day Motha$@#!ing 1! March is going to be so freakin' awesome, yet expensive! I just can't wait!!! :D

Top Bottom