• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Lords Of Shadows appears on Steam Registry

Maedhros

On the registry, it says:

Proof of Prepurchase Only (3)

So maybe, receiving the original LoS when pre-purchasing LoS2 isn't really farfetched.

Bedlam

Great news. This means more fans for this fantastic game.

I may even double-dip, though I wasn't really bothered by the framerate on console (it was only really bad in the very first area of the game, rest of the game was mostly fine).

Durante

This is another case of a game where I wanted to buy it for a while, and just when I'm about to order it the first rumors of a PC version show up and make me wait.

I feel like this one, if it happens, will be very popular in the screenshot threads.

scitek

So maybe, receiving the original LoS when pre-purchasing LoS2 isn't really farfetched.

If it's done, they should let us download the first game as soon as we pre-order just so we can play it before the second releases.

Necrovex

Been interested in trying this game again; I didn't really enjoy playing it on my 360. I'll give it another shot if a PC version is released.

Risgroo

Fuck yeah, hope it's a good port. One of the best games of the gen IMO, should be even better with a half-decent framerate.

Umi88

Screenshot just in case they change things like the naruto one..

yZdeH3r.jpg

Meia

So are we finally approaching the point in the video game cycle where you only buy a console for 3 or 4 series from the one or two companies that stay exclusive to that console and you're much better off having a great computer cause then you play ALL THE GAMES?

I'm ok with this. :)

Derrick01

Banned
Said it yesterday in the steam thread but I'm all over this on day 1 when it comes. Hopefully it's a preorder incentive for 2 since I was going to get that anyway.

Cool if true. I haven't played the game yet, but if this really comes to PC I will sell my PS3 copy and play it with higher resolution and better framerate.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Interesting. I'm always happy to see a Japanese publisher releasing a game on PC, though... yeah, I'm not buying Lords of Shadow.

I'll probably buy it anyway

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
would be funny if the core game goes to 1080p/60 but the cutscenes still remain 720p/24fps video files like the console versions :p

Momentary

Banned
would be funny if the core game goes to 1080p/60 but the cutscenes still remain 720p/24fps video files like the console versions :p

Unless they replace it them using actual game's engine... or were the video files straight up CG? I don't know anything about the cut scenes. I've been on a media blackout from this game since I knew Steam would eventually start getting almost every single multiplat the closer it got to dominating the gaming world.

Derrick01

Banned
Anime shit on GBA where? The two earlier DS games?

The games were better than LoS was anyway.

If you can call copying the same tired formula 3 dozen times better than something relatively new-ish and a LOT more ambitious, then yeah I guess it's "better".

Bedlam

Aria of Sorrow was a game in Japan. The art is far, FAR from anime shit you're talking about.
Nope, the art direction was way too far into anime territory for my tastes. Especially the portraits: http://www.inverteddungeon.com/images/screenshots/ariaa.png

But it's a good game. So is Lords of Shadow.

If you can call copying the same tired formula 3 dozen times better than something relatively new-ish and a LOT more ambitious, then yeah I guess it's "better".
Basically. The Igavanias went nowhere really after the fantastic SotN. I'm glad they found a new direction for the franchise.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

No, it's a common label for games in the registry. Don't read anything into any data you're seeing if you're just looking at this stuff for the first time.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Unless they replace it them using actual game's engine... or were the video files straight up CG? I don't know anything about the cut scenes. I've been on a media blackout from this game since I knew Steam would eventually start getting almost every single multiplat the closer it got to dominating the gaming world.

well .. in the first game on PS3/360 majority of the cut-scenes were some very well done video files based off the game-engine. That's the reason the game's on two discs on the 360, cause they didn't spare any expense on the videos. About 8GB of videos for a total run time of only 55 minutes. No bandwidth was spared.

Though the videos were encoded at 25FPS (via digital foundry) which.. kinda fell right in with the rest of the game's frame rate (which was also in the same ball park most of the time).

Dr Dogg

wh- wh- what?!?! My head says 'no' but looking at the earlier discovered entries and that they are for the most part slowly being released I might have to go bang some sense into it.

Bedlam

"Anime shit" Castlevania started much earlier than the GBA games...
On the GBA it started to bother me with characters such as Soma Cruz, the plot transferred to Japan etc.

My point was: as far as art style and feel goes, LoS is way more in line with the early Classicvanias than the Igavanias after SotN.

That was my point. The artstyle in Classicvanias had a distinct European feel. The Igavanias after SotN were heavily influenced by anime art.

Too bad the same thing cannot be said of the gameplay. LoS plays nothing like the earlier castlevanias.

Glass Rebel

On the GBA it started to bother me with characters such as Soma Cruz, the plot transferred to Japan etc.

My point was: as far as art style and feel goes, LoS is way more in line with the early Classicvanias than the Igavanias after SotN.

Luckily they made Order of Ecclesia which is the best Castlevania anyway :p

Bedlam

Too bad the same thing cannot be said of the gameplay. LoS plays nothing like the earlier castlevanias.
True. However, it still plays great and the combat is better and far more varied than in any GoW game (from which it obviously heavily borrows).

True. However, it still plays great and the combat is better and far more varied than in any GoW game (from which it obviously heavily borrows).

It's riddled with stupid QTE's and gaf hates QTEs. I remember James Rolfe shitting on this game.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
From what I heard the combat in Mirror of Fate is LoS lite. I loved the combat in MoF so I'll get this.

Bedlam

It's riddled with stupid QTE's and gaf hates QTEs.
There's quite a number of people on Gaf who love the game.

The QTEs weren't bothersome at all for me.

I remember James Rolfe shitting on this game.
1. Actually no, he didn't really shit on it. Hell, he had more negative things to say about Symphony of the Night in his series of Castlevania videos ("too easy", "only set in a castle as opposed to graveyards, forests" etc).
2. He is not exactly into modern games at all. Save for a few casual games on Wii etc.

Bedlam

ice giant is probably the most frustrating boss ever. And the early swamp areas are boring as hell.
I had no problems defeating him. Pretty good boss battle and I enjoyed the swamp area as well. Great atmosphere.

Dude, you need to stop with your exaggerations. Even if you didn't like that boss, there are hundreds of bosses in videogaming that are far worse.

lmpaler

I swear that this was almost officially confirmed when David Cox announced the PC version of LOS2? Anyway, my wallet is ready for the double dip.

Agreed, but Castlevania has been one of my favorite series since, well, shortly after birth lol(basically as far back as I can remember on CV 2). I enjoyed the console version of this, but on a new rig with high framerate? Sploosh

Top Bottom