• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just recently finished both Steins;Gate games. I need more like this.

Buzzi

Already reccomended, but my two cents are on Umineko (really, really special experience) and Fata Morgana, both smart titles with multiple levels of reading and amazing OSTs. They are also kind of similar to S;G in some ways.

As for "minor" products, the Ace Attorney trilogy, Ever17 and Remember11 are all great titles with some flaws here and there but must read as far as VNs go.

Rimshot

I don't get how you all get through those games, on the recommendations of GAF I've gotten Steins;Gate and it's really hard for me to stay with the game. I have to force myself as there's no gameplay elements at all it feels like. I've tried thinking of it as reading a book, but I don't think I could do that while sitting at the computer reading on the computer screen either for long periods of time.

T-Rex.

Banned
I don't get how you all get through those games, on the recommendations of GAF I've gotten Steins;Gate and it's really hard for me to stay with the game. I have to force myself as there's no gameplay elements at all it feels like. I've tried thinking of it as reading a book, but I don't think I could do that while sitting at the computer reading on the computer screen either for long periods of time.
That's why you buy a Vita. It has a bunch of the visual novels mentioned already, plus with the hack you can stream your PC games to it as well.

Steins;Gate is the GOAT. It's all down hill from here.

That said, Saya no Uta is one of the most interesting stories in the medium, and it's completely different from Steins;Gate. It's a horror story. Everything about the game is grotesque and unsettling - even the soundtrack - and the protagonist is completely unlikable. It is an R-18 game, and it deals in some really, really fucked up stuff.

Here's Kotaku's description:

It's less than ten hours hours long, but it's an experience that you will never forget, and you're unlikely to find or want to find anything else quite like it. Provided you have the stomach for it, I would easily rank it alongside Steins;Gate and well above Zero Escape, Dangan Ronpa, and Chaos;Head.

tl;dr: nothing will ever compare to Steins;Gate, why not try something completely different?
Well, I guess I know what I'll be doing over the weekend. This sounds great.

Definitely Root Double if you want a similar experience, also a sci-fi tale with a strong focus on the characters, more about the journey than its destination.

I/O and The Silver Case are also among my favorites, but they are more about the worldbuilding, they both offer an engaging cyberpunk story, so setting-wise this changes a lot.

They both offer an entirely different experience than Steins and RD, but if you like the cyberpunk genre, then go for it.

azyless

Is Root Double available on Vita ? Wikipedia mentions a March 2017 release worldwide but I'm not seeing it on the US PS store.

hank_tree

Is Root Double available on Vita ? Wikipedia mentions a March 2017 release worldwide but I'm not seeing it on the US PS store.

It is in Europe at least. I have a physical copy.

Also it's not good. Don't waste your time/money

Edit: Never mind. I was thinking of Root Letter.

Jimrpg

They're wind down games for me. Grab a cup of tea and chill out for an hour or something before bed. The no gameplay thing is great sometimes, it means there's always progress.

I played Fata Morgana on a desktop but it would probably be better on a laptop or vita.

cireza

Banned
I play VN only on Vita. Best way to experience them is on a handheld device.

Rimshot

They're wind down games for me. Grab a cup of tea and chill out for an hour or something before bed. The no gameplay thing is great sometimes, it means there's always progress.

I played Fata Morgana on a desktop but it would probably be better on a laptop or vita.

I play VN only on Vita. Best way to experience them is on a handheld device.

It definitely winds me down, that's the problem with it :) I get sleepy and uncomfortable sitting there. It seems the general consensus is to play these type of games on the VITA. Unfortunately I do not have one and it feels wrong to get one just for this.

Knurek

It definitely winds me down, that's the problem with it :) I get sleepy and uncomfortable sitting there. It seems the general consensus is to play these type of games on the VITA. Unfortunately I do not have one and it feels wrong to get one just for this.

If you have an NVIDIA GPU, you can always stream using Moonlight to your phone/tablet.

Usobuko

Banned
PxkTwoX.jpg

What in the world.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Did you guys already mention 999 and Virtues Last Reward a dozen times?

Zero Time Dilemma was okay, you can take it or leave it.

Everybody waiting after backing for the Vita version is still waiting and will be for the foreseeable future.

Did you guys already mention 999 and Virtues Last Reward a dozen times?

Zero Time Dilemma was okay, you can take it or leave it.
Many people mentioned them, including the OP who said he played them all so don't mention them. :p

Shizuka

Here

http://i.imgur.com/PxkTwoX.jpg

Don't jump into Remember11 tho. Try Ever17 first. Remember11 is the best VN which isn't fully finished even tho its more than possible to sort out the whole background story with the Infinity Timeline.

If you liked the harem aspects, then Grisaia series is good too. Its not similar in terms of plot but it has lots of girls with a decent story.

I still gotta try a few of those.

Shizuka

Ah, got it. I was confused 'cause it seemed like a sure thing in the articles I saw... guess not.
I'll put it in my Steam wishlist for now then.

It should've been a sure thing, it was part of the Kickstarter dealt by them. I'm still hoping we'll get it one day.

I never beat the first one, but moments ago I finished watching the anime.

I'm in tears. Not even kidding. This VN / anime / story stole my heart and blew my mind.

Guessing Steins;Gate Zero is my next stop? Wish I could hug someone right now.

MaxiLive

*Internet hugs*

I REALLY enjoyed the anime but I haven't got around to the VN's yet as they are pretty pricey on PC still but I've heard only good things about them.

HDRcze

Neo Member
You should imho countinue with Science Adventure series, and start with Chaos;Head fan translation. I'm playing it right now and while it's not as perfect as Steins;Gate, it's still really good (so far) and the MC is similar to Okabe (He's hardcore otaku and wimp). Then get Chaos;Child, it's supposed to be released pretty soon - Q3 2017.

I also recommend Ever 17, Root Double and Danganronpa series (play only VNs, STAY AWAY FROM ANIME)

Top Bottom